As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Does anyone have suggestions for how to build a thug to fight some EA Hinnom supercombatants/Thugs (Melqarts and Ba'als) as Xibalba? That is to say, I only have construction 4 and I have access to fire, death, blood, earth, and my nature is limited to the guys I would be using as Thugs (which is to say, my recruitable Onaqui. I have one with 1 Nature, and potentially I could get one with 2 or 3 but it's not guarantee) right now I'm making the Flesh Eater axe, boots of giant strength, girdle of might, and the armor of souls, and I've got a helm of horror in reserve I'll probably put on him. I don't know what sort of shield to go for (maaaybe the lead shield?) and I honestly don't know if it's worth building an Onaqui as a thug.

Any suggestions?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Not really. I've never been too good at fighting as a pretender. I tend towards an archmage/sorcerous god type character myself.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I've always been interested in building a Supercombatant pretender, maybe I'll try that next time I play.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    So, I'd like to start up a Penny Arcade multiplayer Play-by-Email game, if we can get enough players. I'll take suggestions on whether we should start in Early, Middle, or Late Age (I'm open to all options)

I'll be starting up the game on Llamaserver here is the FAQ I personally am not super experienced, so if you're interested in playing but haven't played it much/for very long don't worry that's totally fine.

I'd prefer at least 5 or so players but if I can't get that many I'm fine starting it with less people.

So, if anyone is interested in playing a game of multiplayer Dominions 4, here's a fine opportunity.

• Options
    I'm in, although there might be one or two times per month when I'll be unavailable for a good 3-4 days though due to work trips. If the game progresses relatively rapidly though, that's less of an issue.

• Options
    That's fine, hopefully it does go pretty fast, if the games I've played so far are any indication.

• Options
    Oh My GodOh My God Registered User regular
    I'm in if you need a player, but I'm really not particularly good at Dominions.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I will gladly lose this game!

• Options
    Oh My God wrote: »

Well, I can't necessarily speak for all the players who have (and might) join in, but personally I can vouch that I'm not particularly good either :P

Do any of you guys have any preferences for what age we should play in?

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    So I have no idea what is going on in this game, but I am playing it, and it is a thing. There are a lot of spells

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I am super new to this fine game and I would like to play it with other new guys too. So let me throw my hat in the ring for this pbem session if there is still a spot. It sounds like a great way to enjoy this game.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I fell into a Dominions hole recently, spending basically an entire extended weekend trying to get the hang of different nations. So far the only strategy I've really got a grip on is bless troop focus, in particular as Tir na nÓg and EA/MA Agartha. Despite looking through every guide I could find I have basically no idea how to create super combatants, thugs or even good support mages though, nor how to build a properly efficient army based on normal troops.

I kind of wish I could participate in a multiplayer game, but I know myself all too well to even give it a shot. I wish you all the luck though!

Vic on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I think that early age or middle age would be the best. A lot more interesting than late age due to the prevalence of mythological beasties. Also, I'm of of practice by at least 9 months, and wasn't very good to begin with, so we can all be terrible together. Might want to have a couple AI nations too just to round things out.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    Damnit Lulu get your servers back online. I need a print manual for this game!

• Options
    Oh My God wrote: »

Well, I can't necessarily speak for all the players who have (and might) join in, but personally I can vouch that I'm not particularly good either :P

Do any of you guys have any preferences for what age we should play in?

I'm not good enough for my preference to actually mean anything. :D

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Vic wrote: »
    I fell into a Dominions hole recently, spending basically an entire extended weekend trying to get the hang of different nations. So far the only strategy I've really got a grip on is bless troop focus, in particular as Tir na nÓg and EA/MA Agartha. Despite looking through every guide I could find I have basically no idea how to create super combatants, thugs or even good support mages though, nor how to build a properly efficient army based on normal troops.

I kind of wish I could participate in a multiplayer game, but I know myself all too well to even give it a shot. I wish you all the luck though!

Thugs and supercombatants are generally based on tough reliable commanders (hopefully fairly high HP, having something like awe or fear built in is great, ethereal is really good, and hopefully they'll have some magical/useful items when you build them) and you then just shove items onto them that make them in the case of a Thug useful for crushing province defense and small armies, and in a Super-combatant capable of potentially winning games. Items of course require construction to be researched (I personally don't usually go above Construction 4 since you can get a lot of what you need for Thugs from that level, but if you're building a Supercombatant, going to Construction 6 or even 8 is probably a good idea, so you can make the best items possible for your dude)

Here's a pretty useful list of items to consider putting on a Thug or SC http://dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Building_thugs_and_SCs

I'll start an EA game, I should have the room up a little later today, got to decide what map to use. You guys can go ahead and start deciding what nation you'd like to play EA. Oh, and it's mentioned in the Llamaserver FAQ but just to make sure everyone knows, to make a Pretender for this game you need to go to the Game Tools and use the Create a Pretender God option up at the top.

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    I'll probably go with Nifelheim. I haven't played a giant team since Dom 3, and I recall them being pretty fun. Might try making a very different pretender though, I always had a Father of Winters or whatever.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Okay so I've got the game made below. I've got the Hall of Fame set to 15, max players is 11 because that's the max for the map I've chosen, Shadowshore. I don't imagine we'll get that many, but I thought it was better to be safe. There are 8 Level 1 Thrones, 4 Level 2 Thrones, and 2 Level 3 Thrones for a total of 22 total points, of which 16 are needed to win.

In this game the official rule regarding player diplomacy from me will be for binding negotiations, for example for Trade and Non-aggression pacts. That is to say, if you make a deal with another player and agree to give a certain amount of gems in exchange for some of theirs, or to not attack each other and have to alert the other a set number of turns beforehand that you were breaking the treaty (so for a NA-2 you'd have to tell them the treaty is over and wait until 2 turns later to be able to attack them) you're not allowed to break the deal. If you do, I as the admin will take steps to rectify the problem, but I know we're all fine upstanding types so I'm sure no one will break the rule intentionally. The alternative to the binding rule is to either disallow agreements (which I'm told is rare) or to simply make them non binding (so it would just be words and you didn't necessarily have to keep promises)

Now, before you submit your pretenders I'd like everyone to state in the thread which nation they're playing since it's one per person and multiple people might accidentally pick the same nation, and since anyone can theoretically join on Llamaserver, if I see a nation signed up that no one has stated they are using it'll get booted.

http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=PennyArcadeEA

And if you're confused at any point on what to do you can ask me, or you can read the Llamaserver FAQ and hopefully it'll be cleared up.

Player Roster:
    Rhan9 - Niefelheim (?)
    Drake - T'ien Ch'i
    Elvenshae - Tir na n'Og
    Lord_Asmodeus - Ur
    Grey_Paladin - Ulm
    Moridin889 - R'lyeh
    Basil - Xibalba

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I'm playing T'ien Ch'i. My Pretender is ready to go. Should I go ahead and join or wait?

Drake on
  • Options
    If you've got a pretender all ready feel free to join the game.

• Options
    Ok, pretender file has been submitted. I should mention that it's passworded. If that's a problem I can resubmit an unpassworded version.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I... don't think so? Only reason would be if you like left mid game and never gave someone the password so we couldn't put you on AI, but I don't really foreseeing that, and there are ways around that problem anyway.

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    Yeah I don't foresee it being a problem either. The only reason I even mention it is because it's in the faq. But that seems to be more of a preventive measure for strangers dropping from your game. If I have to bail for any reason I'll just give you the password.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Thanks, hope it doesn't come to that though.

I have also decided which nation I will be playing, Ur! I hope this doesn't bother anyone, there's something I want to try and I've always liked them. I didn't see anyone mention them being their choice so I hope I'm not stepping on any toes.

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I'll play the Elves! I forget the actual name of them. They turn into the Irish the firbolg and daoine sidhe type in the MA game.

EDIT: The EA name is Tir na'nOg. They turn into Eriu in MA.

EDIT2: Signed up!

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    I too have submitted my Pretender. Oh, I thought I should tell everyone, if you've updated your Pretender or made a new one after you submitted, you can resubmit them and it will accept the newer to overwrite the old one. Same thing with turns when the game starts.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I'll submit my pretender once I get back home from work. Hopefully the time zone difference from being in Europe isn't a problem. And yeah, I'm playing Niefelheim. Trying out something a bit different from my previous Father of Winters, or whatever his name was.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I'll play the Elves! I forget the actual name of them. They turn into the Irish the firbolg and daoine sidhe type in the MA game.

Elvenshae playing elves? Color me shocked!

• Options
    I only know how to play one faction and that's in MA, but I'd totally try to lose not so gracefully here. Still trying to decide who to pick

• Options
    Well, who do you play MA?

• Options
    Ermor. The strategy isn't very adaptable to other races lol

• Options
    Ah yeah, they're not exactly a standard nation, I don't know if there's anything real like it EA

• Options
    Alright, signed up.

• Options
    Rhan9 wrote: »

It's so hard being typecast.

• Options
    Rhan9 wrote: »

It's so hard being typecast.

<- Someone from a Nordic country playing Niefelheim.

*cough*

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Soo.... any clue how many players we're expecting? I'd say that we'll get the game rolling once we get one or two more, or as soon as possible if nobody else is showing up.
    @Moridin889 : Will you be playing too?

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    Hm well, right now we're waiting on Moridin and possibly @Oh My God

So once we get a response from them (and their Pretenders if they're playing, of course), or it hits Sunday afternoon with no response from either, I'll start the game up.

• Options
    Awesome. I'm really looking forward to this.

• Options
    I'll play. Going to go with underwater cthulhu land so I can blame my badness on the taint of the void

• Options
    Just have no idea what sort of pretender I should make