As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TECH THREAD] Fridge, Dishwasher, Stove and Washer/Dryer talk ONLY, please

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I SHIT YOU NOT, I HAVE A PROTOTYPE FOR A PAIR OF SUNGLASSES THAT TURNS THE CENTRAL HEATING ON WHEN YOU NEED A SHIT

I KNOW A VC WHO WILL BE WELL FUCKING INTO THAT

• Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    One Plus One Preorder-a-thon was a nightmare but managed to successfully place an order. Now we play the waiting game...

• nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    Moto X came this morning! I had to run to school before I got it all set up, but I'm extremely excited!!

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »
    T4CT wrote: »
    I'm also strongly debating Hangouts as my default SMS app but man there are just so UI things I do nottt like about Hangouts

also the fact that it doesn't let me set individual text tones per contact (how is this not built into stock android)

This right here is 100% of the reason I switched to Textra.

Hangouts -> Select a conversation -> Top-right option menu -> People & options -> Chat message sound ?

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    the ps4 just dropped update 2.00, i'm doing it now

hopefully i can play a music cd now

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    nope. damn it

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    the ps4 just dropped update 2.00, i'm doing it now

hopefully i can play a music cd now

Music

CD????

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    nope. damn it

Shit. Does it play music files other than ATRAC yet?

• DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I thought latest update was supposed to have that USB music player thing?

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I think Music CDs require a royalty that they probably don't feel like paying. But they'll let you play some formats off of USB drives.

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    the ps4 just dropped...

*sharp intake of breath*
    ...update 2.00

Dammit. I've been waiting to see if the price comes down as we approach the holiday shopping season.

• POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    the ps4 just dropped...

*sharp intake of breath*
    ...update 2.00

Dammit. I've been waiting to see if the price comes down as we approach the holiday shopping season.
    i've seen 'em for $360 about once a month

lower than that right now requires lucking out on amazon warehouse

might be some bundles on black friday, but i'd be surprised if they were cheaper than $400

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I am utterly stunned that not only can the retina iMac run games, but in almost every test it blew away the old iMac

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/10/the-retina-imac-and-its-5k-display-as-a-gaming-machine/

that has to be some severe hardware wizardry

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I am utterly stunned that not only can the retina iMac run games, but in almost every test it blew away the old iMac

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/10/the-retina-imac-and-its-5k-display-as-a-gaming-machine/

that has to be some severe hardware wizardry

Yeah it seems to scale really nicely from its native 5k down to 1440p. I was worried that you'd have be running in 5k to get an acceptable picture quality, because that can still cripple multi-gpu desktops.

I wish displayport would hurry up with 1.3 though so you could use it as an enternal monitor as well, hopefully that comes with the 2015 version.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Yeah, I think Music CDs require a royalty that they probably don't feel like paying. But they'll let you play some formats off of USB drives.

It's the usual suspects, mp3, mp4, m4a...and 3gp

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

Wow, 3gp? For when you absolutely HAVE to watch that 17 second shaky 480p video you recorded with your dumbphone back in 2002...

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

Wow, 3gp? For when you absolutely HAVE to watch that 17 second shaky 480p video you recorded with your dumbphone back in 2002...

Nope!

Because you can't play video files.

Loving my new phone. I don't think I'll be getting a case. The wood back on my Moto X feels too nice to cover up. Also got $400 for trading our old GS2's in. Woo!

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    I'm also strongly debating Hangouts as my default SMS app but man there are just so UI things I do nottt like about Hangouts

also the fact that it doesn't let me set individual text tones per contact (how is this not built into stock android)

Hangouts -> Select a conversation -> Top-right option menu -> People & options -> Chat message sound ?
    Doesn't change the custom vibrate

ASimPerson wrote: »

Doesn't change the custom vibrate

What are the benefits to using hangouts over the massaging app?

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    You can see how far in the conversation someone has read. That's a big one for me.

Neurotika on
    That would be really nice. Hmm. Maybe I'll try it out for a little while.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    What are your impressions on wireless earbuds?
    I'd be interested in using htem at the gym where the cable sometimes is annoying.

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Well, on my phone at least (Nexus 5 with 4.4) the old messaging app doesn't exist anymore.

Also Hangouts integrates SMS with Google Chat (or whatever it's called now) which is sorta kinda their answer to iMessage.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I have a pair of wireless headphones.

The drop in audio quality for me is 100% worth the convenience when I go to and from work.

Not earbuds though, although I want a pair for when I ride my bike b

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    What kind? I had a pair of bluetooth ones but they had no volume control (and seemed to negate the iphone control or something. I can't recall, but it was annoying). I'd like a decent pair for running, cause the cord tends to wind up tangled around my arm or nearly ripping my ears off if it gets caught on a branch.

I also had some that loaded the music into a microSD but I never actually used those.

... I should probably stop buying cheap useless shit.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    God dammit google, let me preorder the Nexus 6

It's the 29th in the UK already.

That would be really nice. Hmm. Maybe I'll try it out for a little while.

This feature only works if they're using hangouts

I like hangouts but there isn't really a major benefit.

@nicopernicus‌ you just got a moto x as well, right? If you don't like hangouts try Textra or Hello SMS. Both are just nicer than the default messaging app (Motorola's default app is kinda blah)

Textra gives you quick reply which is also very very nice to have

edited October 2014
    @nicopernicus‌ you just got a moto x as well, right? If you don't like hangouts try Textra or Hello SMS. Both are just nicer than the default messaging app (Motorola's default app is kinda blah)

Textra gives you quick reply which is also very very nice to have

Yup, and I really like it so far. Thanks for the advice on the messaging app, I definitely don't love the default app. Any other advice on getting the most out of it?

Edit - also the best part of having a new phone is that I can download the hit mobile game Keep It Up ©blaisecorp again.

nicopernicus on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    el oh fucking el

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102132750

i know some of the people who work in CurrenC-like spaces and all I can say is I'm not surprised

this is the B team. maybe even the... C team.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    CurrentC sounds like the worst thing. Oh look it sends all this personal data and purchasing histories to stores and uses QR codes to make payments? No please?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    the worst part is, there's not really a good side here. we're stuck with Google Wallet/ApplePay NFC solutions backed by the credit card companies, or the CurrentC folks who want personal financial info, or i guess PayPal and their NFC wallet? not really anyone to cheer for here.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
    ApplePay is pretty good from my understanding

Why not root for that one

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    ApplePay is pretty good from my understanding

Why not root for that one

Well, it's Apple-only and the rest of us can't use it is probably the main one. Same problem with the NFC part of Google Wallet.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    It's been way to long since I hooked up my good headphones.

I wish I had a shorter cord so I could use them more often.

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I just wish I could figure out how to fix the wire on my nice sony over ear headphones

you know, the coily telephone type wire? In a couple of spots... something happened to it and it like reversed direction and I can not for the life of me twist it back the right way

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    Artreus wrote: »
    I just wish I could figure out how to fix the wire on my nice sony over ear headphones

you know, the coily telephone type wire? In a couple of spots... something happened to it and it like reversed direction and I can not for the life of me twist it back the right way

You have to wind the loops back the right way by hand along the entire length of the coil for each weird reversed loop thing. That used to happen to our home phone cord all the time, it's from stretching the coiled part too far.

This discussion has been closed.