As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TECH THREAD] Fridge, Dishwasher, Stove and Washer/Dryer talk ONLY, please

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I haven't used Poweramp in years. Had to get rid of it when my One X was giving me battery issues.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I don't know if this was a Seattle only thing but Comcast just gave everyone a free speed increase, basically took what your plan was and doubled it(just the downlink).

3990960953.png

Weaver on
  • Options
    I guess they already did it in Houston and maybe a couple other areas, here's the article for any WA folks. (google cache version because stupid paywall)

• Options
    Sorry, found a better one-

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102272828#.
    Comcast today announced that it has increased Internet speeds for residential customers in Portland, Salt Lake City and Seattle as well as those living in the Denver metro area and Colorado Springs.

• Options
    That's funny, because right now I'm only getting about 15mbps when I usually get 30 (but pay for 50)

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I've been walking by the Google Fiber building on the reg

Walking by and giving it the creeper eyebrows

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    I've been walking by the Google Fiber building on the reg

Walking by and giving it the creeper eyebrows

There's a company that will wire buildings with fiber on a case-by-case basis here in the city, but it's mostly new condo/apartment buildings that are just being completed. My building is over 100 years old and no way are the owners going to install network infrastructure into these old walls. So, like a lot of places here, stuck with either comcast or DSL that was already slow about ten years ago.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    In case anybody missed the announcement and is on T-Mobile, they're going to start rolling over LTE data on all of their LTE plans. The data can be banked for up to a year, then it starts rolling off on a month-by-month basis. They're also giving anyone on their 3GB LTE or more plans a pool of 10GB of LTE data that's good for a year.

There are also reports that people in some metro areas are seeing higher D/L speeds from T-Mobile, up to 60+Mbps.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    What does rolling over mean?

Like unused data banks into the following months?

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    What does rolling over mean?

Like unused data banks into the following months?

Exactly that. Like if I had 1.1GB left over at the end of the month, I'd have 4.1GB available the next month. Then the next month I'd have 3GB + whatever was left from the 4.1GB.

• Options
    Oh that is really cool

I pay t-mobile for unlimited data on my line though, and my brother doesn't really use LTE enough to take advantage probably.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    In case anybody missed the announcement and is on T-Mobile, they're going to start rolling over LTE data on all of their LTE plans. The data can be banked for up to a year, then it starts rolling off on a month-by-month basis. They're also giving anyone on their 3GB LTE or more plans a pool of 10GB of LTE data that's good for a year.

There are also reports that people in some metro areas are seeing higher D/L speeds from T-Mobile, up to 60+Mbps.

This would be a lot nicer if their signal was stronger in my area, and/or my phone's antenna is fucked. I feel like I go into any industrial building and basically go to 2g/lose signal always. I'm basically tethered to Wifi at work and home (though 4g works fine at my house, thank god). For some reason today it can't even hold a signal (usually sit at 2g in the office). Never had a problem with verizon like that around here. I've tried to ignore the issue but lately its been really annoying at work. That and the battery issues (wiped the cache partition again this morning, might backup and format the phone this weekend).

Really debating about paying off the phone and just biting the bullet and going back to verizon, which I would really rather not doing but I feel like there's not much of a choice. Its also super frustrating since T-Mobile claims this whole area is in their 4G band but...

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    The only place I don't get signal at in my town is near that walmart my buddy works at (the busiest one in town so I think it's mostly overcrowding the band or something)

And near my doctor's office which is actually near the mall, so again, probably a similar problem.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

This would be a lot nicer if their signal was stronger in my area, and/or my phone's antenna is fucked. I feel like I go into any industrial building and basically go to 2g/lose signal always. I'm basically tethered to Wifi at work and home (though 4g works fine at my house, thank god). For some reason today it can't even hold a signal (usually sit at 2g in the office). Never had a problem with verizon like that around here. I've tried to ignore the issue but lately its been really annoying at work. That and the battery issues (wiped the cache partition again this morning, might backup and format the phone this weekend).

Really debating about paying off the phone and just biting the bullet and going back to verizon, which I would really rather not doing but I feel like there's not much of a choice. Its also super frustrating since T-Mobile claims this whole area is in their 4G band but...

I also have trouble getting signal at work, which is an industrial style concrete building. If I'm near a window I can still get LTE, but at my cube in the middle of the room I get no signal at all. I don't have that issue at home, where I also get LTE.

• Options
    On the plus side blowing the cache away again seems to have fixed the battery drain, at least for the time being.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    the reason t-mobile has those problems is because it uses a higher frequency which is therefore easier to block with physical materials. it's not a problem that can be fixed, really.

next year they may be able to buy some low band spectrum, but until then, it doesn't matter how many towers they have, the signal won't penetrate.

it's the same deal for instance if you have a router that can broadcast 2.4 or 5 ghz signal.

5 ghz is much faster, but it has a shorter distance and can penetrate through less material than 2.4

Langly on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Langly wrote: »
    the reason t-mobile has those problems is because it uses a higher frequency which is therefore easier to block with physical materials. it's not a problem that can be fixed, really.

next year they may be able to buy some low band spectrum, but until then, it doesn't matter how many towers they have, the signal won't penetrate.

it's the same deal for instance if you have a router that can broadcast 2.4 or 5 ghz signal.

5 ghz is much faster, but it has a shorter distance and can penetrate through less material than 2.4

They've been buying 700MHz spectrum in some markets, but rollout isn't really going to start until next year. LTE Band 12 also covers TV channel 51, which is used in a surprising number of markets (the red/green circles on the map).

T-mo is expected to be a player in the 600MHz auction next year, but I dunno if they have the capital to keep it from AT&T/VZW.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    I did not know that

thank you for putting me some knowledge

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »

They've been buying 700MHz spectrum in some markets, but rollout isn't really going to start until next year. LTE Band 12 also covers TV channel 51, which is used in a surprising number of markets (the red/green circles on the map).

T-mo is expected to be a player in the 600MHz auction next year, but I dunno if they have the capital to keep it from AT&T/VZW.

According to that map, I am squarely in an area where a TV channel 51 is dominating that band. Wonderful.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Doing a factory reset on my Note 3. Hopefully that will help with the atrocious battery life I've been having for the past few months, if it was the result of some sort of background process running or something. There was a bunch of shit on there I never used anyway and this is faster than manually deleting each app I never used.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    The note 3 came with so much shit on it

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options

According to that map, I am squarely in an area where a TV channel 51 is dominating that band. Wonderful.

Yeah, having NYC, SF Bay, Chicago, and LA all covered by TV stations that haven't applied for a new channel yet really sucks for T-Mo. At least Atlanta will be clear once WPXA moves...gives me a reason to get a new phone next year :+1:

• Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    The note 3 came with so much shit on it

It really did, but that's not the shit I'm talking about. I'm talking about all the dumb shit that I, myself, installed on it and used once then forgot about. Besides, the majority of the shit pre-installed on the Note 3 can be turned off and ignored if not outright uninstalled.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options

So according to the map, it looks like my area might get 700Mhz coverage by T-Mobile eventually. Does that mean there's going to be a general improvement in signal quality in existing areas or just increased coverage in that area, or is it too soon to tell/predict?

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Naphtali wrote: »

So according to the map, it looks like my area might get 700Mhz coverage by T-Mobile eventually. Does that mean there's going to be a general improvement in signal quality in existing areas or just increased coverage in that area, or is it too soon to tell/predict?

Well, in general it means building penetration will improve massively. In rural areas it also means that a single tower can cover a wider area (hence why it was used for TV). I don't know exactly what their plans are as far as how many towers in an area they are adding 700MHz to, but a full rollout would get you both better signal in existing places and more coverage in places that don't have it now.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Doing a factory reset on my Note 3. Hopefully that will help with the atrocious battery life I've been having for the past few months, if it was the result of some sort of background process running or something. There was a bunch of shit on there I never used anyway and this is faster than manually deleting each app I never used.

Why not just buy a new battery?

That's one of the reasons I got a new phone. I love the HTC One but the biggest downside to the unibody aluminum thing is the lack of a removable battery. And those things just go bad after a year or two. Can't hold half the charge they used to.

So with the Note 4 I can just buy a new battery when this one starts to go to crap.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Artreus wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »

Why not just buy a new battery?

That's one of the reasons I got a new phone. I love the HTC One but the biggest downside to the unibody aluminum thing is the lack of a removable battery. And those things just go bad after a year or two. Can't hold half the charge they used to.

So with the Note 4 I can just buy a new battery when this one starts to go to crap.

Well, if the battery continues to suck then I will definitely buy one. But I figured if this would fix the issue then it's worth a shot. If it doesn't fix it oh well, no biggie.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    For Christmas my girlfriend's mom bought her a Surface 2 with my help. It was either the Galaxy Tab 4 or the Surface 2.
    The thought was that it would be to help her with school.
    I went into it knowing one of the cons is the windows app store based on word of mouth. Is that still the case?
    And since its for school I saw that it has a specialized version of Office. Is that just as good as the desktop version?

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Avoid all galaxy tab products imo

I have never shipped out for repair over and over and over again any single product line half so often as the galaxy tab line

The 2 is the worst, but it is bad even with the new ones

• Options
    Avoid all galaxy tab products imo

I have never shipped out for repair over and over and over again any single product line half so often as the galaxy tab line

The 2 is the worst, but it is bad even with the new ones

The general consensus I've picked up from around the web is that if your Samsung product doesn't have one or more of the following terms in the name, it's probably going to be awful:

Note
    Pro
    "S"

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Phewww! OK. Good thing that I didn't go with that.
    It was initially my first choice.

• Options
    Microsoft Office RT is a perfectly good version of Office 2013 built for the Surface 2. That machine is very good for basic schoolwork over most other mobile options and it's easy to carry to class and never fret about battery life or needing a stand.

The Microsoft App Store is still pretty barren compared to the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store but it has productivity apps so if that's what it's being used for there should not be any trouble.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Who's got two thumbs and just bought a new macbook pro because insurance stuff actually kind of came through?

8-) This guy

Considered using the settlement money to go up to a 15" but the 13" is something I can get now and also 15 is huuge

Also I can't find my gat dang Microsoft Office product key anywhere, and apparently it was never tied to my microsoft account, which suucks.

Gonna dig around my room some more to find it. Not that it's super important. Google docs or open office should have all I really need to do anyway.

edit: oh I found it in my email, nice

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    ..though now that I just bought that I find out about the HP Omen, which actually looks like a pretty good windows laptop

but no

macbook good

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Yeeeep.

Also get a free Evernote account add the Evernote Send via Email thing

Whenever you get software keys/licenses, immediately forward them to a notebook called Software

Boom done takes less than ten minutes to set up and under 30 seconds once it is

OCR will take care of the rest

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Also put them in 1Password too, especially if they have like, a license file you have to use and itll store it in your 1Password Keychain as an attachment

• Options
    Artreus wrote: »
    ..though now that I just bought that I find out about the HP Omen, which actually looks like a pretty good windows laptop

but no

macbook good

Ehhhhh, maybe they've come along but I haven't had great experiences with HPs consumer laptops. A lot of overheating issues under relatively mild loads. Of all the brands out there, they're the only one I'm totally soured on for a specific type of product.

• Options
    I liked the Moto360 that I got for my girlfriend so much, I went out and got myself one over the weekend. I didn't like my pebble all that much, but the Moto360 has grown on me immediately.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I need to reorganize my OmniFocus / Evernote etc before this new job
    I need to be on top of shit

poo
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I love this galaxy tab so much

This discussion has been closed.