As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TECH THREAD] Fridge, Dishwasher, Stove and Washer/Dryer talk ONLY, please

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    J3wuyIAh.jpg

Now on to writing an app for the thing

Edit: That Watchface is called DIN, by the way

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    You got the exact same model I will get!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    You got the exact same model I will get!

I thought about getting one of the other colors, but ulimately decided on getting the black one. I didn't get the steel version because wait was longer and somewhat because it's heavier- 7

And the regular pebble time really looks pretty nice already.

Now I'm thinking about getting another strap for it. Maybe a nato style strap..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'm planning on getting a nice utilitarian brown leather strap. There is a local place that makes WW1 wristwatch straps using a period machine. They are pretty nice.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Yeah, leather strap was also an alternative. At first I thought about a metal strap, but I don't know how it would look..

I think I'll go to a store that sells straps and Try a few out.

The rubber strap it comes with feels surprisingly well and weighs almost nothing... Perfect for using it as a fitness or sleep tracker

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I could use a watch. Maybe I should look into saving up to get a smart watch?

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    My general advice for smartwatches is that they're really evolutionary upgrades for people who already wear watches. If you already get your cell phone out of your pocket to check the time and your notifications, the utility is somewhat limited. That... could just be me, though.

• Options
    I guess I really hate fishing my phone out of my pocket all the time is why I like the idea of a smartwatch.

But yeah you've got a point.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Well, the pebble time has the advantage of like a week of battery time over other smartwatches- plus, at %0 it switches in some kind of voodoo battery saving mode where it just shows the time and lasts 12 more hours before it runs out.

Checking and being able to quick reply with canned messages and voice to stuff is pretty neat - You can even dismiss a message that you just want to read and not reply to from your phone as read.

Also, it's like what..$199 retail? That's a really really reasonable price compared to most other smartwatches. Pebbe time seems like the only mature product on the market as of now

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    I just got a notification on my PC to upgrade to windows 10?

Should I click "Reserve my upgrade" or...?

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I guess I really hate fishing my phone out of my pocket all the time is why I like the idea of a smartwatch.

But yeah you've got a point.

Then I have great news, smartwatches were made for you

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular

Do you want Windows 10?

• Options
    Peen wrote: »

Do you want Windows 10?

I don't know.

Is windows 10 going to be good?

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Just wait for it to be released and find out

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I've been using the tech preview for 6 months or so and yeah it's good

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Cool. I just hope the installation process is pretty painless then when it comes out.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    while we're on the topic of household appliances

what's a good vacuum cleaner that will work on tile floors? I've had a bissel for two years but even with replacing the filter it seems like its motor is just losing suck power causing it to... suck. are dysons actually worth the $texas they cost or is there a decent alternative somewhere between them and the cheapo vacs from wallyworld

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    LastPass had a breach

Change ya passwords

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

what's a good vacuum cleaner that will work on tile floors? I've had a bissel for two years but even with replacing the filter it seems like its motor is just losing suck power causing it to... suck. are dysons actually worth the $texas they cost or is there a decent alternative somewhere between them and the cheapo vacs from wallyworld

This dude did an AMA on Reddit about vacuums. He's a repair tech. The best of the best are Miele apparently, but it's worth a read if you want to make the best choice.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    LastPass had a breach

Change ya passwords
    how unexpected

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Just another reason I'm not in favor for a cloud based password manager

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    The lastpass data that was taken was 100000+ round PBKDF2. Provided that their disclosure is correct (and they've followed the three important steps so far, so there's some trust built there), your password is in danger of being broken sometime after the heat death of the universe.

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I need to find a way to sync my KeePass DB from home to phone to work that isn't Dropbox.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    In delayed double post news

My Fractal Design Define R5 arrived today.

This is easily the nicest PC case I've ever seen, 100% the nicest I've personally owned.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
  • Options
    I am going to build a new PC toward the end of the year, I think, and let Lady SH inherit my old one for playing WoW.

I want something that will decently play Fallout 4, and maybe do some VR stuff?? Probably throw a spare Win7 license on it and then immediately upgrade to Win 10, and I got a spare 4TB drive for it.

So all I need is

A case
    A CPU
    A MOBO
    RAM
    PSU
    GPU
    SSD for OS

shit.

• Options
    Well you have my case recommendation already!

• Options
    looks snazzy

I kind of want something small and compact, but I know that would limit a bunch of options and potentially add some serious heat/noise to it.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Cool. I just hope the installation process is pretty painless then when it comes out.

It's completely painless.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    if you get any kind of serious video card... GPUs are getting stupidly big these days. i just bought a midtower case that could not fit my older mid-ranged AMD

if you want to get a smaller case you have to consciously shop for a video card that will fit

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Build your own case out of a tree with your bare fucking hands

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Decius wrote: »

This dude did an AMA on Reddit about vacuums. He's a repair tech. The best of the best are Miele apparently, but it's worth a read if you want to make the best choice.

I fucking love my Miele. I bought it before that AMA, but it's been a stellar vacuum. It's the only device that's caused my wife and I to have a bonding moment around how much we love our vacuum and how it makes our lives easier.
    I've used dysons, electroluxes and some other stuff. This beats the pants off them. Lightweight, quietish and sucks. Filter bags make for easy cleanup too, and they hold quite a lot.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular

I've had a Dyson and I still have a Miele. The Dyson had the clutch go after 2.5 years. The Miele has been going strong for 4 years now and is just fantastic. And my parents have a 20 year old Miele that has only ever needed the belts changed. For as quiet as it is, it sucks up everything. But they are pricey.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Have there actually been some kind of specs released for VR games/software?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

I've had a Dyson and I still have a Miele. The Dyson had the clutch go after 2.5 years. The Miele has been going strong for 4 years now and is just fantastic. And my parents have a 20 year old Miele that has only ever needed the belts changed. For as quiet as it is, it sucks up everything. But they are pricey.

I ended up going for a higher end panasonic that the dude recommended on his amazon shop, so we'll see how that goes. the mieles were a little out of my price range (I just threw down on all new kitchen appliances so budget is tight for a while)

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i dont remember the brand of vacuum i have but its red and it deals with cat hair better than any device I have seen in my entire life, and that's really the only requirement

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    if you get any kind of serious video card... GPUs are getting stupidly big these days. i just bought a midtower case that could not fit my older mid-ranged AMD

if you want to get a smaller case you have to consciously shop for a video card that will fit

There's SFF GTX970s out there, and those are good enough for most things unless you want 4k or 1440p at >60fps (for the newest newest games with all details turned up). ASUS, Gigabyte.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Ugh what, the Pebble Steel went back up to $200, after being discounted to $150 for a while. Whyyyyyyyy

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I thought it was only 150 if you got in on the kickstarter?

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I'm planning on getting a nice utilitarian brown leather strap. There is a local place that makes WW1 wristwatch straps using a period machine. They are pretty nice.

If you want pointers on connecting a Pebble via Bluetooth to your proton pack through your smartphone I know a guy.

• Options
    TankHammer wrote: »

If you want pointers on connecting a Pebble via Bluetooth to your proton pack through your smartphone I know a guy.

I could use a way to tell overheating status from my wrist.

This discussion has been closed.