As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TECH THREAD] Fridge, Dishwasher, Stove and Washer/Dryer talk ONLY, please

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    It's probably better to just save your money and get it all at once

Prices drop and new components come out all the time

AtomicTofu on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Artreus wrote: »
    Man. My Note 4 has been running weirdly hot lately and dropping battery life faster than it probably should.

I guess I need to... factory reset or something?

Have you tried a normal restart?

yeah, it's still being a bit weird.

(edit.. actually.. tried it again just to make sure)

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Man. My Note 4 has been running weirdly hot lately and dropping battery life faster than it probably should.

I guess I need to... factory reset or something?

Have you tried a normal restart?

yeah, it's still being a bit weird.

(edit.. actually.. tried it again just to make sure)

My Note 3 was getting bad battery life (though it wasn't getting hot) and instead of taking the time to figure out what was causing it I just did a factory reset and it seems to have helped. Not brand new better, but then this phone is getting a little older and phone batteries seem to only last so long so I'll take what I can get.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I'm thinking that I'm going to switch to Verizon before my current billing period is over. T-Mobile has some great plan prices and little benefits, but I don't have good enough coverage. Building penetration is particularly bad.

I'm mostly debating on which phone to get. I currently have a Note 4 and it has been the best smartphone I've owned yet. Haven't had any issues to speak of and I really enjoy the large screen and multiwindow. I'm thinking I'd go with the S6 (probably not the Edge, but maybe). It seems like a good idea to go with a 64bit CPU for the long run. I am still tempted to stick with the Note 4, since I've had such a good experience with it and I know the phone's ins and outs.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Man, the Note 4 is barely 6 months old. Why you gonna get rid of a $800 phone after 6 months?

• Options
    Verizon and T-mobile are probably not compatible networks

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Didn't the FCC made it so that it's relatively easy to unlock phones to be used on other networks? I'm pretty sure the Verizon Note 4 is capable with GSM networks. In fact, i'm pretty sure it has a sim slot. I would look at my phone, but I'm feeling too lazy.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    If it has a SIM slot it will be compatible with many but not all GSM bands. You'll have to check to make sure your phone supports the GSM bands that the other carrier uses to make sure the phone is fully compatible and fully supported. It's possible it'll support the frequencies for phone calls but not 4G LTE.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Didn't the FCC made it so that it's relatively easy to unlock phones to be used on other networks? I'm pretty sure the Verizon Note 4 is capable with GSM networks. In fact, i'm pretty sure it has a sim slot. I would look at my phone, but I'm feeling too lazy.

My Note 3 on Verizon has a sim slot, so I'd figure the Note 4 would as well.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Verizon is a CDMA network, the Note 4 I have is a GSM phone. I believe that even though CDMA uses a SIM for LTE, the modems are different between CDMA and GSM versions.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Verizon only uses SIMs for LTE. The phones are still CDMA, which means you still can't just bring any phone over, which is frustrating as heck but I can't give up that network coverage.

Stupid sexy Flanders network.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Yeah Verizon phones all have unique hardware for their network and OS requirements for their bullshit software. It's why they're always last to receive major updates. I'm still waiting on Lolipop for my Droid Turbo

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    I still don't have Lollipop on my T-Mo Note 4, so it's not like I'm getting updates very quickly over here either.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I've kind of given up on seeing lollipop on my htc one m8 (t-mobile). maybe when the m9 drops? but t-mobile & htc said it would be like 3-4 months and we're well past that

edit: apparently you have to manually run the update check for it? just tried and now its there.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I'm also thinking of switching to an iPhone 6 Plus (gasp). I'm pretty entrenched in Google's ecosystem, but I did like the iPhone 6 Plus when I handled it in an Apple store.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I'm also thinking of switching to an iPhone 6 Plus (gasp). I'm pretty entrenched in Google's ecosystem, but I did like the iPhone 6 Plus when I handled it in an Apple store.
    Google has enough good apps for iOS that it's fine

I still keep all my contacts synced with Google and stuff

poo
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I've kind of given up on seeing lollipop on my htc one m8 (t-mobile). maybe when the m9 drops? but t-mobile & htc said it would be like 3-4 months and we're well past that

weird, same phone same carrier and I have it

it was maybe a month and a half ago

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    End wrote: »

you stole my upgrades end

how could you???!?!
    actually on a laugh I just checked for upgrades and it was available. weird it never prompted me before.

Naphtali on
  • Options

how could you???!?!
    actually on a laugh I just checked for upgrades and it was available. weird it never prompted me before.

look I needed it for the dps

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular

how could you???!?!

look I needed it for the dps

It's not like Naph is dpsing anymore anyway.

• Options
    i am still also shadow

you can't take that away from me

• Options
    not like I am either

I still login to WoW, but I never leave my garrison. IT'S MY HOME NOW.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Hey, question for everyone who is especially good at PCs

So I recently decided to actually make use of the HDMI port on my video card. Bought a nice, 25 ft, thick gauge HDMI cable for a song (13 bucks on Amazon, somehow way cheaper than anything I could find on mono-price) and hooked it up to my TV. Newer video cards have sound, so getting the sound onto my TV isn't an issue, but as I also continue to have my monitors hooked up to the card as well, getting the sound to pipe to the correct device has been kind of a chore. Everytime I want to play something on my TV, I have to change the default audio device to either my speakers or my TV.

Basically my question is: Is there a way to assign specific programs and applications to utilize specific audio devices upon launch? Or is it always something I'll just have to adjust manually and uniformly?

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Some programs and most games should have an option to change the default sound device in the audio settings.

I think for most Windows programs things, you'll have to change it from the control panel.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Hey, I don't know a better place to ask this. Does anyone have any suggestions for cheap video editing software? I'm on Windows 8.

Like, I'm not looking for anything crazy powerful, just maybe with more options than the standard windows video editor

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I'm now a wearable tech user. Got a microsoft Band for my birthday. Seems cool so far, look forward to customizing it more.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    I'm now a wearable tech user. Got a microsoft Band for my birthday. Seems cool so far, look forward to customizing it more.

I too am now a wearable tech user. I got a 1980's Casio calculator watch!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Yukira wrote: »
    Some programs and most games should have an option to change the default sound device in the audio settings.

I think for most Windows programs things, you'll have to change it from the control panel.

Windows sound stuff like that is a real pain in the ass.

I have a monitor/tv situation myself but I just have all the sound coming out of the same source. (actually I kind of have to since the only sound source available to me is my room's home theater system)

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    So my new job is fixing Macs, which I don't think I've mentioned before. Independent shop, so we do shit Apple doesn't, like component-level screen repairs.

I just replaced the LCD panel in an Air. Shit took me like 90 goddamn minutes, but I fuckin' did it.

I feel like a golden god, basically.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm late but eh: I like the idea of the Chromebit for turning my tv into a living room computer but it's big, 55 inches. Does anybody have an opinion about whether that would scale ok?

• Options
    I use my 60" tv as a second monitor and have no problems with it.

• Options
    so I'm thinking about trying to tackle digitizing my dvd/bluray collection and moving towards a streamed solution. I've already got a bluray rewritable drive and I've ripped a few things, but I haven't bothered handbreaking and compressing down any of the most of the mkv files yet. problem is the PC I'm doing that with is a full tower and old hardware that I'd rather not leave running a lot as a streaming solution

what's the best way to go about it? get some sort of higher end NAS or building some low power mini PC? I was thinking of from there to use plex to stream to my fire tv & roku. any downsides/upsides to this? I probably should consider going raid storage for redundancy? i'm open to suggestions pretty much for any part of this

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The only thing I have to offer is that Plex will only stream mkv files and not directly ripped video_TS folders. Or blu-ray ISOs, DVD isos or blu-ray folders.

I found most of that out the hard way after I ripped my entire film collection and then had to handbrake convert everything.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    Tech thread! Does anybody around here run their own podcasts? And if any of you use mixers, which ones?

I'm specifically looking at getting a mixer with phantom power and at least 6 XLR ports. The the thing I'm caught up with right now is it seems that unless I want to spend a ton of money, most mixers lump all the channels together into one file when they come into the computer.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    so I'm thinking about trying to tackle digitizing my dvd/bluray collection and moving towards a streamed solution. I've already got a bluray rewritable drive and I've ripped a few things, but I haven't bothered handbreaking and compressing down any of the most of the mkv files yet. problem is the PC I'm doing that with is a full tower and old hardware that I'd rather not leave running a lot as a streaming solution

what's the best way to go about it? get some sort of higher end NAS or building some low power mini PC? I was thinking of from there to use plex to stream to my fire tv & roku. any downsides/upsides to this? I probably should consider going raid storage for redundancy? i'm open to suggestions pretty much for any part of this

I have been very happy with my Drobo5N as a NAS, which doubles as my Plex Media Server and a Time Machine for me and @stareosarus 's MacBooks, plus my Windows PC backups using Acronis TrueImage, plus running a few other things for my media center stuff. I didn't want to have to dick around with creating a RAID array or anything. With the Drobo, when I saw TB drives were on sale, I'd pick up a couple and it was as easy as popping out the smallest drive, popping in the new one, and letting it figure out the rest. Now I have

SFJ48BC.png

All of that runs over the network to the FireTV in the living room, where Plex does a pretty good job with most things. If you're gonna end up ripping and converting stuff, spend some time on Plex's support site to go over the best way to rip and name your files so Plex can figure them out and pull in all the fancy stuff like show art, backgrounds, etc.

The downside of a NAS + FireTV is, if you have any video that requires transcoding the NAS won't be up to the task.

I ran into this on a few HD movies, and so I ended up side loading XBMC née Kodi onto the FireTV and now that I've worked out the kinks it does a great job, since the FireTV's hardware is more than capable of direct-playing media, but official Plex app has to work within the software constraints set up in the FireTV firmware.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    The Plex app makes it awesome to steam stuff to an iPad or a FireTV stick, or stream it through the web interface; one of the guys in the office usually streams stuff from home to have some background noise while he's working on something (with headphones on)

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I use this for switching audio between my speakers and the TV I use as a secondary monitor. Sits in your taskbar, right click to loop through your available audio outs. Short of finding something that automatically switches audio when it detects audio being played by something on the secondary monitor (and I don't even know if something like that exists), it's the easiest I've seen audio switching for Windows.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Hey, I don't know a better place to ask this. Does anyone have any suggestions for cheap video editing software? I'm on Windows 8.

Like, I'm not looking for anything crazy powerful, just maybe with more options than the standard windows video editor

Depends on how cheap you want it, but I've used Sony Movie Studio before and it mostly filled my needs. There was some stuff with chroma-keying where it wasn't exactly up to scratch with stuff like Final Pro, but considering the price it's fine. It's even on Steam. I can't speak to the latest version, though, which is apparently optimized for touch-screen PC's and therefore have some UI issues with overly large buttons and such.

Tom's Guide review for Sony Movie Studio Platinum, which is $60 bucks on Steam.

I've used Premiere Elements as well, which is also fully competent as a consumer-grade version of Premiere Pro, which is now under some weird subscription service. You can still get Elements as a regular-ass buy it and it's yours program. From what I remember, it had some of the same limitations as Movie Studio and ran a little heavier, but it's easier to get to grips with and you can sorta feel that it's made by a company that's known for their photo and video editing suites. It is pricier than Movie Studio, though.

Tom's Guide review for Adobe Premiere Elements, which is about $80 on Amazon.

And if you really don't want to spend money but don't mind spending some time getting to know stuff and going through tutorials, Blender is not only a 3D modelling program but also a video editor and it's $free. Can't say I've ever used it, though.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Also hey, looks like there's a groupon for a 2013 Nexus 7 for $150. 25% off. Seems neat. Don't know how well that version held up. My 2012 one is pretty much unusable at this point. Still not really sure what happened there.

Like it wasn't that I just came to expect faster hardware, it just became a laggy/crashy piece of shit over time. I think I even formatted it and everything at some point

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    My 2013 is still going strong and feels faster with 5.0.x than it did with 4.4.4.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
This discussion has been closed.