As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Endless] Legend and Space - Endless Space 2 is out! Freebies on Games2gether. See page 16

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    Also, because I'm hyped for Homeworld, I think I'll cast off my fear of Space games in general and pick up Sins of a Solar Empire II. I'm am craving some pew pew.

Wait. Sins of a Solar Empire 2? Is that a thing?

Or do you mean Sword of the Stars 2?

Um, Rebellion? Is that not 2? It wouldn't surprise me if that's the case.

I guess you could call it Sins 2, but I have never heard anyone do that until now.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Just finished Broken Lords on hard and I really enjoyed it. Dust bishops behind Stalwarts made my armies invincible. Though 2 of the AI's were Roving Clans, so I don't think I had access to the marketplace the entire game.

I do agree though that this game seems to be built for wide empires vs tall. I think Civ 5 had better balance between the 2. I almost lost to one of the Roving Clans but I just used Dust to build a couple more armies and wiped them out in 3 turns. After which I had so many points, dust, and science no one was going to catch up. I'm interested in trying the Cultists next to see how having only 1 city works.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    The Broken Lords is also a descriptor. They're not balanced well.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    I do agree though that this game seems to be built for wide empires vs tall.

This is probably my favorite part about the game. I love the eXpand of the 4Xs the most, probably, and I'm always so sad in Civ 5 when your empire is just going to collapse if you expand further, and you seriously should focus on the cities you have for an optimal result. Endless Legend gets to a point where you can add as many more cities as you want and it's delightful!

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    And I realized that Broken Lords are immune to dissapproval because the pentalies are simply not as severe as that of Civ V. Half food and production are pretty bad, but Broken Lords dont use food. Also, no Barbarians in helicopters.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    After owning this game for over a month, I still have yet to see the third age with any of the factions. I think I have started with each of them, played about 30-50 turns, and called it a day for whatever reason.

I think I am always banging my head against the wall in exactly how many cities i should have, or when is a good time to declare war. I don't think any of the decisions I am making are particularly informed so at this point none of them really have any weight. Does anyone have any good starter guides or resources that could also give me a good idea of things to look for when i develop my empire? Since I;m only in age 2, it doesn't seem like I can specialize cities, does this change down the road? For instance, when can you tell whether or not it is a good idea to expand, either by building another city or another tile?

I think my goal for this game is to complete a single game with any faction on any difficulty.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I tend to build everything in all of my cities so I might be the wrong one to ask. Maybe try the lowest difficulty with the vaulters? That way you only really need one garrison army since you can teleport it to besieged cities. It was my first win.

Things can get pretty tedious if you manual all the battles. Might want to just auto them.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I originally did every battle manually, because it was a bit novel, but in my most recent games, I've been going full auto just for the sake of faster resolves, and I haven't noticed much of a difference.

Also, I pretty much build everything as well, with a priority on food production, followed by dust. This allows you to leave most of your population on gears, but with room to meet current objectives.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I think I like the cultists the most in my brief experience with them. I guess i just have to have armies posted outside all of my converted minors just to keep gigantic armies from mowing them all down (which is what happened the first time i tried them).

Edit: and yeah, i've been auto-ing all my combats.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    I originally did every battle manually, because it was a bit novel, but in my most recent games, I've been going full auto just for the sake of faster resolves, and I haven't noticed much of a difference.

Also, I pretty much build everything as well, with a priority on food production, followed by dust. This allows you to leave most of your population on gears, but with room to meet current objectives.

There are circumstances where manual is better. Especially if you have severely wounded units. But yeah, auto is pretty good.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

There are circumstances where manual is better. Especially if you have severely wounded units. But yeah, auto is pretty good.

I tend to manual early fights when my armies are weaker, but late game it's usually a steamroll and I auto them all it seems. Manual can make a huge difference though, I've won battles I shouldn't have before simply through positioning and focus fire that the AI can't seem to counter.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    That's definitely true, but after a while I get tired of the units misinterpreting my orders, and let them handle it themselves.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    edited February 2015
    After owning this game for over a month, I still have yet to see the third age with any of the factions. I think I have started with each of them, played about 30-50 turns, and called it a day for whatever reason.

I think I am always banging my head against the wall in exactly how many cities i should have, or when is a good time to declare war. I don't think any of the decisions I am making are particularly informed so at this point none of them really have any weight. Does anyone have any good starter guides or resources that could also give me a good idea of things to look for when i develop my empire? Since I;m only in age 2, it doesn't seem like I can specialize cities, does this change down the road? For instance, when can you tell whether or not it is a good idea to expand, either by building another city or another tile?

I think my goal for this game is to complete a single game with any faction on any difficulty.

Global happiness is a good guide for how many cities to have. Keep building cities until the next one will make your cities go beneath Content. That means, generally, about 4 cities with only Sewer Systems, and then maybe more like 6 with central markets. If there are some juicy unexploited tiles, or if you are just really satisfied by having nice big cities, start building boroughs (if happiness can tolerate the hit) when you have about 4 cities with 6-8 pop.

You don't really have to worry about specializing cities until later ages, where there are some things that can be built once/empire (in age 4 or 5, I think). You can specialize as needed by just shifting all of (or some of--be as granular as you want) your city's population to generate any one of the FIDSI resources. I love how flexible specialization is--I want a certain amount of gold to buy a hero from the marketplace, I can set my best industry city to become a Dust powerhouse for a few turns.

On declaring war--it's often nice when you just got a big advantage, like getting to age 2 first, because you'll have the upgraded tier of armor and they might not. Or you see there's a city with one guy defending it and no big army in sight--you might be able to get away with taking the city, then suing for peace. The AI is often pretty amenable to truce: "You have taken our city that meant you no harm." hahaha, they get so sad.

Cultists are a weird faction and just don't play like the other ones, but if you like them, more power to you. Vaulters are very easy due to winter penalty reductions and teleportation (I finally beat a Serious game with them; hooray! Not ready to turn it up to Impossible though).

credeiki on
  • Options
    That's definitely true, but after a while I get tired of the units misinterpreting my orders, and let them handle it themselves.

Curious what you mean by misinterpreting? The only times I usually have the units do things I hadn't intended is when their target dies prematurely or moves unexpectedly somewhere they cannot reach.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Bullhead wrote: »

Curious what you mean by misinterpreting? The only times I usually have the units do things I hadn't intended is when their target dies prematurely or moves unexpectedly somewhere they cannot reach.

Correct, and then they wander off in the opposite/wrong direction, get caught in a crossfire, and suddenly I might as well have clicked auto.

• Options

Correct, and then they wander off in the opposite/wrong direction, get caught in a crossfire, and suddenly I might as well have clicked auto.

Fair enough, wasn't sure if you were meaning something where you want them to move to a spot then fire (as it took me a bit to figure out how to give sequential orders to the units).

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options

Fair enough, wasn't sure if you were meaning something where you want them to move to a spot then fire (as it took me a bit to figure out how to give sequential orders to the units).

Wait, you can give sequential orders to the units? If I want them to move, then fire, I put them in offensive stance, then tell them to move. Is there a better way to do this?

• Options
    Yeah, you can click for move, then shift click for attack? Something like that. I gave up after a while.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Its control I think. Click on the square to move to, then control click who to attack.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    Its control I think. Click on the square to move to, then control click who to attack.

Sounds correct, and I'm not sure you can order them to do much more than move to point a, then do action (attack/defend/etc), but it definitely helps control some of the AI stupidity.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    If you don't want them to wander from where you put them you can just put them on hold position. They'll go where you put them and will utterly refuse to move to attack anyone else.
    In fact for some races you can have a strong ranged unit with strong defensive units set on hold position around them and the melee enemy can't get through, so the ranged nuker ... well...basically nukes them.
    That sentence was meant to have a snappier finish.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

I could use some starter tips too. I'm having trouble getting over the learning curve hump to get 'into' the game. (Having a few roving bands of ranged-killer demons wander through my Wild Walker all-ranged here/troop forces didn't help...)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I think early glassteel equipment will always take out the ai. I forgot how exactly I won on endless, but it was through conquest.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

I could use some starter tips too. I'm having trouble getting over the learning curve hump to get 'into' the game. (Having a few roving bands of ranged-killer demons wander through my Wild Walker all-ranged here/troop forces didn't help...)

You can upgrade your troops, as well as your hero, with better weapons and armor. It took me about 5 plays to figure that out. Tutorial isn't the best.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Endless Legend free update lets you build a spaceship

I still haven't managed to get more than about 50 turns into a game so this news doesn't affect me so much but some people here might be interested in this.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Endless Legend free update lets you build a spaceship

I still haven't managed to get more than about 50 turns into a game so this news doesn't affect me so much but some people here might be interested in this.

It also (supposedly, I haven't played a game yet) fixes the ATI/AMD 64bit crashes that were going on, amongst other bug fixes.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I was looking for a reason to give this a go after dropping it for... something else, I don't recall. More end-game content sounds worth pursuing

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Just picked up Endless Legend. Very fun so far, I like the mechanics, and personally I like it better than Endless Space.

One question...I can't seem to find a way to heal my damaged units. I'm playing as the Vaulters and I'm not seeing how it's possible.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    You generally heal by not doing anything. Ending the turn without using movement/action points will restore chunks of health, you'll heal more by being in a city or friendly territory tile.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    :O
    I didn't know not moving healed you more!
    It makes so much sense! I'm an idiot! I was using up all my movement actions thinking "Wow they take a while to heal."

Morninglord on
  • Options
    :O
    I didn't know not moving healed you more!
    It makes so much sense! I'm an idiot! I was using up all my movement actions thinking "Wow they take a while to heal."

You right! Yeah I just saw they were slowly gaining health...but if I let them sit there they gain back health much quicker. I'm a dingus.

I really like how regions work in this game. Oh, and winters..the tutorial didn't really bring it up...so when I hit it...ouch. Suddenly my towns are barely getting by, and my armies are kind of far away with reduced movement speeds. Oops.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    The winters also get worse and worse as the game goes on.

• Options
    Oh boy.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yea, not only do they get worse, but they also get longer and the period between them gets shorter. Once your heroes gain enough experience the top level abilities let them ignore the effects of winter. If you are stationed in a city there is one that lets the city ignore winter and if you are with an army a different ability lets the army ignore the movement penalty.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Don't the vaulters get some techs and upgrades that make them comparatively good at winters compared to everyone else?

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Winter ameliorating techs are very strong in EL.

• Options
    Yeah they get some kind of a winter shelter I believe.

I like the vaulters, it's easy to use their abilities to really push down the tech tree quickly.

I need to get better at focusing my cities...I just spam build everything available...not smart. I need to get my 4x hat back on.

Also, I find I almost never buy another hero. They're just too expensive.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    Also, I find I almost never buy another hero. They're just too expensive.

Always, always, always buy more heroes. Try to get someone acting as a governor in all your cities; they pay for themselves in improved production pretty quickly.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    a high level cult hero offers:

45% more science, influence and economy
    an additional 20% more science, food, and industry
    +6 to all villager production
    immunity to winter

so it's pretty huge

• Options
    Well damn, ok then. I find I just don't have enough money half the time. Looks like I need to get better at not just building spamming.

camo_sig2.png