As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Search for Pins Experts - PAX South

Shadowscars22Shadowscars22 Registered User regular
Hey guys,

I'm in the early stages of preparing a panel for PAX South about the financials, rarity and mechanics of the Pin trading hobby. I think it would be an interesting panel, and it's worth at least trying to submit application.

I'm looking for one or two people who would be experts in either Pins, collectibles value, Financial forecasts, or another related field. With just a few, and knowing the fields of expertise of those speakers, I can submit a rough plan for the panel.

If you commit, and are selected, you must able to come to PAX South, and able to speak of your topic in front of a few 100s people. Should we be selected, we'd all receive Speaker badges for PAX.

Is there anyone interested in doing that?

Visit my website, thepintrader.com, the first Pinny Arcade store!

• Options
    darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    I can help if needed.
    I'm going to south.

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • Options
    FrostbyteFrostbyte Registered User regular
    If it's after the dealer hall is closed, I'd be happy to join. :)

• Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    I'm not so much a financial expert as I am a "guy who spends too much money on pins".

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    @shadowscars22 if you have trouble finding people here, you might try contacting some collectible shops in the area. They might not know about Pinny Pins, but might be able to speak well on collectible trends in general.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    rentfnrentfn Registered User regular
    I check e-bay daily and read the boards non-stop. Don't think I'm an expert but would help out if needed. I'll be first in line for the panel if it's approved!!!!

• Options
    purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    If I could possibly afford the airfare/train I would join up for this in a heart beat. I miss the days of the $79 fly any where specials. :(

• Options
    DiffusionDiffusion Pin Cushion OmahaRegistered User regular
    Well I collect pins and have helped run a local card / board gaming store in the area now for the past 8 years, so I could be considered a collectible expert I guess, although for a panel of this scale at Pax, half of me thinks It would be better to have someone like Brian (if he is ever available) on the table to give us info from the inside.

Everyone's favorite "Bag of Pinny", Proud member of The Pin Cushions, Prinny hat pinster.

My pins are right here!
    Feel free to send me a trade request!
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Do you think this is something PA would want as a panel? Considering it's discussing their products being sold on third party sites and whatnot.

• Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    Guys guys guys guys guys guys guys...a "Design a Pin" panel. Mind blown.

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Do you think this is something PA would want as a panel? Considering it's discussing their products being sold on third party sites and whatnot.

I'm not sure you will know until someone submits it and see if it gets picked. Having Brian on the panel might cause it to drift from the op's stated purpose to more a "tell us all the secrets" panel. I think if the people can be found it would be great to have just traders\experts on it. Let PA do their own panel about pins some day, which I would love to also see.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    I agree Beker, if they would rather not have a panel of that kind it's alright too, but I won't know until I try.

The possibility of failure kills too many great ideas before they're attempted, in my opinion.

I'd also like a PA pins panel; if my idea happens and is a sucess, it might steer them in that direction!

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    As a person who has submitted what I thought at the time was a ridiculous panel idea, let me say "just submit it".

• Options
    Oh Zerzhul, surely you knew...

Now we'll want to know what was that ridiculous idea! :)

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Oh Zerzhul, surely you knew...

Now we'll want to know what was that ridiculous idea! :)

I feel like he's talking about the PAX Prank one, which was actually a great panel from what I watched online.

And I'm all for a panel like this, so don't let my post discourage you, it's just my mentality for things like this. I'd personally love to get a pin panel of some sort going at East, so maybe some of us can get together to discuss that later.

• Options
    Yeah, that's the point, it worked! :)

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    I am going to be attending South, though possibly Enforcing. I'll sit on if possible, and if you want me.

• Options
    drchiadrchia PAX CFP Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    drchia was warned for this.
    This sounds like a neat idea and is definitely a panel that I'd try and find a way to attend. I'm not sure if I'd be able to find time to help, but if the schedule permits I'd be more than happy to.

Besides my OCD pin collecting habits (many Enforcers...and even some PA staff can attest to my 'problem' as they like to call it), I'm also responsible for one of the largest MTG organizers/vendors in the country. We handle large events, such as Grand Prixs (shameless plug for GP Baltimore in December), World Magic Cup Qualifiers and Vintage/Legacy World Championships (again, shameless plug for the Eternal Weekend October 24th-26th in Philadelphia). I've been dealing with MTG for over 20 years now so at least with respect to that collectable, I'm somewhat of an expert.

On a side note, I've been meaning to take some pics of my Pin collection for a while now to post. They are currently contained in 2 pin binders, both of which have been drawn on, front and back, by Mike and have been signed by the entire PA staff and the cast of Strip Search, plus a few others. I'll attach a quick pic or two that I took a while ago, but they've since been updated. Ignore the weird layout of the pins in the second pic...I just threw them in there during East 14

mod edit: removed embed of oversized image
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/jv/oqw56w82baw8.jpg

mod edit: removed embed of oversized image
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/vh/dgnmkv0v2f9q.jpg

rxuxqn224ejb.jpg

zerzhul on
  • Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    THAT IS SO FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!! I have exactly the same binders, Mine have plain black covers at the moment, and have been planning to print something out for a while, but i think im going to get them drawn on now, they look fantastic!

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    It's funny too because I never would have thought to get them drawn on. I was setting up on the Thursday before East14 and Mike came into CFP to show his son around. I had my binder laying out on a table and thought he might like to see it. He asked me if it was cool to draw on it and of course I said yes. As he was doodling on it I thought to myself, "I can't believe I didn't think of this before". It kind of evolved from there. First it was Scott and Kris, then the Strip Search cast, finally the PA staff. I'll take some full pics soon and post them for everyone to see.

• Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I have been planning to get their signatures but haven't decided what I wanted signed, until now. I will definitely bring my folders this year, hope you dont mind me copying :D

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    Not at all! Glad I could help you decide :)

• Options
    Those are some pretty great binders

• Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I'm the COO of a plush toy company, but I'm not sure plush financials will translate to pin trading. I'm also not sure what you're looking for in terms of financial forecasting - aftermarket values? PA certainly has their own internal numbers re: pins which, while likely quite impressive, are not great fodder for an interesting panel. It would sound more like an investor conference call.

Axon on
  • Options
    Thanks guys, we have found a team of dedicated people and we are in the process of preparing for submission. I believe the panel would be very interesting, both for newbies to the hobby and for veterans who would like to know some in dept details about the secondary market of pins.

I'll keep the forum posted on how this goes!

• Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    Thanks guys, we have found a team of dedicated people and we are in the process of preparing for submission. I believe the panel would be very interesting, both for newbies to the hobby and for veterans who would like to know some in dept details about the secondary market of pins.

I'll keep the forum posted on how this goes!

If this goes ahead make sure someone records it for those of us on the other side of the planet :)

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    I have been planning to get their signatures but haven't decided what I wanted signed, until now. I will definitely bring my folders this year, hope you dont mind me copying :D

I suggest taking along a silver or gold paint pen for them to use.