As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moving to Switzerland

SolventSolvent Econ-artistกรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
So it looks pretty likely that I'm moving to Geneva, Switzerland. This is pretty huge and I've never moved internationally before.

I'm asking H/A if anyone here can give me advice on all and anything Geneva. Such as, but not limited to the following:

- How do I get an apartment? What are the good websites to check? What are 'standard' arrangements w.r.t utilities, etc.? Are furnished apartments common, or not (quick Google answer: it seems not. Actually, I may have to tote my own stove)? What sort of price range am I looking at for a 1 bedroom?

- What's the job market like for English-speakers? For both professionals, but also service industries? I'm covered, but I'm asking for my spouse.

- What's the Craigslist (in Australia we have Gumtree) equivalent, so I can buy the household stuffs for cheap when I get there? Is it even remotely friendly to anglophiles?

- Banking. I hear the Swiss are good at it. Here in Australia I can get a transaction account and a linked savings account (paying 2.5% interest!) with no fees. Does that sort of thing exist in Switzerland? I realise the rates won't be so good, of course, but from having a quick look at the websites of the bigger Swiss banks it seems like the monthly fees will be considerably higher than I'm used to.

- Anyone got standard (even better, Australian-expat-centric) advice on maintaining investments/bank accounts at home while resident abroad?

- Good phone companies/internet providers etc., I suppose?

I guess there'll be more questions to come. Post your Switzerland related insights to the comments.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    All I have to comment is that Geneva is bloody expensive, and that anecdotally the job market is solid for Anglophone professionals due to the vast numbers of international companies there.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I'm not a resident but I visited Switzerland on business last month and had lengthy conversions with a native of 30 years and I think I can give you a little perspective

One I will echo Dis that Switzerland has a pretty crazy cost of living. Food, in particular, is very expensive in Switzerland. So unless you are making great $ then you will need to get used to cooking, because basically a hamburger is 20 dollars there. If you eat out with your spouse you can expect to routinely shell out $80+ at even modest restaurants. Some other practical consumables don't seem to be quite so expensive relative to the US, but food is killer.

Geneva in particular is quite a wealthy city so you can expect that to be as true as anywhere else in the country.

As far as English, my impression is that you can live pretty comfortably there being only an English speaker. I find about 1 in 3 people speaks at least some English, and many places of business staff people who can speak English.

But for employment in the service industry, I think the expectation would be that you at least speak basic German. At the professional level, I think that English only *can* work. I work in Pharma and there are plenty of people walking around Basel that only speak English.... I suspect it's very industry-specific though.

There are laws about US citizens and Swiss banking... if you move more than 10k USD from the US to CH, then you have to file with the IRS. I imagine you'll probably be doing that in the course of moving, so buckle up.

I didn't visit Geneva, but Zurich is absolutely amazing and I love it. It's about a 2 hour train ride. The train system is awesome and very good for getting around.

thats off the top of my head, might be able to field more specific questions.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    But for employment in the service industry, I think the expectation would be that you at least speak basic German. At the professional level, I think that English only *can* work. I work in Pharma and there are plenty of people walking around Basel that only speak English.... I suspect it's very industry-specific though.

Geneva is in Francophone Switzerland, I suspect a service worker would be expected to know something of both languages+English+Italian.

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Don't live there. Live in France and commute. It's a 10 mile drive and will save you thousands. It will also be easier to find an apartment.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    When you get there, tell us. Is the chocolate really that great? :)

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    it is.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    There is a lot of international presence around Geneva, Google, the banks, pharma. Switzerland is doing pretty well economically, growing with very low unemployment, so applying specific skillsets may work out pretty well. And yeah, consider living just across the border in France, though as an Australian that may get into some weird visa issues. Getting paid in Francs and paying rent in Euros sounds pretty good, though no doubt you're not the only one with that idea.

http://www.internations.org/switzerland-expats/australians seems like a really good resource.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I know someone who was in Geneva for 8 months for school and the food prices was his biggest issue. He was close enough to the French border that he would drive across to France to do his shopping, it may be an option for you.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27