As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Daily Show, Nightly Show, Last Week Tonight, & Full Frontal] Noah makin' it rain!

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    scherbchen wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »
    And, Munchma Quchi is the single most hilarious bit ever.

Suq Madiq
    We can't forget papa Likka either.

Watching Colbert lose it is some of the best times watching this show.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    O'Reilly doesn't have a sense of humour? No way!

They've guested each other before (or at least, Colbert had O'Reilly on), and O'Reilly's been on the Daily Show a couple times - he always seems more reasonable on Jon's show than on his (Bill's) own show. He's still a bit shouty, but I usually don't see the really awful stuff that I see on his own show.

I can only conclude that, like so many other TV personalities on the hard right, 'Factor O'Reilly' is a character, played a specific way on his show to a specific audience. Like Report Colbert, Factor O'Reilly's views are somewhat more extreme than his real ones (though probably not much more). It's just that he plays them straight to appeal to hard-Right people, rather than deliberately being a buffoon.

Stephen adopts extreme views in a goofy way to satirize the Right. Bill adopts extreme views in a serious way to appeal to the Right.

Hard to believe this was 8 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QquTUR9nbC4

The best part is still O'Reilly's staff cracking up.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Who-Psyd wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    I remain partial to his imitation of Donald Trump

Hopefully I snagged them all;

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5
    Part 6

With a shout out to the bit that will forever hold a place in my heart: Prince Charles Scandal

You appear to have 6 links to the Op of this thread there somehow.
    Trace wrote: »
    oh my god that Prince Charles bit.

One of Colbert's best Daily Show Segments If for nothing else than the fact that he cannot hold character for how utterly ridiculous his lines are.

I was also always rather fond of Colbert's Daily Show segment exclusive on the Republican's new "big tent."

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Who-Psyd wrote: »
    You appear to have 6 links to the Op of this thread there somehow.

Oh ffs.

Let's try that again.

Part one
    Part Two
    Part Three
    Part Four
    Part Five
    Part Six

When all else fails, pretend you're going to share their shit on twitter for valid links.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Watching Colbert lose it is some of the best times watching this show.

There's something I love about things that comedians find funny. I guess there's just this baseline assumption that in time they become inured to such things.

I'm also a fan of the self-deprecating humour route, particularly at Jon's expense. "Jon Stewart looks at kid's junk" and the like.

I wish I had a full list of those clips, but I can't seem to find a common denominator.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    The stage term for people cracking up is called "corpsing" (possibly because the last thing you want an actor on stage whose character is a dead body to do is laugh). Maybe try looking for that.

If you meant the graphics that make Jon sound like a perv, the tag they use on the site is "questionable graphics".

Shadowen on
  • Options
    The former: good to know.

The latter: AMAZING. YAY!

Whelp, I know what I'll be doing tonight.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Jon Stewart Touches Kids
    Jon Stewart Jizz-Ams in Front of Children
    Jon Stewart Looks at Kids' Things
    Uncle Jon Wants to Show You Something
    Jon Stewart's Windowless News Van for Kids
    Jon Stewart's Story Hole: Remember, it's Our Little Secret!
    Jon Stewart Looks at Kids' Junk
    Jon Stewart and Anderson Cooper Look at Gaping Holes
    Jon Stewart Wraps his Head Around a Miner's Shaft
    Come on Jon Stewart
    Drop a Load on Jon Stewart
    Two Established Television Personalities Penetrate Each Other While People Watch
    Jon Stewart Unloads on Anthony Weiner's Chest
    Jon Stewart Fucks Himself With His Own Mouth
    Jon Stewart Offers Strongmen His Dic-Tip
    Jon Stewart Examines Other Men's Boners
    Jon Stewart Tries to Figure Out What He's Allowed to Put in His Mouth
    Jon Stewart Fingers Some Assholes and Then Gives Them a Vigorous Tongue-Lashing
    Jon Stewart Uploads His Stream on Your Facebook
    Jon Stewart Delves into Your Briefs
    Jon Stewart's Barely Legal
    Jon Stewart Pulls Down Your Pants and Touches Your Penis
    Jon Stewart Fingers Tax Evaders
    Jon Stewart Probes Your Holes

This is easily one of their best running gags.

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I just saw the Cheney bit from before the break :bigfrown:

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Thought to myself today 'Hooray, new Daily Show and Colbert Repo- ...oh.'

I'm sad now.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    why is it all but impossible to find Colberts Get Lucky dance montage?

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    "Even we started on Monday, and we're so lazy, dot dot dot..."

Fucking magnificent.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    oh my god that moment of zen

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I always thought it said "Your moment is in."

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    You...might want to see a doctor about that.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Why would he want to see a doctor about a hat?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    So, this came up from the Colbert Report on my Facebook feed:
    "Watch the last episodes of The Colbert Report before they're gone January 12: http://on.cc.com/1IsIXKn
    ► Something different in late-night is coming to Comedy Central. Tune in to The Nightly Show on January 19."

I guess it was silly to think they would just keep that website up with all the clips and videos forever. But :bigfrown:

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Keep circulating the tapes?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Yeah that makes me sad. I'd have loved them to just stay up forever... but that was a pipe dream, obviously.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Pretty sure they could cash in by releasing a DVD of the last show and what went into making it.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I would pay just for video of the conversations that must have happened between those people off stage.

• Options
    I'd pay for a working link to the goddamn Get Lucky dance.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Highly unlikely seeing as the network doesn't want to pay the song fee after it has been aired.

edit: And since we're dealing with Viacom here, it will also get taken down from YouTube or other places as soon as it is uploaded.

OldSlacker on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Someone better back up that database and save all those vidyas. It'd be a damned shame to lose all of that.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

How much ya gonna give me? :V

e: No idea why this works, really. It's a password protected video, but it works from the channel page. Bravo, vimeo.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Someone better back up that database and save all those vidyas. It'd be a damned shame to lose all of that.
    I wonder if there will be a movement in Colbert Nation to make a full compilation of episodes.
    At least the SuperPAC shenanigans should be preserved for future generations.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »

How much ya gonna give me? :V

e: No idea why this works, really. It's a password protected video, but it works from the channel page. Bravo, vimeo.

glad to have it, but god damn that is a poor quality, choppy as hell video.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Just watched last night's episode.

Props to Utah.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    It's hilarious how stupid this topic can make people. Like, it gets people off the street, helps them get their lives together and gives them a foundation to return to a functional life, for less than what the current system is costing us, but it's like, 'free houses? Fuck the lazy bums!'

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Here's the issue. On paper, it sounds like a win for everybody. It helps the homeless get their lives on track, and it saves the government money.

However, if you're of the mindset that homeless or poor people are "takers, moochers, parasites, etc." then you just go "Well so what if it costs 20k per homeless to have them on the streets, and 10k if the government houses them. If they just weren't lazy bums and got a job and bootstraps like my old grandpa taught me about, then it'd cost the government $0!"

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The other segment was nice. It hid the not very subtle message behind a veil of.confusion for a good while.

Also, the subject was not sea cows, and I can't help but find the entire notion hilarious. I think it would have been better it it were not sea turtles, but....

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Here's the issue. On paper, it sounds like a win for everybody. It helps the homeless get their lives on track, and it saves the government money.

However, if you're of the mindset that homeless or poor people are "takers, moochers, parasites, etc." then you just go "Well so what if it costs 20k per homeless to have them on the streets, and 10k if the government houses them. If they just weren't lazy bums and got a job and bootstraps like my old grandpa taught me about, then it'd cost the government $0!"

Well that's really the whole point, is that if you can show in an absurdly red state like Utah, that doing it this way is more beneficial to everyone; then you can show it anywhere.

Our program is primarily targeted at getting the chronic homeless somewhere to live and then providing services to them in order to get back on track to get a job and then build themselves from there. It doesn't do much for the transient homeless or the sporadic homeless who are in and out of their own housing/jobs, though there's no reason it can't be expanded to the latter, the former is a more difficult problem because of the nature of not really being able to nail down a place for them, though, in general, they have the same sort of crisis and rehabilitation needs as the chronic homeless...they're just 'off the grid' so to speak.

What Utah has found is that the average 'chronic' homeless person in the state cost the state ~$210k a year all things taken into consideration, from shelters, to emergency care, to crisis events and so on. This program reduces those costs to the state to ~$21k a year and since it puts getting help for addictions, mental illness, job training and such issues after having a stable shelter to live in, providing dignity and security, it is a win/win for everyone. I mean, quite literally, no one loses under this program. Even the 'bootstraps' people have nothing to say because this program actually does that, probably better than most any other welfare sort of program, for a fraction of the cost, and little, to none, of the bureaucracy.

It's easy to watch that clip they had on TDS and just from the general overbearing cynicism of the world these days, assume that they were either whitewashing it for some 'feel goods' or not really telling the whole story.

But that's the thing, they were. The program really is that straight forward and simple, and other conservative states are beginning to work on similar programs (Wyoming and Montana, atm, and afaik Colorado already has something similar).

From a personal perspective, I've been getting really increasingly frustrated lately by the complete lack of Christs teachings in not only Christianity, but in my damn religion in my own damn state, even (and to me most egregiously) by my own damn church. So things like this where, sure, from a purely pragmatic view it is just solving problems; but ultimately is the kind of charity we're supposed to have (bootstraps are bullshit), makes me feel a bit better about humanity.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    I'm curious how one applies for a "free" apartment. What are the requirements to be considered, like who is considered "sufficiently homeless"? And does the apartment remain free even after they've gotten a job and established a stable life for themselves?

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I got the impression that the cost of the apartment is shifted onto the occupant gradually as they get their life in order.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    http://youtu.be/P1EtSBxm0S4

Poor John Oliver and his lego man haircut.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I'm curious how one applies for a "free" apartment. What are the requirements to be considered, like who is considered "sufficiently homeless"? And does the apartment remain free even after they've gotten a job and established a stable life for themselves?

I'm not entirely sure how you 'apply' but I imagine the state just works with local shelters and food banks, along with having information from police and hospital records, and they probably just go from there. I can find information on the program, but there doesn't seem to be any sort of 'application' (for this specific program, there are plenty of other housing assistance programs that are income based in the state, that have applications).

The housing itself isn't income/milestone dependent (though I'm sure they have recourse to remove someone under whatever circumstances), but I'd be surprised if they didn't take a % of your pay, if you cross a certain income threshold. If that specific information is public, I can't find it anywhere. Again, this is permanent housing they're providing, there are other parts of the same program to provide temporary housing for a larger number of people with less critical needs; but for this specific thing, I don't think there is any income dependence or requirement, though again, after a threshold I imagine there's some onus on the person getting the benefit though they aren't going to be kicked out if they start making too much money (I think the idea is that they'll move into their own place if they get stable enough, and that house opens up again; with the fallback of the acknowledgement that could be permanent)

Also, to be clear, at least from my understanding, that 'reduce homelessness by 72%' (or whatever the number was) figure is figuring the chronic homeless rate, not the overall homeless rate, including the aforementioned transient and sporadic homeless population.

But it's something, and I have a hard time thinking of a better way it could be done; a roof over you head and the numerous benefits that provides is so important to so many other rehabilitation programs, that the fact that so many states/governments makes housing dependent on somehow magically getting clean, getting a job, getting help with mental illness, without a stable place to live or regular shelter, is completely absurd.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    http://youtu.be/P1EtSBxm0S4

Poor John Oliver and his lego man haircut.

Those shoes are strikingly brown.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    DanHibiki on
  • Options
    BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

That would be cool, but Chuck Nice would be even cooler.