As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Daily Show, Nightly Show, Last Week Tonight, & Full Frontal] Noah makin' it rain!

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Its more a rich person thing. Its funny for all the whining about taxes from our upper classes I bet they pay them a lot less often than us normies.

It probably depends on where you define "upper" class. The majority of even the 1% probably pays a higher tax bracket than most; it's large corporations and people making significant capital gains that pay less tax than others, which would basically fall into the 0.1% or so. Of course, there are always solid reasons for that sort of thing in theory; if you have significant corporate income tax and significant capital gains tax you essentially wind up double taxing that income (the corporation gets taxed for posting a profit, major stockholders get taxed for their stock rising in value), but whether those reasons pan out is another matter.

The long and short of it is that most owners of small businesses (by the legal definition) who are pulling in good money, high end lawyers, high end doctors, etc. (the people on the low end of the 1%) are probably paying, depending on location and housing, 40-50% of their net revenue in taxes; you have to reach far higher than "merely" upper class to start to pay less taxes (either via loopholes or via low rates on capital gains).

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Lanz wrote: »
    ...and a dude on the panel just suggested we force SRS on the boston bomber and then allow him to be gang raped in prison

What the fucking shit

If Wilmore was any good they wouldn't have to constantly advertise his show at the end of the Daily Show.

God I hope that wasn't intentional...

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Like I mean there's kind of a difference between "Man this show is badly done" and "BRING US THE BODY OF THE GUILTY THAT WE MAY CUT IT'S LIVING FLESH AND DELIGHT IN HIS SCREAMS UNTIL HE SCREAMS NO MORE"

Tonight The Nightly Show happily danced over that line and repeatedly referenced how morally right it feels it is to be on that side of it.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Nightly Show was just awful tonight.

Full disclosure: I'm Canadian. We haven't head the death penalty in like fifty years. I'm not necessarily opposed to the death penalty, but I find the exultation a lot of Americans seem to find in it more than a little creepy. (I'm aware that a lot of Americans are opposed to the death penalty and even some of those that aren't treat it solemnly. There are Canadians who want the death penalty back and probably some that jerk it to the idea of it happening. Still, the media narrative seems to be "kill those motherfuckers and have a fucking party about it.") So I kind of expected at least one of the panelists to be the "Yes let's kill this motherfucker and pop the champagne!" type. What we got...

I didn't mind the first segment too much, but the panel discussion was appalling. Larry actually made something approximating a point during the first segment, even if he seemed a little too into it, but the second segment had no real debate, it was "How torturous an end does this motherfucker deserve?", with Alex Wagner occasionally trying to put in a, "Could we not celebrate horrible death and torture?" comment.

And did anyone else notice Wagner straight-up left after the middle segment? Maybe she just had something come up or they went longer than she expected and she had to run, but I would not be surprised if she just went "fuck it, I'm out, I don't feel safe around you creepy fuckers" after that panel and they had to scramble for someone to fill her spot and came up with that "Hey let's, uh, get someone from the audience who asked a question before the show started!" thing.

The third segment might have even been vaguely funny if it hadn't been tainted by that terrible middle segment. "AHAHAH! We laugh and death and dream of ways to make it more torturous! Now let's confess what would get the justice system to kill us and imagine a silly way to be killed by it!"

And at the end, I found myself thinking, "I just saw a symptom of everything wrong with American culture." I think I'm going to find something else to do at 10:30.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Wilmore lost me permanently last night.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, last night's TNS was just gross.
    For a while now, I've been thinking "This show isn't great, but it could get better". After last night, nope, I'm out.
    It's actually impressive in a twisted way that they were able to make an episode blatantly worse than the one where they let an anti-vaxxer ramble on because they wanted to 'show both sides'.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I'm going to try and catch it this afternoon, but it won't be the reason I stop watching.

Even with the recent changes, he strikes me as a poor-man's Bill Maher. At least Maher has the decency to be a douche on only one night a week.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I'm going to try and catch it this afternoon, but it won't be the reason I stop watching.

Even with the recent changes, he strikes me as a poor-man's Bill Maher. At least Maher has the decency to be a douche on only one night a week.

To be fair, Maher has so much condensed douchery, that it could easily be unpacked into a less concentrated amount of daily douche, instead of saving it all up.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    ...and a dude on the panel just suggested we force SRS on the boston bomber and then allow him to be gang raped in prison

What the fucking shit

eh, don't worry. Bill Maher made just about the same joke because rape is funny and edgy!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Maher is much more of an asshole and genuinely dangerous in his stupidity and bigotry.

If you were ever going to support capital punishment Tsarnaev is the kind of case it would apply to. No doubt of his guilt, mass murderer. Still against it personally but I'm not super offended by Wilmore supporting the death penalty here.

The asshole panelist calling for him to be tortured in prison can go to hell though.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Wilmore's support of the death penalty in and of itself wasn't what pissed me off in the opener, so much as devolving into batman villain murder schemes to execute Tsarnaev

But even that was blown out of the water by Richardson in segment two, along with the general sense of feeling like capital punishment seems to make some people feel they have social clearance to indulge in outright barbarism

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Aaaaagh. Fucking hell that was horrid. Fuuuuck off forever TNS.

Also no, no no no no. I hate "this is a case where you can support capital punishment". People always bring up the special case of "right but we KNOW this guy did it" as though it blows the whole argument out of the water. My opposition to the death penalty exists in part because we constantly murder innocent people, but mostly it's that we don't need to be killing people full stop. Prison exists. It works poorly, but it could work better. The sooner we stop acting like the solution to crime is to murder "the bad guys", the sooner we can have a functional justice system.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Maybe they should've had Darren Wilson arrest Tsarnaev.

• Options
    Yeah. That was a thing.

It felt like at any moment one of those guys was going to start mansplaining why it was important to put the guy to death. You could see her smile drop for a second as she realised her viewpoint was never going to get any serious conversation. Wouldn't be surprised to find out she used a 'I've got an interview' excuse to get out of there.

Plus, having two comedians on the panel, guys who by trade will say the most outrageous shit to get a reaction, pretty much meant that conversation was never going anywhere good.

That show was pretty reprehensible. But, I'm not watching any further episodes simply because Wilmore's a douche, the writing/'jokes' are terrible, and even with the changes, the panel is a waste of time. I would almost rather watch Craig Killborn Daily Show episodes than this turd.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I feel bad for Alex, she's on a day time show for MSNBC so she's already got a tiny audience, and then she has to be on that panel. Should have gotten Maddow, she would have gotten a lot more animated.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    So, it seems like taking TNS out of the thread title would be an action most of us would support?

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Keep it. I'm sure it will still come up from time to time.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    If it is ever taken out, replace it with @Midnight.

They're more mocking pop culture than the news, but they're at least good at it.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I feel bad for Alex, she's on a day time show for MSNBC so she's already got a tiny audience, and then she has to be on that panel. Should have gotten Maddow, she would have gotten a lot more animated.

Maddow would've taken over the show.

It'd be the Nightly Show with Rachel Maddow at the end.

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    I think I'd be fine with that, honestly.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'd back it. I generally appreciated Wilmore on TDS, but TNS has been losing me for a while. Full disclosure, I haven't even watched it in a couple of weeks at this point, and in trusting people's judgement in here, there being a full stop horrible episode in the mix isn't driving much desire to change that.

I think keeping the name in the title remains the right thing to do; this is the place to chat about things that happen on the show, even if it's because they're horrible instead of because they're awesome.
    If Wilmore was any good they wouldn't have to constantly advertise his show at the end of the Daily Show.

That feels unfair. Jon had an ending bit throwing over to Colbert for years and it was something I genuinely liked. I'll concede these do feel a bit more forced as 'bits', though.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Forar wrote: »
    I'd back it. I generally appreciated Wilmore on TDS, but TNS has been losing me for a while. Full disclosure, I haven't even watched it in a couple of weeks at this point, and in trusting people's judgement in here, there being a full stop horrible episode in the mix isn't driving much desire to change that.

I think keeping the name in the title remains the right thing to do; this is the place to chat about things that happen on the show, even if it's because they're horrible instead of because they're awesome.

That feels unfair. Jon had an ending bit throwing over to Colbert for years and it was something I genuinely liked. I'll concede these do feel a bit more forced as 'bits', though.

the handoff bits are also mimicking what the major news networks do to keep people fed into the machine.

Matthews to Hayes to Maddow often has a 5-10 second bridge conversation to hand the audience over to the next.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Officially giving up on TNS, too much of the show is taken up by the terrible panels that have half their duration devoured by comedians throwing in jokepinions and it just destroys a format that's already strained to the breaking point by trying to squeeze it into 12 minutes. Then you get the occasional episode where the other half is obliterated by people with actively stupid/ignorant opinions and aren't challenged over it because it's a "difficult issue", like that vaccine episode.

• Options
    As many of us noted back when it aired, the vaccine episode was very frustrating.

The doubling down on it with the 'review' episode was where they really started losing me.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I never thought he could carry his own show just because at worst, I just didn't think he was funny.

Then the anti-vaxx episode happened and I thought, as well as not being a good comedian he also appears to be a moron.

Then this recent super bloodlusty episode happened and it sounds pretty offensive and cements in my opinion that yeah, he's an idiot.

My guess is all hopes our political comedy hour at 11:00pm hangs squarely on how good Trevor Noah is as the new Daily Show host. I can see them maybe keeping The Nightly Show on if it still gets a good lead in from The Daily Show, but if after Jon leaves the ratings for both tank, then I guess the party is over.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well the daily show used to exist before the colbert report, so its entirely possible if the nightly show fails than they'll just put like crank yankers the next yankeration after it like the old times.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The Nightly Show has already failed, the only thing keeping it on the air is a strong lead in from The Daily Show. I'm saying if the Daily Show loses its audience after Jon leaves then both shows will get the axe and we could done with that genre of comedy during that hour altogether.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    If the ratings tank for both, they'd probably try at least one attempt at salvaging TDS, but I could see TNS getting yanked right quick.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    When the Nightly Show got pitched as The Minority Report, I pictured their "panel" segment as being like the TDS Correspondent bits where they bring in a panel of people experienced in the topic at hand that bluntly puts to bed whatever incorrect notions you had of that topic.

They should do that instead of "Larry Wilmore brings on three guests, including his comedian friends, and we all pretend all sides are equal to the argument"

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    notdroidnotdroid Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I had already stopping watching The Nightly show a little while ago, and judging from the latest comments I'm glad I did.

It's really sad that we lost some amazing political satire for what is essentially a show where people with horrible view can go on to say horrible things with the host quietly nodding or cheering them on instead of challenging them in any way.

notdroid on
  • Options
    I thought TNS was going to be like a 'couch' show and they'd talk about a thing like it was My Dinner With Andre.

I only gave them as long as I did just to see if they could find their feet. Evidently they did.

• Options
    I thought TNS was going to be like a 'couch' show and they'd talk about a thing like it was My Dinner With Andre.

I only gave them as long as I did just to see if they could find their feet. Evidently they did.

I mean it wasn't too hard; they just needed to look in their mouth

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Its more a rich person thing. Its funny for all the whining about taxes from our upper classes I bet they pay them a lot less often than us normies.

It probably depends on where you define "upper" class. The majority of even the 1% probably pays a higher tax bracket than most; it's large corporations and people making significant capital gains that pay less tax than others, which would basically fall into the 0.1% or so. Of course, there are always solid reasons for that sort of thing in theory; if you have significant corporate income tax and significant capital gains tax you essentially wind up double taxing that income (the corporation gets taxed for posting a profit, major stockholders get taxed for their stock rising in value), but whether those reasons pan out is another matter.

The long and short of it is that most owners of small businesses (by the legal definition) who are pulling in good money, high end lawyers, high end doctors, etc. (the people on the low end of the 1%) are probably paying, depending on location and housing, 40-50% of their net revenue in taxes; you have to reach far higher than "merely" upper class to start to pay less taxes (either via loopholes or via low rates on capital gains).

Just like the rest of us, then.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I swear it seems like our national news media is becoming more and more like Paparazzi with that ridiculous Hilary coverage.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    #FireWilmore

I wanted TNS to succeed. I liked Wilmore's Daily Show bits and thought that his show would cover issues a bit more seriously than TDS.

Then he had a child killer on, doubled down on the child killer, and jerked off about the death penalty with Brooklyn's douchiest comic until he pissed off an MSNBC host and the mayor of Newark.

Eventually he'll have a hostile guest, or face rejection from someone he really wants on, and I don't know what he'll do. I'd like to think he'd leave or improve his show, but his behavior has been less than mature.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    #FireWilmore

I wanted TNS to succeed. I liked Wilmore's Daily Show bits and thought that his show would cover issues a bit more seriously than TDS.

Then he had a child killer on, doubled down on the child killer, and jerked off about the death penalty with Brooklyn's douchiest comic until he pissed off an MSNBC host and the mayor of Newark.

Eventually he'll have a hostile guest, or face rejection from someone he really wants on, and I don't know what he'll do. I'd like to think he'd leave or improve his show, but his behavior has been less than mature.

wait what

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    #FireWilmore

wait what

Hyperbolic reference to anti-vaxxer.

• Options
    Anti-vaxxer reference (and a bit of an extreme way of putting it)?