As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Daily Show, Nightly Show, Last Week Tonight, & Full Frontal] Noah makin' it rain!

ForarForar #432Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
edited April 2016 in Debate and/or Discourse
500px-Dailyshow_logosvg.png
Last_Week_Tonight_title.jpg
The_Nightly_Show_with_Larry_Wilmore.png

The Daily Show has seen one spinoff come to an end, yet like Hydra, two have risen to take its place. With Jon Stewart retiring this year, Trevor Noah has been given the nod to take up his role. No one knows when exactly that will be, but the current rumour/estimate is later this year.

John Oliver, having done such an exemplary job as the guest host while Jon was filming Rosewater, has been given his own show, and is knocking it out of the park once a week on Sundays.

Larry Wilmore has taken up Colbert's old slot following the Daily Show.

This thread is to discuss those shows and their topics/segments. While there's no hard and fast rule, in general if something is big enough to discuss for several days, it might deserve its own thread, or perhaps even have one already, where that discussion would be better served.

FoxMosque-young.jpg

OP shamelessly stolen from @Henroid.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
Forar on

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Continuing from previous thread:

Here's the mainstream summary of the lead argument: http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/01/lead-crime-link-gasoline

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Oh, I'm sorry, I was not meaning to imply that misuse of police authority and/or rise of police power is causing the reduction in crime. I was actually just wondering if it is becoming a fair question to ask if your odds of being the victim of the police are anywhere near the odds of being a victim of a crime. And I also like to have numbers to be able to think about these things, to ask, how common is it really? Not that I'm saying civil asset forfeiture isn't a problem either.

Reduction of lead in the atmosphere reducing crime is interesting, I haven't heard that one. I've also heard it said there was a possibility that the increased access to abortion was a factor.

Pretty sure he meant bullets.

• Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    Actually, if you look one post above you and read that fascinating article you will see that I was right about what he meant. I suppose it could be that a reduction of lead in the atmosphere is leading to a reduction of lead in the atmosphere though ;)

I had heard a bit about lead before but actually in the context that the younger generations have higher IQ's than their parents because of it.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Here's the official lead study if you wanna read it, but that motherjones article is fine too.

TLDR: The best correlation for the rise and decline of violent crime is rise and fall of leaded gasoline. The study wasn't just on one area, but on many areas. Violence in lightly leaded areas was lighter than heavier leaded areas. The same with higher violence areas, the lead was also higher. The research also correlates with other countries that banned leaded gasoline, but in accordance with the time table of their lead ban. Police actions, social economics, and other factors count, but they vary wildly from area to area. Lead is so far the only constant between regions, that's why I personally believe it holds up

The reason it's a theory is cause there is a time delay between children being poisoned and then growing up to commit violent crime. It's difficult to prove, because who (aside from fuel companies) would poison thousands children to confirm or deny it?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I'd still say socio-economic factors are the prime reasons. Not just that poor people have less hope, etc. But that of course they're poisoning the areas of the poor and disenfranchised. They're sure as hell not going to dump that shit in Bel Air or someplace like that.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So, this week's John Oliver. Right about the 13 minute mark.

Who the fucking hell decided that came within a million miles of satisfying the 5th amendment?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Man that court briefs thing with Colbert. "That's our Antonin" indeed

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Man, Last Week Tonight skipped over most of the truly crazy demands the IOC was making of Norway.

God this show is hilariously depressing in a way TDS and Colbert just can't match.

shryke on
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    God this show is hilariously depressing in a way TDS and Colbert just can't match.

I was reading an interview John did somewhere where he was saying HBO is giving them a lot of leeway, that if they want to do any hour-long specials they can, that HBO is open to the possibility of the show being longer or more times a week. Ah, it's from Rolling Stone ("20 Things You Learn Hanging Out With John Oliver"). His answer to that was "This show is exhausting to produce in 30-minute form, and it's intense enough to watch that I'm worried that at 60 minutes, it could be exhausting to watch." He is totally right about that, I think.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    New York Magazine is reporting that NBC tried to get Jon to host Meet the Press. Credit to him for turning that down because he would have been very, very bad at it.

Though probably better than Chuck Todd.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    New York Magazine is reporting that NBC tried to get Jon to host Meet the Press. Credit to him for turning that down because he would have been very, very bad at it.

A bar so low Hermes Conrad can't get under it.

• Options

Too low for James Cameron to reach?

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I think one factor in his declining the offer is that he could no longer use the, "I'm just a comic!" defense to respond to criticism.

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »

I think one factor in his declining the offer is that he could no longer use the, "I'm just a comic!" defense to respond to criticism.
    It's not a defense, it's an expression of intent.

"To make fun of" is a markedly different purpose than "To inform", and criticizing Stewart/Colbert (not so much Oliver) for doing the former rather than the latter misses the point entirely - even if they do a better job of the latter than some organizations for whom the latter is their stated purpose. It should be an indictment of these other supposed "news" organizations, rather than a "criticism" of a comedy show.

No-one goes around criticizing Minecraft for not promoting itself as a logic circuit teaching tool to schools, even if many people find it more fun to create logic circuits in Minecraft than in dedicated education packages.

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    and Jon is a pretty shitty interviewer a too-often chunk of the time

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I like Last Week Tonight and the issues they bring up are interesting.

But John Oliver sure does like to a take a joke and ram it into the ground. He tends to yell the punchline over and over and over again as though the louder and more repetitive it is, the funnier.

• Options
    Pretty sure he's not doing that so you'll get the joke.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    yeah he gets too excited about punchlines

his delivery is not great, though his material itself is good

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

http://youtu.be/67MRiMT9cnE

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I dunno I like his delivery personally

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    InstantPigInstantPig Damn Registered User regular
    I like John Oliver a lot too. Been a Bugle listener for a while so I came in a fan I guess. Somehow he gets me laughing through the tears.

PSN: Fading_Vision

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    I dunno I like his delivery personally

Considering that most of the time the punch line comes from either the absurdity of the situation being talked about or how mind-numbingly depressing the issue is I tend to read his delivery less like he's getting to the punch line and more like he's just genuinely flabbergasted at how bullshit the stuff he normally talks about is.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I do love the segments where you can tell that he and the writers spent a lot of time looking at each other and saying "... seriously, what the fuck?"

Often accompanied by statements noting that they didn't believe it themselves, that it's actually true/not exaggerated, etc.

John's big (often going viral) videos on subjects seem to attract these a lot.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

http://youtu.be/67MRiMT9cnE

Last year in Calc II, a girl's phone went off in the middle of class.

And this was the ringtone. Truly glorious.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular

minhaj is... indian right? so we're probably getting a senior hindu correspondent

• Options
    Jars wrote: »

minhaj is... indian right? so we're probably getting a senior hindu correspondent

I'm pretty sure they already had one of those. Hell, they even have a senior junior senior hindu from the northern 10% of India correspondent.

• Options
    I'm not sure it's entirely fair to judge democrats for speaking up against money in politics while also raising money to run. Like it or not, those are the rules of the game, and if they ever want to be in a position to pass some laws or do anything about it, they sort of need to win elections. Which now requires a lot of money.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I'm not sure it's entirely fair to judge democrats for speaking up against money in politics while also raising money to run. Like it or not, those are the rules of the game, and if they ever want to be in a position to pass some laws or do anything about it, they sort of need to win elections. Which now requires a lot of money.

Jon or a guest? Seems like the kind of stupid thing Jon would say that made me stop watching nearly as much.

EDIT: Looked up the guest. Also seems like the kind of stupid thing Matt Bai would say.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    It was Jon, Matt Bai was talking about the whole Gary Hart affair and tabloid political journalism.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    It's all well and good to have a moral stance on it.

That is until you look at local elections and you see Chevron dumping one million dollars in a town in California against one guy with a budget of $22,000.

Then you can either do unto others, or die.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Is The Colbert Report gonna end with the death of "Stephen Colbert"?

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Is The Colbert Report gonna end with the death of "Stephen Colbert"?

I believe the consensus was "Mauled by a Bear".

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, I just watched last night's Daily Show, Jon's being ignorant on finances again.

The Democratic Party spending more than the Republican Party isn't news. Obama outspent McCain by a lot. So if that's all you're comparing, sure, it makes the Dems argument seem meh.

The difference is PACS and Super PACS. Conservative PACS outspend liberal PACS five to one, if memory serves.

That's what Pelosi and Reid were talking about Jon. Quit getting your news exclusively from Fox.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    That's what Pelosi and Reid were talking about Jon. Quit getting your news exclusively from Fox.

Even when you know they're shit, too much exposure is still harmful to your health.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    This year the pumpkin spice thing is particularly egregious. In years past, a bunch of microbreweries would put out a pumpkin beer, there'd be the pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks, and a handful of other pumpkin things here and there. It was like "Haha, there sure is a lot of pumpkin stuff in the fall!" but it wasn't WTF levels of crazy. This year I've seen pumpkin spice Oreos, pumpkin spice marshmallows, pumpkin spice potato chips, pumpkin spice pasta, and it seems like every single microbrewery has a pumpkin beer (and in some cases, more than one). What the hell happened?

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    This year the pumpkin spice thing is particularly egregious. In years past, a bunch of microbreweries would put out a pumpkin beer, there'd be the pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks, and a handful of other pumpkin things here and there. It was like "Haha, there sure is a lot of pumpkin stuff in the fall!" but it wasn't WTF levels of crazy. This year I've seen pumpkin spice Oreos, pumpkin spice marshmallows, pumpkin spice potato chips, pumpkin spice pasta, and it seems like every single microbrewery has a pumpkin beer (and in some cases, more than one). What the hell happened?

oh yeah?
    enhanced-5425-1410215272-18.jpg

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Get bent, brit boy. Pumpkin pie is the best pie.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    Nah.

Sweet Potato. It has everything that Pumpkin pie does without being composed of Pier 1 vomit.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."