As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Daily Show, Nightly Show, Last Week Tonight, & Full Frontal] Noah makin' it rain!

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    How do they even remove lead paint?

I assume the people that do it have to go in wearing full-on hazmat suits or something.

Kinda makes me wonder what else is killing me that I don't know about.

Other than all the processed foods, I mean.

Life sure is a crap shoot.

From what I understand, you don't remove it (unless you absolutely have to, in which case you're looking at what they do with asbestos - full body gear, negative pressure workspace), you just use a special "sealer" paint that binds the lead paint.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    How do they even remove lead paint?

I assume the people that do it have to go in wearing full-on hazmat suits or something.

Kinda makes me wonder what else is killing me that I don't know about.

Other than all the processed foods, I mean.

Life sure is a crap shoot.

From what I understand, you don't remove it (unless you absolutely have to, in which case you're looking at what they do with asbestos - full body gear, negative pressure workspace), you just use a special "sealer" paint that binds the lead paint.

which reminds me, somewhat off topic but still neat, a portion of the government of Canada, just this month, has pledged to ban the use of asbestos in any construction or renovation of federal buildings. It's not clear if this will extend to the rest of the federal government.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hazardous housing materials tend to get handled by a lot of hosing material down to keep dust from rising. Removing it is mostly just expensive and time consuming - is not like this stuff is radioactive. The problems arise when you have unexpected damage or ignorance about the presence of the materials and how to handle it.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Sealing it with another paint kind of sounds like it's just kicking the can down the road.

I mean, I can see why people would do it. Easier and less expensive. But still.

Now I'm wondering what they do with all the debris when a house like that gets demolished.

RT800 on
  • Options
    Sealing it with another paint kind of sounds like it's just kicking the can down the road.

To the day they tear the whole building down?

• Options
    Demolished buildings are generally recycled as much as possible. A lot just ends up in landfills. Walls painted with lead do not have enough lead to count as anything special for disposal purposes.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    The problem with lead paint is direct exposure, especially through ingestion, and as such neither demolishing or disposal present that much of an issue. Lead paint does not dissolve in water.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I thought lead paint, while obviously dangerous, is otherwise fine so long as you don't have dumb people around licking your walls.

So just... don't have people who would lick the walls.

Which pretty much boils down to "don't have kids", but there you go.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Pretty much, although I believe the lead also lends a sort of sweet taste to it, which is why the 'toddlers eating paint chips' is a thing.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    This brand synergy between Sesame Street and Last Week Tonight is insane.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    IIRC.. Proper procedure for lead remediation is to remove all lead contaminated paint in the house from the floor up to 4 feet. This is to ensure young children who don't have the developmental capacity to know better don't chew on something and ingest it.

Above 4 feet it depends. Sometimes just a special sealant paint and instructions to never sand/renovate without further action, possibly with total replacement of wood trim items if they are not old/fancy. If you want it all gone then its usually easiest to gut the house and remove the afflicted plaster/drywall.

On exterior surfaces they usually use a chemical paint remover and lots of scraping, with a large area around the exterior walls covered with plastic to capture all the particulates for disposal. You cant remove every single drop of lead paint contamination on the exterior though, so you slather over whats left with a sealant coating then you're regular paint.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/HPZQWqPfVzc

Man Full Frontal you go for daggers.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    That Full Frontal segment with the Bernie Supporters seemed kinda mean, no?

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    That $20 sketch was kind of uncomfortable if those guys were not actually actors. Like, a step away from "It's just a prank, bro!" douchiness.

True story, I almost punched a street performer in the face because I thought he had actually torn up a $20 I had given him to do a magic trick with when he asked for someone to volunteer money.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    That Full Frontal segment with the Bernie Supporters seemed kinda mean, no?

Eh, I thought that it was a pretty mild poking. If Bee wanted to be mean, she would have had a bunch of young white men up there and she'd ask questions designed to get them to say something sexist. She had a bias, but not malice.

Her main anti-Bernie point boiled down to telling them that she didn't think that Bernie would be remotely capable of achieving what he says that he wants to accomplish. The humour of the piece was based around how they refused to seriously consider the possibility he wouldn't be elected, and that he wouldn't be able to do what he said he'd do once elected. I don't think that there was any particular meanness beyond that she dismisses Bernie's plans as unfeasible.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    People who could have crushed that narrative were probably weeded out in screening

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    People who could have crushed that narrative were probably weeded out in screening

I mean, yeah?

That's the joke construction they were working with.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Jesus. I haven't seen John Oliver fired up this much in a LONG time.

And.. yeah. Fuck hedge funds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt-mpuR_QHQ

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Oh Jesus, please tell me that yokel at the end knew what he was saying. This is one of those rare instances where I'm pulling for calculated, malicious racism over somebody just being that entirely fucking ignorant.

Personally though, I find the whole Tubman thing to be a big fat meh.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Is the segment with blazer rat on YouTube? I saw the bonus and was curious to see the actual bit.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    This thread has me wanting a grilled cheese sandwich.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    Is the segment with blazer rat on YouTube? I saw the bonus and was curious to see the actual bit.

I think except for the clip with the blazer rat picking her outfit and the clip of Bee cuddling the rat at her desk the the rat gets only a mention of having died in her Blazer in one of the actual show clips.

• Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noWfxmPdt8I

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I think Colbert getting drunk with his first guest would make for an entertaining recurring segment.

honovere on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    I think all talk shows getting drunk with their guests would make for an entertaining recurring segment.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Works for Graham Norton. The show where Matt Damon, Bill Murray and Hugh Bonneville showed up half-drunk and proceeded to get fully drunk was incredible.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    If there aren't already a bunch of rules and standards and practices regarding the act, no doubt a whole bunch would be created right quick after all the zealots complained.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Ugh, that Daily Show bit last night about the US Women's Soccer (real Football) Team had me absolutely fuming. How in the ever loving fuck can people justify paying them less than their male counterparts? Especially considering how the US Women's team is far superior to the US Men' team is pretty much every metric.

I always think to MRA types who love to talk about how men get paid more because the just do a better job than women and earn it. If that were true, the US Women's team would be making far more money than the US Men's team because, unlike the Men's team, the Women's team are winners and have actually won a World Cup.

Just complete bullshit.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Didn't someone else cover that a while back? I want to say LWT had a segment on it.

It's still complete BS and worth getting angry over, but I know I've heard all of those things before not that long ago.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Zomro wrote: »
    Ugh, that Daily Show bit last night about the US Women's Soccer (real Football) Team had me absolutely fuming. How in the ever loving fuck can people justify paying them less than their male counterparts? Especially considering how the US Women's team is far superior to the US Men' team is pretty much every metric.

I always think to MRA types who love to talk about how men get paid more because the just do a better job than women and earn it. If that were true, the US Women's team would be making far more money than the US Men's team because, unlike the Men's team, the Women's team are winners and have actually won a World Cup.

Just complete bullshit.
    Isn't it the reason that nobody in America watches Women's Soccer?

Coinage on
  • Options
    If that were the case, you'd have to wonder how it is they manage to bring in about 4x the revenue of the men's team.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

Just complete bullshit.

They recently set a record of highest ratings for a US Soccer game. Going to guess it was their World Cuo Finals game against Japan.

If you want to watch good US Soccer, then you watch the Women's team. They are amazing players.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

Just complete bullshit.

According to The Daily Show segment, they broke the record for the most watched Soccer game in American History

Also they brought in 17 million this year for the Federation and the Men's team lost 2 million in profit.

Also they've won 3 World Cups.

Also they have 4 Olympic Gold Medals.

(here is the video on Comedy Central's website)

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/wg1gm6/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-american-soccer-s-gender-wage-gap

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular

Just complete bullshit.

Nobody really watches US mens' soccer either, so....

• Options
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I love when shows gets asked the S&P line.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Remember: every single time a marketer tells you about how something has to happen because "the audience demands it" they are actually saying "I am lazy, and frightened that people will realize I don't work for money. Please, please don't make me actually attempt to figure out how to do my job. I really have not thought about it since I was in sophomore year."

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.