As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS Vita: Get ready, Gust and Nihon Falcom herald Vita 2015

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Anyone play Toukiden here? How is it?

Arcadey. Easy. Pretty straight forward.

Story wasn't particularly engaging.

It was fun. Played more like dynasty warrior mechanically then I expected.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I was hoping Toukiden would scratch that Monster Hunter itch and it sorta did, but I got bored with it pretty quick. Your mileage may vary though.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I see, I see. I just picked up Freedom Wars and have MH4U on pre-order, so I was curious as Toukiden has completely sailed by my radar earlier. Been on a big hunting game kick but if I do grab it, it will be pretty far down the road from now anyway.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    The expansion version, Toukiden Kiwami, will release at the end of March.

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    I like Freedom Wars and God Eater, but it's kind of tough for me to get too far in them. It's just hard for me to get the nuances of the gear/crafting system, so it usually have a tough time determining how "strong" I am and how to progress further.

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    I lean pretty heavily on guides for the crafting/gearing part of hunting games, just because it's not the bit that interests me as much as the actual hunting.

Renzo: Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully we get word of God Eater 2 Rage Burst coming stateside, would like to try that series out too.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Is the original Toukiden worth playing if you're going to grab Kiwami? I assume your save can carry over, so you'll get a head start, but is there any real incentive beyond that?

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Shenl742 wrote: »
    I like Freedom Wars and God Eater, but it's kind of tough for me to get too far in them. It's just hard for me to get the nuances of the gear/crafting system, so it usually have a tough time determining how "strong" I am and how to progress further.

Freedom wars is way too RNG with its gear.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    PewnyPewny Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Shenl742 wrote: »

Freedom wars is way too RNG with its gear.

Crafting systems give me a weird sort of anxiety to begin with. I don't want to waste anything, screw myself and make it harder than it needs to be, then start over. So, yea, it feels extra bad in Freedom Wars.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    This reminds me that I still need to beat Soul Sacrifice. I really like Gods Eater Burst and Soul Sacrifice but sometimes I really really really really really hate grinding for items to make stuff.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    BTW @Chance and @Pewny if you have questions or concerns about the Atelier games, search for my Gust thread. You'll have the full attention of the veterans there.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    My cousin is gonna let me borrow Persona 4 pretty soon. Is there gonna be a problem with switching vitas like that? Will it try to erase something? My cousin is trying to platinum the game so I don't want her to lose her progress.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Armoroc wrote: »
    My cousin is gonna let me borrow Persona 4 pretty soon. Is there gonna be a problem with switching vitas like that? Will it try to erase something? My cousin is trying to platinum the game so I don't want her to lose her progress.

For the Vita, game data is saved on the console, not the card.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Armoroc wrote: »

For the Vita, game data is saved on the console, not the card.

Most of the time. There are some games that keep everything on the card, but a lot of those are more towards launch games.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    After bitching so much about not liking overly anime games, and visual novels, I've booted up Zero Last Virtue before a long trip and I'm really enjoying it. Just escaped the first room so not far in yet.

I fear this may have opened up a whole new genre for me. My poor free time.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I finally filled up my 16g memory card with the sales over the past week, with Disgaea 4, Echochrome, Unfinished Swan, and Resogun (literally less than half a gig left), so I finally decided to drop a bunch of my amazon gift credit left over from Christmas on a 64GB card, especially thanks to the post someone made a few pages ago explaining how painless the transfer process is, sorry I forgot who you are.

I also figured I'm tempting fate the longer I go without a screen protector, but couldn't find any Hori ones on Amazon for the 1000 series, so I ended up ordering this one based on the reviews.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I like the title "Virtue's Last Reward" because it's like a joke.

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    So data saves on the vita now? Alright! That's way better than before. Thanks!

• Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    So are S-Link advancements meant to happen at specific times or when it says my relationship isn't ready to advance, does it mean that I gotta hang out a few times for it to advance?

S-Links work on a points system. Every time you hang out with someone you get some points, and during advancement events if you answer a question with an answer that person likes, those musical notes that fly out of them indicate you're getting bonus points. Additionally, if your current persona-stock includes a persona of the matching arcana (like if you're hanging out with Yosuke and one of your personas is a Magician arcana), your social points gained are boosted, in both normal hangouts and advancement events.

After the first few levels, even if you're answering every single question optimally, it's still going to take multiple hangouts to increase S-link ranks, so don't worry about looking up the "right" answers on a first playthrough. Just try to be a sycophant and tell people what you think they'd like to hear, lol.

Damn, I didn't know I would be able to boost the S-Link while having a persona that matches. This should help a lot with raising my S-Links. I think there are still a chunk of S-Links I haven't even found. Assuming they aren't just farther in the game.

Explore. Go everywhere and talk to everyone. Take part time jobs. Increase your stats whenever you don't have a SLink you want to push. In Persona 4 the world's your oyster.

I definitely need to explore more. I still need to hit up the clubs, I've done the sports ones. I also want to increase my courage a ton. I end up not being able to do a lot of stuff because of courage.

Edit: Luckily I beat the
    Rise dungeon on the first night so now I get to goof off.

Gee Reaper, you just got the game and you're already father than me. I'm actually at that dungeon right now but need to grind my way up a bit. From what I can read, its recommanded to be around level 30-32 fore that dungeon and I'm just 28. Did you end up having to grind a lot yourself? It seems I have to do so before every dungeons.

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I found that one day clear of a dungeon, then a second pass between cases on a rainy day for the new boss worked well. Also, it gives you some great weapons. Naoto's in particular is nuts.

The biggest help though is slaughtering hands. Marakunda/matarukaja and Chie/MC dropping phys skills. Eventually this is just Naoto and Megidola off mind charge. Also MC. Chie still helps but...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I usually tackled the extra boss for the previous dungeon on the following month, during the visit to the next dungeon. Just rolled it all into one night.

Random thought: I can't tell you how many times I've had a question about some part of the controls or UI for whatever Vita game I'm playing, hit the PS button, and reference the digital manual in a matter of seconds. I still miss physical manuals, but the convenience of the digital manuals on Vita is pretty awesome.

• Options
    Guibs wrote: »
    So are S-Link advancements meant to happen at specific times or when it says my relationship isn't ready to advance, does it mean that I gotta hang out a few times for it to advance?

S-Links work on a points system. Every time you hang out with someone you get some points, and during advancement events if you answer a question with an answer that person likes, those musical notes that fly out of them indicate you're getting bonus points. Additionally, if your current persona-stock includes a persona of the matching arcana (like if you're hanging out with Yosuke and one of your personas is a Magician arcana), your social points gained are boosted, in both normal hangouts and advancement events.

After the first few levels, even if you're answering every single question optimally, it's still going to take multiple hangouts to increase S-link ranks, so don't worry about looking up the "right" answers on a first playthrough. Just try to be a sycophant and tell people what you think they'd like to hear, lol.

Damn, I didn't know I would be able to boost the S-Link while having a persona that matches. This should help a lot with raising my S-Links. I think there are still a chunk of S-Links I haven't even found. Assuming they aren't just farther in the game.

Explore. Go everywhere and talk to everyone. Take part time jobs. Increase your stats whenever you don't have a SLink you want to push. In Persona 4 the world's your oyster.

I definitely need to explore more. I still need to hit up the clubs, I've done the sports ones. I also want to increase my courage a ton. I end up not being able to do a lot of stuff because of courage.

Gee Reaper, you just got the game and you're already father than me. I'm actually at that dungeon right now but need to grind my way up a bit. From what I can read, its recommanded to be around level 30-32 fore that dungeon and I'm just 28. Did you end up having to grind a lot yourself? It seems I have to do so before every dungeons.

I play very efficiently (too much) so I'm going at a pretty good pace. I haven't been underleveled at all so far. For the most part I've been too high level for the start of the dungeon and the bosses weren't too difficult. I don't really grind much, if anything I just go through the dungeons on rainy days and try to grab personas to form new personas and such so I can have all kinds of cool stuff. I also never avoid a fight with the shadows and work on getting the gold hand asshats when I can.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    Guibs wrote: »

I play very efficiently (too much) so I'm going at a pretty good pace. I haven't been underleveled at all so far. For the most part I've been too high level for the start of the dungeon and the bosses weren't too difficult. I don't really grind much, if anything I just go through the dungeons on rainy days and try to grab personas to form new personas and such so I can have all kinds of cool stuff. I also never avoid a fight with the shadows and work on getting the gold hand asshats when I can.

This is odd. I never skip a battle myself, even make sure I explore the entire floor before moving to the next one and even go into the TV more than one day to repeat the dungeon to grind or else I am too under leveled mist of the time. Are you playing on easy? If not, I must be missing something.

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I never had to grind in Persona 4 Golden

I never ran from enemies, and fully explored each floor, but grinding was never something I did, even on the hardest difficulty

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Don't worry, just kick back and enjoy the amazing game.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I ground all the time; I'd try to limit myself to 1-2 TV days per "chapter" of the game, but I'd spend days real-world just fighting shit to get coins and items, level up Personas to get skills I want before fusing, leveling up the MC so he could USE that next Persona, etc.

I missed the Golden bonus dungeon and a large number of the sidequests (never even figured out how to start the fishing thing) and still clocked in like 88h.

• Options
    Getting specific abilities from personas is something I haven't even come close to doing. I end up using personas for fusing so I can make all kinds of cool stuff. I'll probably regret not grabbing certain abilities.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Ali Dance is the one interesting skill that both can be fused onto anything, and cannot be skillcarded.

• Options
    So I got through the first episode of The Wolf Among Us on my Vita where I flew back home from PAX South.

It's a physical copy, and it's... not very well ported... at all. Which is a goddamn shame.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I just started Demon Gaze and I'm slightly confused. The main character has to be a human male but these character portraits have breasts. What is going on.

• Options
    Yeah, the physical copy for TWD Season One was a fucking mess as well. Telltale needs to get their shit together.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Quiotu wrote: »
    So I got through the first episode of The Wolf Among Us on my Vita where I flew back home from PAX South.

It's a physical copy, and it's... not very well ported... at all. Which is a goddamn shame.
    Note that physical and download games on the Vita run at identical speeds. There was a difference in the launch games, but Sony no longer uses the "slow Vita cards" for manufacturing Vita games (just like they no longer have save games on the Vita game card, just in the memory card. They outlawed it over a year ago).

So yeah, The Wolf Among Us is going to be laggy during the action sequences either way. :-P Keep at it, though! Despite the TellTale lag (which is in all of their Vita ports), I really enjoyed it, and I was able to platinum the game pretty easily.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Quiotu wrote: »

Note that physical and download games on the Vita run at identical speeds. There was a difference in the launch games, but Sony no longer uses the "slow Vita cards" for manufacturing Vita games (just like they no longer have save games on the Vita game card, just in the memory card. They outlawed it over a year ago).

So yeah, The Wolf Among Us is going to be laggy during the action sequences either way. :-P Keep at it, though! Despite the TellTale lag (which is in all of their Vita ports), I really enjoyed it, and I was able to platinum the game pretty easily.

I actually had to look and see, and indeed TellTale Games does all their ports as well. I guess they're not big or successful enough to let someone else port their games... yet. I mean there's companies like Sanzaru Games where that's their entire body of work for the most part.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I just started Demon Gaze and I'm slightly confused. The main character has to be a human male but these character portraits have breasts. What is going on.

In Demon Gaze, your Gazer MC is assumed to be the default portrait for them, but the game lets you pick whatever you want. The male pronoun is only used seldom, so as long as your ignore it or justify it as a quirk of a super tomboy character, and play as a badass female that gets all the girls. It's a quirk of the devs adding some very light dating sim elements and some fanservice into the genre, and having a more established character and story for a MC than just a blank generic adventurer.

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy (urban science fantasy, remake of two older games) and Stranger of Sword Village (fantasy), Experience Inc's next two dungeon crawlers, don't have the assumed male MC or fanservice quirks that Demon Gaze had.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    I wouldn't touch anything from Kadokawa Games with a ten foot pole.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Early alpha trailer for Dragon Fin Soup, in development for Vita/PS4/PS3/Steam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxFrOoet6qM

I saw this on Greenlight several months ago and it looks like it's going to be pretty fun.

• Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxFrOoet6qM

I saw this on Greenlight several months ago and it looks like it's going to be pretty fun.

That game trailer has disappointed me massively. I saw a massive turtle flying through space with a land mass on it's back and I was hoping for a Disc World based game. Why not Disc World?!

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

That game trailer has disappointed me massively. I saw a massive turtle flying through space with a land mass on it's back and I was hoping for a Disc World based game. Why not Disc World?!

Because Discworld stole it. The Cosmic Turtle is an old Hindu legend, if I am remembering it right.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    So many conflicting art styles in that trailer...

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Jesus, loose the voiceover.

This discussion has been closed.