As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS Vita: Get ready, Gust and Nihon Falcom herald Vita 2015

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I don't even know what to think of that. "Yay for fans" is what I'll default to.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Hatsune Miku has been "touring" with Lady Gaga, it's not a huge stretch

Yet another reason why Lady Gaga is awesome.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    Is it weird that all I can think of when I read that tweet is "Why is Miku wearing recolored Rin shorts?"

Er. Anyways. I expect this will be an excuse for Letterman and friends to go "oooh, those wacky Japanese!" Which will be annoying, but eh.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

Has she?

Or has Lady Gaga been touring with Hatsune Miku?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Has she?

Oh, please. Be realistic here.
    They're both touring with ME. See you at the Grammy's, homies.
    :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

Has she?

Miku's been the opening act.

• Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    hhuumm, need to go in to work 4 hours early tomorrow. I think a 12 hour day calls for a new game!

Sword Art Online, I choose you!!

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Like a dumb ass, I left my Vita 700 miles away for two weeks. Fortunately I have a 2ds with me, but it's such a downgrade that it's physically painful to think about how far away my Vita is. I think I may have to two day ship myself a pink vita.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I dunno what I would do if I left mine somewhere that far away. Probably cry.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    My heart sank when I opened my Vita travel case and saw that it was empty.

I guess I can play through smtiv again or give fire emblem a try.

• Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    So, I have a new 16Gb card to replace my tiny 4gig card. I was going to transfer stuff off to the old desktop to save the stuff I have on there currently. Go to install the Content Manager thing on my computer, and it doesn't install. Says it's missing the C++ redist packages. Okay, I'll go download those separately. Still no luck. Go hunting on the internet, apparently this is a problem many people are having, making the content manager completely uninstall-able.

Great.

PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    kuhlmeye wrote: »
    So, I have a new 16Gb card to replace my tiny 4gig card. I was going to transfer stuff off to the old desktop to save the stuff I have on there currently. Go to install the Content Manager thing on my computer, and it doesn't install. Says it's missing the C++ redist packages. Okay, I'll go download those separately. Still no luck. Go hunting on the internet, apparently this is a problem many people are having, making the content manager completely uninstall-able.

Great.

Try qcma instead. It's an open-source implementation of Content Manager... mostly intended for Linux users, but the fork I linked also has a version compiled for Windows that you could use.

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular

Great.

Try qcma instead. It's an open-source implementation of Content Manager... mostly intended for Linux users, but the fork I linked also has a version compiled for Windows that you could use.

Oh yeah, I was going to put that in the OP, thanks for the reminder. I added a couple games too, if there's anything missing, let me know. Maybe by will alone, Phantasy Star Nova and Stranger of Sword City will get announced for localization.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    bss wrote: »

Great.

Oh yeah, I was going to put that in the OP, thanks for the reminder. I added a couple games too, if there's anything missing, let me know. Maybe by will alone, Phantasy Star Nova and Stranger of Sword City will get announced for localization.

I had hoped SEGA buying Atlus would lead to more localizations, since Atlus USA is basically SMT+imports, but...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

Great.

Worth noting for the moment that QCMA's precompiled windows build is not compatible with the new/current Vita firmware. The project developer has developed a fix but hasn't yet released a precompiled version, so you need quite a lot of savvy (as in, you need a Linux development environment and familiarity with those tools) in order to get it working from the raw source. Shouldn't be a problem in a few days, though.

Dehumanized on
  • Options

Great.

Worth noting for the moment that QCMA's precompiled windows build is not compatible with the new/current Vita firmware. The project developer has developed a fix but hasn't yet released a precompiled version, so you need quite a lot of savvy (as in, you need a Linux development environment and familiarity with those tools) in order to get it working from the raw source. Shouldn't be a problem in a few days, though.

Yeah, I noticed that. I build QCMA from source in Gentoo, the most recent version has a field where you can set the protocol it purports to be (and it supports the latest firmware out of the box).

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Great.

I had hoped SEGA buying Atlus would lead to more localizations, since Atlus USA is basically SMT+imports, but...

My bigger concern(as dictated by my outer cynic) is Sega instead turning Atlus into a Persona factory to just generate stockholder money and not really even bothering with third-party localizations anymore. Though even if that's the case, they've been winding down on localizations for years now, releasing one - maybe two - localized games per year for the past few years, as opposed to four or more in 2010 and earlier. I'm not entirely sure we'd end up missing a whole lot now.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    KT buying GUST despite some initial missteps, is looking positive.

SEGA buying Atlas I can only expect the worst

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

Great.

My bigger concern(as dictated by my outer cynic) is Sega instead turning Atlus into a Persona factory to just generate stockholder money and not really even bothering with third-party localizations anymore. Though even if that's the case, they've been winding down on localizations for years now, releasing one - maybe two - localized games per year for the past few years, as opposed to four or more in 2010 and earlier. I'm not entirely sure we'd end up missing a whole lot now.

This is SeGa we're talking about.

The company that decided the west doesn't deserve Yakuza, Valkyria Chronicles, nor Phantasy Star.

• Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular

Great.

This was actually one of my steps last night. Tried installing QCMA but everytime I tried to connect it the Vita said "Update Content Manager on your computer". Guess I'll wait a couple days then.

PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    Getting started in SAO is a bit rough. Not sure what to do first.

Seems like I'm getting killed wherever I go :bigfrown:

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    My heart sank when I opened my Vita travel case and saw that it was empty.

I guess I can play through smtiv again or give fire emblem a try.

Man did you luck out!

Fire Emblem will make you forget all about your Vita woes.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »

And weirdly enough they're both doing the opposite of what I expected.

Sega is leaving Atlus mostly alone, and there's even been talks of Atlus maybe being allowed to experiment with Sega IPs they don't give a shit about anymore.

KT has turned GUST into an Atelier factory, and gave them just enough money to give Ar Nosurge technically a localization but not much more.

Now granted I realize GUST's problems with the Exa Pico series is Tsuchiya taking the series in a direction that makes it cater even MORE to Japan and no one else, but I can still give KT a little shit for not even giving it a shot. Also whoever GUST has making combat for the Atelier series needs to give the Exa Pico guys some pointers, STAT.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular

The company that decided the west doesn't deserve Yakuza, Valkyria Chronicles, nor Phantasy Star.

To be fair, the West kind of decided that the West doesn't deserve Yakuza & Valkyria Chronicles by not buying very many copies of the installments that did come out over here. No clue what the deal is on Phantasy Star though.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    Takel wrote: »

And weirdly enough they're both doing the opposite of what I expected.

Sega is leaving Atlus mostly alone, and there's even been talks of Atlus maybe being allowed to experiment with Sega IPs they don't give a shit about anymore.

KT has turned GUST into an Atelier factory, and gave them just enough money to give Ar Nosurge technically a localization but not much more.

Now granted I realize GUST's problems with the Exa Pico series is Tsuchiya taking the series in a direction that makes it cater even MORE to Japan and no one else, but I can still give KT a little shit for not even giving it a shot. Also whoever GUST has making combat for the Atelier series needs to give the Exa Pico guys some pointers, STAT.

I mean we'll ignore that all GUST ever made was Atelier games to begin with.

I mean in 17 years they've made like, 10 non-Atelier games vs 23 Atelier ones? Most of which sucked by the by. Yep, reaching for the stars there. Totally KTs fault.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

To be fair, the West kind of decided that the West doesn't deserve Yakuza & Valkyria Chronicles by not buying very many copies of the installments that did come out over here. No clue what the deal is on Phantasy Star though.

"Did not match JP numbers" is my guess. Which was sort of a given.

I'd forgive them a little if I could play PSP2 on my Vita.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I mean we'll ignore that all GUST ever made was Atelier games to begin with.

I mean in 17 years they've made like, 10 non-Atelier games vs 23 Atelier ones? Most of which sucked by the by. Yep, reaching for the stars there. Totally KTs fault.

Then let's just call KT a tangential step and be done with it. KT is no better than NISA apparently, they don't seem to be giving them more budget and definitely don't seem to localize better. Call out the issues, but if a publisher change doesn't solve issues that publishers tend to create (localization, budget, marketing), then it's not GUST you should point the finger at. I pointed out GUST has their own problems, I'm just also pointing out where KT isn't exactly helping.

No offense, but there's stats out there showing the first Valkyria Chronicles slowly sold around twice in the US what it did in Japan. That's not lacking interest in the least. The US audience tanked when Sega decided it needed to sell in Japan above all else, so it added all the JRPG bullshit VC1 lacked in VC2, then published it on the PSP to guarantee it looked and played worse than the original while limiting the US market to a fraction of what it was on PS3.

No, Sega killed Valkyria Chronicles by making it too Japanese. Yakuza's US market was always the 'too Japanese' demographic, but much like VC, it's not enough to get Sega to care.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Hey, it helps if I go out the big sunlit arch into the field instead of teleporting directly into the dungeon...

• Options
    edited October 2014

The West bought a decent lot of Valkyria Chronicles 1 actually, just over a long period of time. Sega's decision to go to PSP for a wider Japanese audience backfired on them. Not only did their Japanese sales not dramatically improve, but they totally lost all their sales in the west they had for VC1, where the sales started moderate but had exceptionally long legs due to word of mouth. They chose poorly and rolled a critical failure. VC2 on PS3 had the potential to be a Demon's Souls --> Dark Souls cult to mainstream success story but Sega couldn't see anything outside of their island.

The Yakuza thing is because Dead Souls, a fucking spinoff game only for the direhard fans, scared them off.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    I just want some Phantasy Star like damn. :(

In happier news, my Danganronpa soundtracks arrived! Japan Post is the best post. Puhuhu!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    KT I LOVE YOU, GUST I LOVE YOU

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/10/10/atelier-ayesha-plus-arrives-europe-january-2015/
    Koei Tecmo Games announced on Twitter that they will release Atelier Ayesha Plus in Europe in January 2015. The game will be a digital download and it includes dual audio.

Atelier Ayesha Plus is a port of the PlayStation 3 game with extra content. The Vita version has bosses from Atelier Escha & Logy, hard mode, a feature to change characters anywhere, new Album Missions, and, of course, more costumes.

(Yes US is getting it too.)

Donnicton on
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    Vita minecraft is officially out in the US next week http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/10/10/minecraft-ps-vita-edition-coming-to-ps-store-next-week/

No bundle oddly enough. It seemed like such an obvious bundle to make too....

sig.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, I thought the $150 PS TV bundle was a lock if it was "Minecraft machine for the kids". Wonder if the Lego Movie bundle was plan B.

• Options

I-it's not like I was looking forward to this or anything!

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Such a pretty website

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Finally just platinum'd Danganronpa 2. I checked my playtime for the first time. 72 hours?!?! Holy shit. And that's accurate - I'm very anal about not leaving my Vita running or even in sleep mode in games like this.

• Options
    What Vita game should I play next? I still have Akiba's Strippers, Hyperdimension Re;Birth, and Natural Doctrine completely untouched.

I still have a couple of episodes to complete in Disgaea 4 and I'm a ways before platinum but I already beat 5-Baal so I feel like I kinda mastered it already. Didn't beat LoC Baal though so I guess there is still that.

I actually have a huge backlog. Need to finish FFX-2 (read: Restart FFX-2 since I lost my Vita and didn't back up my saves), Mind Zero, Donut Glaze, Sorcery Saga, Conception II, Deception IV, Atelier Rorona Plus (need to restart this too - lost save along with FFX-2). Hmm.

Thoughts?

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    What Vita game should I play next? I still have Akiba's Strippers, Hyperdimension Re;Birth, and Natural Doctrine completely untouched.

I still have a couple of episodes to complete in Disgaea 4 and I'm a ways before platinum but I already beat 5-Baal so I feel like I kinda mastered it already. Didn't beat LoC Baal though so I guess there is still that.

I actually have a huge backlog. Need to finish FFX-2 (read: Restart FFX-2 since I lost my Vita and didn't back up my saves), Mind Zero, Donut Glaze, Sorcery Saga, Conception II, Deception IV, Atelier Rorona Plus (need to restart this too - lost save along with FFX-2). Hmm.

Thoughts?

I'd go with Akiba's Trip. Probably this year's biggest surprise game.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited October 2014

I-it's not like I was looking forward to this or anything!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~

For those that don't know, this is a non-cannon alternate-universe (Gamarket instead of Gameindustri) SRPG developed by ST!NG. You might know them from games like Rivera: The Promissed Land, Yggdra Union: We'll Never Fight Alone, Baroque, Dokapon Kingdom, Knights in the Nightmare, Hexys Force, Gungir, and the like. You know, the company that makes awesome games with crazy out-there (but fun) mechanics and never does the same thing twice.

Its characters are also based on video game franchises instead of companies.

You know. Metal Gear Solid-chan, Final Fantasy-chan, Draqon quest-chan, Monster Hunter-chan, Voicalid-chan, Resident Evil-chan, Dynasty Warriors-chan, Otome Game-chan, Ms Pacman-chan, Yakuza-chan.... you get the idea.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    Chance wrote: »

Thoughts?

I'd go with Akiba's Trip. Probably this year's biggest surprise game.

Seconding this, it's a lot of fun and has a pretty enjoyable platinum path if you want to go down that road again. Not that your other games aren't fun (honorable mentions especially to Re;Birth1, X-2, Sorcery Saga, and Rorona+), but Akiba's Trip is really fun. I'm almost done platting it, and I'm pretty close on Danganronpa 2 as well --- just need to finish up Island Mode and buying gallery stuff.

This discussion has been closed.