As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS Vita: Get ready, Gust and Nihon Falcom herald Vita 2015

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    I could definitely get into BG1 and 2 again, even if that kind of D&D is old and broken to me nowadays. I never played the EEs, this would be a good excuse.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Time to find the thread's favorite Vita games of 2014! Vote now!
    Google Drive spreadsheet

Let's have a little fun, thread. It's nearing the end of the year and that means it's the season for lists! Yes, lists! Lists where people assess what really matters to them in the world, like their favorite Vita games of 2014. Let's wrap up this grand year in Vita games by voting for whatever games we had the most fun with on our Vitas and Vita TVs over the year. Closer to the end of the year, I'll put all the votes together, run the numbers, and produce the list of the thread's favorite games. Maybe we'll even have folks write a paragraph on each one or something, I don't know.

This is mostly just for fun, but I do legitimately love these kinds of things. This isn't the list of the "objective" "best" games, just the mish-mash of the thread's consciousness put into one list. So, there's only a couple guidelines:

1. "2014"
    Since I'm starting this now, let's limit the candidates to NA/EU region releases between 2013/12/01 -- 2014/11/30 2013/11/22 -- 2014/11/30. Just to be clear about what we mean. Remastered games, ports, Cross-Play indies, and so on all count, as long as the Vita game hit retail or digital stores within the last 12 months.

2. Game series
    A few game series, probably most notably Danganronpa 1 + 2 and Project Diva f/F 2nd, had multiple releases this year. Feel free to vote for either the individual games separately, or both as one entry for the series, but note that I'm going to prefer yielding variety in the final results, so if DR1 shows up at #3 and DR2 at #5, I'll probably just put both of them at #3 and give the other spot to another game. So I recommend just putting all the series' releases for the year in one entry, but if you want to distinguish, that's fine, it won't be much more work for me either way.

Otherwise, use whatever criteria you want. Games you thought were the best, games you just enjoyed the most, games with the best waifus, whatever.

Vita!

bss on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Man, I don't have any clue what released in 2014. I tend to buy handheld games in batches rather than at release, so I have no clue as to the year any games came out. I don't suppose you can provide a list of options?

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Persona 4 Golden.

/poll

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I voted. After looking over lists of 2014 Vita games (and recalling a few which released in December of last year) I was sort of sad I didn't try a few things out, like Toukiden or Steamworld Dig.

But Binding of Isaac has dominated my gaming lately, and then Risk of Rain is coming to Vita at some point...

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Guys, guys, GUYS!
    Beamdog wrote:
    We've got a vita dev unit now. Once we complete our current planned work we'll start poking it. We have an few internal Vita fanboys, so they keep hassling us for it.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2msl96/we_are_beamdog_developers_of_baldurs_gate_i_ii/cm7ik7b

Baldur's Gate on Vita would be godly.

One one hand, cool beans.

On the other hand, I have violent seizures when I think about an unmodded Baldur's Gate I/II.

Not sure which mods you're referring to, but BG:EE 1/2 has quite a lot of the popular mod stuffs in it. Depending in what you're looking for, it may be a perfect fit, you may want to investigate.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I wonder how BG would look and control on Vita. How big/small would the characters and POV be? I guess it would be adjustable? And I would hope they'd try to get it all working with buttons and sticks instead of relying on the touchscreen.

Lots of room to make something great, though. I'd love to play Baldur's Gate for 200 hours on Vita, as long as it looks and plays nice.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Persona 4 Golden.

/poll

Even the EU version came out before 2014 you plebe!

• Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Man, I don't have any clue what released in 2014. I tend to buy handheld games in batches rather than at release, so I have no clue as to the year any games came out. I don't suppose you can provide a list of options?

A great resource for me and trying to keep the lists in the OP up to date has been: http://thevitalounge.net/forum/threads/a-complete-list-of-playstation-vita-games.4/

I would use that for all of your data needs.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    I wonder how BG would look and control on Vita. How big/small would the characters and POV be? I guess it would be adjustable? And I would hope they'd try to get it all working with buttons and sticks instead of relying on the touchscreen.

Lots of room to make something great, though. I'd love to play Baldur's Gate for 200 hours on Vita, as long as it looks and plays nice.

BG supposedly works well on the iphone 6, so I don't think scaling should be an issue.

• Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    Dunno why mobile won't let me edit the spreadsheet, especially since I'm on Android. I'll have to fill that out later

• Options
    Dunno why mobile won't let me edit the spreadsheet, especially since I'm on Android. I'll have to fill that out later

It works for me in the Sheets app, but I own it so obviously that's not the best test. Let me know if it continues being squirrely.

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    I feel bad for Tales of Hearts. I haven't started it yet, so I can't put it on the list. (er. that is, if it turns out to be good.)

sig.gif
  • Options
    Lovely wrote: »
    I feel bad for Tales of Hearts. I haven't started it yet, so I can't put it on the list. (er. that is, if it turns out to be good.)

I'm really liking it and it might make an appearance on my list despite my chances of beating it soon being slim. But it looks good and plays pretty nicely, and the cutscenes and little side conversations continue to be amusing.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Persona 4 Golden.

/poll

Even the EU version came out before 2014 you plebe!

Doesn't matter, Vita game of the forever.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    bss wrote: »

I'm really liking it and it might make an appearance on my list despite my chances of beating it soon being slim. But it looks good and plays pretty nicely, and the cutscenes and little side conversations continue to be amusing.

Wait, it's a Tales game and it has a competent UI? What is this insanity?

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid, Crazy Taxy, and Full Auto 2 are all Vita/PSTV comparable. They might have to be downloaded from either the Download List, or from a PS3, but they're compatible and playable on the devices. I just played some Metal Gear Solid on my Vita a couple months ago. Motorstorm: Artic Blast and Twisted Metal are a couple of the few PSP game's that aren't though.

Metal Gear solid wasn't listed on the Playstation Store for purchase when I checked.

Crazy Taxi and Full Auto 2 weren't available for download from my Download List. The same goes for Motorstorm and Twisted Metal.

Reading comprehension, please.

Are you referring to needing a PS3 to download these games? Because if I have to go out and spend $200 to download PSP and PSX games to my PSTV that's kind of defeating the purpose.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Isn't all the compatibility documented somewhere? None of this should come as a surprise.

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Okay now, okay now, It's not like every one is up to date on Vita/Vita TV stuff as those of us who frequent this thread. The PSTV is advertised as being able to play PS1/PSP/Vita games, so I don't blame someone for expecting it to be able to play all those things.

Hell, I was surprised when I first saw the compatibility list! And yeah, it's a bummer that for some games, you need to use the ps3 or your computer to be able to purchase them instead of the Vita(tv) itself.

The PSTV didn't work out for maximumzero, and that's okay.

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    The PSTV didn't work out for maximumzero, and that's okay.

And it really sucks because it's a phenomenal piece of hardware. It it had 100% compatibility with PSX and PSP software on top of the Vita games that don't require a touchscreen it would be up there for best library for a console ever.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    Guys, guys, GUYS!
    Beamdog wrote:
    We've got a vita dev unit now. Once we complete our current planned work we'll start poking it. We have an few internal Vita fanboys, so they keep hassling us for it.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2msl96/we_are_beamdog_developers_of_baldurs_gate_i_ii/cm7ik7b

Baldur's Gate on Vita would be godly.

One one hand, cool beans.

On the other hand, I have violent seizures when I think about an unmodded Baldur's Gate I/II.

Not sure which mods you're referring to, but BG:EE 1/2 has quite a lot of the popular mod stuffs in it. Depending in what you're looking for, it may be a perfect fit, you may want to investigate.

No. No it doesn't. Not even close.

It has, however, been made compatible with 90% of the mods that work with Vanilla. (On PC, of course.)

I can't even imagine BG2 without Ascension, Rogue Rebalancing, and Sword Coast Stratagems at the very bare minimum.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Being some odd 16 hours into hearts, while having just finished xillia, graces and halfway into xillia 2, I'd say hearts is my current favorite.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Fingers crossed that there's going to be a flash sale before Thanksgiving. Would be nice to have some new games to play with while I ostensibly bond with my family over turkey.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Man, it is reeeeeeeeeeeeally tempting to bend my own rule just to get Tearaway (NA/EU 2013/11/22) and Ys: Memories of Celceta* (NA 2013/11/26) in on the voting fun, despite it just making my list even harder to narrow down. So I'm going to do it! Ahahaha! I'm drunk with fake power!

* on account of technicality, Ys is already eligible --- Europe didn't get it until February.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    what the fuck tearaway is ONE YEAR OLD
    get out of here

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    what the fuck tearaway is ONE YEAR OLD
    get out of here

When I realized it I had an "oh shit oh shit where did this year go" moment.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    I think Don't Starve is my Vita GOTY. The game's amount of content is ridiculous, and once you get past the initial accessibility hurdle, it's all-consuming. And then some mix of Rogue Legacy, Akiba's Trip, Olli Olli and Dustforce... might be some others.

I'm actually really enjoying Adventure Time: Secret of the Nameless Kingdom right now.

Ask yourself this:

Would you like to play The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past on Vita? If you answered yes, you might wanna' check it out.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Fill our the spreadsheet, if you would, as I have no actual functional memory.

So the Adventure Time game is good? I'd heard very mixed things about other games so didn't look into it. Would it make any sense to someone who watches zero Adventure Time?

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Fill our the spreadsheet, if you would, as I have no actual functional memory.

So the Adventure Time game is good? I'd heard very mixed things about other games so didn't look into it. Would it make any sense to someone who watches zero Adventure Time?

Adventure Time makes zero sense to someone who watches Adventure Time.

• Options
    I guess what I mean is would the game make any sense, or would it just be a bunch of in-jokes and gameplay hints that I didn't understand? I'm all for an LTTP clone as long as I can be in on the fun.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I liked Hey Ice King, and I stayed well away from Explore the Dungeon Because I Don't Know, but supposedly the new one is okay? My kids are Adventure Time fanatics, so I may have to pick it up if it's PSTV compatible.

• Options
    Also, hell, if Tearaway is fair game it's going on my list. Sorry, Dustforce.

• Options
    Probably Freedom Wars for me. I haven't touched it in a week or so after I put 20-something hours into it in a few days, but I don't know what else would trump it. Senran Kagura? Maybe. Akiba's Trip? Too shallow. Binding of Isaac? I bought it last night and I've only put like an hour into it.

• Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    Finally got Freedom Wars and my god... before fast travel I was pretty close to just dropping it. I appreciate the development of the world and characters but did I need to run through 5 zones, each with a loading screen, just to fetch something for a bunch of quests? I'm playing Coop through it all so I stuck with it but that was brutal. Beyond that, the combat is pretty cool. I feel like the light weapons don't do enough damage to make severing parts worth the effort. Can you still hack off chunks with a polearm?

• Options
    Finally got Freedom Wars and my god... before fast travel I was pretty close to just dropping it. I appreciate the development of the world and characters but did I need to run through 5 zones, each with a loading screen, just to fetch something for a bunch of quests? I'm playing Coop through it all so I stuck with it but that was brutal. Beyond that, the combat is pretty cool. I feel like the light weapons don't do enough damage to make severing parts worth the effort. Can you still hack off chunks with a polearm?

If you do enough damage to a single part, it'll still come off. It's helpful in some battles to be able to sever very specifically, though. And severing also gives you the opportunity to target specific parts of an Abductor so you can farm them for weapon upgrades/parts and such. You get more parts from severing than you do just from hacking away.

There's an item in Zakka called the Flare Knife, which you can equip as one of your items and it allows you to sever no matter what weapon you have out. Very helpful! It only costs 1000 EP and you can use it forever. Totally worth it.

• Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular

If you do enough damage to a single part, it'll still come off. It's helpful in some battles to be able to sever very specifically, though. And severing also gives you the opportunity to target specific parts of an Abductor so you can farm them for weapon upgrades/parts and such. You get more parts from severing than you do just from hacking away.

There's an item in Zakka called the Flare Knife, which you can equip as one of your items and it allows you to sever no matter what weapon you have out. Very helpful! It only costs 1000 EP and you can use it forever. Totally worth it.

Thanks for the tip! My co-op partner and I both thank you!

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular

Thanks for the tip! My co-op partner and I both thank you!

Keep in mind that the Flare Knife is significantly slower than using a proper Light Melee weapon to do the severing. It's still better than not being able to sever while carrying two of your favourite weapons in any case, but don't expect to be totally awesome in cutting off boxes with your cinderblock on a stick and a flare knife compared to someone who's got a proper chainsaw sword. After all, that's their job; cut off the parts while you crunch the limbs off.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular

I'd say it's not bad. It's good to the point that, after trying with Binding of Isaac and Velocity 2X, it's the game that finally got me to stop playing Don't Starve for a few days.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    The lack of Murasaki Baby on any lists makes me sad.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    The lack of Murasaki Baby on any lists makes me sad.

It would have been really cool were it not for the touch controls. If the category was best ending themes, though, it'd win hands down.

This discussion has been closed.