As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Flash] Fastest Thread Alive

• Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    Flash just said that in the... heh... heat of the moment.
    You don't have to being willing to follow through on every threat you make.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah I figure that was more "Shit well shit." I mean at least he didn't threaten to kill him because god knows that's what Oliver would have done.

Did I say threaten I mean kill, Oliver would have killed him.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Nope. Nope nope nope nope.
    Illegally imprisoning metas is a questionable but absolutely understandable choice.

Imprisoning perfectly normal people is out. That is wrong, full stop. If Flash cares so much he should follow the jail van next time. Not declare himself judge and jury for the entirety of Central City.

Well,
    cold clearly isn't normal. He doesn't give a damn about money, and his own safety is just a means to an end. He has fun being the bad guy and he wants to be the bad guy. He's also the guy with a plan. Not quite batman levels, but he has knack for the xanatos gambit. And we all know prisons don't hold xanatos.
    at most, they're useful
    "Oh no, you see, he's evil so it's okay."

Yeah no problems there!

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Does anyone else think they've got a brainstorming board of puns for Captain Cold, alongside a list of Mr Freeze puns from Batman & Robin?
    If anything appears on both lists, it's out.

I kinda hope Captain Cold eventually, like some takes of his comic version, starts to hate cold puns.

"Your an absolute zero Cold!."

"Man, I stopped doing that stupid shit years ago."

The day Captain Cold takes his job seriously is the day he stops working as a supervillain.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Illegally imprisoning metas is a questionable but absolutely understandable choice.

Imprisoning perfectly normal people is out. That is wrong, full stop. If Flash cares so much he should follow the jail van next time. Not declare himself judge and jury for the entirety of Central City.

Well,
    cold clearly isn't normal. He doesn't give a damn about money, and his own safety is just a means to an end. He has fun being the bad guy and he wants to be the bad guy. He's also the guy with a plan. Not quite batman levels, but he has knack for the xanatos gambit. And we all know prisons don't hold xanatos.
    at most, they're useful

Yeah no problems there!

It's not that it's no problem, it's just that this city can't even manage to deal with a "regular" crime boss.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Well,
    at most, they're useful

Yeah no problems there!

It's not that it's no problem, it's just that this city can't even manage to deal with a "regular" crime boss.

Most cities can't deal with regular crime bosses.

Secret vigilante prisons ain't the answer.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

Well,
    at most, they're useful

Yeah no problems there!

Of course they are.

How else would you have an awesome super powered prison break episode?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    I made this because I'm an idiot and simple things amuse me:
    index_zps4lv91g3n.jpg

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

Then why's Piped Piper imprisoned? He has no super powers.

The-Flash-Pied-Piper-300x200.jpg

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Cold has a super power. He's super good at crime, and also crazy, so he just likes doing crime not hurting people. But put in normal prison, everyone is aware he can just break out. So if he murders people, he goes to the prison he can't break out of. They imprison meta humans there because there's no other way to imprison them yet for their crimes. Cold can't be normally contained in a regular prison, so he gets the special restraints.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Cold has a super power. He's super good at crime, and also crazy, so he just likes doing crime not hurting people. But put in normal prison, everyone is aware he can just break out. So if he murders people, he goes to the prison he can't break out of. They imprison meta humans there because there's no other way to imprison them yet for their crimes. Cold can't be normally contained in a regular prison, so he gets the special restraints.

I wouldn't want him in the meta prison either.

He's an expert at... prison break 8)

• Options
    edited March 2015

That's not a super power, that's being a clever criminal. Is Raoul Silva a super villain?

200_s.gif

How about the villains in the Dark Knight trilogy?

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

That's not a super power, that's being a clever criminal. Is Raoul Silva a super villain?

200_s.gif

That guy might as well have been a super villain.

But that movie was also incredibly stupid.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Eventually someone will do a YouTube montage of Cold to "Fun Lovin' Criminals."

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Barry offering to throw Cold in the secret prison is practically the heart of an angel, since Barry has almost no reason to even make Cold aware he's in a bit of trouble before being splatted through 15 trees and quite a few reason to get with the splatting.

In fact, Heatweave should kill Iris and then we get an awesome scene where Cold says he stuck to bargain, Barry gets a nice conundrum the next time he relies on the honor of murdering nutcases and no more Iris. Win-win-win!

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

Well,
    at most, they're useful

Yeah no problems there!

Yeah, that's why they call in the big guns.

The IRS.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Barry offering to throw Cold in the secret prison is practically the heart of an angel, since Barry has almost no reason to even make Cold aware he's in a bit of trouble before being splatted through 15 trees and quite a few reason to get with the splatting.

In fact, Heatweave should kill Iris and then we get an awesome scene where Cold says he stuck to bargain, Barry gets a nice conundrum the next time he relies on the honor of murdering nutcases and no more Iris. Win-win-win!

That's not how Cold operates. You follow his rules or he "let's you go" Heatwave is definitely replaceable to him .

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    this is the kind of thing that happens when superhero stories have the 'rubber meets the road' moment w/r/t correctional systems; it's why there always winds up being some kind of 'prison' that's basically a magic vault outside traditional society

I actually wonder if the superconductor being kind of flagrantly unethical is a plot point that's going to come up later

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options

200_s.gif

That guy might as well have been a super villain.

But that movie was also incredibly stupid.

He hasn't got any super-powers, though. Which is meant to be why Team Flash has the prison.

That's not how Cold operates. You follow his rules or he "let's you go" Heatwave is definitely replaceable to him .

His rules are pliable. He'll kidnap people and hold them for random if he thinks it'll benefit him, he's done that to Team Flash twice. And he's murdered people in cold blood to test Flash's speed. Maybe Flash's (temporary) rules will prevent him from being so in the future.

• Options

Except Barry isn't like that. He'd incapacitate him, not kill him. Reverse Flash, however.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I think that Cold was definitely intrigued by this "no killing" idea. It's unorthodox, to be sure, but there are definitely advantages, and it's a true test of skill to commit crimes without resorting to such crude measures. Plus, and this is the best part, the victims remain alive with the knowledge that Cold took their stuff. You could say that they've got a little Captain in 'em.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    I think that Cold was definitely intrigued by this "no killing" idea. It's unorthodox, to be sure, but there are definitely advantages, and it's a true test of skill to commit crimes without resorting to such crude measures. Plus, and this is the best part, the victims remain alive with the knowledge that Cold took their stuff. You could say that they've got a little Captain in 'em.

I love how Flash is using modern story telling to give legitimate reasons for how characters are like in the comics. So great.

• Options

I love how Flash is using modern story telling to give legitimate reasons for how characters are like in the comics. So great.

Yeah, and I foresee Flash and Cold's "gentlemen's agreement" as potentially the first of many over the lifetime of the show.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it works because he's giving Cold exactly what he wants (or, what he thinks he wants at least)

he gets to continue matching wits with barry et al, and the main actual threat to him (i.e. being thrown in the super-gulag) is removed

it also sets up a potential future conflict between the villains, because Cold doesn't actually want to reveal barry's identity

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    it works because he's giving Cold exactly what he wants (or, what he thinks he wants at least)

he gets to continue matching wits with barry et al, and the main actual threat to him (i.e. being thrown in the super-gulag) is removed

it also sets up a potential future conflict between the villains, because Cold doesn't actually want to reveal barry's identity

It also sets up a potential team ups for bigger threats.

• Options

I will love the DRAMA if Cold ends up having to kill another villain that was about to reveal the Flash's identity, and then has to make sure that Barry never finds out that it was him.

"Now this is a quandary." /deadpan

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

I will love the DRAMA if Cold ends up having to kill another villain that was about to reveal the Flash's identity, and then has to make sure that Barry never finds out that it was him.

"Now this is a quandary." /deadpan

dear god I want this to happen

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    i don't think you need to /deadpan with cold

it is assumed

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Did someone ask if the bad guys in the Batman movie were super villians?

Cause, yeah. And so is Captain Cold. The super villain prison is a problem, one that I feel will absolutely be addressed at some point cause it's a dangling participle here.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Mild Comics Tangent:

I know we've all seen "evil Superman" like, a billion times; has there ever been a "Flash goes Dark" story? How do you stop a guy that can kill the entire CCPD in the blink of an eye?

(And I mean more than just the episode where he fights Arrow.)

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    The teleporter who got locked up while not being that bad of a person in the first place is way less a super villain then cold. I am going to laugh when Cold is revealed to have meta powers that are a: not impressive b: an afterthought even to cold . or even better : he secretly has firestorm like flame powers but they bore him as too easy so he uses his cold gun instead.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Mild Comics Tangent:

I know we've all seen "evil Superman" like, a billion times; has there ever been a "Flash goes Dark" story? How do you stop a guy that can kill the entire CCPD in the blink of an eye?

About the closest you'll get is the JLU episode where he and Luthor switch brains

• Options
    Did someone ask if the bad guys in the Batman movie were super villians?

Cause, yeah. And so is Captain Cold. The super villain prison is a problem, one that I feel will absolutely be addressed at some point cause it's a dangling participle here.

It's not Cold being a super-villain (technically he is), it's that without his fancy gadgets he's a normal man with no super powers. Which the prison is meant to be for.
    useless4 wrote: »
    The teleporter who got locked up while not being that bad of a person in the first place is way less a super villain then cold. I am going to laugh when Cold is revealed to have meta powers that are a: not impressive b: an afterthought even to cold . or even better : he secretly has firestorm like flame powers but they bore him as too easy so he uses his cold gun instead.

She's a teleporter, in her first appearance she breaks into a prison and out in seconds with it. Cold is a normal human being, without technology he's simply a man. A dangerous man, but a man. Being a bad person isn't the sole condition for the locking criminals up in their prison, it's being a criminal with super-powers.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Joolander wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Mild Comics Tangent:

About the closest you'll get is the JLU episode where he and Luthor switch brains

Yeah, it's pretty much only with the Reverse Flash/Zoom/Inertia where you get the "Horrible unstoppable Speedster." type of stories.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    we never did determine if pied piper has actual superpowers.

that seems unclear to me.

• Options
    Greeper wrote: »
    we never did determine if pied piper has actual superpowers.

that seems unclear to me.

They did, he had none. It was technology.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    This episode was great. Except maybe the glitter gun.

The Bargain:
    The Rogues not killing is so critical and it was so satisfying to actually see the bargain made on screen between Flash and Cold. I geeked out so much.

The alternate Cisco/Wells conversation:
    Playing that same moment in time in such a different but similar way? Absolutely brilliant.

Theories on Wells and the future:
    The discussions on time travel... I think they are going full on Flashpoint. Like, we'll get multiple episodes, or even a season, in an alternate reality. The Flash replacing himself when he time travels sets this up perfectly because he can stop himself just by traveling back in time again.

And I think Wells is the Reverse Flash from AFTER the Paradox is resolved. I think he knows what's coming for Barry.

The one problem with doing Flashpoint this soon. They haven't introduced Batman. The ending just... isn't as powerful without Flash giving Bruce the letter from his father. So... I dunno how I feel about that.

And, finally. It was discussed earlier in the thread, but a certain photo leaked. I am going to place a link to it in spoilers.
    ABSOLUTELY DO NOT OPEN THIS SPOILER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE A REAL DOOZY OF A SPOILER.
    Seriously, I flarking mean it.
    Last chance.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    @MuddBudd I haven't read Flashpoint, but (Arrow season 2 spoilers)
    Ollie seems to be the Arrowverse's Batman, and happens to have two dead parents.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Ollie seems to be the Arrowverse's Batman, and happens to have two dead parents.

Not quite the same, to me anyway.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Not quite the same, to me anyway.

Not the same, but it still works, thematically.
    Barry giving Ollie a message from his mom would be particularly poignant, first because he already got a recorded message from his dad in a flashback, but also because Ollie still blames himself for his mom's death at Slade's hand. Having an Evilverse Ollie with a living mom, who Barry tells about the Goodverse Ollie, and gives him a message to pass to her otherwhere son, could dispense many feels.

This discussion has been closed.