As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Flash] Fastest Thread Alive

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Daimar wrote: »
    I was wondering, how come the room was keyed to Barry's handprint? Pretty weak security there.

Maybe it's any handprint.

The high tech version of setting your password to "password" or your ATM pin to 1234.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    The entire room makes no sense. Why build it at the lab and not his home or somewhere else?

No way it should have opened, as even if you are generous it was keyed off Speedforce and even that is stupid. So basically they should have had Barry use his new wall phasing ability to find it, but they forgot about that 4 seconds after he used it.

Xeddicus on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Could be that Wells wanted him to get in there...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    The entire room makes no sense. Why build it at the lab and not his home or somewhere else?

No way it should have opened, as even if you are generous it was keyed off Speedforce and even that is stupid. So basically they should have had Barry use his new wall phasing ability to find it, but they forgot about that 4 seconds after he used it.

I thought that Barry was going to phase at least twice in this episode. He didn't.

• RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

The vault also defies any laws of logic and physics, you see people getting locked up but what then? Are they just microwaved in to dust? Are they being shipped off to Meta-Human alcatraz? Are they being sent in to horror movies like the movie The Cabin? Are they being fed? Is the fault a giant revolving door of boxes?

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Ravelle wrote: »

The vault also defies any laws of logic and physics, you see people getting locked up but what then? Are they just microwaved in to dust? Are they being shipped off to Meta-Human alcatraz? Are they being sent in to horror movies like the movie The Cabin? Are they being fed? Is the fault a giant revolving door of boxes?

http://chroniclesofcisco.tumblr.com/

steam_sig.png

It's more of a Cube.

The Vault was impromptu, anyway. The future-room was planned stupid.

The Vault was impromptu, anyway. The future-room was planned stupid.

Considering what we've seen of Wells, and what little I know of the Reverse-Flash in the comics, having a super-secret spoiler room that has no security whatsoever to protect it's secrets if someone should find it is perfectly in-line with the extreme arrogance of Eobard Thawne.

steam_sig.png
    I think the security is that only speedforce people can open it, or people with timetravel residue on them, Wells should have changed the locks if he suspects even a little bit.

D083uBC.jpg
    He doesn't have to suspect- he straight out knows Barry has both those.

So clearly it's just a trap they walked into.

I mean't suspect that that they're on to him.

It's also quite a trend to have your super hero/villain costume on a mannequin on display in plain view, it remains a mystery how the Arrow team can change in to their outfits so quick. Barry and Wells have super speed but still, it seems quite the hassle.

D083uBC.jpg
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Oh snap justice league throwaway...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Houn wrote: »
    Instead of nuking her from orbit, I'd rather they just write her better.

Like, just fucking tell her already. Then she can be in on shit, and have to juggle actually knowing what's up with the Flash and other metas while still being the reporter that is supposed to be reporting on this shit. Caught between loyalty to friends and family and a desire to excel at her career. That's interesting. Do that, Flash Writers.

A lot of shows do this and it always drives me nuts, if everyone knows but her there's not really the need to hide her from her because people will use the people that do know to get to her. People not telling each other things is also how you create drama and villains, it's how Lex turned the way he is now in Smallville. Went from Clarks best friend to hating Clarks guts because Clark's continues bullshitting and hiding things from him.

That's what Lex tells himself to justify his actions turning on his friends. Truthfully he was always a time bomb waiting to go off who was barely in control of his self destructive, villainous impulses (that's why he needed emotional anchors like Clark to ground him and they were on the razor's edge with him despite this) who'd have turned on Clark eventually, except then he'd be more dangerous with that knowledge. He was no Tess Mercer.

Harry Dresden on
    Foefaller wrote: »

Pity that never gets on the actual show, making it useless.

edited April 2015

Can we stop talking about this until it gets resolved? I swear everything I see about the Flash also includes BUT WHATABOUT THEIR SCARY PRISON.

Look, they have people in there that can't be contained elsewhere. They have an evil guy running the show influencing them to keep it there. The people in there are murderous crazy people. Plus, they made a side blog for people super concerned about it, AND they mentioned it on Arrow to point out they are aware of it, but as far as the show goes it doesn't matter. Suspend your disbelief, remember they all have television and are getting fed. I am morally 100% okay with keeping the guy who they have proof murdered a whole lot of people by turning into a gas in an airtight room.

Besides, based on trailers
    A bunch of them aren't going to be in there long anyway.

If we got to ask the writers for one wish of something to fix, and someone said "super prison!" instead of "Iris, all of Iris" I would be very sad.

SniperGuy on
    edited April 2015
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Can we stop talking about this until it gets resolved? I swear everything I see about the Flash also includes BUT WHATABOUT THEIR SCARY PRISON.

We did, so far the issue remains unsolved.
    Look, they have people in there that can't be contained elsewhere. They have an evil guy running the show influencing them to keep it there. The people in there are murderous crazy people. Plus, they made a side blog for people super concerned about it, AND they mentioned it on Arrow to point out they are aware of it, but as far as the show goes it doesn't matter. Suspend your disbelief, remember they all have television and are getting fed. I am morally 100% okay with keeping the guy who they have proof murdered a whole lot of people by turning into a gas in an airtight room.

There are limits to suspension of disbelief, this is one of them on this show - that continues in the background which has been a huge flaw from day one. Evil Guy Who Is Evil doing this isn't the problem, we expect that from him - it's when the so-called heroes do it that suspension of disbelief takes a hit. It's also contradictory that it's evil when Wells does it and not when they do, either it's evil or it's not. A side blog nobody reads and a joke is too little too late for what they've put the heroes in and whether its budget or whatever the more time they spend not addressing the issue the longer it means the audience are going to take it on face value Team Flash aren't as noble as they claim to be. This gives the impression it's not a big priority for them to solve with the audience. Team Arrow not giving a fuck is expected, though even they'd have detractors to this - like Felicity, and we've seen how they deal with prisoners on screen which is shown not to be monstrous. You may be ok with the conditions the show implies, many others aren't - and it detracts the show from being the lighter, Superman-esque show, the heroes aren't meant to be worse than Team Arrow. Flash is their Superman in the Arrow-verse, remember?
    Besides, based on trailers
    A bunch of them aren't going to be in there long anyway.

If we got to ask the writers for one wish of something to fix, and someone said "super prison!" instead of "Iris, all of Iris" I would be very sad.

Why not both? :)

Harry Dresden on
    edited April 2015

I'm totally hoping that something like this happens in the inevitable breakout episode.

Cisco: Please don't hurt me. I was the guy who fed you! Cleaned your cells! Gave you your vitamins!

Meta: You locked us in a secret prison!

Cisco: I gave you movie night!

Meta: You make us watch The Goonies!

Cisco: WHO DOESN'T LIKE THE GOONIES!?

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Guys, you don't get it.

The prison is to protect the metas from being exposed to Iris.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Guys, you don't get it.

The prison is to protect the metas from being exposed to Iris.

Which explains why Girder had to die.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA

Huh, Caitlin is the Sheep baron(ess?), and Cisco doesn't think much of that strategy. Odd, because I took Cisco for a Sheep guy. It's a good strategy, if you get a 2:1 sheep port early. Plus there are so many bad jokes, like, "I have Wood for Sheep. Everybody, pay attention: I have Wood, I need Sheep."

I guess he's probably into Wheat. If you have a City on a high frequency number, you can say, "Double Wheat is double sweet" every time your City procs.

Man, I haven't played Settlers in ages.

OOOOOOH revelation in my brain from the preview trailers.
    In that FACE ME NOW shot, Everyman is on the ground in the cage. WHO WANTS TO BET HE TURNS INTO CISCO AND LURES RF IN THERE AND GETS MURDERED?

In that FACE ME NOW shot, Everyman is on the ground in the cage. WHO WANTS TO BET HE TURNS INTO CISCO AND LURES RF IN THERE AND GETS MURDERED?

Actually, I'm betting
    They try to lure RF in there, turns outs it was Everyman

steam_sig.png

Actually, I'm betting
    They try to lure RF in there, turns outs it was Everyman
    "Wells' is who? Oh fuck, I gotta get out of this city."

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    All stories have their own semiotics. For example, we don't hear about Catilin ever taking a shit, because that's secondary to the narrative.

Suffice it to say that the metas in the prison are being taken care of. That's all we really need to know. There is always going to be some give-and-take with regards to what the storyteller feels is relevant to the purpose of their story and what the audience feels is necessary to understand or appreciate it.

Given I see The Flash as primarily cheeky entertainment, and not some sort of discourse on the nature of justice or documentary on the logistics of prisons, I couldn't care less about how they take care of the metas. My assumption is that they're taken care of. That's all I really need to know. It's the same thing as me not choosing to care about the real-world physics of Barry's powers, or why he ever gets hit by the bad guys in the first place since he's faster than everything AND can phase through matter.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    We don't need to get rid of Iris's actress. What we need is for her to be fulltime Everyman. Which they really seemed to leaning towards.

Also, there's a simple explanation for the room:
    That's Eobard's only cache of future technology in this timeline. It has no security because he absolutely can't risk losing access to it, whereas because he's got speed powers, he can pretty reliably expect to just kill anyone normal who finds it.

The odds of the what, 3 people in Star Labs (which is massive) ever finding it seem pretty low seeing as how Cisco hadn't even bothered looking in that area recently.

I mean, this is a guy who can move so fast he makes a perfect afterimage mirage.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    He also works with two geniuses, a cop, and a superhero.

A little care is in order.

minor incident on
    And they also
    found it inside 30 seconds once they went looking for it. Whereas if it was not at the Lab it would have take at least minutes. And there's no way he can lose access to it since he can go through walls. Or even if he could prevent that, it's still better to stop someone from getting to it as they destroy or take it and whoopsie.

He can't always phase through walls, Thawn's ability to use the speed force has already been shown to fade at least once.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ExrielExriel Registered User regular
    Perhaps a symbol of his hubris? Much like how he lives in a literal glass house.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    He also works with two geniuses, a cop, and a superhero.

A little care is in order.

Well after this week I'd be pretty confident that a sign that says " Nothing here. Nope. Nothing evil at all " would be enough to stop the Brain Trust of Catlin, Iris, and Barry.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited April 2015
    All stories have their own semiotics. For example, we don't hear about Catilin ever taking a shit, because that's secondary to the narrative.

I'd say Flash's meta-human prison is a higher priority to the mechanics in the series than Caitlin going to the bathroom. We also know how someone goes to the bathroom to figure that out - we don't for their prison. The prison is not only background for Team Flash's operation in STAR City how it works informs the characters who work there, and if it is horrifying that undoes all the work the show's put into Team Flash's nobility and destroys the tone. It's like having a Spider-man movie which deeply implies he's a serial killer on weekends. I know people were put off when Superman stalked Lois Lane in Superman Returns and there's how he acted with collateral damage in Man of Steel.
    Suffice it to say that the metas in the prison are being taken care of. That's all we really need to know. There is always going to be some give-and-take with regards to what the storyteller feels is relevant to the purpose of their story and what the audience feels is necessary to understand or appreciate it.

Except there is no give and take with the prison. All we have a tiny bit of knowledge and disturbing implications.
    Given I see The Flash as primarily cheeky entertainment, and not some sort of discourse on the nature of justice or documentary on the logistics of prisons, I couldn't care less about how they take care of the metas. My assumption is that they're taken care of. That's all I really need to know.

I'm not asking for a real life documentary on prisons, simply the basics that the prisoners are ok and they're not living in Flash's Personal Guantanamo. This isn't asking for much. They barely even talk about it on the show and reduce its mechanics to an online blog, so we know they have some ideas so what's the hold up with getting that information on the show? They can't spare a sentence or two each week to the audience to understand how it functions? Do the heroes not talk about that to anybody, even their own team mates? They're running a prison, it'd come up in a conversation. Also, it is kind of important not to unintentionally make the heroes on the show look like monsters by thinking about the prison for five seconds.
    It's the same thing as me not choosing to care about the real-world physics of Barry's powers, or why he ever gets hit by the bad guys in the first place since he's faster than everything AND can phase through matter.

The prison is not normally made, what we have seen it has parts that ordinary prisons don't have since it's from a science experiment - it's not Alcatraz. What gets me is that they'll expend all their energy talking about Flash doing weird shit with fictional super-speed but won't tell us how they run a prison - which is a vital part in how they keep the city safe. Explaining a prison should be easier than explaining Barry time travelling because magic science!

Harry Dresden on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Sweet the comments on this had the screenshot I 've been looking for, this is also good ( wish I could find the big splash with Wells in front)

11020799_10155405750680401_823785869344230363_n.jpg?oh=748ed83f7bd6e81e11a4ca8f39e26ee6&oe=55D241A0

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Here you go. I love this shot:

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-24%20at%2011.41.34%20PM.png

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So from Left to Right:

Unknown (Green Lantern?), The Flash, Wonder Woman, Superman, Batman, Green Arrow, Aquaman. Is that about right?

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Hephaestus, Hermes, Hera, Zeus, Hades, Apollo, Poseidon.

KingofMadCows on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    So from Left to Right:

Unknown (Green Lantern?), The Flash, Wonder Woman, Superman, Batman, Green Arrow, Aquaman. Is that about right?

Unknown has a Hammer/Mace thingy, could also be Hawkman

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    So from Left to Right:

Unknown has a Hammer/Mace thingy, could also be Hawkman

Steel

This discussion has been closed.