As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Flash] Fastest Thread Alive

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    So from Left to Right:

Unknown (Green Lantern?), The Flash, Wonder Woman, Superman, Batman, Green Arrow, Aquaman. Is that about right?

If they're the Greek/Roman gods, then likely:

Hephaestus/Vulcan - Cyborg/Martian Manhunter/Green Lantern
    Hermes/Mercury - The Flash
    Artemis/Diana - Wonder Woman
    Zeus/Jupiter - Superman
    Hades/Pluto - Batman
    Apollo/Apollo - Green Arrow
    Poseidon/Neptune - Aquaman

TBH a lot of this is ambiguous, though. For one, there is only a single female, and I can't make out what it is she's holding. If it's a bow then it's likely Artemis, but it could very well be Hera or Athena one of the other goddesses.

Similarly, even though one of Cyborg, Martian Manhunter, or Green Lantern is likely the Hephaestus figure, it's also possible that they end up using the Atom given he already exists in the show canon. And if Superman isn't available then they might go with Captain Marvel for Zeus. Martian Manhunter might also fit for Hades. And I'm not even sure that's Hades in the first place - it could be Ares?

I wonder if they will ever actually directly reference this again, or if it will just be one of those background things they throw in for general ambiance.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    or its a Justice SOCIETY.

Maybe Season 2 we get Flash of Two Worlds?

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    So from Left to Right:

Unknown (Green Lantern?), The Flash, Wonder Woman, Superman, Batman, Green Arrow, Aquaman. Is that about right?

If they're the Greek/Roman gods, then likely:

Hephaestus/Vulcan - Cyborg/Martian Manhunter/Green Lantern
    Hermes/Mercury - The Flash
    Artemis/Diana - Wonder Woman
    Zeus/Jupiter - Superman
    Hades/Pluto - Batman
    Apollo/Apollo - Green Arrow
    Poseidon/Neptune - Aquaman

TBH a lot of this is ambiguous, though. For one, there is only a single female, and I can't make out what it is she's holding. If it's a bow then it's likely Artemis, but it could very well be Hera or Athena one of the other goddesses.

Similarly, even though one of Cyborg, Martian Manhunter, or Green Lantern is likely the Hephaestus figure, it's also possible that they end up using the Atom given he already exists in the show canon. And if Superman isn't available then they might go with Captain Marvel for Zeus. Martian Manhunter might also fit for Hades. And I'm not even sure that's Hades in the first place - it could be Ares?

I wonder if they will ever actually directly reference this again, or if it will just be one of those background things they throw in for general ambiance.

Captain Marvel fits Zeus even better than Superman kinda, with the whole lightning theme.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I am thinking Hephaestus would be Atom since he was supposed to be the Blue Beetle who built his own armor before DC killed the use. I think they are going to try and link it to characters they can use, or that they could use when making the sets for Flash.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Steel would be good as Hephaestus.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Steel would be good as Hephaestus.

But can they afford Shaq?
    steel05-1339989306.jpg

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    I really think we should get Shazaam/Captain Marvel.

Esp. to get away from the accident causing 100% of all super powers.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    They hinted at that already with the guy who was arrested and locked up in another city when the 'accident' happened.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    re: the room:
    has the show established whether the star labs explosion was actually an accident? Like Thawne wants to recreate the speedforce experiment so that he can get back to his own time, but presumably he didn't intend for it to explode and seed metas everywhere, right? He presumably intended to be out of the current timeline a while ago, not having a group of investigators traipsing around a half-wrecked star labs for a year.

also, show needs to stop teasing me with barry/caitlin already, this is just cruel

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    has the show established whether the star labs explosion was actually an accident? Like Thawne wants to recreate the speedforce experiment so that he can get back to his own time, but presumably he didn't intend for it to explode and seed metas everywhere, right? He presumably intended to be out of the current timeline a while ago, not having a group of investigators traipsing around a half-wrecked star labs for a year.

also, show needs to stop teasing me with barry/caitlin already, this is just cruel

What's that? I assume it's comic spoilers? If so, hit me!

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »

oh

thawne's comic origin was that he's
    basically a crazy Flash fan from the 25th century who gets speed powers or speedforce access or whatever by re-creating the accident that created the Flash. He goes back in time to meet his hero and then goes nuts, essentially; as Reverse Flash (Professor Zoom in the comics) he repeatedly travels back to antagonize the Flash and family and do other crazy stuff.

We've seen Thawne in the show lose access to his powers and get stuck in the current timeline, so I assume his assumption of Wells' identity and jump-starting of Star Labs is an attempt to do the experiment again, get his speed back and return to his own time.

It wouldn't make much sense for him to deliberately create the Flash and all these other meta-people though, so maybe the explosion actually was an accident? The premise of the Flashpoint crossover event was that Thawne tries to stop the Flash from being created but can't (one of those timeline-repairing-itself deals); in doing so he creates an alternate timeline that (iirc) is now the main DC continuity, and it kinda seems like the show writers are cribbing from that.

incidentally, that would also be an artful way for them to separate themselves from whatever the movie people are planning on doing

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

oh

thawne's comic origin was that he's
    basically a crazy Flash fan from the 25th century who gets speed powers or speedforce access or whatever by re-creating the accident that created the Flash. He goes back in time to meet his hero and then goes nuts, essentially; as Reverse Flash (Professor Zoom in the comics) he repeatedly travels back to antagonize the Flash and family and do other crazy stuff.

We've seen Thawne in the show lose access to his powers and get stuck in the current timeline, so I assume his assumption of Wells' identity and jump-starting of Star Labs is an attempt to do the experiment again, get his speed back and return to his own time.

It wouldn't make much sense for him to deliberately create the Flash and all these other meta-people though, so maybe the explosion actually was an accident? The premise of the Flashpoint crossover event was that Thawne tries to stop the Flash from being created but can't (one of those timeline-repairing-itself deals); in doing so he creates an alternate timeline that (iirc) is now the main DC continuity, and it kinda seems like the show writers are cribbing from that.

incidentally, that would also be an artful way for them to separate themselves from whatever the movie people are planning on doing

Based on some scenes/lines I've remember, especially from the earlier episodes:
    He absolutely intended for the Accelerator to fail as it did, and create The Flash (though maybe not all of the metas that came with him). Hell, in the episode that flashbacked to the night of the reactor explosion to show Ronnie sacrificing himself, we see in the stinger that he had a secret camera in the CCPD's Crime Lab just so that he could watch Barry get struck by lightning.

IIRC, in the comics, Speedsters (especially Barry and his descendants) generate Speed Force. Depending on how Thawne first made himself a speedster, recreating the Flash might have been the easiest/only way to get the Speed Force energy needed to get his powers back so that he can return to his own time

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Wait. Re: Intended Explosion
    He had a camera in Barry's lab. He almost certainly still has cameras in Barry's lab.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    He had a camera in Barry's lab. He almost certainly still has cameras in Barry's lab.

Yup! Then again, this is the sort of plothole to simply get handwaved away by this show ;)

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

Yup! Then again, this is the sort of plothole to simply get handwaved away by this show ;)

Hopefully not. We do have Arrow Season 2 as precedent:

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Said camera obviously got hit by speed lightning and exploded.

PROBLEM. SOLVED.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular

PROBLEM. SOLVED.

I assume Barry isn't a fan of...

8-)

...Flash photography.

• Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular

PROBLEM. SOLVED.

I assume Barry isn't a fan of...

8-)

...Flash photography.

android%20vs%20iphone%20flash.jpg

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Oh shii captain cold team up? WHAT WHAT?!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    omgomgomg
    1) that's Ra's Ollie
    2) Where's Ray?!
    3) There's a frame where Ollie is straight up attempting to murder Reverse Flash and I cannot wait

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I wrapped up the Daredevil series a few days ago and it was some pretty awesome stuff.

But to be honest, the Flash series looks like it's going to blow my nerd-socks off so hard that they'll travel back in time and wipe out the dinosaurs.

And this is season 1. I do not envy what these folks will have to do to even just maintain the quality for later seasons.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I wrapped up the Daredevil series a few days ago and it was some pretty awesome stuff.

But to be honest, the Flash series looks like it's going to blow my nerd-socks off so hard that they'll travel back in time and wipe out the dinosaurs.

And this is season 1. I do not envy what these folks will have to do to even just maintain the quality for later seasons.

They have plenty of wacky material to adapt and take inspiration from.

• Options
    Just throwing it out there... what if they were such on a roll we got a marvel cross over event? doesn't even have to be an A lister or current MCU character. God, could you imagine a cross over with X-men DoFP Quicksilver?

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Grodd photos
    FLA121_SG_049_020_150d8.jpg
    FLA121_SG_033_090_074cf.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    While it may be a touch uncouth, I don't believe any description is more appropriate for these last four episodes than "balls to the wall."

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Oh shii captain cold team up? WHAT WHAT?!

I like that Cold is just cool (heh) like that. If Flash has an crazy enough plan, sure why the fuck wouldn't he help out? Robbing that diamond exchange can always wait until next week.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah you get the impression that Cold does it for the fun of doing it. "Capture someone you can't handle flash? Sure I ain't got nothing."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Well sure, that was established back when he and Flash had their little talk. He wants the chase (and the win), that's what interests him more than anything else. Captain Cold is basically a villainous themed adrenaline junkie. And then Wentworth chews the scenery in his delivery and it's perfect.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Um, spoiler in this article from the get go.
    [url="http://comicbook.com/[/url]

But there is specifically a big one for haters of Iris.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    useless4 wrote: »
    Um, spoiler in this article from the get go.
    [url="http://comicbook.com/[/url]

But there is specifically a big one for haters of Iris.

Linky no worky.

• Options
    Oh shit oh shit oh shit this episode is already so cool.

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    FOUNDING MEMBER......

:surprised: !!!!!!!

• Options
    I think I just died from fanboy.

• Options
    It weirds me out how much the inside of the West household reminds me of the inside of the Summers house from Buffy.

• Options
    Haha, oh, Iris.
    It's so cute how she's so proud of her brilliant deduction about the Star Labs explosion. Like a million years too late.

• Options
    Oh man. Where has this show been all my life?

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Holy shit this show.

• Options
    Haha, I love it.
    Chekhov's hidden camera has come home to roost. What a perfect little bow to tie on that plot point.

• Options
    Man, Tom Cavanagh is pretty amazing when they let him off the leash.

This discussion has been closed.