As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

need new ear buds. Any recommendations?

Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better.Registered User regular
So I currently have a pair of klipsch x10 for three - four years and the left earbud is dying.

So, it's time for a new pair. My budget is -$400. In a huge audiophile and I spend alot of money on audio. I'm looking at sennheiser ie80 and ie60, leaving towards the 80. But, I can't quite bite the bullet on a $350 pair of ear buds, cause my audio source for these headphones is going to be my phone and handheld consoles.

Anyone has any experience with these ear buds? Or any recommendations?

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    @Tef may be able to help you out.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I think you're northern right track there. It's a tough question to answer when you're playing for a portable player in terms of how much you should spend.

Are you using a lossless codec for your music? Have you considered picking up a portable DAC like a fiio or something?

If you want to say fuck it and want to get just a nice set of canal phones that will sound good on a standard phone player, I would recommend:
    Brainwavz B2
    Audiotechnica ATH-IM70
    audiofly AF-78
    Etymotic hf5

That's a starting point at least! Definitely check in with the audiophile thread and of you want to look at dac + headphone options just holler

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    While I do have a lot of lossless audio, it's all not on my phone. I'm not planning to pick up a portable DAC and amp, cause that'll be one more thing to carry.

I heard a lot of good things about the audiofy af180, but that's a hefty price tag. How does the af78 compare?

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I'm far from an audiophile but I always liked The Wirecutter reviews: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-200-in-ear-headphones/ seems to be the most expensive category they have for in ears. The article is over a year old, though.

Then there's also this one: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-noise-cancelling-in-ear-headphones-so-far/

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Sony. For earbuds they should be an obvious choice but they once was so mainstream that people now forget them.

You'll find they offer a huge range and they really know what they are doing, meaning comfy, great sound, clever details and all that. If you spend like $100 you will get something that more than matches using a phone as source.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    If you're listening to audio on an iphone, I so love goodhertz.com/canopener/ as an alternative to the default music player. Makes even pretty shitty earbuds sound a lot better.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So at the end of the day I ended up getting a pair of Dunu DN-1000, based on the very good reviews I read on them. They should be here Saturday so I'll be sure to let everyone on the audiophile thread know my opinions on them.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    While I do have a lot of lossless audio, it's all not on my phone. I'm not planning to pick up a portable DAC and amp, cause that'll be one more thing to carry.

I heard a lot of good things about the audiofy af180, but that's a hefty price tag. How does the af78 compare?

The 180s are noticeably superior, mainly in how detailed they are. The bass is probably a bit punchier too. I suppose I'm not sure if they're $300 better is all. if you must have the best of the best then sure, otherwise you won't be disappointed with the 78s

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Natas_XnoybisNatas_Xnoybis Registered User regular
    sounds like people with loads more knowledge, but I bought a pair of Shure earbuds hmm 2008ish (so model probably no longer around) for ~$250 or 300ish and have been very very happy with them.

I hate Computers
    GIS is evil