As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Season 2! Join the PAF community if you need a clan invite

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I think that, given how silly that buff is, I'm going to jump on the PTR and level a seasonal something. Crusader? Maybe a DH?

• Options
    I've got a level 30 or so Crusader on live in Season; how long would it take to rush him to 70 and does anyone feel like doing that for me? If they're going to do a full Transmog set for hitting 70 on seasons I guess that's something I want =/

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    @Rius join the Powereleveling1to70 community, lots of free help there. Also check the Diablo 3 subreddit as often people will post that they're just going to be online and don't mind carrying people for levels. If you do find someone who can properly level you (they can solo carry you T6) it wouldn't even take an hour I don't think. It goes super quick.
    Besides that, I have a 70 season wizard that I got leveled up so I don't have much gear, but I could at least kill stuff faster to level you quicker than you would solo. I might be able to get on a bit tonight to help you out if you want (around 7:30pm PST or so).

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Thanks for the info =) I'll hit up the community later at some point.

Just played for ~30 minutes on this new DH. 20 levels on Normal and like 14 unique drops. Not going to lie, this is how I want the game to be all the time >.>

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I found a Buriza on my PTR DH; is this something that I'm going to be sad I didn't find on live 'cause super rare? Every projectile getting guaranteed pierces is pretty stronk. Doubling up on Impale damage per cast is pretty swank.

Edit: Of course, I'm level 38 so vOv

Rius on
  • Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    I wonder if they are going to make a discount on D3 on Christmas. I'm still not sure if I will enjoy it. I liked D2 a lot, but it's not really the same game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Buriza + Entangling Shot is a shitload of fun woah

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Boy, I sure would love to revel in this +infinity leg drop rate on PTR and then share miserable screenshots of ancient Starmetal Kukris.

But there's a 2-hour long queue to get on PTR.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I heard D3 is awesome on console and I can get the base game and expansion for $40 on console. Worth it?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I think the best part of console D3 would be playing with a buddy on the couch. Otherwise PC is just how it's done (I'm not talking PC master race crap, I mean it's just not the same with a controller).

• Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I heard D3 is awesome on console and I can get the base game and expansion for $40 on console. Worth it?
    Depends on the console and what you're willing to put up with for public multiplayer.

The PC version will always be the lead dev platform, can run on old ass hardware, and gets patches first. There's no hacking issues to worry about in public games either. Likely still has more people playing it here and online in general for group play. Those are worth considering based on how long you want the games legs to be for you.

PS360 versions are just as fun but won't be patched much, if at all, going forward. Not really worth it unless it's quite literally the only way to play D3, which considering toasters can run the game, just get it on PC instead.

PS4 and Xbone versions have already been patched to 2.1, the latest major content patch on PC, but it took a few months. Going forward Blizz says they'll keep patching the console to keep it up to date with the PC release, and they have with the one major content patch since they stated that, so that's a good sign. Even if they ever do drop patch support on PS4/Xbone it shouldn't be for a while, just have to deal with getting patches later than PC.

All console versions are riddled with hackers for public games, and given Blizz's lack of a response, likely always will be. Blizz doesn't have server control like they do on the PC version so if you want to play in non duped and hacked pub games it can be a hassle at times. Hacking consoles are trivial now so it's an annoyance going forward. So far the hacking is just items that let you one shot everything in the game, haven't seen anything that will corrupt your saves or allow PKing a la PSO back in the day.

Control wise the controller is just as accurate and responsive a way to play as the mouse and keyboard. If you're a kb/m diehard you'd already be playing the PC version anyway so there's a good chance you'll prefer the controller to kb/m anyway.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    All right, feel like I'm actually getting somewhere new on my Sader. Found a Darklight recently and switched up from Shield Toss (with no Gyrfalcon) back to fire Fist of Heavens with Firestarter champion. Also took off Magefist to get Captain's belt and pants for full bonus back and now I have about 4s CD on Champion. Really need to get a Gift or two for a Fate of the Fell and to roll back the socket on my Darklight.

Oh yeah, and a cool sader I was pub running rifts with ended up finding a Swiftmount (which I mentioned I didn't have) and messaged me later to give it to me since I was in the game when it dropped. Unfortunately, he also mentioned that an Unrelenting Phalanx dropped a little bit after I left that game... :x but still, free legendary is cool.

Edit: also, I HATE wallers and love using Fist of the Heavens and not caring about throwing projectiles...but I still really need some Kull Aid so I can avoid getting trapped.

Custom Special on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Well the only reason I was going to buy it on console is because I could get both games for the price of just one of them, it is mostly a passing interest so I didn't feel that the $40 price for each game on PC was worth it for me. KBAM or controller doesn't really matter to me. I also only know one person who plays on console and I don't know if they even play anymore. I think I'll just pass for now.

Thanks for the information.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh...
    GWwOJgE.png

HooverFan on
    BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    HooverFan wrote: »
    Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh...
    GWwOJgE.png
    Wow...even has one of the best secondaries too...

• Options
    Well the only reason I was going to buy it on console is because I could get both games for the price of just one of them, it is mostly a passing interest so I didn't feel that the $40 price for each game on PC was worth it for me. KBAM or controller doesn't really matter to me. I also only know one person who plays on console and I don't know if they even play anymore. I think I'll just pass for now.

Thanks for the information.
    @Stragint
    It's still fun solo, so if the multiplayer stuff scared you keep that in mind. There's a lot of content you're getting even if you never play it multi, local or online. Adventure mode with bounties, rifts, and grifts make solo play a lot of fun if you end up hating the story like most do.

I should of made it clearer for you and anyone else who skims the thread and had the same question, but the game is exactly the same between PC and console. The only differences are with whatever patch the console has versus whatever patch PC is on at the time, and some of the things that are still console specific like item trading and the nemesis system.

Even if you pass now if you're looking for a fun loot grinder D3, be it PC, Xbone, or PS4, is a solid one to grab when you get that itch again.

• Options
    AhiMahiAhiMahi Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    All right, feel like I'm actually getting somewhere new on my Sader. Found a Darklight recently and switched up from Shield Toss (with no Gyrfalcon) back to fire Fist of Heavens with Firestarter champion. Also took off Magefist to get Captain's belt and pants for full bonus back and now I have about 4s CD on Champion. Really need to get a Gift or two for a Fate of the Fell and to roll back the socket on my Darklight.

Oh yeah, and a cool sader I was pub running rifts with ended up finding a Swiftmount (which I mentioned I didn't have) and messaged me later to give it to me since I was in the game when it dropped. Unfortunately, he also mentioned that an Unrelenting Phalanx dropped a little bit after I left that game... :x but still, free legendary is cool.

Edit: also, I HATE wallers and love using Fist of the Heavens and not caring about throwing projectiles...but I still really need some Kull Aid so I can avoid getting trapped.

Look me up when you are on and feel free to ping for for any runs you want to do. I have been running T4 rifts and grifts as crusader but I think I can do T6 rifts now.

Ahimahi#1373

AhiMahi on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Maybe a dumb question but are all the new items in the patch going to be seasonal? like specifically the new wiz set

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Maybe a dumb question but are all the new items in the patch going to be seasonal? like specifically the new wiz set
    Quoted portion is Blizz's response I pulled from DFans.

Am I correct to assume that all the new contents meant for 2.1.2 will only be implemented for seasonal only, specifically season 2? i.e. Ancient legendary, New set items, New legendary etc? Is there anything for people who doesn't like or play seasonal to look forward to for the new patch?
    Some of the new content coming in patch 2.1.2 - including new Treasure Goblins and Ancient Items - will be available to all heroes, regardless of whether they're Seasonal.

In addition, when Season 2 begins, Seasonal heroes will have a first crack at brand new Seasonal Legendary items (as well as a few existing Legendary items which have been updated with shiny new powers). The two new Legendary Gems that were announced at BlizzCon will also be Season-only, at least to start.

Just as a reminder: At the end of Season 2, all Seasonal Legendary items (including the new Legendary gems) will be rolled over into the non-Seasonal loot pool, at which point non-Seasonal heroes will also have access to them. The only items which are truly exclusive to Seasons are the Seasonal transmog appearances, new Conquests, and new banner rewards.

For more info on Season 2, you can check out our Season 2 preview blog here. Hope that answers your question, Irvin!.
    Does it mean the new wizard slow time set is also season only?
    The new Set items shown during our BlizzCon panel are currently designed to be available to all heroes, regardless of whether they are Seasonal. That said, I do want to clarify that these items will not be coming in patch 2.1.2; they’re scheduled to arrive in a later patch (no date to share just yet).
    So to clarify, older legendaries that are getting changes (Wormwood, Gungdo Gear) aren't getting retroactively changed, like The Furnace did?
    Correct. For any Legendary items in patch 2.1.2 that are getting a new Legendary power, the old version will not retroactively have the new powers added.
    Please give us some clarity here - existing legendaries that are getting changes (Wormwood, etc)... will they be available to non seasonal players or not? Do non seasonal players have to wait until the end of season 2? Your posts on this have NOT been clear.
    But will the new Wormwood and Gungdo be exclusive to seasons?
    Now that I reread it, I can see how my answer was confusing. Let me clarify a bit:

In patch 2.1.2, we'll be adding new versions of several existing Legendary items that do not currently have a unique power to the game.
    Some of these new Legendary items are Seasonal, available only to heroes who participate in Season 2 (until the Season ends), and some are not.
    As soon as the patch hits, two things will happen:
    The old, no-power versions of these Legendary items will stop dropping (in both Seasonal and non-Seasonal games)
    The new versions of these Legendary items that are non-Seasonal will start dropping (in both Seasonal and non-Seasonal games)
    The new versions of these Legendary items that are now Seasonal will not drop until Season 2 begins.
    To find out more about which of these new items are Seasonal or non-Seasonal, be sure to visit our patch notes here.

Hope that makes more sense!
    So apparently the new areas AND the new sets will all be in a future patch and this new patch will be:
    rift balance
    /treasure goblins
    /ancient items
    /3 new season only legendary items (old legs redone)
    /all other announced season 2 content
    /new rift maps
    /and two new legendary gems that are for season only to start.
    That's looks correct.

Please keep in mind that the new Seasonal Legendary items (including the three new Legendary gems) will only appear in Season 2, and we are looking to start Season 2 sometime after patch 2.1.2 goes live. As a result, players won't begin to see these items drop right away.
    What about the Raiment of a Thousand Storms set for Monks? The redesign isn't in the PTR, but that's the set I was most excited about testing out.
    The change to the Raiment of a Thousand Storms Set will be coming in a later patch, along with the introduction of the new Set items shown at BlizzCon.

Column on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Does it mean the new wizard slow time set is also season only?

The new Set items shown during our BlizzCon panel are currently designed to be available to all heroes, regardless of whether they are Seasonal. That said, I do want to clarify that these items will not be coming in patch 2.1.2; they’re scheduled to arrive in a later patch (no date to share just yet).

that is fucking brutal

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    They've clearly gutted the support development team for this game since 2.1. But that's cool. I'll be playing Dragon Age: Inquisition nonstop for the next 6 months anyway...

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    what is even going on over there

guess I'll play the second season to get the transmog then wait for whatever mysterious patch that's actually going to bring the new items

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    yeah this patch really feels minor

I'll probably run a bit of content in live 2.1.2. but I was really hoping for some fresh stuff that would give new builds/sets to keep me playing

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    H3iG868.png

Huzzah, I finally got a pair! They're not great, admittedly. Rolled with Int/Vit/IAS/Armor initially, also low end on the affix. Luckily I was able to swap the Armor for 50% CHD on the first reroll.

But if I'm correct in guessing that Serpent Sparker and TnT are going to be best in slot for Wizards next patch, then I'm sorta set on that end. If not, then my WD can have em.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    NamonNamon Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

If you are wanting to PUG (group with random people) the conversation ends with the PC version. The console versions greatest strength is offline single player but at the cost of pretty much ruining multiplayer with all the dupes. So, unless you are going to just run with RL buddies or in a trusted community like a forum group or something, then I wouldn't waste your time. The other thing is seasonal stuff. If you want to do that, then PC is your only choice too.

Personally for mechanics, I think the controller is built for these types of games, and to this day, I do not understand why Diablo 2 never made the jump to console. I personally just bought my PS4 this weekend and I'm amazed at how much more natural it just feels running it with a controller. Although I wish you could have a little more freedom in mapping the buttons instead of waiting for all your skills to unlock and shuffle them around. I have pretty much seen this sentiment echoed in many other places (including Penny Arcade recently, find the story Diarblo for more info), so unless you are a KBM purist, I'd say you'd like it.

The HUD is vastly superior to the PC's HUD in almost every way. It condenses what takes up nearly the entire bottom of your screen into one very nice and sleek energy bar with a circle representing your resource. However, like the PC it is maddening to me why I can't display my HP numbers inside my health bar but hey, can't have everything I guess, and I'm sure there is some Blizzard Corporate Speak answer for this about sacrificing raid content to make it happen. Also it is slightly more zoomed in for the consoles (not to the level it zooms when you go into the inventory on PC), and I really like it, as it feels more immersive.

Now for the negative (at least for me personally). The interface for the menu system (inventory, skills, etc) is clunky as all get out. The ring system is ok, I just wish you could rotate around it instead of the directional thing they try. Then the inventory itself is just not very intuitive. I have to hit some buttons to see the gear's stats, Keep in mind, this is day 2 of me owning it and it may just be me unprogramming my brain after two plus years of running the PC version. So with you being a first timer period, you may have different results in that area.

Overall, for single player especially, I personally think the new gen consoles are best (PS4/Xbox One). For multiplayer/seasons definitely go PC. You also mentioned 40 bucks, so it sounds like you are going for the previous gen consoles. If that is the case, just understand you are going to get the game frozen just before the last major patch which introduced major balancing for classes. There are some classes that were still pretty rough at that time, so it may diminish your experience as well, and I'd personally go with PC in that case as well.

Namon on
  • Options
    Blizz wrote:
    To help minimize duplication of efforts, here are our current known issues involving Nephalem/Greater Rifts:

Nephalem Rifts/Greater Rifts
    Rift levels using the Core of Arreat tileset can roll with gaps in the game world, preventing player progress through the rift
    Rift levels using the Realm of the Banished tileset is currently rolling with no monsters
    Monsters can spawn very close to the entrance of rift levels using the Caverns of Aranae tileset
    Cancelling a Greater Rift that is initiated by another player within a multiplayer game will prevent further rifts from being opened within that game session

Higher level Greater Rifts (26+) and Greater Rift Trials are awarding too much Experience and Gold
    We really appreciate your help testing Patch 2.1.2 on the PTR! Thank you!
    I love game development.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    @Namon‌ No the inventory/stash interface is my biggest gripe as well.

people looked at me funny when i mentioned that here, glad to see i'm not alone.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    wqJdqcC.png

Finally. Fucking. Ranked.

Goddamn. I had been trying so hard to place on the leaderboards and finally luck swings my way. Rank 400!! That's way more than I was expecting. I would've been satisfied with just being at the bottom.

I actually ran a GRift 38 before the 39, I was 2 seconds off from ranking. Decided to try my luck with a 39, glad I did.

Oh yeah, and this was without a Furnace. Was using an okay-ish Sunkeeper (no gift) with Firebird offhand and Cindercoat. Link to my Wiz's profile, for anyone interested.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Grats, I can't seem to do 37. I seem to suck at getting out of the way of stuff. Also thanks to @SkyAndPie‌ for carrying my immovable ass through some 39/40 rifts last night!

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Im coming for you @Dibby‌ (im intending to break 40 this week).

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    They've clearly gutted the support development team for this game since 2.1. But that's cool. I'll be playing Dragon Age: Inquisition nonstop for the next 6 months anyway...

I would be really surprised if they were not deep in production on the next expansion at this point.

After RoS was such a big success it's clear that there's still an appetite for the game and it's definitely still able to make money, and it's also clear that they're not throwing their full weight behind patch support since the greater rift/season patch, so they've got to be working on something.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Scosglen wrote: »

I would be really surprised if they were not deep in production on the next expansion at this point.

After RoS was such a big success it's clear that there's still an appetite for the game and it's definitely still able to make money, and it's also clear that they're not throwing their full weight behind patch support since the greater rift/season patch, so they've got to be working on something.

Expansion 2 maybe... but with what's actually coming out in 2.1.2, there's no reason for it to take this long.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Scosglen wrote: »

They're working on somethings not just something.

Those things are called World of Warcraft, Hearthstone, and Heroes of the Storm. Games they make a hell of a lot more money on than they ever will on Diablo since they shutdown the AH.

Can probably add Overwatch to that. I've read zero information about it other than watching the trailer and one gameplay video but since they're already copying TF2's gameplay it'd be silly to not copy TF2's hats. As well received as Overwatch was they've got a chance to make a shitload of money from cosmetics given what they charge for them in HotS.

Column on
  • Options
    Props to @AhiMahi for running my seasonal Wiz on some rifts last night. I was complaining to him that all the legendary drops I was getting were either craft plans or worthless follower tokens, and then I got a few swords!...that were all terrible. I did eventually get Nemesis Bracers which are something, and then Kadala kind of gave me Firebird chest and shoulders and I figured that kind of made up for it?

Only problem is I'm very much a melee player and have been 100% Crusader since getting RoS a couple months ago so I need to learn how to actually build and play Wiz but I like the CC options they have available to play with.

• Options
    Finally bought it. Have a question, though.
    I remeber that in D2, certain classes weren't effective on later difficulties. Is it the case here?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Redthirst wrote: »
    I remeber that in D2, certain classes weren't effective on later difficulties. Is it the case here?

Incorrect, fortunately. All classes perform extremely well at high difficulties. There's some that are more bonkers than others (cough Demon Hunters cough), but otherwise all classes are performing well. The current state of the game is that there's really only 1 viable build per class at the moment (some have 2, like Demon Hunter or Witch Doctor), but that will hopefully change in future patches.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options

Everyone can do the highest standard difficulty in D3 (Torment 6).

When you push past that into the endless-scaling-difficulty mode (greater rifts), solo melee classes (Barbarians Monks, Crusaders) tend to run into issues earlier than the other classes.

• Options
    Well, then I will try Monk. As far as I understand, his main weapons are fist weapons and other stuff like katars that Assassin from D2 used, right?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well, then I will try Monk. As far as I understand, his main weapons are fist weapons and other stuff like katars that Assassin from D2 used, right?

you get fist weapons (dual-equip) or you can use a two-handed daibo staff

technically you can also use sword and shield combos, although most of those won't have your class-specific legendary effects

• Options
    Ok, great. Also, Mantras are some hybrid of auras and AoE buffs, right?

steam_sig.png