As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Season 2! Join the PAF community if you need a clan invite

• Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    Redthirst wrote: »
    Well, then I will try Monk. As far as I understand, his main weapons are fist weapons and other stuff like katars that Assassin from D2 used, right?
    You use whatever you find and want for your build. The monk has daibos and fist weapons as its unique weapons but you're not limited to them. Itemization is a bit different here than it was in D2.

To add to what others already said you can play whatever you want until T3/T4 build and gear wise. T5 gets a little more limited and then T6 varies from class to class with how efficient you want to be. I can still run through T6 just fine with my Crusader throwing shields but it takes a significantly longer time than running through it with a condemn build.

If you find you want to grift at high levels and still melee, like 40+ grifts, you'd be better off playing a Barb for solo play. Raekor's set basically makes you unkillable coupled with a belt and specific build then you conduit shrine the guardian. Monk you're stuck with a tanky, zero damage build in group play where you just stay alive and group enemies together.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Ok, great. Also, Mantras are some hybrid of auras and AoE buffs, right?

yeah, they're like auras

have a big radius, affect all pets/allies

• Options
    NamonNamon Registered User regular
    Strange thing happened to me today on my console crusader (Str character until the passive that allows me to socket diamonds for str). It was a day off at work today so I plowed through that initial run through the story mode to unlock adventure, and I had 3 rubies drop total and they were low quality. So, I'm sitting on a ton of each of the other gems, but only two rubies. I have been playing this game since release and I have never had to go this long without socketing any gear like this.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    There will definitely be a 2.2 with probably a couple cool features and that will be it until the next expansion. I'm fine with that, the game doesn't have any really glaring deficiencies right now. Everything else they can do is just icing.

What I would most like to see is an option to skip leveling in the Ladder, with some sort of incentive program for going through with it. Just put the transmogs behind a paragon level for people who skip to 70. It's not that I hate leveling up necessarily, so much as it is that my renewed enthusiasm for the game is usually close to waning by the time I hit 70, and I would rather spend that time in the endgame instead.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Okay, so, I've got my full firebird set, plus got the boots today so I could finally swap back to my Cindercoat. Here's my Wizard's current state:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Kad-1432/hero/1512305

So, what's the best thing for me to shoot for now? Some wrists I should be wearing instead? A better tuned Witching Hour or something else entirely? I guess my rings and such could use some improvement. I could also start working on another Hellfire amulet.

What do I do now?

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Cog wrote: »
    Okay, so, I've got my full firebird set, plus got the boots today so I could finally swap back to my Cindercoat. Here's my Wizard's current state:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Kad-1432/hero/1512305

So, what's the best thing for me to shoot for now? Some wrists I should be wearing instead? A better tuned Witching Hour or something else entirely? I guess my rings and such could use some improvement. I could also start working on another Hellfire amulet.

What do I do now?

First off, drop Conflagration for Blur. That's a huge chunk of toughness you're missing out on. Swap your Energy Armor rune to Prismatic Armor and your Magic Weapon rune to Force Weapon. You might want to drop Bane of the Powerful for Gem of Efficacious Toxin as well, but probably later on. BotP is a good low-end Gem but it gets outpaced by other Gems later on.

Gear wise, Strongarm Bracers should be a priority, those are a huge DPS boost.

After that, I'd suggest getting some better Firebird pieces. I notice you're lacking a lot of Vitality which means you have to gem for it, which means you're losing out on gemming Int. You want a Helm with Int/Vit/Crit/Socket, Shoulders with Int/Vit/Armor/Life% (you can sub out Armor or Life% for Blizzard Damage, if you like), and Gloves with Int/Vit/Crit Chance/Crit Damage. Also you should reroll life regen on Boots to Armor.

Long term you're gonna want to be on the lookout for two Unities and a better SoJ. That means you can drop RoRG and Cindercoat for Unity/SoJ and Firebird Chest. Your Witching Hour rolled low end, but it's still decent as is. That should be your lowest priority, imo. Only work on getting a better WH after you've gotten better everything else.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    I actually have two Unities, but one is level 60 and my level 70 is mediocre. I know the survivability boost is great, but the lvl 70 unity is rolled pretty awful. Also, with dropping the cindercoat, I'm dropping the 20% fire damage, which I'm hesitant at. I suppose it depends on how my firebird's chest is rolled? I believe it's just int/vit/armor and sockets.

I know my firebirds are generally so so for the most part, just getting the set complete was the first big step. I feel like my head and gloves are the weakest of the pieces I have.

My SoJ is pretty awful, but the elite damage still makes it better than a lot of my other options. I loathe dumping so goddamn many shards on accessory pieces, so I'll probably work on improving the firebirds first.

• Options
    Cog wrote: »
    I actually have two Unities, but one is level 60 and my level 70 is mediocre. I know the survivability boost is great, but the lvl 70 unity is rolled pretty awful. Also, with dropping the cindercoat, I'm dropping the 20% fire damage, which I'm hesitant at. I suppose it depends on how my firebird's chest is rolled? I believe it's just int/vit/armor and sockets.

I know my firebirds are generally so so for the most part, just getting the set complete was the first big step. I feel like my head and gloves are the weakest of the pieces I have.

My SoJ is pretty awful, but the elite damage still makes it better than a lot of my other options. I loathe dumping so goddamn many shards on accessory pieces, so I'll probably work on improving the firebirds first.

Yeah, you should never gamble for anything except Armor pieces, so don't worry about it there. They'll come naturally. I believe double Unity only works with two level 70 versions, so at the very worst you can find a decent one and give your crap one to your follower.

You're fine to keep your Cindercoat for now, it'll do you better in the short term than a Firebird Chest will. With a Fire SoJ you'd drop down to ~40% Fire Damage, which is fine, really. But until then I say keep the Cindercoat.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I think you already mentioned that although your unity is 60, it was gotten post RoS so has the legendary tag? Throw that sucker on your follower and use the other one. The boost is pretty good. That SoJ is pretty bad, I think even a unity would be better than it.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    for 2-handed FB sorcs any soj beats any other ring because we can't get that much % fire dmg on our other slots. Without soj you could well be stuck with only 20% from bracers

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    What I really need is a fucking third hand to put another ring on.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Cog, if I were you, I would hold off on making an Hellfire Amulets until after the next patch goes live. I'm afraid they probably won't make the process any less asinine, but if you're going to burn the mats and time on the thing, might as well do it when you have a chance of getting a serviceable/good/well/perfectly rolled Ancient Hellfire Amulet. Hell, if you craft one when patch goes live, it increases the likelihood that you'll get one that you'll use some before replacing it with a Ancient version of some other amulet.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I swear there some voodoo to getting a RRoG. That, or everyone plays the game all the time to get theirs, I've easily had 30 plus horadric caches, with an average torment level of over 2, and never found one. It's hard to keep wanting to run bounties when the rewards are so terribly crappy.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    I know old news, but Diablofans had a chart up listing how the damage changes to mobs in 26+ would math out. It should be noted that this isn't an official release from Blizz, so it could end up being wrong. Should be interesting to see how that impacts some of the BS since starting at grift 26, if the info is correct, mob damage only goes up 10% instead of 13.2%. So it'll be interesting if that change coupled with the vit change (70hp instead of 67 per point of vit IIRC) will result in more people failing rifts because their damage can't keep up with the rate of mob health scaling (which is unchanged) and if that will allow melee builds to be a bit more viable (IMO melee needs more toughness, ideally in a form that activates based on range, since melee builds need the buff and not the range builds that some melee classes have).

• Options
    Septus wrote: »
    I swear there some voodoo to getting a RRoG. That, or everyone plays the game all the time to get theirs, I've easily had 30 plus horadric caches, with an average torment level of over 2, and never found one. It's hard to keep wanting to run bounties when the rewards are so terribly crappy.

Just try to leech some A1 caches in a T6 game. I'm sure someone here will be able to carry you for about an hour....

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    yeah it really shouldn't take long on t6

if you do have to do it solo, you should gear up to be t6 capable first before going for the rorg

if you ever see me on in TMH, just whisper me and I can run you through some bounties until you get lucky

• Options
    I found a pretty good SoJ yesterday, rolled with Crit Chance so I was able to roll off the Int to a Socket!

Only problem is, it's not Fire.
    B3YvnB9CQAA62og.png:large

Boo Arcane booooooo.

Maybe it'll be good with Delsere's? Have to wait and see when the set comes out, I guess.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    can...can you not reroll the element on these?

im guessing you already have a cc/sock/int fire soj....

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    I believe you can, but that mean he either has a ring with int, socket, CHC and elite damage, or it has int, fire damage, CHC and elite damage. IMO socket, elite damage and element damage are too good to give up on an SoJ. So by that metric, one only has int and CHC to reroll.

• Options
    I just wish that the benefits from a SoJ were apparent in sheet damage

I need my epeen stats

I need them so bad

• Options
    edited November 2014
    bwanie wrote: »
    can...can you not reroll the element on these?

im guessing you already have a cc/sock/int fire soj....

If I recall correctly, you can't reroll the element damage to a different element. Even if you could, irrelevant anyway since it didn't have a socket.

And yeah, I already have a Fire SoJ with Fire Dmg/Int/Elite Dmg/Socket.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    You can definitely reroll the element on a Stone of Jordan into anything a ring can get, plus a different element.

butts
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

if you do have to do it solo, you should gear up to be t6 capable first before going for the rorg

if you ever see me on in TMH, just whisper me and I can run you through some bounties until you get lucky

I'm on the ps3 unfortunately.

I struggle to see how I'd ready t6 capability without the ring though, I don't think I can get perma champion without saving one of the slots from my akkhans, or hoping randomly for a more build defining weapon like a BoP.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Things that I would like to see with the paper doll and even the more detailed damage sheet.

-Calculations of what dps is based on highest element stacked. Should be displayed on the paper doll.
    -CDR Should also be displayed on the paper doll (would also be nice if tool tips were dynamic).
    -Listing what damage would look like in the details section for when each CD dps skill selected are active and various stack compositions. (saves people issues of having to open the character sheet and click CDs).
    -Listing of total dps average with a metric that assumes max up time on all CDs.
    -Listing of what damage would be if the player only used one of their attacks. There would be a listing for each attack that is selected (idea being to give players a better idea of how element damage and skill damage is impacting their damage).
    -Similar listing for each individual pet group. If they're really good could probably get it so that it can list passive pets like the WD's sycophant fetishes or the avatars from the Crusader's Falling Sword Rise Brothers rune. If they are super awesome maybe they can get pets from items (shadow clones from vaxo or avatars from baleful remnant).
    -Listing of what this all would like like if used against elites.

I'll admit that could get a bit long. Maybe the detail sheet could have a tap at the bottom of the current damage numbers that would open a new window or section for those of us that would like to see this stuff.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Septus wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »

I'm on the ps3 unfortunately.

I struggle to see how I'd ready t6 capability without the ring though, I don't think I can get perma champion without saving one of the slots from my akkhans, or hoping randomly for a more build defining weapon like a BoP.

You can do T6 without permanent champion, just have steel skin as one of your active skills and use it to fill in the gap during champion downtime. I haven't tried to get permanent champion on any of my sader builds without Crimson set or Leoric's Crown, but it might be possible.

-Both rings can roll up to 8% CDR
    -Amulet can roll up to 8% CDR
    -Vigilante belt can roll up to 8% CDR
    -Weapon can roll up to 10% CDR
    -Shoulder can roll up to 8% CDR
    -Gloves can roll up to 8% CDR
    -Shield can roll up to 10% CDR
    -Helm socket should have the diamond that gives 12.5% CDR

I don't know off the top of my head, how much CDR that all gives on the character sheet. I know that it won't translate into 80.5% CDR if you got perfect for all the slots, but I'm pretty sure that should get you 56% CDR on the character sheet.

Also you have gogok of swiftness, which can give 15% CDR fully stacked when it's at rank 25 (also one of the few gems that caps out, with the cap being rank 50 since that means every hit has a 100% chance to apply stacks). I don't recommend relying on it for permanent champion, aka use it as a stop gap but try to get to permanent champion without it. That said, it is a fairly solid gem from my experience. I had reservation about it sucking, but with stampede it works fairly well since one volley of horses can get one multiple stacks and having lower CDs on provoke, selected law and any other CDs is a godsend for wrath management.

If you're using a one hand that also opens up getting 15% CDR from the Fervor passive.

Obviously, RoRG makes hitting the permanent champion cap easier without having to rely on something like gogok since that means the player can craft two Crimson pieces (sadly one of these will be a belt, but 10% CDR that is guaranteed is much better than 8% and that isn't a guaranteed option with vigilante belt because you might have to reroll something other than the CDR on it), until a serviceable Leoric's Crown drops, which is better since that ends up being 21.875-25% CDR and you want CDR in big chunks because of how things get calculated.

Mill on
  • Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    Happy Thanksgiving Nephalem!

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    Finally bought it. Have a question, though.
    I remeber that in D2, certain classes weren't effective on later difficulties. Is it the case here?

Incorrect, fortunately. All classes perform extremely well at high difficulties. There's some that are more bonkers than others (cough Demon Hunters cough), but otherwise all classes are performing well. The current state of the game is that there's really only 1 viable build per class at the moment (some have 2, like Demon Hunter or Witch Doctor), but that will hopefully change in future patches.
    DH are not the most op class

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    I remeber that in D2, certain classes weren't effective on later difficulties. Is it the case here?

Incorrect, fortunately. All classes perform extremely well at high difficulties. There's some that are more bonkers than others (cough Demon Hunters cough), but otherwise all classes are performing well. The current state of the game is that there's really only 1 viable build per class at the moment (some have 2, like Demon Hunter or Witch Doctor), but that will hopefully change in future patches.

How are they not? They have the highest averaged Greater Rift rankings. Demon Hunters bottom out at 40. Wizards bottom out at 38, Crusaders bottom out at 37, Monks and WDs bottom out at 36, Barbarians bottom out at 35.

DHs can drop Sentries and run away while the Sentries murder everything. Extremely low risk for high payoff. And their damage output is looking pretty ridiculous even with the 2.1.2 changes.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    HexDex wrote: »
    Happy Thanksgiving Nephalem!

*yawns*

wait... who the hell are you?

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular

How are they not? They have the highest averaged Greater Rift rankings. Demon Hunters bottom out at 40. Wizards bottom out at 38, Crusaders bottom out at 37, Monks and WDs bottom out at 36, Barbarians bottom out at 35.

DHs can drop Sentries and run away while the Sentries murder everything. Extremely low risk for high payoff. And their damage output is looking pretty ridiculous even with the 2.1.2 changes.
    go check the ptr leaderboards

also your logic is pretty flawed re bottom rankings. I'm not going to explain in this thread again why you can't use leaderboards as a straight indication of class power

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    or even check the current leaderboards, which is pre DH nerf

where barb cleared 2 grifts higher than DH

another meaningless metric but you can read whatever you want into it

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options

go check the ptr leaderboards

also your logic is pretty flawed re bottom rankings. I'm not going to explain in this thread again why you can't use leaderboards as a straight indication of class power

I mean... you came in and made a blanket statement that "DHs are not the most op class" and then didn't providing any additional evidence to backup your claim.

If I'm wrong, please prove me otherwise, because until now I had been under the assumption that DHs were the most OP class currently. Unless you can explain why otherwise, I have no reason to believe why they aren't.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    I can't prove a negative

you asserted DH are the most op and backed it up with random leaderboard data

I'm saying that leaderboard data doesn't support your assertion

you need to defend the leaderboard data you cited as being representative of class power. and then we will have the conversation about how it's not, actually, and I'd rather not do that again

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Hey! I just picked up the PS4 version of this. If any of you folks play that (or the PS3 one?) add me on PSN! I'd love to see some more nemesis stuff. I'm noautomobilesgo.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    It's funny how many sound assets they reused from D2.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Dh's are the most OP class for grifts

raekor barbs seem to be the most powerful for everything else.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    bwanie wrote: »
    Dh's are the most OP class for grifts

raekor barbs seem to be the most powerful for everything else.
    I haven't checked the leaderboards or skimmed dfans looking for them in a while, but they've been even for grits for the longest time, the world record grift being within a level or two from each other. DH it's all about letting your sentries do the work and never getting hit, Barbs it's all about being super defensive and always charging to stun all enemies that aren't the guardian, then conduit pyloning the guardian.

Edit => Got curious after posting that. Spoiled a Grift 52 Barb vid below. Here's a link to DFans, assuming the DH didn't do the group exploit or pop a conduit, 50 is the highest solo DH I saw skimming the first few links Google gave me.

DPS wise I've never seen anyone post something showing a class that can keep up with DHs in the current live build, but maybe there's a Wiz spec out there that does with Firebirds and a Furnace or whatever class/build combo, they just can't grift as high so it's ultimately meaningless compared to DHs shooting for world records. Unless the guys hitting 50 or higher with DHs are using conduits now they were burning the guardian down via turrets.

Defense wise nothing compares to Barbs. They have too many % based damage reductions from skills and a legendary belt that couple with Raekor's movement speed, stunning ability, and infinite rage to be killed. Since your damage is garbage you just have to scout for a conduit pylon while being mindful of how close you are to spawning the guardian.

Both classes highlight how dumb grifts are if you want to take them even somewhat seriously, which is a shame, because it's still an idea that works well overall given the resources they currently have. Also leaves a lot of room for improvement in something like another expansion when they actually want to devote serious resources to the game again.

PTR's whatever too. Until it's live and released it's irrelevant because based on prior betas, PTRs, and direct statements from Blizz they end up changing things for live or post live release anyway. See RoS beta and statements about beta and then all the Crusader changes, drop rate changes, etc.

Column on
  • Options
    conduit hunting not taken into account

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, conduit pylons make this a bit tricky, since those seem to scale with grift lvl. Though the ladder has been up long enough, that I believe it's disingenuous to say that it doesn't reflect class balance well. Despite the existence of conduit pylons, solol Crusaders cap out at lvl 44, solo WDs cap out at lvl 43, solo Wizards at lvl 43 and solo monks cap out at lvl 43. Meanwhile, solo barbs cap out at 52 and solo DHs cap out at 50. I know the response is going to be but all of those are outliers that got there by getting the right maps, density, mob type, elite composition, not shitty RG and conduit pylons. Yes, and note how both Barbs and DHs are well ahead of everyone else. Also note that at this point, a dedicated player of a class, even one that might have used one of the more powerful grift capable classes to power rank gems, will have had plenty of opportunities to get the right grift setup. So Barbs and DHs have something going for them and I think Column did a good job highlighting it.

I agree that DH probably isn't the most OP because they are capping at 50. I think in a world without conduits, DH would probably be ahead of barb since they are less reliant on conduits to kill RGS and can thus getting further without conduits. Barb gets there with a combination of furious charge and conduit pylons. Since we have something called conduit pylons, Barb is probably the most OP because they have the best setup to live long enough to hunt for them and get further than other classes.

Now a more reasonable stance would be, that given how grift scaling works, to argue that the other four classes should be buffed up and neither barbs nor DHs should be nerfed. I mean it's not like Blizz needs to re-balance everything if they go that route, since grifts are suppose to have infinite scaling. Honestly, I'd rather see Blizz go this route myself because being nerfed sucks. On the other hand, I'd be willing to eat a nerf mid-expansion, if that is required to deal with the CHD mess, assuming it hit everyone and everything because I'd probably enjoy having a bit more leeway on stat choice.

For shits and giggles I took a peak at the party rankings. 4 player caps at 53, 3 player at 54 and 2 player at 51. Bit surprising in some ways, you'd think that being in parties would let people get much further if they are really making use of the buffs. On the other hand multiplayer makes unity useless. I do think Blizz has made grifting pretty fucking unfriendly with the nature of multiplayer games, but at this point I doubt that really has any bearing on top end stuff. Still makes me sad if I'm doing a grift and someone pops in because they usually can't join in.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    no date for the end of season 1 yet right? all I could find were assurances we'd know 30 days in advance.

I want to hit 70 with at least one seasonal character. my HC barb kills things so slow I had to actually give up some health to make him playable. 5 levels to go and they go really fast so I'll be bountying it up soon.

I watched kripparian playing diablo 2 and I came so so close to installing it but I figured I should just play the new one instead.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch