As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The wonderful Jan Hooks, gone at 57

AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whateverRegistered User regular
edited October 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
The death of Jan Hooks is incredibly sad to hear about this morning, and while the cause of her passing isn't public, it is assumed that she had been ill for some time. She was always one of my favorite SNL cast members, and had a real knack for playing the most ridiculous characters with a straight(ish) face.
jan-hooks-as-tammy-faye-1992-star-pics-snl-card-80_ac98176cb24d1ed126bcaef9ff9cbf70.jpg

Known for her many outrageous impressions and her unmistakable Georgia drawl, Hooks will be remembered as a key member of Lorne Michaels' renaissance period of SNL after he took the show back from Dick Ebersol's bland authorship in 1985. After starting at Groundlings, she made her debut in 1986 in a new cast that proved to be one of the most successful and popular in the show's history despite only featuring eight cast members (compare that to the 18 members in the most recent season). That original lineup was a who's who of SNL's best:

Dana Carvey
Nora Dunn
Phil Hartman
Jan Hooks
Victoria Jackson
Jon Lovitz
Dennis Miller
Kevin Nealon

She would leave the show eight seasons later, becoming a standout during a tenure that grew to include other future stars such as Adam Sandler, David Spade, Chris Farley, Tim Meadows, and Julia Sweeney. Some of her most famous impressions included Sinead O'Connor, Tammy Faye Bakker, and Hillary Clinton, the latter of which was always paired with Bill Clinton as done by Phil Hartman, one of Hooks' closest friends. Hooks most recently played recurring role of mother to Jane Krakowski's character on 30 Rock, with other SNL alums Tina Fey, Tracy Morgan, and Alec Baldwin. She was also the voice of Angleyne, one of Bender's many love interests on Futurama, as well as Manjula, the wife of Apu on The Simpsons. Her movie career never really took off, but her rare appearances, like in Tim Burton's Pee-Wee's Big Adventure and Batman Returns, were always memorable.

I leave you with a link to my favorite (unembeddable) sketch.

She will be missed.

Atomika on

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    This is terrible. Rip Jan.

Also maybe you could not use the term murderers row when referring to Phil Hartman.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    This is terrible. Rip Jan.

Also maybe you could not use the term murderers row when referring to Phil Hartman.

yeah, probably

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Aside from seeing syndicated reruns of the first 5 years that my parents watched, that 1986 to early/mid 90's era of SNL was where I was first introduced to the show and grew up watching, so I always considered it "my" era. So this news definitely hits me pretty hard. RIP.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    She was really really incredible.

"Look at him sittin' on that stool like he's doin' it a favor."

Awesome.

• Options
    KongoKongo Registered User regular
    On one of the women of SNL specials a couple years ago, Maya Rudolph identified that skit as her favorite. Alec Baldwin is also so perfect in it.