As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Spooktacular 2014: Player beware, you're in for a scare!

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
pCuyUjL.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLh0hj1eR20

Welcome, boils, ghouls, and the pest of you: it's that special time of the fear! Where all the kiddies dig up their favorite games of horror and play them all month long. Whether you're a fan of the Sony Slaystation or a digital service like Valve's Scream, there's plenty of ways to scare yourself silly. Don't have titles for yourself? Don't worry, my little fiend, as this time of the year a lot of classic horror games have their prices slashed so low that just about anyone can afford to coffin up the dough for something! Of course, for the timid of you, you can allow watch someone go for the high gore on places like BooTube or Twitch.tv's many screamers.

Ready, kiddies? Here's a list of ghoulish games and vile videos that to die for. If you have any rotten recommendations, then leave them here so other ghosters can take a stab at it. And remember: it isn't real...or is it? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

X2Jps3N.png

INlfVu8.jpg
They say you only need the bear necessities, but for the night-shift security guard at Freddy Fazbear's pizza, those could be the death of him. Watch the cameras to keep an eye on your automatonic assailants, but watch your power. Once you run out of juice, it's light out...for you!

d8t2XFm.jpg?1
They say there's nothing sweeter than a child's screams, but maybe that's just me. A terrified toddler goes searching for his loving mother, but the two of you will found out that home is where the horror is!

SznpBmL.jpg?1
Have you ever had a bad dream? Well Thomas can't stop having them! As you delve into this night terror unending, you'll see that poor Thomas wakes up only to be in yet another nightmare. What strange creatures and gruesome monsters lurk in the recesses of Thomas's mind? It's a sleep study you'll never forget!

oDNqNy4.jpg?1
This little teaser of terror comes from the twisted minds of Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro. Without giving away any spoilers, let's just say that you'll think twice before walking down a hallway again! And if this little spoonful of scares wasn't enough, then prepare yourself for the release of Silent Hill in the future!

gtTlmVQ.jpg?1
A new tale of digital dread arrives this Tuesday! From the horrific hands of Resident Evil's Shinji Mikami, this psychological profile in horror has all the makings of a crypt-worthy classic.

5i1jYSR.png

lvEFxAP.jpg?1
Every year, the Nerd plays a delightfully demonic game from ages long past, and reminds us that sometimes the most terrifying things about a game aren't the ghouls and monsters!

f133PJK.jpg?1
Looking for some good clean scares? The Happy Video Game Nerd will be more than, well, happy to introduce you to some classic haunts.

sqvf5gH.jpg?1
Want to watch a man brave the unspeakable horrors of the gaming world? Look nothing further than Scoops's adventures.

YL9WnCY.png

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    That Luigi music sort of makes me want to buy that game. That is some quality spookin' music.

BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Fucking LOVE me some HVGN. Outclasses the original, in my opinion, because he doesn't rely on terrible schtick and schlocky fangoria wankery.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    That Luigi music sort of makes me want to buy that game. That is some quality spookin' music.
    Dark Moon's soundtrack seems a little less good than the original, but the Brawl version is amazing.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Might just try to go with something more weird than outright horror this year, like Deadly Premonition or Gray Matter. Or failing that, could be an excuse to pick up Neverending Nightmare, as that's one I've been interested in for a while.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Deadly Premonition sounds like the ticket, I'm due to rewatch Twin Peaks soon

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    I'm going to be revisiting old horror games that haven't aged well, or ones that were just bad in general for new and older games. Gonna stream it, and call it "Spoopathon".

So far the list is

Alone in the Dark 1 2 and 3

Doom 3

7 Days

Anna

Cryostasis

I could maybe throw The Path on there for lols

Some other stuff I'm considering is

Dead Space, tho the PC port is busted?

F.E.A.R.

Slender

SCP Game whatever it's called

maybe Newsground games if I need some more stuff.

Anyone got suggestions?

• Options
    I forgot all about Alien Isolation. May add it to the OP.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Dead Space runs perfectly fine on PC. Just turn off VSync and use a controller.

Deadly Premonition isn't a scary game, but I'd still very much consider it horror. The visceral representation of the murders can be genuinely upsetting, and for all the goofy characters and dialogue, there are times when the mood shifts from lighthearted to unsettling so quickly you're left holding the controller and thinking "Oh god, what the hell just happened?"

• Options
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I'm going to be revisiting old horror games that haven't aged well, or ones that were just bad in general for new and older games. Gonna stream it, and call it "Spoopathon".

So far the list is

Alone in the Dark 1 2 and 3

Doom 3

7 Days

Anna

Cryostasis

I could maybe throw The Path on there for lols

Some other stuff I'm considering is

Dead Space, tho the PC port is busted?

F.E.A.R.

Slender

SCP Game whatever it's called

maybe Newsground games if I need some more stuff.

Anyone got suggestions?

Pathologic, if you want something that will probably crash and certainly not make a lick of sense.
    Cracking atmosphere, though.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    My wife hates horror, I think this gives me a fantastic excuse to scare myself silly with the Oculus Rift. I've installed Alien Isolation and am looking forward to putting on some headphones and diving in.

Any other recommendations for Rift compatible horror games? I hear Among the Sleep has Dev Kit 2 support incoming (hopefully for Halloween).

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Isolation has rift support?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Not officially but some clever people figured out how to enable the support they've been using to demo the Rift at recent expos.

It works VERY well. There are some bugs, such as being able to lean your face through a wall, and the frame rate takes a fairly massive hit but it's one of the first "big" games with good native (of a sort) VR.

Should anyone be interested:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/10/08/how-to-play-alien-isolation-with-oculus-rift

I am both excited and terrified.

• Options
    Indie Gala has a pretty spoopy bundle goin on right now https://indiegala.com/

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Why does everyone keep saying spoopy?

edit: Is it a SA style "gently caress" word replacement? Spooky.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    It's so spooky you pooped your pants, I assume.

• Options
    I totally forgot that Costume Quest 2 is out! The perfect game for those of you that want to get into the Halloween mood but are not big into scares.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Silence of the Sleep I've seen a lot of people stream, looks like a good horror adventure game. Psychological Silent Hillish theme to it.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    I remembered that neither my girlfriend or I have done the Dark Brotherhood quest in Skyrim, so that's become a possible candidate.
    I mean I usually just try to play Condemned 2 or something, but I'd like a year off from pure terror.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Throwing Siren: Blood Curse in the ring.

Only game I've ever been freaked out enough to have to take a break from. Loved it.

The part in question was
    episode three, where you have to get the little girl out of the demonic hospital.
    Too dang scurry.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    SH4 would be a nice mind screw.

• Options
    Throwing Siren: Blood Curse in the ring.

Only game I've ever been freaked out enough to have to take a break from. Loved it.

The part in question was
    episode three, where you have to get the little girl out of the demonic hospital.
    Too dang scurry.

That's an amazing game, I remember downloading the Japanese demo before hearing anything about it, I just liked the look of the icon. Everything was in Japanese and I had no idea what was going on. Turns out it being in English didn't help much!

That part you mentioned was terrifying, absolutely terrifying. The only thing I didn't really like about that game is the frame rate takes a bit of a hit during sight-jacking which put me off using it. It's also remarkably difficult to complete without a guide.

Or I'm just stupid.

• Options
    Is Blood Curse better than the original? I have all of the Siren games, but never finished them. It seemed like the gameplay was smoother.

• Options
    Eternal Darkness would be a good one.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Mantorok, Pargon, Spooky, Pargon, Pargon, Scary, Pargon.

PLA on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    I had typed up a post about Alien vs Predator (the 1999/2000 PC game) being free on GOG, but apparently I never hit post so it sat as a draft until the offer expired. So I guess I'm now using this post to say don't forget the older scary games? Quite a few on Steam/GOG, and while they may be ugly, graphics seem less important in this genre.

• Options
    Old graphics are pretty scary.

• Options
    Good Old Scares

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I dunno. I asked to sign up for GOG Galaxy and get a free copy of AVP2000 and they never emailed me.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    If you haven't played Isolation yet, it may be the scariest game I've ever played.

I'm going through The Evil Within now and it really isn't doing it for me. It may just be that Isolation ruined me for enemy AI but the scares are way too "ooga booga, I'm a scary monster acting predictably" and gore and guys and things popping out right after you go, "A thing or possibly a guy is going to pop out here."

Dogs jumping through windows and such.

• Options
    Dogs jumping through windows and such.
    Well this is a game by RE's papa.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Is Blood Curse better than the original? I have all of the Siren games, but never finished them. It seemed like the gameplay was smoother.

I never played the originals but I lurrrved Blood Curse. Like Grinch said, the framerate takes a hit in parts due to one of the mechanics, but by god does that game have some super, super unsettling parts. Probably the only game ever to really scare/unnerve me in the same way a good horror movie.

It does go way off the rails towards the end, but I liked that about it. The ending is complete fucking insanity and I wouldn't have it any other way. Minor final boss spoiler:
    I'm pretty sure that last boss fight is more or less what being on DMT is like. So I hear anyway.
    I would agree that a guide is worth using at points, as I sort of recall hitting a wall with a puzzle or two towards the end. I also had to resort to smarter people on this forum to figure out what the fuck was actually going on, which I also liked!

So yeah, go play it!

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    I'm going to start Spoopathon tomorrow!

Starting with the Alone in the Darks and if those don't take that long, Soulbringer!

Tomorrow!

5+ days of spoops. Adventure games, old school games, first person shooters, freeware stuff, something for everyone!

• Options
    James Rolfe didn't know about reaping?

• Options
    Okay, time to get started! Spoopathon woooOOOooooOOOoo (side note, reinstalling DooM 3 yesterday just made me want to play it, it's not good and definitely doesn't live up to the doom name but I like it.)

Day 1-

Alone in the Dark

Alone in the Dark 2

Alone in the Dark 3

Day 2-

Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi

Realm of the Haunting

Dephs of Fear: Knossis

Day 3-

Doom 3

Fear

System Shock 2

Day 4-

Anna

Lucius

Five Nights At Freddies

Day 5-

7 Days

Slender The Eight Pages

SCP Containment Breach

Newgrounds horror hunt

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Here's something a little different: Braindead 13. Anyone else remember it?

92043-Braindead_13_(CD-i)-1.jpg

It was one of those Dragon's Lair type games from the mid-90s where you had to input the right direction while watching FMV. As a game, it wasn't great since it didn't give you any idea what direction to input at any given time, and if I remember right you had to do one section twice in order to beat the game.

But as a piece of animation, it's loads of fun. The main character is Lance, a computer tech who gets called to fix the computer of the evil Dr. Nero Neurosis, a brain in a jar. But the real star is Fritz, the Doctor's henchman who is pretty much the Tazmanian Devil with heavy weaponry.

Naturally, the entire story is up on YouTube (part one of four, unfortunately):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV4lQ_LgsGE

But that run is missing something, namely: the death scenes. The many, MANY death scenes. 3040 minutes worth, in fact. I used to fire up the game and intentionally get myself killed just to see them -- they're ultra-violent and hilarious. Enjoy! (1 of 3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA4NREzWipI

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    I dunno. I asked to sign up for GOG Galaxy and get a free copy of AVP2000 and they never emailed me.

Check your email, I got mine today.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I have Brain Dead 13 for the Mac. Have to run a virtual session to play it.

The violence in it is highly jarring. It is like they took the violence from Dragon's Lair to the next level.

Heart of Darkness is another video game that goes to strange lengths with the violence.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Oh man, I remember all the Brain Dead 13 ads in GamePro. They pushed that game pretty hard seeing as how I still remember like 20 years later.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Oh man, I remember all the Brain Dead 13 ads in GamePro. They pushed that game pretty hard seeing as how I still remember like 20 years later.

They seemingly carpet-bombed ALL the game magazines for the better part of a year if I'm remembering right.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
This discussion has been closed.