As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRANS] thread, whatever

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Blake T wrote: »
    Has Lorde been taking about ducktales or something? Is that why people think she is 30?

Scandal just in. Lorde can hum the entirity of the he man theme tune.

This just in. Now in going to for the rest of the day.

I cannot, for the life of me, remember the he man theme song. Was there even a theme song?

All I remember is the funny feeling I got when prince Adam changed into a leather harness

It sort of had a theme song?

There was a background tune playing during the intro bit, with Adam explaining that he fights Skeletor by becoming a Magical Swole Man.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Has Lorde been taking about ducktales or something? Is that why people think she is 30?

I cannot, for the life of me, remember the he man theme song. Was there even a theme song?

All I remember is the funny feeling I got when prince Adam changed into a leather harness

http://youtu.be/IiUrTHYVLP8

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

There was a background tune playing during the intro bit with Adam Explaining that he fights Skeletor by becoming Magic Swole Man.

I used to have a huge crush on panthro, too.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yeA7a0uS3A

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus

It went kinda like

Bwahh bwah bah bah buh duh nuh nuh nuh

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    True story, when I was four I spent the majority of our running around in our garden dresses only in my underwear with a large plastic sword shoved down the back of them.

• Options

There was a background tune playing during the intro bit with Adam Explaining that he fights Skeletor by becoming Magic Swole Man.

Hmm. I think I found my "type"

Well when they're not beautiful androgynous people.

• Options

• Options

Oh god.

What about beautiful androgynous people in leather chest harnesses?

@Usagi‌ !

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I totally had a thing for She-Ra. I won't go into specifics or anything, but it's just funny because looking back I really had no idea what those feelings meant when it came to girls. There was no one to explain them to me.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

There's a version with the intro redone too.

http://youtu.be/FR7wOGyAzpw

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    welcome, thread

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    The best part about Adam/He-man's costume change is that, in the original version, all that changed was his outfit.

Which did not include adding anything above the neck.

Not even like, Clark Kent glasses or anything.

The 80s was a very previous time.

Goatmon on

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    also, interesting specificity note

one of the funny things about language is you start to question "what is it i am trying to convey?"

for example i originally wrote the sentence:
    "some people with vaginas get period cramps so fucking bad it's like someone walks up and hits them with a baseball bat in the innards every month on the regular"

as

"some women..." yadda yadda

and while that is still technically accurate (since some women do experience that, and not all women do), it's still language that's trans-exclusionary. it doesn't specifically imply that women are people with vaginas who experience periods (since it only says some women, erego any woman without a vagina would be as exempt as a woman with a vagina who doesn't experience such things), what it does do is exclude people with vaginas who are not women. and that's trans-exclusionary.

so, without even posting, without even really fully finishing the sentence, i narrowed my eyes, and changed "women" to "people with vaginas" because the point i was making in that statement was specifically to people with vaginas and can potentially apply to anyone with that anatomy regardless of their gender.

do i do this every time? nnnnnnnope

but i do it when it matters, i think, because conveyance is important

shitty people act like this is some great oppression upon them, like this is some kind of horrid form of policing or over-sensitivity. it's not. it's often just as much about being clear and correct in what you are saying.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Poly pansexual genderqueer here. <3

@ceres‌

tell me more

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    pimento wrote: »

There's a version with the intro redone too.

I opted against posting the full version, but by all means.

• Options
    She Ra was without doubt the better cartoon.

He man though had the better theme song.

And I just liked everyone's names.

• Options
    It's also inaccurate because in this case it's the uterus that's the problem, not the vagina.

• Options
    Dubh wrote: »

@ceres‌

tell me more

I will tell you all of the things. I could really go on.

• Options
    basically, I'm poly and ready to get my jollies

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    It's also inaccurate because in this case it's the uterus that's the problem, not the vagina.

also true!

correlative in that some people with vaginas also have uteri

but not all

• Options

@ceres‌

tell me more

Are you still single? Because I call dibs.

• Options
    I currently have three wonderful loves in my life. I am a very lucky person.

Also I am happy to make out with most people.

• Options

ceres‌

tell me more

mostly?

there's a few people I've been talking to, but no actual relationships being declared or whatever

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    shaved my beard earlier this week because i had to for a role

required me be clean shaven

and i hate it

it does not feel like my face

my own reflection feels off

my wife does not care for it either

i cannot regrow my beard fast enough

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Is the title something specific and I am not clever enough to get it?

Cause I don't.

metalbourne started a thread called obscenely clingy grey tights a while back

the OP was a picture of david bowe's junk from labyrinth

we tried to turn it into a trans/feminism thread but it was locked for lack of content

Tube must be some kind of size queen if he thinks bowie bulge "lacks content"

New favorite @Metalbourne‌ quote

• Options

ceres‌

tell me more

mostly?

there's a few people I've been talking to, but no actual relationships being declared or whatever

We should chat.

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    I saw the south park episode and laughed at Stan's reaction to the autotune thing, but not much else. Overall I was not impressed even a little bit.

• Options
    She Ra was without doubt the better cartoon.

He man though had the better theme song.

And I just liked everyone's names.

And the crossover movie that introduced She-Ra was one one of the most gloriously gay cartoons to ever air in the states.

It got away with some funny things that just would not fly nowadays.

As I said, the 80s was a very precious time.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular

Oh god.

What about beautiful androgynous people in leather chest harnesses?

@Usagi‌ !

SWOON

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

and i hate it

yo this is me

except it was because I have a stress habit of methodically tearing out hairs and the whole thing was super patchy

it looks so awful

how did I live 8 years of my 20s like this

• Options
    @Dubh‌ I forget where you live. Is it anywhere near Portland?

• Options
    Pony wrote: »

and i hate it

I have to shave soon because I'm going to do a Dracula thing for a YouTube video.

I'm not looking forward to the stubble aftermath.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus

@ceres‌

tell me more

Wait wait wait wait wait wait

• Options

Well I mean

She'd have to be 30 for that

It's not like we have a massive fucking collective of digital information and media that everyone can use to access stuff from the past.

Fucking duh

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Pro tip: if you don't want a thread to get closed for lack of content, name it Tube's Pants.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    there was a conversation that came up in another thread a while back

and it was about protagonists in video games, Mass Effect was used as the specific example

one person sorta playfully stated, not even necessarily seriously at first I don't think, that in their playthrough Shepard is trans

the person saying it is trans so i think that's like, a component here

and someone else was like "now hold on, that's going a bit far with head-canon type nonsense. Shepard isn't trans. There's nothing to suggest that Shepard is trans and you can't declare that Shepard is trans and there's really no dialogue options or anything in the game to support that, there's no dialogue options to tell people you're trans or anything like that. You can choose Shepard's sexual orientation, sure, but Shepard isn't trans."

I got involved, because I thought that was an incredibly odd and ignorant track to take. Like, it basically assumes that in lieu of any information to the contrary, a character is cisgender by default and the onus is on someone else to provide evidence to the contrary. Except Shepard is this like, highly malleable quantum protagonist that exists as a waveform that collapses based on choices the player makes, and how is this one any different?

"Well, there's no dialogue options to say you're trans!" this individual pointed out. True, but there's none to declare you're cis, either. It's not like, if you're playing DudeShep, you get a dialogue option with Ashley where you're all "Growing up as a young boy on Earth with my penis was very difficult...". Even when you pick actual background details like where Shepard grew up, that comes up very sparsely in the series and it doesn't really establish Shepard's assigned-sex-at-birth, if any. You see Shepard's gender now, and that's certainly who Shepard is, but that doesn't tell you a damn thing one way or the other about who Shepard was.

Assuming that means a character is then, ipso facto, cisgender means you're defaulting to it, which for a player-created protagonist I think is kinda troublesome? Especially when a person tries to argue with someone else that they're wrong about their Shepard being trans.

I mean, the setting presented in Mass Effect is this crazy space-future with incredibly advanced medical science and also an extremely egalitarian culture where a lot of medical procedures and surgery are kind of trivial and things like sexual bigotry seems non-existent (homophobia certainly doesn't seem to exist on any level in Mass Effect's future). So why should it be so strange to think that such a thing is possible? Especially for a trans player who really doesn't have any other way to have a protagonist in video games that reflects them, currently.

That was the attitude I took on this issue. Anyone else have thoughts on that?

• Options
    Dubh had the same argument about samus one time.

• Options

@ceres‌

tell me more

Wait wait wait wait wait wait

Oh I called dibs on you a while back hun

This discussion has been closed.