As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let Me Sing You The Songs of my People [Local History and Interesting Stuff] [NSF56K]

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I think it was in disuse at the time, but finding the missing bell was still important as it was the first bell dating back to when the school was started.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    OK, this gives me an excuse to learn more of the history of my new town (Salem, MA). I primarily just know some of the Witch Trial stuff, but there is a lot more to it!

Wasn't the Salem where Witchy stuff happened renamed Danvers?

So the place where all this started was Salem Village, which today is called Danvers. The trials and everything took place in the town of Salem, which was the county seat.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    OK, this gives me an excuse to learn more of the history of my new town (Salem, MA). I primarily just know some of the Witch Trial stuff, but there is a lot more to it!

Wasn't the Salem where Witchy stuff happened renamed Danvers?

So the place where all this started was Salem Village, which today is called Danvers. The trials and everything took place in the town of Salem, which was the county seat.

And now houses a Bewitched statue

Yknow

to commemorate hanging scared young women and children

yaaay

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I spent a few summers being the computer nerd for the historical society in my hometown and it was some of the most interesting work I've ever done. I got to scan old pictures, learn about archiving things, setup displays, and create their first web presence.

I'm at work now so linking pictures is difficult - some of the neatest history was from the granite quarrying industry that took over the island. We shipped out columns to cathedrals in New York and helped build the Brooklyn Bridge. It was especially neat because I got to help create materials that went down to the Cathedral (St. John the Divine) for use in the exhibit they had showing the journey of the granite columns.

Link to my hometown (not my home at the moment) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinalhaven,_Maine

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Oh, anoter interesting fact

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_v._Pepsico,_Inc.

Some of you may remeber this case, its the one where Pepsi promised a fighter jet to anyone who could earn 70 million pepsi points for those mail in promotions they used to do, not thinking that anyone would actually do it

It was a big ole' case

My mom was actually the one who recieved the mail in order that started that case!

OMG reading the wiki article for that case, they have several hilarious quotes from the judge presiding over the court:
    "The callow youth featured in the commercial is a highly improbable pilot, one who could barely be trusted with the keys to his parents' car, much less the prize aircraft of the United States Marine Corps."
    "The teenager's comment that flying a Harrier Jet to school 'sure beats the bus' evinces an improbably insouciant attitude toward the relative difficulty and danger of piloting a fighter plane in a residential area."
    "No school would provide landing space for a student's fighter jet, or condone the disruption the jet's use would cause."

The court also stated that:
    “ In light of the Harrier Jet's well-documented function in attacking and destroying surface and air targets, armed reconnaissance and air interdiction, and offensive and defensive anti-aircraft warfare, depiction of such a jet as a way to get to school in the morning is clearly not serious even if, as plaintiff contends, the jet is capable of being acquired 'in a form that eliminates [its] potential for military use.'[2]

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Snowbear wrote: »
    Chicago is hilariously obsessed with the fact that it was on fire that one time. It was one of the most notable things when I first moved here.
    Most of that pride stems from the fact that the community did turn a tragedy into a triumph by rebuilding and becoming one the biggest/most important cities in the States, culminating with beating new York for the privilege to host the Columbian Exposition just 20 years later

Oh for sure.

But the fact that it's the tragedy that gets celebrated is what makes me laugh.

It could be worse, they could monetize their tragedy like salem

I think the only reason Chicago isn't worse about this than Salem is that they have other things going for them as well

Like, they do monetize it to an extent, it's just not the only reason to visit Chicago, like witchcraft is with Salem
    Fair enough

As long as they don't out up a statue of the fire with a big smile and doing like a buddy Christ pose

Nah, they did this for the cops involved in the Haymarket massacre instead.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    9 hour double post!

went walking around the old mine shafts on the south coast today. I know absolutely nothing about the history here but the buildings and cliffs are cool.

14945785314_1ba0cf2d38_z.jpg

15380905730_30665342e8_z.jpg

15566529165_75e5a16eb9_z.jpg

you live near this?!

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Nothing interesting about toledo ohio really.

Well I mean. Jamie Farr is from toledo. He was on M*A*S*H*.

I guess there was a border dispute between Michigan and ohio over toledo (or really the terminus of the Maumee river. Useful for shipping.) in the 1800s.

Toledo is called the glass city because one of our first and largest industries was glass. Then there is the jeep plant which has been here since like ww2.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    That is actually a Chicago fact I'm pretty fond of, because I love all the weird dumb things this city does.

Alright, I'm going to assume that you are all at least passingly familiar with the Haymarket Affair/Riot/Massacre/whatever. Labor demonstrators at Haymarket Square in Chicago, a bomb thrown at cops by an unknown anarchist, several people shot and more hanged, part of the reason we celebrate Labor Day in September. All of that is pretty good history right there, and if you're not familiar with it, the wikipedia article is pretty extensive, so go check that out.

Anyways, three years after it happened, the city of Chicago erects a nine foot tall statue of a cop in its place.

OUqdQ09.jpg

And this statue has a great history.

It starts when a streetcar driver in the 1920s decided, on the anniversary of the Haymarket Affair, that he was sick of looking at the cop, and used the weapon he had at hand- his streetcar- to knock him over. The statue was restored and moved to a different location, and then eventually moved back to Haymarket Square area in the fifties. In the sixties, it started out with people just vandalizing the statue. It was a ripe time for anarchists, and the statue was a symbol of everything they hated, so, you know, cover it in paint. And then someone blew it up (probably the Weather Underground, who takes credit). So the city rebuilds it yet again, unveils it on the anniversary of the massacre, and it is blown up again within six months. This time after they rebuilt it, the statue got a 24 hour guard. Shortly after this, they decided to move it in to the courtyard of the Chicago Police Academy, because that's probably safer. The pedestal where it stood remained empty for several decades, but ten years ago they finally replaced it with a new sculpture commemorating the event, one that represented the union leaders who had been speaking at Haymarket, rather than the police that came to shut them down. It hasn't been blown up yet.

• Options
    In my town there is a road called Stickney Avenue.

Named for some figures from the town's early history.

Men by the names One Stickney and Two Stickney

• Options
    Concord, NH???

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    9 hour double post!

went walking around the old mine shafts on the south coast today. I know absolutely nothing about the history here but the buildings and cliffs are cool.

you live near this?!

Not NEAR near. But it's about 25km away, so nice-cycle-on-a-summer-day near.

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    9 hour double post!

you live near this?!

Not NEAR near. But it's about 25km away, so nice-cycle-on-a-summer-day near.

Incredible

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    In Texas around 1906 the governor was a man named James Hogg. Now, he was a well known man himself, but his choice in naming his daughter might be his longest legacy.

His daughter, Ima Hogg, is also known as "First Lady of Texas" due to her charity. When her father's oil speculation turned out to be true, she and her three siblings split the profits, with Ima using a large portion of hers to fund mental health facilities in Texas. She even donated the majority of her estate to the Ima Hogg Foundation (now shortened to the Hogg Foundation).

The story goes that there were actually two sisters, Ima Hogg and Ura Hogg, though in reality James "Big Jim" Hogg only had the one daughter.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Huh. Isn't Hogg one of those German names that started out with an umlaut (i.e. Högg) and then got Americanized to sound the same as the word for pig?

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    The area where I live was settled in the mid 1600s a lot of Scots immigrated to the area and set up shop.

literally. For a long while, Port Tobacco (now nothing but a tiny little neighborhood) was a very large trading port!

These relics would have passed through Port Tobacco before heading off to where I found them.

(except the button, it was dropped when Nanjemoy was raided)

These represent the entirety of my British finds and also my oldest finds!

This is a bag seal made during the reign of Queen Anne dating from between 1702 and 1714 the three in the upper left represents the tax levied.

I'm sure nothing will come of that though!

303223_10150362390833279_1003458422_n.jpg?oh=e1e8837ff0577ad9e83ec11904dc9cb8&oe=54B824FB

Queen Anne herself!

303223_10150362390933279_180273093_n.jpg?oh=7d7f00bbccb2e9286a37cfd7795f0b2c&oe=54AF58FE&__gda__=1424603237_aedb54168013223315ee0890c981a34b

The whole thing:

303223_10150362390983279_1998408549_n.jpg?oh=43a389a12a8a2248f113f1c9297d4825&oe=54AD7F9F&__gda__=1420694294_5539ff6e8240e6c781b378d1787511a9

This button came off the coat of a Captain or Commander in the Royal Navy during the American Revolution (our colonies now!).

314638_10150358086153279_267449732_n.jpg?oh=521437f4645ef7c7670035d225722dca&oe=54AD1CA9

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    tumblr_ndufym5EWw1s7e5k5o1_1280.jpg
    A restaurant owner puts up a sign during the New York blackout of July 13, 1977.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    So, there was a bell but then there wasn't, but there WAS a bell-sized lump in the roof where the bell used to be?

I don't feel like they looked very hard for the bell.

There was a bell here. It's gone now.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    according to a site called "credit donkey" my hometown is the happiest city in Illinois, so suck on that...other cities in illinois

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    og3gavx6r3n6.jpg

I stumbled across the remains of an old chapel today, from 1790 but originally 1699 which I thought was pretty cool. Considering I'm about two miles from the city centre I thought that was cool that its still hidden and remaining.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Did you consecrate it with the blood of an infant of the name of your dark lord?

• Options
    I did!

The portal to the Other Side is open. Join me, children.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    This is what we miss by not having a few thousand years of major architecture and upheaval.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    I did!

Hmmm I dunno

what kind of holiday leave do we get

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    You know, you could get suddenly castle in America if you put your minds to it and built some.

• Options
    Fyndir wrote: »
    You know, you could get suddenly castle in America if you put your minds to it and built some.

Wasn't there a guy in Florida who did that?

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    There was a chemistry teacher who built one with the help of his students, but I can't remember any of the details.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Solar wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    I did!

Hmmm I dunno

what kind of holiday leave do we get

Every day is (like) a holiday in the Land Of The Eternal Dammed!!

• Options
    -sigh-

I have got to get to England one day

all the beautiful ruins! I could walk around there for years.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa does not have many great claims to fame, but one of them is that it happens to contain the oldest standing mosque in North America, the Mother Mosque of America.

640px-Mother_Mosque_of_America_Cedar_Rapids_IA_pic3.JPG

It's not very big, and it was actually the second mosque built in North America, but the first one was torn down in the 1970s.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    When I was living with my dad in Auburn CA he got really into the local history there.

So there's two parts of Auburn, Old Town which is down a mountain side a bit and where they filled parts of Phenomenon (the Travolta movie), and the later the when the city council bought the Masonic hall for the use as the city hall, they build another hall which is now downtown Auburn.

Anyway, there's a gentleman's club there (nothing stripper related, just a men's only bar that didn't have their first female visitor till about 30 years ago and still have no female members) that used to be the place where all the men/miners would hang out (Auburn kinda started as a mining community). But well, their wives didn't like them drinking and coming home drunk so they managed to convince the Tahoe Club (the establishment) to not serve alcohol.

However the women forgot something... These men were miners. They litterally dug a tunnel from the club downtown yo old town where all the bars were located (and further away from their wives).

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    This is kind of fascinating to me.

Early 80's war games / planning for nuclear attack on the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29804446

Especially this part.
    Planning the war game, one civil servant tried to imagine how law and order would be maintained. Jane Hogg, a scientific officer in the Home Office, envisaged the police would be busy helping "inadequate" people in disaster-struck areas, and suggested that another group could be recruited to help keep order.

"It is... generally accepted that around 1% of the population are psychopaths," she wrote.

"These are the people who could be expected to show no psychological effects in the communities which have suffered the severest losses."

Hogg suggested psychopaths would be "very good in crises" as "they have no feelings for others, nor moral code, and tend to be very intelligent and logical".

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Blimey

• Options
    PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    Speaking of castles in the US, this one was right up the road from my old hometown. Drove by many times but never did stop. Sad to hear it is closed now - article mentions a new owner with plans to restore the castle and reopen for tours in two years, but that was the last update from 2006.

Bull Run Castle.

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Then there's the Mansion in Borderland State Park in Easton, Massachusetts. It was built and owned by the Ames family who made their fortune selling shovels and eventually handed over to the State when the family matriarch died.

borderland2.jpg

Very pretty state park, but, interestingly has a highly rated Frisbee Golf course:

4866.png

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dcr/massparks/region-south/borderland-state-park.html

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Woo history!

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Then there's the Mansion in Borderland State Park in Easton, Massachusetts. It was built and owned by the Ames family who made their fortune selling shovels and eventually handed over to the State when the family matriarch died.

borderland2.jpg

Very pretty state park, but, interestingly has a highly rated Frisbee Golf course:

4866.png

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dcr/massparks/region-south/borderland-state-park.html

You should take advantage of that course. Disk golf is fun and extremely cheap to play.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    The only drawback being that you have to tell other people you're going frolfing.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    This is a really well-made podcast for those of you interested in German history