As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go find the new [Star Citizen] thread

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited December 2016 in Games and Technology
Penny Arcade Fleet Spreadsheet (Top Secret)

http://share.gifyoutube.com/KrWR38.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=t1Zc2oxijVY
(Be sure to watch the full length trailer)

starcitizenlogo.jpg

Star Citizen is Chris Roberts' new game. Chris Roberts is the guy behind Wing Commander and Starlancer. He left years before Freelancer came out so don't blame that shit on him. It's totally self-published and it's doing the whole crowdfunding thing, but he's skipping Kickstarter. He'll just ask for money straight up from people. He also has normal investors.

The game is running on a modified version of the CryEngine. It looks fucking awesome. This is a one hour presentation he gave at GDC where Chris Roberts talks about the game, shows off gameplay, and makes your panties wet with desire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vhRQPhL1YU

Star Citizen is a space sim. You'll fly around in spaceships shooting space laser at space aliens in space. There's a persistent multiplayer universe that generates instanced battles for 60-100 players, and there's also an offline mode if you want to play single player or coop. If you want to play in the persistent universe though, you can be an explorer or maybe a trader and stuff like that. You can buy a big ship with turrets and friends can man the turrets. For example:
The persistent universe, Roberts tells me, will feature instanced combat scenarios with 60 to 100 players. It will also have a fully simulated economy, and regular updates to add content and permanently change the spacescape. Additionally, players will influence the universe with a ship and item marketplace similar to that in Team Fortress 2, as well as with in-game actions.
The single player campaign is called "Squadron 42" and it will basically be like Wing Commander, except with coop.

The universe is inspired by Ancient Rome and the single player campaign is inspired by the fall of Ancient Rome. The game is called Star Citizen because "citizenship" is going to be an important characteristic: you can choose to be a citizen of the empire if you want, or you can be a pirate or whatever. One way to earn citizenship is to join the military; another is to buy it.

The game will be open to modding, and it will let you run your own private servers (like Freelancer, actually). He wants to keep constantly updating the game, though (he sees it as closer to a TV series, with a constant series of updates, rather than a movie). And sometimes they won't tell players when they add new content, like a new star system, which means that a player can be flying around, scout the new star system, and then sell the information in their nav system to one of the big corporations. Then the star system is named after you. KICKASS.

sc_4.jpg

More Information

TychoCelchuuu on

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I need to recreate the formula for the New Thread Smell and sell it as an air freshener cause it's goddamn delicious.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    deathsanideathsani Registered User regular
    So this is what a new thread is like...I can see why we switched.

• Options
    deathsanideathsani Registered User regular
    Additional, I just realized that we will be able to have kickass gunfights on the muck-futhering outside of a derelict Bengal. Or a functional one for that matter, it doesn't matter because either way it will be among the coolest things I have ever done in a game.

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Are you going to play Space Hulk inside a Bengal? Actually that sounds awesome.

Just saw that the site tracks total money spent. If I spent it all at once in the beginning and didn't use it for gifting and whatnot I could've just bought a Constellation package.

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Push left pedal, ship yaws left or right? What do you guys think?

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I hope we'll be able to mask our signatures by flying extremely close to another ship. Depending on how accurate it is I guess.

If it's something like "each ship gives off an individual signal that is heightened or dampened in range by the equipment it has on it" than no go, but if it's something like "each ship emits a certain amount of radiation/energy based on equipment" than that would be awesome. A small group of ships flying in a super tight cluster might put off enough of a signal to fool people out of visual range into thinking it was a much larger ship.

Alternately, that lone Constellation you just picked up on your screen looks pretty juicy until you realize it has four fighters flying in formation just a few feet from the bottom of its hull.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »

Left.

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular

Whatever feels natural to you, man. Don't let anyone tell you you're wrong.
    You're beautiful just the way you are.

• Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular

I dunno, I kind of think of pedals a bit like side specific brakes, which I know is wrong, but I've internalized it that way, so when I press a left pedal, I think, 'My left side is now slower than my right side,' and the means that I start turning left, so I say make the left pedal go left.

Left.

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    New thread seems like a good point to pop in and say hi!
    I am Viking_PA in this, how do I go about adding my fleet of shame to the spreadsheet?

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Shame for the shame fleet!

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    I am Viking_PA in this, how do I go about adding my fleet of shame to the spreadsheet?

Manual data entry, mostly.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular

On planes (or at least the Cessna 150 I used to fly) it was left makes you go left, right makes you go right, but of course this is a future space ship and doesn't have to conform to reality.

• Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular

Hi person!

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I'm silly. Welcome.

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

When I push on the left pedal I have it make my ship go to the right because it just makes more sense to me that way cause that's how steering wheels work. The side going down is the direction the ship/car/whatever is turning.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

When I push on the left pedal I have it make my ship go to the right because it just makes more sense to me that way cause that's how steering wheels work. The side going down is the direction the ship/car/whatever is turning.

By your own logic, it would have to go left, not right?

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »

Not if the pedals power your port thrusters, pushing your ship's orientation to the right.

Pretty much entirely a matter of perception; both ways can easily be justified on a spaceship.

• Options
    Kashaar wrote: »

How so?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

I... what kind of steering wheels are you using?

When I turn the right side of my wheel down the car goes to the right.

*edit*
    Actually rereading this those two sentences aren't even consistent.

"When I push on the left pedal I have it make my ship go to the right"
    "The side going down is the direction the ship/car/whatever is turning."

You are trying to drive me mad

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    It depends how the pedals are set up. If they're like two separate gas pedals, then yes, what he said doesn't make sense. However, if the pedals act more like a steering wheel, where if you push one forward(pushing up on that side of the steering wheel) the other one comes back toward you(down), then it makes sense.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    That still sounds like he's trying to break our minds.

• Options
    Somebody linked this on the forums and gushed over how it wasn't over-sexualized. I had a good laugh at that, but I still do like the artwork. I will say that I don't think she'd be able to break her ankles in those high heels - those things are robust! Still, for a basic space suit the gear is pretty cool.

spacegirl_wip_by_selworks-d6hnzji.jpg

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    Heels, and highlighted erogenous zones. /facepalm

I don't care how many greebles and glowing lights are stuck on, it's terrible.

• Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Why is she on stilts?

The official forums are a great place to go to see neck-beard sexism in action. Coincidentally, the official forums are also an excellent place to go to add to my "pirate this guy" list.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    edited October 2014

*edit*

If you push on a pedal with you're foot it's the same as lifting it up as if it were a wheel.

I have zero idea what's so fucking mysterious about my post you guys aren't getting.
    Syngyne wrote: »
    However, if the pedals act more like a steering wheel, where if you push one forward(pushing up on that side of the steering wheel) the other one comes back toward you(down), then it makes sense.

Which is exactly how PC flight sim pedals work.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options

*edit*

We just said the exact same thing.

This might be my inexperience with cars showing, but... when you step on a pedal, that means pushing it down, right? So when you step on the left pedal, shouldn't you be going left?

• Options
    OrickOrick Registered User regular
    When u press left pedal, it better turn left. Otherwise, if it turns right, and you are turning way too fast, the inertial will press you against the left pedal even harder and you won't ever get out of that turn.

I would like my title to be spaceship ergonomics engineer please.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Holy shit, it's like they took all the ergonomic disadvantages of high heels and put them into an ugly looking boot that doesn't even look nice. For when you just fucking have to make your legs look sexy, in the middle of space, even if it's going to fuck up your legs and there's no way, Carl Gonzalez (the artist who did that) is your man. Although honestly that's a little restrained compared to some of his other stuff. I'm not holding out a ton of hope that Star Citizen is going to be anything other than bullshit in this department, because we've already seen some concept art and concept renders that aren't very good, but I hope we at least get to avoid high heels...

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    To clear up this confusion, I have created helpful diagrams for left turning right and left turning left.
    s11fsi5rrax9.png
    You can see in the above how pushing on the left pedal maps to a steering wheel.
    94h50po9l20w.png

The above, here, is how I think most old planes and kayaks are set up, where pushing on the pedal pulls a string that causes a rudder to turn.

As mentioned before, however, the pedals could correspond to increased/decreased thrust on one or both sides so other than space ergonomics it could work either way.

• Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm not holding out a ton of hope that Star Citizen is going to be anything other than bullshit in this department, because we've already seen some concept art and concept renders that aren't very good, but I hope we at least get to avoid high heels...

Dudes are going to demand that their female characters have space-bikinis and space-heels to look sexy, you know this kind of stuff is going to be all over the cash shop. I hope that they keep some basically unisex flightsuit and uniform options, but you know how video games always go. :sad:

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    Why is she on stilts?

The official forums are a great place to go to see neck-beard sexism in action. Coincidentally, the official forums are also an excellent place to go to add to my "pirate this guy" list.

I agree with you and @Zerocz‌. Is that list...open source? That would be a fun super top secret spreadsheet.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    All this pedal talk reminds me of when people argue whether or not they invert their Y axis in FPS games.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »
    All this pedal talk reminds me of when people argue whether or not they invert their Y axis in FPS games.

But this is totally different! This is about the X axis! :D

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Holy shit, it's like they took all the ergonomic disadvantages of high heels and put them into an ugly looking boot that doesn't even look nice. For when you just fucking have to make your legs look sexy, in the middle of space, even if it's going to fuck up your legs and there's no way, Carl Gonzalez (the artist who did that) is your man. Although honestly that's a little restrained compared to some of his other stuff. I'm not holding out a ton of hope that Star Citizen is going to be anything other than bullshit in this department, because we've already seen some concept art and concept renders that aren't very good, but I hope we at least get to avoid high heels...
    That image Fuselage linked isn't a Star Citizen asset so we can always hope. Personally, I'd like to see a more mature theme that doesn't overuse tits and skin tight suits. The early concept art for female characters was quite refreshing. For comparison with the image above.
    SC_FEMALE-EXPLORER_001_RM.JPG
    Femexplorer.jpg

For the record I'd don't mind sexiness in my games. I just want to see variety when females are represented. Not every game needs underboob and thongs.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    edited October 2014
    If you missed it in today's ATV, the 325a will be flyable in AC starting tomorrow!

And I want to know what ship that art sneak peek at the end was from. Retaliator? Hm.

Kashaar on

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2014
    Just for the record: It is sexist when a guy decides that is approp attire for a woman. Considering how male dominated the games industry is, that is usually the case.

It isn't sexist if a woman decides that is approp attire. (I actually know women who would think thit outfit is awesome.) Considering how male dominated the games industry is, this is almost never the case.

One of the usual justifications is that the character made the choice, which makes me roll my eyes hard enough to cause a sprain. The obvious response is thst the artists made the choice.

Edit: still trying to figure out those boots.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    Hell, the outfit would have not even been too bad if weren't for the high heels and the suit literally going up her crack. If those heels were normal boots and the fabric around the butt stretched over and not into the her crack the design would still be sexualized, but would have looked like a futuristic/fancy version of the MIT Bio Suit, which is a real design:

main-qimg-a12f12b1212c1212b1212d12121212121212cdbfd0b1212f1212[img][/img]

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I wish there could be one video game thread on the PA forums that didn't devolve into a sexism in games thread.

You guys are getting steamed up over concept art that will probably never become a playable model.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I thought it was third party art from the forums, not sc concept art.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
This discussion has been closed.