As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go find the new [Star Citizen] thread

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Is it still the case that you have to fly over to the station to try out the combat, or is there a respawn mechanism there?

I'm surprised they haven't released an easier way to test out the FPS stuff if not.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Is it still the case that you have to fly over to the station to try out the combat, or is there a respawn mechanism there?

I'm surprised they haven't released an easier way to test out the FPS stuff if not.

I think the FPS stuff is being worked on. I'm expecting a fuller FPS possibly sometime this fall

Although I also expect the Squadron 42 release is going to come at mid 2017 at the earliest because lol release dates

• Options
    Fuzzy ModemFuzzy Modem Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Campy wrote: »

Cant' respawn at the Security Station. Scuttlebutt says there will be a pirate base soon.

[edit]
    I rather like it at present though. Makes death meaningful.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    The annoying thing is the FPS module was delayed because of the animations. I'm not sure what possessed Chris Roberts to go with an ARMA style FPS element, but it was a pretty bad decision. It also makes running around in first person truly awful.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    The annoying thing is the FPS module was delayed because of the animations. I'm not sure what possessed Chris Roberts to go with an ARMA style FPS element, but it was a pretty bad decision. It also makes running around in first person truly awful.
    I'm pretty sure at some point Chris Roberts changed his mind and instead of making the next Wing Commander he decided to simulate an entire universe at approximately 1:1 fidelity, which requires things like not fudging the first person/third person animations, but rather having everything you see in first person be a thing that your character is doing in third person. Of course, basically no FPS does that because it's clunky as fuck, but like, whatever.

• Options
    BobbyrrrrBobbyrrrr Registered User regular
    ARMA style FPS? Can't wait for the mod to come out that's the universe filled with zombies.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure at some point Chris Roberts changed his mind and instead of making the next Wing Commander he decided to simulate an entire universe at approximately 1:1 fidelity, which requires things like not fudging the first person/third person animations, but rather having everything you see in first person be a thing that your character is doing in third person. Of course, basically no FPS does that because it's clunky as fuck, but like, whatever.

It's worse for it because first person handles like a god damn drunk

But meh I didn't put money into Star Citizen for an FPS anyways

• Options
    It's worth mentioning that I have yet to score a kill outside the cockpit, despite about a dozen gun battles so far. Then again, I am historically far, far better at space combat sims than first person shooters. I also own all the guns and armor now so maybe I should give it another shot.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

Can we identify the moment Derek Smart replaced Chris Roberts and assumed his identity?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options

I'm not interested in the FPS element either, but you still have to walk around in your ships, on planets and in stations. I'm not sure how they're going to fix this thing but I'm hoping they just scrap it and adopt something more traditional.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I'm not interested in the FPS element either, but you still have to walk around in your ships, on planets and in stations. I'm not sure how they're going to fix this thing but I'm hoping they just scrap it and adopt something more traditional.

Heh...I'm in the exact opposite boat: having the game be an FPS where you're a guy piloting a ship is exactly what I've been wanting since 1994 (as opposed to being a ship with a model of some guy wiggling the flight stick around).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Allow me to clarify. I want there to be an FPS element because running around on your ship is fucking metal. I just don't want ARMA in space is all.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

how are you defining ARMA style?

• Options
    Allow me to clarify. I want there to be an FPS element because running around on your ship is fucking metal. I just don't want ARMA in space is all.
    Tube wrote: »

Realism to the point of frustrating/boring I'd guess.

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular

Following your squad leader around for the better part of an hour without firing a shot and then getting killed from 500m away.

Still a great game.

• Options

I've been told the animation style they're going for is pretty close to ARMA, which is supposed to have realistic movement. Looking at videos of the game I feel that's an accurate comparison. I would prefer movement like you would find Deus Ex or just about any other standard shooter.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

I've been told the animation style they're going for is pretty close to ARMA, which is supposed to have realistic movement. Looking at videos of the game I feel that's an accurate comparison. I would prefer movement like you would find Deus Ex or just about any other standard shooter.

Problem is, that sort of animation looks like crap when somebody else is looking at you. In a singleplayer game like Deus Ex, player animations can be pretty dang minimal because you never see yourself, just NPCs. And the NPCs necessarily have limited actions they can do, because they can't do everything the player can. And even on the multiplayer side, player animations for the vast majority of shooters are relatively limited because the gameplay is mostly just holding different guns and shooting at each other.

On the other hand, ARMA-style animation provides a shitload of info to anybody watching anybody else. You can tell if somebody is reloading, aiming down sights, doing stuff with their inventory, treating injuries, or even just looking in somewhere other than where their body is facing. It adds hugely to the immersion, because you can use in-game visual cues that are like real visual cues. It's so good for providing info that people will tell you off if you have a weapon shoulder and pointed in front of you when there's no threat around, because they don't want to accidentally get shot and there's an obvious visual difference between the two modes.

Given that SC is incorporating a universe which is hugely about more than just being an FPS game while on foot, I've got zero gripes about holding off on the FPS stuff until the animations are good. First off, SC is a space sim, so the FPS side is just a sweet bonus. Second, I really really don't want to be running around with a ton of other players who have "walk around without gun" mode, and then "walking around with gun" mode, with the two being wildly different ways to interact with the world just to make the FPS part simple enough to easily shoot each other. By leaning towards a realistic system, there won't be an animation or gameplay disconnect between, say, quickly trying to load crates on a ship by hand, then having to pull out a pistol and duck behind your crates because somebody is coming after you on the dock.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options

Problem is, that sort of animation looks like crap when somebody else is looking at you. In a singleplayer game like Deus Ex, player animations can be pretty dang minimal because you never see yourself, just NPCs. And the NPCs necessarily have limited actions they can do, because they can't do everything the player can. And even on the multiplayer side, player animations for the vast majority of shooters are relatively limited because the gameplay is mostly just holding different guns and shooting at each other.

On the other hand, ARMA-style animation provides a shitload of info to anybody watching anybody else. You can tell if somebody is reloading, aiming down sights, doing stuff with their inventory, treating injuries, or even just looking in somewhere other than where their body is facing. It adds hugely to the immersion, because you can use in-game visual cues that are like real visual cues.

Given that SC is incorporating a universe which is hugely about more than just being an FPS game while on foot, I've got zero gripes about holding off on the FPS stuff until the animations are good. First off, SC is a space sim, so the FPS side is just a sweet bonus. Second, I really really don't want to be running around with a ton of other players who have "walk around without gun" animation, and then "walking around with gun" animation. By leaning towards a realistic system, there won't be an animation or gameplay disconnect between, say, quickly trying to load crates on a ship by hand, then having to pull out a pistol and duck behind your crates because somebody is coming after you on the dock. And there won't be a barrier between the rest of the game world and an FPS "mode", just to get people to look convincing doing anything but fighting and then also look okay when fighting.

Adding my personal observations of the more simplified player movement that we see in most other mainstream FPS games: one of the most frustrating things that bugs me about playing Battlefield 3, 4, Hardline, or, literally every other non-ARMA competitive FPS game is being killed by somebody who's model shows them not even looking at me, but rather have a 30-45 degree angle away from me. Bear in mind, I've mostly seen this in Battlefield (even on the high tickrate servers)...but actually knowing where an enemy is looking is immensely valuable.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Dragonfly has no life support. Flight time will be dependent on your space suit. 15-35 minutes.

• Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    The new AtV episode is out, and as a result of changing the format there is some awesome segments in there.

Preview of new pirate station (if timestamp doesn't work, starts at ~15:40):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpalZlE4FC8&feature=youtu.be&t=15m49s
    (stay for the audio presentation, he flies you through most of the station showing of the background audio)

Bengal Ship Shape (if timestamp doesn't work, starts at ~26:00):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpalZlE4FC8&feature=youtu.be&t=26m00s

Gokerz on
    causality.png
  • Options
    By the way, if anybody has been on the fence about the game (in its current state) and is hesitant to plunk down money to try things out, there's another Free Flight Week going on. Might be a decent time to dust off that joystick (or be one of them Freelancer-style mouse flight abominations): https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/Summer-Free-Fly-2016

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    Have they implemented a complete, survivable, gameplay loop yet? Last I checked, gameplay consisted of: spawn, run to console, run to ship, fly to a point of interest, get killed, respawn and repeat.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Spaceman showed up

LG7iBAO.jpg

For some reason I thought it would be smaller.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Star Citizen now has two factor authentication: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15414-Two-Step-Authentication-Has-Landed

Kinda cool that you don't have to have the Star Citizen app, you can use Google Authenticator/Authy/Microsoft Authenticator too

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Hopped in a couple days ago and holy crap there are things to do. I have no idea how to do them, but they're there! Repair satellites! Research some gas cloud thing! Awesome! But where do I go?

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    So has the Reclaimer ever made it to hangar ready yet?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    So has the Reclaimer ever made it to hangar ready yet?

Not yet. The last two ships they have hangar ready are the Redeemer and the Reliant. The Ship Matrix on their site lists whether a given ship is "Flight Ready," "Hangar Ready," "Announced," "In Concept," or "In Development". Personally, I'm dying to see the Endeavor be in a "Hangar Ready" state.

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    *cough* Merchantman *cough*

Still waiting...

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Kashaar wrote: »
    *cough* Merchantman *cough*

Still waiting...

You just gotta convince them that they need to add the MM to Squadron 42 Episode 1 and they'll fast track it.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Bought my ticket for the SC event at Gamescom, since I'm there (at GC/GDCE) anyways.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Looks like Derek Smart and his merry little band of alt-right dipshits managed to chase Sandi Gardiner off social media. I knew these scumbags had harassed her in the past, I just didn't know they were still doing it. Fuck these guys.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4x9j1z/sandis_twitter_due_to_ongoing_online_targeted/

• Options
    Somebody mail Sandi Gardiner a miniature coca cola machine she can wear around her neck as a pendant to ward off Derek Smart.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Who is Derek smart? I feel like I'm probably better off for not knowing.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

You are. I'm amazed he's even still around.

• Options

Derek Smart is an old game dev from the 90s who made some incredibly buggy space sims (the Battlecruiser series) whose hobbies used to include literally searching usenet and the early internet for his own name and then joining whatever conversation to troll everyone involved (hence the old joke about saying his name three times makes him appear).

He insults anyone who implies that his games are not perfect, and basically lives in his own fantasy land separate from our reality.

He also once got into a serious physical altercation with a Coca-Cola machine in an Electronic Arts building.

He's going on some sort of mega-crusade against Star Citizen because he hates Chris Roberts (due to the Wing Commander series doing significantly better than Battlecruiser) and he hates Star Citizen (because he is envious of all of the funding it has gotten, meanwhile his game Line of Defense is a buggy, broken mess that literally no one plays. Steamstats shows that the servers are empty pretty much 24/7). He is convinced that the entire project is a giant scam and he has decided that he is going to be the ONE MAN to unveil the conspiracy and bring the whole thing toppling down.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Awww, you left out the part where he has repeatedly lied outright and fabricated "evidence" to show that SC is a scam as well, and been shot down and exposed every time.

That's my favorite bit.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    When they put in persistence in the hangars and change the way you load in ships, is it still possible to put all of your ships in the hangar in extra rooms left and right or are you now limited to the one bay and you have to swap ships in and out?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    But like, how can SC be a scam when we have a playable alpha? I just don't get this kind of shit.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    But like, how can SC be a scam when we have a playable alpha? I just don't get this kind of shit.

Well, I don't think SC is a scam, but that's not a compelling argument unless the playable alpha already delivers everything promised for the final product. If they announced that they were completely dropping the Squadron 42 single player game and refused to issue refunds, that would be pretty scammy. I feel like there are plenty of failed crowdfunds where the team was able to release something, but fell far short of their promises. The scam-o-meter rating depends mostly on how much the fundee intentionally misrepresents the final product, not just rising above the minimum bar of "nothing at all."

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Derek Smart and logic aren't exactly bosom buddies.

This discussion has been closed.