As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go find the new [Star Citizen] thread

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I thought it was third party art from the forums, not sc concept art.

Even more reason not to delve into worrying about whether or not a game that is years away and features exactly one playable character right now will be "sexist" or not.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »
    If you missed it in today's ATV, the 325a will be flyable in AC starting tomorrow!

And I want to know what ship that art sneak peek at the end was from. Retaliator? Hm.

Mustang probably

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I would like to think of it more as dicussing what we would and would not like to see in the game.

Going by the cutlass commercial, just shy of form fitting seems to be an option, but that arguably wasn't a space suit.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    OrickOrick Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Maybe those are not high heels / boots. Maybe those are prosthetics / bionic augmentations / artificial limbs ?

Cause that's the only way I can see some one can walk in those.

Orick on
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    I wish there could be one video game thread on the PA forums that didn't devolve into a sexism in games thread.

And I wish there were less reason to talk about sexism in games ;-) But since it's everywhere and frankly pretty ridiculous, it needs to be called out.

Thankfully though, Star Citizen seems to be heading in a good direction there.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Taranis wrote: »
    If you missed it in today's ATV, the 325a will be flyable in AC starting tomorrow!

And I want to know what ship that art sneak peek at the end was from. Retaliator? Hm.

Mustang probably

It looked much too roomy for the Mustang... the circular ladder shaft looks familiar from the Mustang concept previews, but the ship itself is way too small to house that. Scott Manley has a video of the Mustang in the hangar... its interior is a lot smaller than the Aurora's.
    Maybe it's a variant for the Redeemer? ;) Haven't seen that one in a while.

Anyway, I love the "Danger! Keep away!" signs on the panel next to the couch with snuggly pillows.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular

Mustang probably

It looked much too roomy for the Mustang... the circular ladder shaft looks familiar from the Mustang concept previews, but the ship itself is way too small to house that. Scott Manley has a video of the Mustang in the hangar... its interior is a lot smaller than the Aurora's.
    Maybe it's a variant for the Redeemer? ;) Haven't seen that one in a while.

Anyway, I love the "Danger! Keep away!" signs on the panel next to the couch with snuggly pillows.

The Mustang variants are likely named after Greek letters, hence the Beta 3. Also the Mustang is supposed to get a camper module.

Also, was the video of an AMD Omega? I wouldn't think the racer variant would have living quarters.

Then there's the ladder and EVA shaft like you mentioned.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    I wish there could be one video game thread on the PA forums that didn't devolve into a sexism in games thread.

And I wish there were less reason to talk about sexism in games ;-) But since it's everywhere and frankly pretty ridiculous, it needs to be called out.

There is literally nothing to call out about the actual game right now. Right now there is one male character and a handful of metal spaceships. If you want to talk about sexism in gaming maybe take it to a thread for a game that actually has sexism in it.

Stop desperately searching for something to get upset about to validate your internal desire to be the sexism police.

• Options
    Also, was the video of an AMD Omega? I wouldn't think the racer variant would have living quarters.

Then there's the ladder and EVA shaft like you mentioned.

The Omega has a very small space behind the chair in the cockpit, maybe barely big enough for a crouching person. Looks like it's just a holdover from changing the design to remove the cargo area.

• Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

Mustang probably

It looked much too roomy for the Mustang...

Supposedly it's a variant of the Mustang that switches the cargo capacity for a big cabin.
    9j81q2daic0e.jpg

Gokerz on
    causality.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Gawd they needs a set for around the Verse. That table pushed into a corner is so bad.

• Options
    Gokerz wrote: »

Mustang probably

It looked much too roomy for the Mustang...

Supposedly it's a variant of the Mustang that switches the cargo capacity for a big cabin.
    9j81q2daic0e.jpg

Okay, that is awesome. Did not know that :) Space camper, heh :D

There is literally nothing to call out about the actual game right now. Right now there is one male character and a handful of metal spaceships. If you want to talk about sexism in gaming maybe take it to a thread for a game that actually has sexism in it.

Stop desperately searching for something to get upset about to validate your internal desire to be the sexism police.

Oh, so much projection. If you read my post you quoted carefully, you might notice that I'm not calling out SC for anything here, but rather complimenting them on the direction they're taking. If anything, what I'm calling out is you - for trying to silence discussion about an important topic that many here feel strongly about. If anyone's playing police here, it's you.

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    I imagine the space suits will fall along armor level. Level 1 armor will probably look like athletic wear while the highest level probably won't reveal skin color, never mind gender.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    If anything, what I'm calling out is you - for trying to silence discussion about an important topic that many here feel strongly about.

It's good to feel strongly about something, but there are better places to discuss it than a thread about a game that focuses about spaceships. At least give the game a chance to pass your sexism test before discussing whether or not a piece of artwork that is not related to it that just so happens to be in the same genre may or may not be an example of sexism.

Speaking of spaceships, those Mustang motorhome shots look pretty rad. Obviously you're not going to be shipping anything with it, but it might be a nice option for a low cost exploration/touring ship. The living area looks cramped, but compared to the Aurora's bunk/coffin it's positively palatial.

• Options
    If anything, what I'm calling out is you - for trying to silence discussion about an important topic that many here feel strongly about.

It's good to feel strongly about something, but there are better places to discuss it than a thread about a game that focuses about spaceships. At least give the game a chance to pass your sexism test before discussing whether or not a piece of artwork that is not related to it that just so happens to be in the same genre may or may not be an example of sexism.

Speaking of spaceships, those Mustang motorhome shots look pretty rad. Obviously you're not going to be shipping anything with it, but it might be a nice option for a low cost exploration/touring ship. The living area looks cramped, but compared to the Aurora's bunk/coffin it's positively palatial.

So essentially you're saying, if we want to discuss the graphics of a game, we should leave its dedicated thread alone and go start a thread on graphics instead? :P

• Options
    edited October 2014
    So essentially you're saying, if we want to discuss the graphics of a game, we should leave its dedicated thread alone and go start a thread on graphics instead? :P

Come on, you're better than this.

Playing around with the available ships this week has been a blast, but man it has been a long time since I have played any sort of 6dof game. I need to get my spacelegs back. The faster ships are very difficult to control. I think I need to change my bindings a bit. Using what is essentially a FPS control style doesn't jive with how I normally play vehicle based games.

Scooting around with the MR versus zipping around with some of the other ships really drives home the point that the Aurora really is a space economy car.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    This is going to be a spaceship game, yes. But more than any other Roberts game it is going to be a spacepersons game. This won't be Eve where your avatar exists only to give you a portrait to see next to your name in chat. Pardon us if we consider the one part of the graphics that will remain consistent regardless of what ship we are flying to be especially important.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    All I'm saying is don't cross the sexism bridge until you get to it.

If you get to it.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    On the contrary, if we are vocal in the concept or pre-concept stages there won't be a sexism bridge to cross. If you wait until later in the development then they will have invested too many hours into the art to be able to change it.

Speak up early, speak up often.

• Options
    That's cool, but you're literally complaining about nothing. The one female character that has been shown from the game (not art that is completely unrelated that was made by someone who has nothing to do with the game) looks more like Master Chief than the space wedgie shot that was posted earlier.

Your being vocal is saying "Don't do this", which would be great if they had actually done it.

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    What have I done to our beautiful thread? I blame myself.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Well, so far for the official art, we have seen these two. I feel this is a fair topic for discussion.
    si0fxw.jpg
    PI3jMN.jpg

Edit: Unrelated note; Cutlass commercial is available on youtube in 4k now.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    If either of those outfits make your mind jump to sexism than do yourself a favor and don't go to the mall on a Saturday.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular

You guys are getting steamed up over concept art that will probably never become a playable model.

You're getting steamed up over concept are that will not become a playable model, considering the fact that it isn't Star Citizen concept art at all. There is literally nothing to complain about here. We've seen samples of actual SC concept art, yossarian_lives posted it above and while the styles are similar, its so obviously different from what Fuselage posted and literally everything else we've seen from RSI so far that I'm surprised more people didn't pick up on it right away. Also the fact that the watermark says "CGSelworks" and not "Roberts Space Industries" is a pretty big hint guys, seriously.

But in any case, I'm going to play Devil's Advocate now, because why the fuck not. Lets assume this completely unrelated piece of artwork is going to be in the final product. I'm still okay with it, and I consider myself a social justice berserker. So lets look at the problem areas, first of all the heels. If they really are just pointless space-heels that are only on the female space suits then yeah, that's super dumb and needs to be changed, but I strongly suspect that those are mag-boots and everyone with a space suit is going to be wearing them. You can see how in the actual RSI concept art the first "female explorer" looks like she's wearing platform heels, so I suspect that's what we're seeing here. Secondly, the T&A. Skintight outfits that show off someone's figure aren't necessarily a problem in isolation, it all depends on three factors.

1. What does the male version look like? There's a good chance the male version would look similar, and I can see a legitimate reason for a flight suit to be super-tight, which leads me to point #2:

2. What is the purpose of this outfit, and does form fit function? If this is supposed to be worn in combat, then yeah, it's dumb. But if its supposed to be a civilian flight suit, then that's a little more reasonable.

3. Are there other options available?

I've spoken to actual, real-life women from my gaming group for perspective, and was surprised to find that a lot of them really didn't give as many fucks about sexism in video games as I'd expected. They cared a lot more about actual online harassment than how ludicrously huge the Dragon's Crow Sorceresses jubblies are. The more outrageous examples bothered them for sure (we did at least all agree that the Dragon's Crown Socreress is silly if nothing else), but I was surprised at what they'd look at and say "yeah, that's fine". One girl, for example, said she was fine with how Catwoman from Arkham city looked, but Poison Ivy was a little over the line. She cared more that the princesses in Castle Crashers of all things don't seem to have any agency beyond yelling "Help meeee!" and crying. And the issue of agency is an important one; Catwoman's getup makes at least a modicum of sense; given that she's a professional thief a skintight catsuit isn't a terrible idea. Given her personality and profession, it makes sense that Catwoman would choose to wear an outfit like that, whereas Poison Ivy basically walks around in her undies all the time for no reason. The point I'm laboriously making my way towards is; it makes complete sense that some women really would choose to wear an outfit like that over a more "practical" alternative. This only becomes an issue if heels and skin-tight catsuits are the only option available, and given that we've already seen female character models in-engine (Constellation commercial, Cutlass commercial) in more practical-looking outfits, we know this isn't the case.

TLDR; Unless we see some actual, official art that looks like what Fuselage posted, this is a non-issue. And assuming we do some day see something like that, its still a non-issue provided the male characters get the same treatment and there are other options available. I understand people's concerns, but everything we've seen from RSI so far suggests that they're on top of this, and aren't going to fuck up.

• Options
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    There is literally nothing to complain about here.

Exactly.

Flightsuits seem to be tight because have fun sitting comfortably in a seat (or even getting to the seat) in some of the smaller craft wearing a big bulky astronaut suit. The pilots in the larger ship commercials are wearing more casual clothing compared to the schmuck flying his Aurora around similar to how modern fighter pilots wear different clothing compared to the pilot who flies a 747.

Although, to be fair, you probably can't see the asscrack of a fighter pilot, but if you consider the commercial this seems to be a universe where your flightsuit can double as your outfit and we have a woman who is walking into a bar so we can assume she was dressed for a night out.

• Options
    Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I don't see where anyone posting following that bit of artwork was "getting steamed up." I definitely saw posts that it was a terrible design and ugly, and yes, at least somewhat sexist. However nowhere did I see anyone calling CIG/RSI or the game sexist, getting all irate about the design, or anything one could term "steamed up."

What I do however see is Smokestacks trying to squash any discussion about such topics ... nearly an hour and handful of posts after it had been clearly established and acknowledged that it was not SC artwork and the discussion was pretty much over already. It only became a discussion about sexism once he claimed it was such and that discussion wasn't about sexism itself but whether it should be talked about, with Smokestacks continuing to try to discourage any discussion... when there wasn't really even a discussion about it. There was no controversy until it was turned into one.

As to that piece of art from that artist, anyone with brains enough to click the link posted to the artists page and look at the gallery would clearly see the artists emphasis on sexualizing women but not giving the same treatment to men. Anyone with two ounces of anatomy knowledge can also see that those 'boots' were intended to be heels, as there's no human with lower legs that disproportionately long. End of that discussion on the artist's intent.

I think it's been established that, thus far, CIG has published relatively decent concepts showing a wide variety of female garb showing that they don't intend to "follow the norm" for female outfits. Pretty sure CR, or other staff, has stated the same too. By variety though, do not forget that they have also published artwork showing a female pirate in what could be considered 'normal' attire a real world person might wear; tighter fitting with midriff showing. I've got no problem with that, so long as I've got plenty of other options for my non-spacesuit attire too.

There is literally nothing to complain about here.

Exactly.

Flightsuits seem to be tight because have fun sitting comfortably in a seat (or even getting to the seat) in some of the smaller craft wearing a big bulky astronaut suit. The pilots in the larger ship commercials are wearing more casual clothing compared to the schmuck flying his Aurora around similar to how modern fighter pilots wear different clothing compared to the pilot who flies a 747.

Although, to be fair, you probably can't see the asscrack of a fighter pilot, but if you consider the commercial this seems to be a universe where your flightsuit can double as your outfit and we have a woman who is walking into a bar so we can assume she was dressed for a night out.

Yeah... FYI: A modern fighter pilot wears far more gear and bulk than the pilot of a commercial airliner. As do military helicopter pilots and crew.

Steel Fire on
  • Options
    deathsanideathsani Registered User regular
    Oh god no! Sexism discussion in the thread!
    akd1n7ezj9ro.gif

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Saying there is literally nothing to complain about is literally false. From about a year ago, here are three pictures, two of which are official concept art and one of which is something I made to point out the double standard that is already being applied to women in the game's art design (these are explorer armor WIP renders):

iOk6i2u.jpg

Lzrvq2U.jpg

fRY00yO.jpg

Notice how the man has bulky armor that protects him from from hazards whereas the woman has a marshmallow-stuffed catsuit that hugs each individual breast and employs the anti-gravity technology that will also let us walk around inside our ships. Notice also how (like I did in the third image) they could easily have dressed the woman up like the man in a sensible outfit. This is not an example of comparing apples to oranges or anything - these are the two explorer armors. This is what they're thinking you might look like when you dress up as an explorer, and there's a disparity between the men and women which (SURPRISE) ends up with the woman in the sexier outfit.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Steel Fire wrote: »
    Yeah... FYI: A modern fighter pilot wears far more gear and bulk than the pilot of a commercial airliner. As do military helicopter pilots and crew.

That was a point on "flight gear" vs more casual clothing, as in, the difference between a military flightsuit and a commercial pilots uniform.

Reading comprehension.

• Options
    Notice how the man has bulky armor that protects him from from hazards whereas the woman has a marshmallow-stuffed catsuit that hugs each individual breast and employs the anti-gravity technology that will also let us walk around inside our ships. Notice also how (like I did in the third image) they could easily have dressed the woman up like the man in a sensible outfit. This is not an example of comparing apples to oranges or anything - these are the two explorer armors. This is what they're thinking you might look like when you dress up as an explorer, and there's a disparity between the men and women which (SURPRISE) ends up with the woman in the sexier outfit.

I'm assuming that these are two completely different gameplay roles.

The man has no helmet and a gun, whereas the woman model has multiple gadgets on her belt as well as a helmet that looks like it has some sort of antenna on it.

"Explorer" means a lot of things. Whether it's intentionally sexist because the woman has less armor/a slimmer profile/tits or we're looking at two separate subclasses of explorer (a combat oriented one and a research/scouting oriented one that doesn't want or need to be a walking tank) is not known.

Because we're looking at concept art.

• Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    If we are talking protection from hazards I'll take an outfit with a full face mask, and neither of those looks like they would provide proper face protection. Although I do like that the women's outfit is bringing back those curly phone cords into fashion, that is some seriously sexy stuff.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Saying there is literally nothing to complain about is literally false. From about a year ago, here are three pictures, two of which are official concept art and one of which is something I made to point out the double standard that is already being applied to women in the game's art design (these are explorer armor WIP renders):
    iOk6i2u.jpg
    Lzrvq2U.jpg
    fRY00yO.jpg

Honestly, they look like two different suits to me. There's not a single piece from either suit that matches the other. If those really are the male and female versions of the same suit then yeah, its dumb and needs to be changed, but it doesn't seem all that likely. Because we're talking about concept art from a year ago and we have much more recent artwork, in-engine even, that shows male and female characters wearing basically the same armor:

esyn1i2de1ll.png

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular

The man has no helmet and a gun, whereas the woman model has multiple gadgets on her belt as well as a helmet that looks like it has some sort of antenna on it.

"Explorer" means a lot of things. Whether it's intentionally sexist because the woman has less armor/a slimmer profile/tits or we're looking at two separate subclasses of explorer (a combat oriented one and a research/scouting oriented one that doesn't want or need to be a walking tank) is not known.

I see no reason to think that these are two completely different gameplay roles - these are both the "Explorer" armor. It's literally the same armor, with the difference being one is for the male models and the other is for the female models. That's how they were presented to us. It just seems like you're grasping at straws here.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Honestly, they look like two different suits to me. There's not a single piece from either suit that matches the other. If those really are the male and female versions of the same suit then yeah, its dumb and needs to be changed, but it doesn't seem all that likely. Because we're talking about concept art from a year ago and we have much more recent artwork, in-engine even, that shows male and female characters wearing basically the same armor:

V1 and V3 might refer to concept iteration, but it could also refer to the first and third versions/classes of armor (as in, V1 is heavy, V2 is medium, and V3 is light).

edit:
    It's literally the same armor, with the difference being one is for the male models and the other is for the female models.

Cool bro, I didn't realize you were on the dev team. :rotate:

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited October 2014

I see no reason to think that these are two completely different gameplay roles - these are both the "Explorer" armor. It's literally the same armor, with the difference being one is for the male models and the other is for the female models. That's how they were presented to us. It just seems like you're grasping at straws here.

You're stating things that none of us know for sure as if they're facts, which isn't helpful. I'm willing to accept that these could be the same suit, but it really doesn't seem likely. To me, they look completely different. Again, I cannot see a single part from either suit that looks the same as the other except the boots. The legs are different, the shoulders are different, the arm-guards are different, the helmet is completely different, the gloves are different, everything is different!

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    All else being equal, one looks like combat armor, and the other looks like a stillsuit:

395633_10151233352455302_838525301_22783138_1449750322_n.jpg

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Something that should be noted. The community gave a bunch of feedback after the boob hugging armor was shown. People on the main forums expressed disappointment because they felt the design oversexualized the female. Now, the actual armor shown in engine is more sensible. Star Citizen is being developed in a very transparent manner and CIG has been really good about taking feedback from the community. So it's important that we talk about these things because our opinions will have an impact on the game's development.

Now lets get back to talking about camper modules and whether or not the Mustang is getting one.

yossarian_lives on
    "I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Now lets get back to talking about camper modules and whether or not the Mustang is getting one.
    Gokerz wrote: »
    9j81q2daic0e.jpg

Looks like it. Which is pretty awesome. I want to see what that Mustang looks like from the outside... will it be the VW T1 to the Alpha and Omega's Golf?

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Something that should be noted. The community gave a bunch of feedback after the boob hugging armor was shown. People on the main forums expressed disappointment because they felt the design oversexualized the female. Now, the actual armor shown in engine is more sensible. Star Citizen is being developed in a very transparent manner and CIG has been really good about taking feedback from the community. So it's important that we talk about these things because our opinions will have an impact on the game's development.

There is nothing to talk about. The image had absolutely nothing to do with the game, other than the fact that someone posted it in the SC forums. People are jumping at sexist shadows.

Considering the art shown had the word Mustang in it I'm guessing it is a sure bet.

But other than having a bed that grants you the ability to log out while in space I'm wondering what advantages if any a camper variant would give. Not having any cargo space takes away at least one way to generate income, but maybe you could use it as a cheap human transport, basically a low cost space taxi. That bunk looks like you'd only have space for one though.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    There is nothing to talk about.

The fact that there has been a lot of talk about it quite contradicts you in that point.

This discussion has been closed.