As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Beez in the [chat]

• Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    People who've never taken an algorithms class are always late for things.

Nobody ever taught them to think about the worst-case scenario.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »
    Regading Halloween and Pokemon, Junji Ito's going to do a collaboration series with Game Freak that focuses on scary Pokemon.

And lemme tellya there are some real scurry Pogeymunz and Ito's one helluva spoopy dude

Wait, is that a joke?

Because that's not funny if it is.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Okay, is this finished or is something still missing?

MW5OoXt.png

It's looking really great. You could leave it as-is, or if you want to do some minor fiddling:

The dude in the background (armor? golem?) looks flat. Since he's standing to one side of the lamp, you could do some really subtle shading on one side.

The fence and door in the background as well. Making the parts of the fence further away from the lamp ever-so-slightly darker would make it look more real.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Yay, random tortoise.

galapagos-tortoise_532_600x450.jpg

I bet that tortoise is delicious

There's good eating on one o' them

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Angelfire still exists?

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Actually, I think the archer with the ponytail in front might be too illuminated. Her back is turned to the lamp, so she should have more shadow.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Feral why are you acting like you've never played Chrono Trigger?

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Okay, is this finished or is something still missing?

MW5OoXt.png

It's looking really great. You could leave it as-is, or if you want to do some minor fiddling:

The dude in the background (armor? golem?) looks flat. Since he's standing to one side of the lamp, you could do some really subtle shading on one side.

The fence and door in the background as well. Making the parts of the fence further away from the lamp ever-so-slightly darker would make it look more real.

You have not played Chrono Trigger?

Dude.

Play Chrono Trigger

it's a pretty grate gaem.

(That's a robot, FYI)

Also good ideas. You are a very helpful person, Feral.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Been watching a twitch streamer play Grimrock 2

wow that game is huuuuuge and very cool.

I dont think Im going ot ever beat it its going to be more of a fun now and then thing for me.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »
    Regading Halloween and Pokemon, Junji Ito's going to do a collaboration series with Game Freak that focuses on scary Pokemon.

And lemme tellya there are some real scurry Pogeymunz and Ito's one helluva spoopy dude

Wait, is that a joke?

Because that's not funny if it is.

No joke.

It is a thing.

Ids habbedig

http://tinycartridge.com/post/100258461817/junji-ito-x-pokemon-pokemons-about-to-get

http://www.pokemon.jp/special/kowapoke/collaboration/

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    tumblr_n2g9geu8E71qhymn9o3_1280.jpg

Back at base, bugs in the software flash the message, "there's something there."

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Ehh went and rehosted because damn it I like the picture.

(Seriously angelfire somehow still exists)

Tea_zps4d9d42fa.jpg

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Chrono trigger is dated. And nostalgia colors some issues that the game has.

• Options
    Junji Ito once made a manga about him and his wife getting a new cat.

It was done in his usual style, which made it hilarious.

Just sharing.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    my head hurts

hair's coming down

f the p

• Options
    Greeper wrote: »
    Junji Ito once made a manga about him and his wife getting a new cat.

It was done in his usual style, which made it hilarious.

Just sharing.

That was the best comic.

• Options

If you say so.

I played it for the first time like two years ago and I'm like: Huh. This is probably the best JRPG I've played.

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    I'm watching "The Craft". Time to get some candles and invoke the spirits to kill some mans.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    @Blameless Cleric‌ omg this game is hitler. I don't know how I can go back to life before playing it

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Also regarding spoopy things, I think I've really come to appreciate Handjob-Chan from The Evil Within.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    I think chrono trigger was my first meet cute. Awe, they ran into each other and had a date.

The part when chrono stands up and fights the worm thing with the sprite lightning coming off of him also blew my mind.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phV1bV1aHeE
    I wonder if there are any non-Chinese producers of these games anymore.

• Options

I might have played it for a minute. I don't generally like JRPGs.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular

I'm not too sure about that. I played the DS version not too long ago and it was still fun and didn't feel dated.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

CT is quite good but it is also very much a JRPG and very much of the SNES era

it doesn't have random encounters, but it is still a JRPG

the multiple endings/time travel stuff is pretty interesting, but the mediocre translation and dialogue and mute main character are kind of eh

• Options
    Most JRPGs don't give me enough tactical choices or customization choices. I don't feel like they're interactive enough.

There have been rare exceptions. I like SRPGs a lot, though I can't remember any of the storyline to most of them I've played.

• Options

CT is quite good but it is also very much a JRPG and very much of the SNES era

it doesn't have random encounters, but it is still a JRPG

the multiple endings/time travel stuff is pretty interesting, but the mediocre translation and dialogue and mute main character are kind of eh

Random encounters don't bother me as long as I feel like I'm making strategic choices.

• Options
    It's just that, by their nature, JRPGs can't innovate the battle system too much. If you are a turn-based battle system there is not a lot of innovating to do.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phV1bV1aHeE
    I wonder if there are any non-Chinese producers of these games anymore.

I had this.

I played the hell out of it.

This was before I had a Game Boy.

• Options
    Shadow Hearts: Covenant was a JRPG I enjoyed a lot. Partly for it's humor (<3 Joachim) and partly because the combat system was exploitable. I challenged myself to alpha strike every enemy and I was able to make customization & tactical choices supporting alpha strikes as a coherent strategy.

• Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular

The only issue I have with the game is than the new content in the DS version is horrible.

The game was great in part because it had no backtracking and repetitiveness yet the bonus content was soooooo repetitive. It's like Square forgot what made their own game great in the first place!

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Most JRPGs don't give me enough tactical choices or customization choices. I don't feel like they're interactive enough.

There have been rare exceptions. I like SRPGs a lot, though I can't remember any of the storyline to most of them I've played.

The sprite based grandia games are pretty tactical. I like grandia extreme's battle system enough that I can overlook a lot of its poorer aspects.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Feral just play Dragonfall.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    There isn't much strategy or customization in CT if I recall. The combat isn't terribly easy - if you're not grinding levels, you do have to play pretty smart and make the right choices for each character's turn in terms of ability use, priority target, healing vs offense, etc.

But it definitely isn't a compelling deep game. I mean it's really old. I don't think any of those SNES RPGs are particularly good games.

Recent JRPGs are obsessed with baroque character customization that is pretty bleh to me though. A simple story to play through is pretty refreshing.

I just bought Wasteland 2, if you're looking for customization, though. Holy shit. There's a skill for repairing toasters.

• Options
    No joke Super Mario RPG is possibly the best RPG of all time.

• Options
    Chrono trigger is linear, your character development is just getting abilities as you level, you have minimum influence on the story and ate just watching things play out, battles are basically just using your biggest abilities until you win.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    i intensly dislike JRPGs

they emphasize everything that "RPG" has come to mean in video games that I dislike, and minimize or outright toss out everything about RPGs in their tabletop origins that I actually like

they're like anti-fun for me

• Options
    Now is it charming as fuck and the story enjoyable? Yeah.

But the game is dated.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Feral just play Dragonfall.

a million times this

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Is there anything worse than hearing the alien drop into the room when you're using a computer?

Yes

Hearing the alien drop into the room when you're using a save point

Oh brilliant
This discussion has been closed.