As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A [DOODLE] Thread for the Ages. [NSFW]

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    @lyrium
    Photoshop trrrickery. The three colors (cyan, magenta, yellow) are separated in each their individual multiply layer with a textured layer mask on them.
    But yeah, it's meant to emulate something like what a risoprinter would produce. I definitely plan on making some prints at some point.
    and thanks duder

edit: totp
    Sketch of my D&D character, Mike'y (the) Skullblaster. Never played D&D before and my only real exposure to D&D is listening to The Adventure Zone- so I'm hoping he's amusing enough on an entertainment level, to making up for his overall terribleness in terms of actual game mechanics. My first fight with him involved him needlessly provoking a bad man, getting almost slashed in half immediately, and then running and hiding in a tent and shouting at people while everyone else engaged in combat, then trying to convince my party members that was his brilliant master plan all along.

MikeySkullblaster_web.jpg

Background on Mike'y:
    Class: Bard
    Race: Human
    Backstory:

Once, Mike’y was a simple entertainer- traveling from village to village with a troupe of musicians, singers, and actors. One day, while in the town of Wartstham, the leader of the troupe overheard talk of a rich baron who lived in a remote castle some miles away, who reportedly ‘enjoyed a play with his dinner’- and so the troupe decided to call upon the castle in the hope of making some coin with a performance.
    Mike’y, who had come down with food poisoning from a dish of improperly cooked hippogriff rump, stayed back in town to recuperate.
    Unfortunately for his troupe members, the rich baron turned out to be a powerful vampire, and it turned out that the troupe leader had misheard- the vampire baron in actuality ‘enjoyed playing with his dinner’. The poor troupe was devoured in short order.
    At this time, a group of vampire hunters who had been staking out the area in preparation for an attack, heard the screams coming from the castle. While this group had had decent success taking down vampires in the past- largely owing to careful preparation, scouting, and trap-laying- in this case some of the hunters decided to rush in to try for a rescue- the rest reluctantly followed to help. Heroically, they managed to slay the vampire and his monsters- but all of the vampire hunters were killed in the process.
    After a few days, Mike’y felt he felt well enough again to be out and about, and made his way to the castle. Upon arriving, he found the grim battlefield, littered with bodies of monsters and warriors. After a pretty substantial period of freaking the hell out, he decided that being a lone survivor isn’t going to do him much good if he’s broke (he’d spent most of his money at the inn, both for the room, and the additional chamber pots he had to bring in to deal with his excessive amount of sick), and decided to grab whatever looked valuable enough to pawn. He strapped on a random mismatch of armor and weapons (which he hoped would prove as valuable as they were heavy and cumbersome), along with whatever other loot he could carry, and headed back to the village.
    This new costume rendering him unrecognizable as the queasy fellow who had been laid up in bed for a week, the townsfolk marveled at this unknown warrior that rode into their midst on a magnificent (if slightly stolen from the baron’s stables) steed. While he was attempting to quietly remove himself from the throng of onlookers to go find a merchant to sell his loot to, a rider who has just passed the castle came back with news of the battle- and quickly spreading rumors attributed the heroic slaying of the vampire to the mysterious armored stranger.
    The villagers’ misinterpretation leading him to be generously invited to grand feasts, free ale, and generally leading a cushier, more lucrative lifestyle than he’d had before, Mike’y used his acting and storytelling skills to portray himself as the mysterious, experienced warrior everyone expected him to be, and news of his feats spread throughout the lands.
    When his ruse in the village started to wear thin, he decided to move from town to town mooching off townsfolk, trading on his undeserved reputation preceding him- with has become increasingly exaggerated thanks to word of mouth retelling over time. Since he is playing an adventurer, he does have to go on adventures from time to time- though he’d prefer to avoid them where possible. Since he has no real fighting skills, he tries to pass over genuinely dangerous jobs as not being worth his time, and exaggerates the dangers posed by very safe jobs to clients- using his supposed expertise to justify much higher fees than such jobs would merit.

Traits:
    Mike’y effects a strong silent type persona, in a Man With No Name fashion- gruff voice, stoic demeanor, speaks in short but authoritative sentences. However, when pushed by stress, finding himself in over his head, or in places or in a guise where he doesn’t think he’ll be recognized, he reverts to his natural, more high-pitched voice and act in a more cowardly fashion.
    Mike’y has no real skills in combat, though he might know one or two things that sound or look impressive to the casual observer, from what he’s picked up in plays and books.
    He will usually try to either bluff his way out of a situation through intimidation, or fob off the duty of actual fighting to other party members, saying they need the experience, or that the opponent isn’t worth his time, or that it’s all part of his brilliant strategy. He’ll run away if he thinks he can get away with it- if he finds the odds against him, he’ll try to bribe anyone near to either leave him alone or fight in his stead while he escapes.
    The combination or boosting the confidence of his party members based on his legendary reputation (while providing almost no actual value to a party), with his priority mainly being self-preservation, means that being in a party with him may prove fairly dangerous- and party members getting injured or killed while he comes through without a scratch, tends to only bolster his reputation as a master fighter.
    However, Mike’y is not a total sociopath, and will not actively betray his party members for his own gain- on rare occasions he may be driven to small acts of heroism- while generally ineffective in combat, he may have moments of cleverness that may help himself or his party members out of a jam.

Equipment:
    Armor: Using the prop-building skills he had from his days as an entertainer, most of the original armor he had looted from the castle he has quietly and gradually replaced with replica armor made of balsa wood and aluminum coating, selling the originals. These replicas are much lighter and allow him to move easier, but provide very little protection. Because the original ones never fit very well, the replicas are equally ill-fitting, to maintain the illusion.
    Weapons:
    He carries an unnamed sword (well, it has a name, Mike’y just doesn’t know it) that hums and glows with a magical power- what that power is or how to use it, however, is totally unknown to Mike’y- and it’s not like he can just ask someone what it is without looking like a fool. Showing it off is effective for intimidation though, so he keeps it around- he just has no idea how to use it, or any other weapon, in a fight.
    Other: He has a hidden pouch with fake blood/scars/disguises, so after he runs away he can appear later looking battlescarred or get away from a situation by pretending to be someone else.
    m3nace wrote: »
    tumblr_o6t9s2Dw4T1s37o1ho1_540.png

m3nace on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I'm taking an online Matte Painting course over at CGMA. Our first assignment is lighting studies, while trying not to get toooooo involved with details.

1fkz5gb0irz4.jpg

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    nice!

What I really want to be doing is just make album covers for psychedelic doom bands
    tumblr_o74jjxjfpU1s37o1ho1_540.png

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure any psychedelic doom band whom you send something like this to would eat it up in a minute.

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Finally sat down and told myself to start drawing every-single-day. I've always half-assed with digital. I am half-way through Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. Great book so far.

Here is a doodle of my puppy before bed. XD

tumblr_o75hx3SQ1i1vtg0g4o1_1280.jpg

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • zapattackzapattack Registered User regular
    CixQAQG.jpg

Moo.

www.stevenzapata.com
    instagram.com/stevenzapata_art
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    ip14fwouphp7.jpg

It's been a while, huh? I guess it's true what they say. "You never really quit something til you die, you're just taking a long break."

ninjai on
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Geth detected banned alias
    Reason: nanthil

A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors.
    ninjai

Online matte painting course, week three.....I had zero time to do anything this week, so I did this in about four hours.
    Reference images were to gather general color scheme and lighting ideas.

fw773pq2yyx6.jpg

• Red_ArremerRed_Arremer Registered User regular
    That looks really good ND. Is there a lot of compositing in the mattes or is it mostly painting? I want to take some CGMA classes when i have the money. What do you think of it so far?

That looks really good ND. Is there a lot of compositing in the mattes or is it mostly painting? I want to take some CGMA classes when i have the money. What do you think of it so far?

Thanks! We're not doing any compositing, just working purely in Photoshop for now. I'd like to incorporate some 3D soon, but the course professor doesn't want us to yet (I might anyway)...the usual professor wasn't able to make this session so we have another guy doing the critiques who's got a really strong resume of experience.
    We're doing very little actual hand-done painting - it's mostly just editing the photos you pull in to match the lighting of your piece.

It might be a bit early for me to make a solid assessment just yet, but to me it's a bit simplistic. He's currently only gone over some basics of "how to correct your photos, how to mask out your photos, things to look for when matching them", which I already understand. I was hoping to get more involved and more into theory/matching a prompt, but we'll see how things progress.

edited May 2016
    Zapp and ND you're fucking amazeballs

tumblr_o803tlukTw1s37o1ho2_540.png

m3nace on
  • elizabelizab Registered User new member
    @elizab

Those are wonderful! The doodle thread is a fine place to post, you can also make your own thread if you'd like. Let me know if you have any questions about either!

Welcome to the AC.

• bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    That bike pedal is awesome.

Very charming work, @elizab ! Would love to see more from you. :)

Matte painting, week 5!
    Here was the prompt we were given:
    Given the plate, create a matte painting that includes:
    Early evening lighting
    A straw roof hut that sits in front of a big rock screen right
    A character that is a Sheppard and tend to a few sheep.
    Extend the background and sky to match the plate and evening lighting.

Here's the plate we were given:
    kmdxsujw84du.jpg

and here's my submission:
    jhdp6lz5lh3x.jpg

Very nice.

Have you gotten any useful feedback on your finished ones?

Iruka wrote: »
    Very nice.

Have you gotten any useful feedback on your finished ones?

Yes, but it tends to be very specific to the piece....so, there's not really much I can apply to other pieces (which is Critique Gold). I did have to skip one week, and this week's won't be critiqued until Sunday, though.

I think I have a hard time with online classes because I look for really intense, even "harsh" critique and it doesn't seem very common that it's even offered. Might depend on the instructor/school "culture" though. Our next project is going to be our final project, and we'll get a wonderful three weeks to complete it from thumbnails to polished final...hopefully for that one I'll be able to ask for some more direct/intense/specific feedback.

• Ronin356Ronin356 Nowhere MORegistered User regular
    Sarah-Wichen1_zpsamqzexsm.jpg

From my drawing group, which I have been going to since 2005.

Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time.
    Georgia O'Keeffe
    Be sure to like my Comic Book "Last Words" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Last-Words-The-Comic-Book/458405034287767
    and Magenta the Witchgirl!: http://www.drunkduck.com/Magenta_the_Witchgirl/

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Trying to push some extreme poses.

Also, man I have not posted a dood in a fucking age.

q02etldoizk5.png

Cira2_zpstkewgw75.jpg

From drawing group this week.

Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time.
    Georgia O'Keeffe
    Be sure to like my Comic Book "Last Words" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Last-Words-The-Comic-Book/458405034287767

edited June 2016
    Yo, @Ronin356 looks like you're on the right track as far as your values go so definitely keep plugging away at that. How long are you spending on your sketches? If you aren't already doing it I'd highly recommend starting out with loose, light guidelines to make sure that your proportions are accurate and your gesture is strong from the very get go before you get into the nitty gritty details. I notice it more on the second sketch than the first but it looks like some of your lines are a bit jagged, possibly because you're trying to compensate as you go. Having a solid structure will go a long way towards improving your line confidence.

Also, I'm not 100% sure whether you're using graphite or charcoal or something like that. I'll go ahead and say those aren't really my forté but I believe, with those kinds of mediums, that it's generally advised that you try and work from the inside out as far as your shading goes. Keep your outlines light and let the values push the contours and edges. Easier said than done, I know. I can't blend to save my life.

Dunno if anybody else here could offer some better input as far as blending and whatnot goes?

Juggernut on
  • SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    A few days ago I did this, and quit in frustration like, "fuck this shit! I can't draw!"

7ll18isc4qyi.jpg

Then today I did some warmups and took my time and busted this out:

nre1l5mj1y8g.jpg

Feels good! I need to take whatever I did to make that second one and apply it every time I sit down to draw.

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

I've been kind of terrified of posting here, but I'd love some feedback. I've struggled a lot with freehand drawing while also keeping things clear, and keeping the style loose and relaxed. I've been forcing myself not to use pencil and time myself around 20mins for each.

Liiya on
    Hey @Liiya !

No need to be terrified, really.

What kind of paper are you using? Is the bleed something you are going for?

Might want to try playing with the color first, and then inking over it when its dry. You can still get some looseness, but the black wont bleed as much, giving you a bit more cleanliness overall. It'll require a bit of planning, but still possible to do without a pencil lay in.

The paper looks not up to the task though, which may make it difficult to do a light pass of color and then something heavier and not ruin the paper.

The bleed of the ink lines was encouraged by tutors so I sort of stuck with it, but I'll try changing it up and doing colour first like you suggest! I'll try to get some heavier paper, it was all I have kicking about at the moment but will get some. Thank you Iruka !

Liiya wrote: »
    The bleed of the ink lines was encouraged by tutors so I sort of stuck with it, but I'll try changing it up and doing colour first like you suggest! I'll try to get some heavier paper, it was all I have kicking about at the moment but will get some. Thank you Iruka !

(Don't be afraid to post here! :P )

I think that it might look cool to have the black linework not bleed at all, but then get some cool effects with the color bleeding. Having both bleed right now can be taken as unintentional, and I think having clean linework and color bleed might make the effect look cleaner and intentional.

(thank you!)

I'll definitely give that a go then, I appreciate the feedback! Hopefully it'll look a little cleaner/neater while still loose.

Here's another dumb pose with this dumb animoo cowboy

9k9jlnpbw7fd.png

Heh. Animoo. Cowboy.

I am great.

m3nace wrote: »
    What I really want to be doing is just make album covers for psychedelic doom bands
    tumblr_o74jjxjfpU1s37o1ho1_540.png

I'll have to take you up on that whenever I decided to start a doom metal band.

Georgia O'Keeffe

Also, hi @Liiya! Welcome to the doodle place. Please post all of your doodles.

Link-giving-up1_zpsrlafst4d.jpg

For you Zelda fans.

Georgia O'Keeffe

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2016
    Sketch for an intaglio print I want to do some time. If I can ever get easy access to a studio again.

6qcc3l8xe65u.jpg

tynic on
  • JolliJolli Registered User regular
    CAGbFwX.png

Trying a new method of coloring.

• acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    this was supposed to just be black and white , but then i kept messing with it.
    8qplrwr6cdsi.png

after a little more messin:
    i4spesruel8i.png

k i'm done messin now:
    rm9ybnf6lxix.png

acadia on
    First time in a long while I've touched a wacom for pure drawing.
    vhafsj9s016p.png

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    more gouache sketching of the local scenery

m6v6md2q2dkd.jpg