As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xbone shouldn't be doing this...right?

Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
edited October 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
I haven't used my One since May, but I picked up Shadow of Mordor and Wolfenstein over the last few weeks, so I set it up again, minus the Kinect. After starting up, it works fine. After I'm finished, however, I have to remove the game, power the system down, and unplug it. If I don't, the next time I go to play whatever is in at the time will restart at it's main menu but move from frame to frame of the menu animation and not respond to anything I do with the controller except return to the system main screen or hold down the center button to bring up the shut down options. When those come up, everything is (for lack of a better word) ghosted across the screen two or three times. When I first set it up again, it had a lot of updates to install, but I didn't read/hear about any of them being problematic. Has this happened to anyone/has anyone heard of something similar, or am I doing something blatantly wrong that I'm not realizing? Please don't hesitate to call me an idiot if I'm being oblivious to some basic part of One ownership/maintenance/whatever.

Edit: The console is not constantly connected to the internet, if that might be a problem.

Lou29 on

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    When you are done, do you hit the guide button then hit start and quit the game before shutting it down?

When you shut it down are you doing it from the controller or holding the power button down? (Orange or white light on power supply)- never mind you said you have to unplug it

Is the box hot? Anything set up next to it, the top or back?

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    It doesn't feel like it's overheating, and I typically close out the game before shutting down. I have just been using the controller though, assuming it would work like the 360 did and shut down completely. Am I just putting it in sleep mode?

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    First step: attach the Kinect and see if it makes a difference.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Agreed. This seems like a strange out of the blue problem.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Also, as you said it wasn't connected to the internet, try and resolve that in case there were any other updates that just hadn't come down.

But no, it shouldn't do that. I've only ever had to hard boot my system once as it started not playing sound for tomb raider. And I probably could have gotten around that by just playing another game.

I've had individual apps crash however, but all I need to do is restart them or hit the menu button to exit them then restart them.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    When you turn off the Xbox One from using the controller or menu option, you are actually putting it into a sleep mode, hence it's ability to load back up quickly and update itself while supposedly off. To actually turn the system off, you have to hold down the power button until you hear a beep. It will go through a much longer boot up process when you turn it back on again (maybe slightly longer than an original 360 startup).

However, this shouldn't be happening normally. You would be best served contacting Microsoft and following any trouble shooting methods they give you for alleviating the issue. I would generally say a complete return to factory settings should do the trick, since that fixed a sound and lockup issue I had after my initial install. I've had a small taste of what you describe twice (the game I last played coming up and no response or no actual loading of any programs or apps), but they went completely away after fully shutting down the system and leaving it unplugged for five minutes.

Good luck on whatever you choose to do. :-)

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »
    When you turn off the Xbox One from using the controller or menu option, you are actually putting it into a sleep mode, hence it's ability to load back up quickly and update itself while supposedly off. To actually turn the system off, you have to hold down the power button until you hear a beep. It will go through a much longer boot up process when you turn it back on again (maybe slightly longer than an original 360 startup).

However, this shouldn't be happening normally. You would be best served contacting Microsoft and following any trouble shooting methods they give you for alleviating the issue. I would generally say a complete return to factory settings should do the trick, since that fixed a sound and lockup issue I had after my initial install. I've had a small taste of what you describe twice (the game I last played coming up and no response or no actual loading of any programs or apps), but they went completely away after fully shutting down the system and leaving it unplugged for five minutes.

Good luck on whatever you choose to do. :-)

That depends on the options selected. You can turn off that feature and make it so that the xbox shuts down completely when you turn it off. But by default it will indeed go to the low power standby mode when you turn it "off".

• Options
    I just went into options and switched it to power save the other day after poking around the menus a bit, and it seems to have fixed the problem. Switched back and forth between games several times during different play sessions and no issues. I'm going to consider it problem solved, but if I get any more game freezes/screen stutters I'll definitely consider the send away/fix option. Thanks, all!