As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Superheroes] Marvel Announces Too Much Stuff to Put Into a Cheeky Thread Title!

Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
edited October 2014 in Social Entropy++
Movies!
CA_Supermovies_10-28-2014-2.jpg

TV!
Agents of SHIELD!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PahISq6DKws
Gotham!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RASP8le95w
Arrow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKE36sL6jKc
Flash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj0l7iGKh8g
Constantine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPE2oBnzROY
Daredevil
daredevil_zpsfebbdaea.jpeg
(No Footage Yet)

COMIC BOOKS!
SecretWars_zpsdb52d8d9.jpg
SGCOVER-1_zps691250f8.jpg

I’M SURE DC IS DOING STUFF IN THIS MEDIUM TOO!

SUPERHEROES!

Undead Scottsman on

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Wow that's a lot of fucking movies.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I heard boxing glove arrows and came as fast as I could

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Should I bother recording Constantine?

• Options
    Tox wrote: »

There's also a crapton of shows coming. I didn't even mention Agent Carter, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, let alone all the rumored stuff like Supergirl and a Fox show about Mutants. Plus Powers on Playstation Network and here's a Heroes web series coming, apparently.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    so are they doing hosue of M... again? or was that a joke image from something else?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    That house of M poster from the end of the last thread, what is Danvers doing on there? She's not a mutant.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    so are they doing hosue of M... again? or was that a joke image from something else?

marvel has put out a teaser image for almost every event theyve done in the past decade in the last week or so

we don't know what it means

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    edited October 2014

That is the sixth in a series of images revisiting past events. There's been Civil War, Age of Ultron vs Marvel Zombies, Years of Future Past, Planet Hulk, Armor Wars and now House of M. Nobody knows what they mean, though it's likely they're tied into next years's Secret Wars event, somehow.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Should I bother recording Constantine?

Might as well. I mean, there's a chance it won't be terrible, right?

• Options
    edited October 2014

marvel has put out a teaser image for almost every event theyve done in the past decade in the last week or so

we don't know what it means

Nah, they haven't done images for Secret Invasion, any of the Infinity Storylines, Age of Apocolypse, Onslaught, World War Hulk, any of the Giffen/D&A space stuff (Annihilation etc.), Siege, Fear Itself, Avengers vs X-Men, or any of dozens of line specific events ala the Planet Hulk and Armor Wars teasers.

They have not yet BEGUN to nostalgia!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    That house of M poster from the end of the last thread, what is Danvers doing on there? She's not a mutant.
    Carol was the most popular non-mutant hero in the House of M universe

That's what made her become such a prominent part of Bendis' Avengers, she remembered her life as basically the HoM equivalent of Captain America and knew she couldn't just sit by and "waste" her potential

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

Carol Danvers was the most famous/liked superhero in the House of M universe. It was what started the current resurgence of the character.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Also Spider-Man was on the teaser too

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    And a sigil'd up Hulk.

EDIT: And Daredevil.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Nah man those are Aborigine markings

House of M Hulk is Prime Minister of Australia

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

There's also a crapton of shows coming. I didn't even mention Agent Carter, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, let alone all the rumored stuff like Supergirl and a Fox show about Mutants. Plus Powers on Playstation Network and here's a Heroes web series coming, apparently.

Eh, those don't bother me as much. A lot of those are more or less premium. All the Netflix/Marvel stuff, and the PSN one (PSN is subscription now, isn't it?) so that's not as likely to have as big of an effect on saturating the market as ten fucking movies being constantly advertised in 2017.

Now, Agents of Shield, Agent Carter, Flash, and Arrow? Those are going to definitely have an impact, as will anything Fox does. So it's still, ugh....the bubble's gonna burst.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    And he hates paperwork

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Ah, I never read the tie-ins for House of M, so I probably missed that.

• Options

Eh, those don't bother me as much. A lot of those are more or less premium. All the Netflix/Marvel stuff, and the PSN one (PSN is subscription now, isn't it?) so that's not as likely to have as big of an effect on saturating the market as ten fucking movies being constantly advertised in 2017.

Now, Agents of Shield, Agent Carter, Flash, and Arrow? Those are going to definitely have an impact, as will anything Fox does. So it's still, ugh....the bubble's gonna burst.

Nah.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    edited October 2014

People have been saying the bubble is going to burst since, like, Spider-Man 2 yet superhero films keep making more and audiences are still hungry for new franchises as Guardians and Flash have shown in Film and TV respectively.

If the bubble bursts it bursts but it is useless speculating about it because people, including actual financial forecasters, have been playing Chicken Little about it for almost a decade now

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Also there are so many different types of superhero films that even if the public gets tired of one particular brand they can tweak it up some and people will still go

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I wonder what the tax situation is like in House of M Australia.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    It's almost like superheroes are timeless.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Radius wrote: »
    I wonder what the tax situation is like in House of M Australia.

HULK FIND TAXES ON DURABLE GOODS TO BE TOO HIGH

WILL REDUCE AND SPREAD ACROSS MORE FREQUENTLY PURCHASED DISPOSABLE GOODS

• Options
    The bubble isn't going to burst, but I'm sure critics and news sites are going to start a narrative of the bubble bursting sometime soon. Ant-Man could have been the tipping pint here, but it will be coming after an Avengers flick, so anyone with a clue will just go "Nah' Avengers made a fortune, so some superhero movies are peachy."

I mean, we've had some real stinkers in superhero films, and they're still more popular than ever. Even Fox is hot doggin' it though they put out last stand and origins.

• Options
    Personally I am skeptical it'll happen anytime soon

The reason pop culture bubbles burst is when the market is flooded with shoddy imitators and cash-ins

That's why video games crashed in the 80s, that's why Westerns crashed, monster movies, etc.

But superhero films have become such a big deal and so massive that a studio can't just fart out something like the first Ghost Rider or Elektra anymore

They are multi-year endeavors in shared universes with insane effects and massive stars being courted by studios

So it is in Fox/Marvel/WB/Sony's interest to keep the quality up

Marvel clearly knows this and Fox seems to have learned it with the X-Men (although who knows about F4 at this point) and while I do not like Man of Steel in the slightest, it was pretty dang popular and there is an audience for that type of film. The only studio who tried to make a fast cash-in on the shared universe thing, ASM 2, got its ass kicked for it and has had to delay the franchise and re-evaluate.

As for TV shows, eh. Arrow and Flash are the only real superhero shows out there. Agents of SHIELD is, well, about the Agents of SHIELD and is way more Alias than Superhero. Gotham is a detective drama set in Gotham City and Constantine is a spooky scary paranormal show like Supernatural, Grimm or Sleepy Hollow. Can't really worry about viewer fatigue when the only thing tying the shows together is the fact that they have a Marvel/DC logo in their credits.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Can we call them spook em ups

• Options
    I think it'll happen soon (the narrative, not the bubble bursting, obviously) because that shit gets hits. Everyone loves seeing an empire topple; look at how they tired to spell the doom of Marvel when the Edgar Wright stuff went down.

• Options
    As for 2017, I am still very skeptical that we get either Venom or the Female-Led Spider-Man spin-off, Fantastic Four 2 has the potential to be canned depending on the success of F4, which is up in the air at this point, and Lego Batman isn't anymore a superhero movie than the Lego Movie was. It's a CGI Comedy that happens to star Batman.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I think it'll happen soon (the narrative, not the bubble bursting, obviously) because that shit gets hits. Everyone loves seeing an empire topple; look at how they tired to spell the doom of Marvel when the Edgar Wright stuff went down.
    That post was talking about the actual bubble, not the narrative

yeah it'll totally happen again soon. I've already seen like 3 variants on DC ANNOUNCED MOVIES THROUGH 2020; MARVEL DOOMED

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

People have been saying the bubble is going to burst since, like, Spider-Man 2 yet superhero films keep making more and audiences are still hungry for new franchises as Guardians and Flash have shown in Film and TV respectively.

If the bubble bursts it bursts but it is useless speculating about it because people, including actual financial forecasters, have been playing Chicken Little about it for almost a decade now

As I recall, speculation bubbles nearly tanked Marvel in the first place.

• Options
    Fair points all around. Fwiw, I don't see a crash/burst before that potential heavy run of movies in late 2017.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Yes more bubble talk

Bubbles

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    As for 2017, I am still very skeptical that we get either Venom or the Female-Led Spider-Man spin-off, Fantastic Four 2 has the potential to be canned depending on the success of F4, which is up in the air at this point, and Lego Batman isn't anymore a superhero movie than the Lego Movie was. It's a CGI Comedy that happens to star Batman.

I think it's counts as much as Big Hero Six does, which is a Disney movie that happens to have superheroes in it.

Venom totally ain't happening that year though, I'll agree.

• Options
    Fair points all around. Fwiw, I don't see a crash/burst before that potential heavy run of movies in late 2017.

I will be shocked if more than half of those come out

• Options
    Yes more bubble talk

Bubbles
    Ppg-bubbles-power-puff-girls-9172123-445-460.jpg
    Bubbles.jpg
    The_Wire_Bubbles.jpg
    XUz3o5g.jpg
    800px-SpongeBob_and_Bubble_Buddy_in_a_Green_See_Saw_Season_2.png

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Jake Gyllenhaal...?

• Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Jake Gyllenhaal...?
    Bubble_Boy_movie_poster.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blank has Bubble Boy on VHS, DVD and Blu-Ray

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Oh I remember that movie existing, I just didn't know Jake Gyllenhaal was the star!

This discussion has been closed.