As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Editing Software for an Educator

PriestPriest Registered User regular
edited October 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
Greetings all,

Trying to find a suitable video editing suite to use in creating video lessons. My primary issue is that I need professional features and a professional appearance, but can't pay for traditional options (budget limitations + administrators don't think it is necessary). I've used Lightworks Free (huge learning curve), but I find it to be missing some pretty key features regarding text/image overlays unless you shell out for Pro. I've heard of a bunch of other programs (Vegas, Adobe of course, Windows Movie Maker), but I honestly don't have enough time in the day to try every program, and hence, seek the guidance of skilled lads and lasses in the PA community.

Required Features:
1. Render in 1080p in common formats & containers
2. Handle multiple audio/video streams
3. Overlay shapes / text
4. Dynamic 'moving' text/shapes (time-based vectors or otherwise)
5. <$50 Cost
6. Works in Windows Platform

Desired Features:
1. Support for recording Screencasts
2. Support for recording directly from Mic
3. DVD Authoring
4. Library of Audio / Visual Effects.
5. FOSS (Free Open Source Software)
6. Medium to Low learning curve
7. Works in UNIX (Note - All UNIX, not just OSX)

Thanks all!

Priest on

• Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    What you could do is just build any graphics you need using the free Pixlr, and then import those as images and fade them in via iMovie, etc?

Otherwise, I think you may wanna look into nabbing Final Cut Pro Studio - which has most of those features, but is really expensive, and won't work in Windows.

I'd suggest trying to build everything you need separately and them put them all together. record and screen grab what you need to screen grab, then import that file into your editor.

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    What you could do is just build any graphics you need using the free Pixlr,

Image building isn't the problem. Video building is~
    and then import those as images and fade them in via iMovie, etc?

Unfortunately I can't be locked into any OS X-specific tools.
    Otherwise, I think you may wanna look into nabbing Final Cut Pro Studio - which has most of those features, but is really expensive, and won't work in Windows.
    Again, no Windows, and super outside of my budget.
    I'd suggest trying to build everything you need separately and them put them all together. record and screen grab what you need to screen grab, then import that file into your editor.

I appreciate the help, and don't mean to be rude, as I *am* the one asking for help, but I feel like you didn't read my requirements/desired features :(

Priest on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I'll throw out Camtasia, though I don't know what the edu cost is, it's $300 commercial, with a 'free' copy of Snagit included. It meets all your requirements besides cost and maybe #4.

Not sure if there's any old Adobe software that's free now? Giving away some of the old CS bundles, not sure if any have video tools.