As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the Endless Legend Thread and it Always Has Been

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    So is endless legend some kind of rts? The factions and world building seem neat, but I don't really know if it's a civ, or a total war. What is Endless Legend, besides a another game by the endless space peeps?
    Would someone who's only really played AOE2 and Starcraft 1 (very poorly), be able to enjoy it?

VayBJ4e.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    So is endless legend some kind of rts? The factions and world building seem neat, but I don't really know if it's a civ, or a total war. What is Endless Legend, besides a another game by the endless space peeps?
    Would someone who's only really played AOE2 and Starcraft 1 (very poorly), be able to enjoy it?

Fantasy Civ with crazy races is the best quick summary. It is a 4X game through and through. Not an RTS at all, everything is turn based.

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    It's much closer to Civ than Total War. The battles are fought with small numbers of units on small hex-based battlefields in an initiative-based turn order.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I really enjoy fantasy civs, and RTS are intimidating. Thanks for the info, Inquisitor!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    Even though I'm squarely in the Disappointed In Beyond Earth club, Endless Legend somehow wasn't on my radar until I played Dungeon of the Endless and was really impressed. Amplitude seems like a really promising studio, and I'm pumped to see what they do next, whether it's anything new for the two games I already love or anything else down the line.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    This stuff about Space Civ makes me sad because civ is fun but glad that I was able to not buy it like a compulsive spender

Endless legend is great though, I need to play that more I just have hundreds of hours of other games I also want to play first

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Yeah the point to point map makes exploring way less fun to me, and that is like my favorite X of 4X games

Interesting; my favorite X is "exploiting".

Still not sure why we're not saying "4E", though.

It's 4 Xtreme gamers.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Sid Meier's: Not Quite Beyond Civ5

Does anyone else have mixed feelings about the tech web?

I feel like it is... I don't know, I tend to feel like I'm wasting time every time I pick a new tech, nothing really feels like it's synergizing unless I'm completing something that has Harmony/Supremacy/Purity points on it and it matches up with my chosen path.

• KharnorKharnor Registered User regular
    Just finished my first game of Endless Legend

It was nice, but there was 0 challenge because the other factions just never attacked me, ever. That never seems to happen in Civ. I just got 5 cities, stocked them with archers, and sat there building my wonder while they squabbled. Hopefully it'll be a bit more engaging with a higher difficulty.

• cornellcornell Registered User regular
    Kharnor wrote: »

It was nice, but there was 0 challenge because the other factions just never attacked me, ever. That never seems to happen in Civ. I just got 5 cities, stocked them with archers, and sat there building my wonder while they squabbled. Hopefully it'll be a bit more engaging with a higher difficulty.

I've heard that's the one issue with the game, that you need to play on a much higher difficulty for any sort of challenge.

Kharnor wrote: »

This sounds like a perfect summary of the AI in Civ Beyond Earth to me.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    while I would be down for multiplayer I also don't want to wipe everyone out

• Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    AI is much more aggressive in EL if you play on Normal or anything higher. They especially won't hesitate to take advantage of a favorable opportunity early game in neutral territory while you're at Cold War--your lone scout unit low on movement points that comes across an enemy 2-unit army with a hero is as good as dead.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Captain K wrote: »
    AI is much more aggressive in EL if you play on Normal or anything higher. They especially won't hesitate to take advantage of a favorable opportunity early game in neutral territory while you're at Cold War--your lone scout unit low on movement points that comes across an enemy 2-unit army with a hero is as good as dead.

Unless you're Broken Lords, because you can just pump dust into them every turn after you run! I scuttled across the entire world with one unit, and it lost half its health every turn.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    A steak! wrote: »
    Captain K wrote: »

Unless you're Broken Lords, because you can just pump dust into them every turn after you run! I scuttled across the entire world with one unit, and it lost half its health every turn.

Game Tactic, or Retirement Home euphemism, you decide!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • KharnorKharnor Registered User regular
    So I played my second game on Serious difficulty as the merchant guys. I was doing pretty well until my next faction quest told me to take over a certain region. It was controlled by the Necrophages, who had a huge army but, again, stubbornly refused to go to war with me for the entire game. I'm not allowed to declare war as the merchant guys. You can't trade cities unless you're already at war. Maybe I could attack him with mercenaries, but I hadn't been buying any and near the end of the game it just removes all the mercenaries from the shop for no reason.

What was I supposed to do?

• GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I don't have Endless Legend, but according to this video, a market embargo is what roving clans use to force a war.

Edit: There is also a guide which gives an explanation for this quest. I'll spoiler it for those that don't want to know.
    Destroying the city is going to be difficult, and that for a simple reason - you cannot wage wars. What you can do though, is seize it by means of diplomacy. You simply need to offer the AI opponent to buy the city, or to exchange it for others. If you throw some Dust, or resources in, your offer will surely be accepted. Also, you can threaten the opponent around, a bit, and wait for him to declare war on you. At this point, you only need to retaliate.

Gokerz on
    causality.png
    What happens to your boroughs if you pick up your Roving Clans cities?

Please tell me they just stay there and you can sprawl in two places if you want.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Would be cool if my game would stop crashing

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    TheStig wrote: »
    Would be cool if my game would stop crashing

At what point does it crash?

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Usually end of turn

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    What happens to your boroughs if you pick up your Roving Clans cities?

Please tell me they just stay there and you can sprawl in two places if you want.

I did it when I had one borough, and it got packed up as well. I think you'll only pack up one, though. Any others would disappear.

you can move all of them, they take a turn to unpack I think. only moved a city once

I started a game as the Necrophages. Holy shit this is harder.

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    e: wrong thread, I'm sorry

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

Probably worth mentioning that Endless Legend is 33% off right now, may go on daily and be cheaper later but you may want to snag it on the last day of the sale if it does not and you are interested in the game.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Considering the transition this thread went into I think you might enjoy this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA6sVoEyb_A

I don't think anomalies are that hard to understand. they might have been in endless space where there were negative ones, but in legend anomaly = good. I might not know exactly what a tree of life does, but I can read that big list of resources and realize that yeah I want that.

Endless Legend is on daily sale on steam today.

Interesting. I don't really agree with some of his observations, especially re: the EL tech "web", which is not a "web" in any sense really.

Also, Endless Legend is 50% off today.

Yeah, I think he kinda forced Legend to fit into the tech web thing for the video.

I do agree with anomalies being something that slow the game down/complicate it because in my first game I was basically stopping to check them every time they were even half way relevant. Though I don't think they're as big a learning block as he's making them out to be.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Finally got around to installing Legend the other night and trying a couple hours, ( having it only be a couple hours was it's own immediate challenge too!)

What have you all done to me, this is not a game I should own, I have things in life I need to do, why do you all hate me!

Help

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Played through 2 full games so far, and finished the main questline on a third.
    I find it really engaging, and mostly because it actually manages to make me play for the story.

Looking back at some of the 4X games have played and what aspect stood out for me, I'd say I enjoyed Sins because of the pretty spacebattles. Endless Space because of the fun min maxing custom races and seeing their abilities play out in games. Rome 2 Shogun 2 because it's fun to get the good units and smash stuff.
    But Endless Legend so far stood out because I want to see how each faction's story goes. The leaders are all interesting characters and when I play them it is fun to help them succeed.
    In the first to games I played I attacked a total of one city, and only because it was required for a quest. I was far to invested in advancing the story to care about conquering stuff. It's really refreshing to have a 4x game that doesn't stress 'exterminate' over every other x. Which is also good because conquering seems to be one of the less interesting/balanced parts of the game.
    Leave the other nations to their petty squabbles, mine has a destiny to fulfil!

causality.png
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I wonder if all three Endless games are in the same universe. They seem to be using the same backstory for each.

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    I'm still not even entirely certain if I like this game, I spend most of my time loading it up and going "Holy FUCK this art style is great"

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Modded a mod to generate a 120 x 180 map ("Very Huge"). Biggest map normally is 80 x 120. I will not be happy until my 4x games have minecraft sized worlds!

Edit: This world is more unstable than the ring world. Do not recommend unless you have a great graphics card and are willing to sacrifice some graphics for a massive world to conquer.

Dedwrekka on
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    I wonder if all three Endless games are in the same universe. They seem to be using the same backstory for each.

Yeah they definitely are in the same universe

The vaulters are definitely a crashed human colony ship or something, the drakken were uplifted by the endless, the endless cult is whatever was left behind by the endless, and I'm sure the rest of the races were somehow influenced by the endless being there

the dungeon of the endless thing might even just be the story of a crashed shuttle from the same ship the vaulters came down in (or looks like it from the trailer, I havent played dungeon of the endless cause I'm bad at rogue-likes)

2x39jD4.jpg
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Yeah they definitely are in the same universe

The vaulters are definitely a crashed human colony ship or something, the drakken were uplifted by the endless, the endless cult is whatever was left behind by the endless, and I'm sure the rest of the races were somehow influenced by the endless being there

the dungeon of the endless thing might even just be the story of a crashed shuttle from the same ship the vaulters came down in (or looks like it from the trailer, I havent played dungeon of the endless cause I'm bad at rogue-likes)

The vaulters are what came out of the ship that crashes in Dungeon.

Just had a weird game on impossible. The AI in my games normally loves to declare war, rapidly creating a big clusterfuck of everyone vs everyone, especially me.
    Except this time.
    My first game playing Drakken, fast speed, 6 players. It started badly. I started in a bad position, both exits from my island blocked by other empires. I couldn't expand at all, and as it is on impossible, the AI expanded incredibly quickly.
    The entire game I was stuck at three provinces, never got more than that. Except, unlike my other games, the AI this time was exactly as peace loving as I have often been told. I was far behind on science, at least 3 tiers at the end, but it didn't matter at all. Every empire except for the Necrophages offered me an alliance the moment they could, often paying me a lot for the honor.
    Noone ever declared war on me, I only had to force an alliance with another faction once at the next to last turn, and by turn 104 I had won the diplomatic victory. Didn't even get to finish the questline.
    It was just... weird. Especially considering how war happy the AI had been in most of my other games.

causality.png
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I haven't managed to start a game yet so I don't know what I'm talking about, but do you think it was a function of how small you were compared to them/how far removed you were? You said you were stuck on an island so maybe that gave you a necessary space so you weren't right up on their borders/large enough to threaten them/a juicy enough target to attack

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus