As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Payday 2] Ron Perlman joins the crew! THE BIKER PACK available now!

RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPERHOTRegistered User regular
edited June 2016 in Games and Technology
yHDBqcll.jpg

LATEST DLC: Gage Ninja Pack. $4.99

UB1DHeel.jpg

PA Crime Time is the now-defunct Steam Group for all things PA Payday. Better off posting in the thread to find other heisters to join.

PAYDAY 2 is an action-packed, four-player co-op shooter that once again lets gamers don the masks of the original PAYDAY crew - Dallas, Hoxton, Wolf and Chains - as they descend on Washington DC for an epic crime spree.
The new CRIMENET network offers a huge range of dynamic contracts, and players are free to choose anything from small-time convenience store hits or kidnappings, to big league cyber-crime or emptying out major bank vaults for that epic PAYDAY. While in DC, why not participate in the local community, and run a few political errands?

Up to four friends co-operate on the hits, and as the crew progresses the jobs become bigger, better and more rewarding. Along with earning more money and becoming a legendary criminal comes a new character customization and crafting system that lets crews build and customize their own guns and gear.

Rob Banks with Friends – Players must choose their crew carefully, because when the job goes down they will need the right mix of skills on their side.

CRIMENET – The dynamic contract database lets gamers pick and choose from available jobs by connecting with local contacts such as Vlad the Ukrainian, shady politician "The Elephant", and South American drug trafficker Hector, all with their own agenda and best interests in mind.

PAYDAY gun play and mechanics on a new level – firing weapons and zip tying civilians never felt so good.

Dynamic Scenarios – No heist ever plays out the same way twice. Every single scenario has random geometry or even rare events.

Choose Your Skills – As players progress they can invest in any of four special Skill Trees: the Mastermind, the Enforcer, the Ghost and the Technician. Each features a deep customization tree of associated skills and equipment to master, and they can be mixed and matched to create the ultimate heister.

More Masks than Ever – PAYDAY 2 features a completely new mask system, giving players the ability to craft their own unique mask together with a pattern and a color combination.

Weapons and Modifications – A brand new arsenal for the serious heister, covering everything from sniper and assault rifles to compact PDWs and SMGs. Once you've settled for a favorite, you can modify it with optics, suppressors, fore grips, reticles, barrels, frames, stocks, all of which will affect the performance of your weapon. There are also purely aesthetic enhancements - why not go for the drug lord look with polished walnut grips for your nine?

Play It Your Way – Each job allows for multiple approaches, such as slow and stealthy ambushes, to running in guns blazing. Hit the target any way you want, and watch as the heist unfolds accordingly.

RisenPhoenix on

• Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    And now I can wear shades without doing infamy. Not that I care about it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Petition to change the thread title to: Guys, the Payday thread, go get it.

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    This is a mask simulator, why would you want to wear something as boring as shades?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Incidentally it's now impossible for anyone to start a sentence with the word guys and not have me mentally finish that quote.

So glad there's apparently more Bain VO happening.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Holy shit that is a lot of changes

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    Someone appears to have found the number of perk points per rank, as well as the conversion rate (which varies with level)

So, that's about 8,200,000 experience to cap out the first track and about 7.5 million xp for each one after that. That first is a little short of the same experience needed to level from 1 to 79. Getting two is about on par with getting to 91. Getting all of them is about even with getting to I-91 from level 1.

Not an awful grind, but no where near as short as getting the first couple makes it seem

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Is there seriously a fucking John Wick DLC? I want to play as Keanu.

• Options
    Bubby wrote: »
    Is there seriously a fucking John Wick DLC? I want to play as Keanu.

Yes and it's free.

Though the VA we think is Viklund doing his Keanu impression.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    The VA for Wick is amazing.

Not because it sounds anything like Keanu.

But because it is the most super-dense slice of ham acting ever. If someone were to redub a cheap Japanese action movie, this is the kind of voice acting I would expect. It is a thing of glory to behold.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    You apparently get Payday 2 for free by buying a ticket to John Wick. Might be something to plug into the OP.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Syrdon wrote: »
    Someone appears to have found the number of perk points per rank, as well as the conversion rate (which varies with level)

So, that's about 8,200,000 experience to cap out the first track and about 7.5 million xp for each one after that. That first is a little short of the same experience needed to level from 1 to 79. Getting two is about on par with getting to 91. Getting all of them is about even with getting to I-91 from level 1.

Not an awful grind, but no where near as short as getting the first couple makes it seem
    That it persists through infamies makes it a lot bearable, though. I'm holding off from converting until I hit Infamy III to see if I can carry over points-to-convert as well (like 6,000,000/100 at level 0, that might be enough for every track or at least 2 of them).

EDIT: Hahaha holy shit, did higher levels of infamy always have a special theme for it or did they just add that with the newest patches? The first two weren't really memorable, but the third it's like a 80s hair metal riff, all WA-WA-WA-WA WA-WA-WA-WA Infamoooooous, Level Three (three! three! three!)

EDIT: Aw, there's no point in hoarding exp for perk decks until you go infamous again, once you're there it's 1000:1 ratio even at level 0.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    The "Why did you add John Wick" post is at the top of Payday subreddit right now. But apparently we can't complain, since it's a free DLC.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eh I'm mixed. I think it's fine to say you don't like the content (and I mostly agree that the whole DLC isn't anything special). I'm just not a fan of the 'Overkill is literally the worst company for choosing this as part of the free content they give us' line that some people in the community seem to spout.

• Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Eh I'm mixed. I think it's fine to say you don't like the content (and I mostly agree that the whole DLC isn't anything special). I'm just not a fan of the 'Overkill is literally the worst company for choosing this as part of the free content they give us' line that some people in the community seem to spout.

Yeah... pretty much how i feel...

Although i do agree with the whole 'Clearly overkill was lying about the 'if you don't reach it you won't get it!~~/won't be free!' stuff for the 'super secret' thing... do they expect us to believe they'd just break off the deal with a 'Sorry our stupidly high goal for community numbers wasn't reached so, we are canceling this entire deal kthnx.' to a pretty big Movie company?

I mean, i assume this deal was sorted before/around the time that they put up crimefest, i doubt it was a last minute 'Hey, lets quickly throw this together!' these kind of deals take time, it kind of reeks of the 'secret payday thing that is actually just us plugging making a Walking dead game' Deal, which stinks and i think is a fair cop.

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Heroth wrote: »
    I mean, i assume this deal was sorted before/around the time that they put up crimefest, i doubt it was a last minute 'Hey, lets quickly throw this together!' these kind of deals take time, it kind of reeks of the 'secret payday thing that is actually just us plugging making a Walking dead game' Deal, which stinks and i think is a fair cop.
    According to imdb, the guy that voiced him did it in

The main problem is that it's a character. You can really avoid him, unless you kick everyone who uses him. His voiceover is pretty bad and the fact that he uses full name instead of alias doesn't help either.

Redthirst on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jesus McChristJesus McChrist Registered User regular
    I think the lore of PD2 which includes self insert, black guy, brother of american guy and american guy isn't exactly in danger in the presence of movie guy, though.

And I think likely if the 1.5 wasn't met, it'd have been paid DLC like the Miami heist, which people would've been even pissier about.

if you can read this i hope you have a good day partner
  • Options
    Well, people are just upset, that two times already the most hyped up piece of content turns out to be a promotion to another franchise. And the fact that he's not voiced by Keanu Reeves doesn't help either.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Man I had fun playing at Wick last night, and they added some new sunglasses to the masks too.

But holy shit was CrimeNet full of geese last night: I would join games, get kicked. And people don't realize without tier bonuses they are not bullet sponges anymore.

• Options
    People are kicking guys for playing Wick.

Which is super retarded because if you're chosen primary character is taken already you get a random character, which may well be Wick.

Pubs gonna pub.

• Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    It's.... Payday.

Like come on, the whole thing is just made up of parodies and salutes to other stuff, goofing it out along the way. What's the problem with a hammy impression of Keanu Reeves in your games?

• Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    This is the Internet. People will get upset at anything.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Ihave no problem with Wick but the implementation could've been better. I think a HEAVY nod towards the movie/character instead of literally John Wick would've been a better idea.

See also: No Mercy. No Mercy would be pretty off-putting if, for example, you'd literally be fighting zombies. Or if for no reason one of the survivors permanently joins the payday gang.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Well, yet again the expectations were too high. People thought that a 30-day countdown would be something epic. We got a bat and an announcement for a zombie game to be released in two years.
    The highest goal for 1.5 million members, shrouded in mystery, locked behind a winking smiley. We get a promotion of an unrelated movie.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh yeah, and it seems like concealment on that new perk wasn't bugged. They just changed it to from 5 to 1 for some reason. So even with Rogue deck I won't have 3 detection risk with my loadout. So they pretty much want us to use worse weapons for stealth, but at the same time they add armor bag? Strange.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    Ihave no problem with Wick but the implementation could've been better. I think a HEAVY nod towards the movie/character instead of literally John Wick would've been a better idea.

See also: No Mercy. No Mercy would be pretty off-putting if, for example, you'd literally be fighting zombies. Or if for no reason one of the survivors permanently joins the payday gang.

I feel like Overkill could go Killing Floor levels of crazy with adding characters and I would love every minute of it.

• Options
    MrDelish wrote: »

I feel like Overkill could go Killing Floor levels of crazy with adding characters and I would love every minute of it.

That would be pretty strange. Overkill pushed the whole idea of lore in Payday pretty hard with 2. In PD:TH we only had some basic backstory on heisters, and no one really cared about lore. Here, we know more about them, we have webseries, all those live-action trailers and contacts. With John Wick they pushed their own lore aside. Of course, they can go the Killing Floor route and add all sorts of strange new characters, but what is the point of creating lore if you are not going to respect it?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I'm the sort of person who modded L4D2 to be Ezio, Lara Croft, Wrex, and Isaac Clarke (Dead Space) being chased by Macho Man at Christmas time. Unless it's a narrative focused single player game, I don't really care about the lore.

• Options
    I'm the sort of person who modded L4D2 to be Ezio, Lara Croft, Wrex, and Isaac Clarke (Dead Space) being chased by Macho Man at Christmas time. Unless it's a narrative focused single player game, I don't really care about the lore.

The thing is, they modded the game. So they wanted it. Here, no one is asking if you want to hear Wicks VA or look at his model all the time. The game gives you no way of disabling it. That's why people are pissed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular
    One extra achievement got added (total 220 now vs. 219 a few days ago), but there's no description yet. Maybe something involving Akimbo?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqoob2gAIPY

Actually one of the better live action trailers IMO.

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    I really like the actor for Dallas though

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    One extra achievement got added (total 220 now vs. 219 a few days ago), but there's no description yet. Maybe something involving Akimbo?
    Given that today adds clowns masks 3 and 4, I suspect it will be related to using all of them on some heist.
    Redthirst wrote: »
    MrDelish wrote: »

That would be pretty strange. Overkill pushed the whole idea of lore in Payday pretty hard with 2. In PD:TH we only had some basic backstory on heisters, and no one really cared about lore. Here, we know more about them, we have webseries, all those live-action trailers and contacts. With John Wick they pushed their own lore aside. Of course, they can go the Killing Floor route and add all sorts of strange new characters, but what is the point of creating lore if you are not going to respect it?
    Throughout Payday 2's development, Overkill has struck me as not knowing exactly what they want to do with the game. Or possibly that they've got at least two different ideas of what they want to do with it, and they keep switching back and forth between them. They certainly try to push this strong element of story with the game, but they also make decisions that are clearly driven by marketing or other business needs. Neither of these are bad, but the abrupt switches they do from one to the other are fairly glaring (and, even better, could probably be smoothed over if they were to just take more time to consider things before kicking them out the door. but that's a topic for another post).

Syrdon on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    edit and post are not the same button

Syrdon on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I think in part David Goldfarb was having certain effects on their production process that are now gone.

The exp/loot changes just so happened to coincide with him leaving, if you want a bit of conspiracy theory.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's been brought up before here, too. And I think there's a lot of meat on that rumor bone...

• Options
    edited October 2014
    FF Day 1 is out. It's FF Day 1. With "preplanning", so movable ammo bags/med bags... lord knows why you would need that for a 5 minute heist, but hey, it's there.

Also 3 heist days (Watchdogs day 1 and 2, Big Oil day 1) now avaiable at night or day, determined randomly - no gameplay changes.

:?

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    FF Day 1 is out. It's FF Day 1. With "preplanning", so movable ammo bags/med bags... lord knows why you would need that for a 5 minute heist, but hey, it's there.

Also 3 heist days (Watchdogs day 1 and 2, Big Oil day 1) now avaiable at night or day, determined randomly - no gameplay changes.

Seems... half-assy.

• Options

I think that pre-planning on FF day 1 will still be better than pre-planning on Hotline Miami.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    I mean, saw it coming and i guess its fair enough... but the exp on the FF day 1 is pretty horrible... i mean, yeah its a five minute job even without ECM rushing but yeah...

Also, come across a new (to me) bug in a Firestarter just now, last day, one guy threw the thermal into the box and a second went to set it up but because of ~lag~ picked the bag up so the drill set up disappeared so we could no longer set up the drill... Was a pro job aswell ;_;

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    Redthirst wrote: »

I think that pre-planning on FF day 1 will still be better than pre-planning on Hotline Miami.

The sad thing is, you're probably right.

Like, seriously. HM Day 2 - not a single asset location on the place you're going to spend >50% of the heist on.

Day 1 has 3 no-brainer assets, leaving room for an incredible bonus of 1 ammo bag, med bag or grenade bag.

steam_sig.png