As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Payday 2] Ron Perlman joins the crew! THE BIKER PACK available now!

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I fundamentally disagree with the notion that less things should be viable at endgame just so that the lower difficulties aren't as easy. If anything, the solution there is to make the adjustment to the lower difficulties so a variety of viable choices can remain at the endgame.

I don't think this conversation will really be able to go anywhere, because we're both looking at things from different angles.

In other news, apparently you can only decapitate Cloakers with the Katana if you are playing as Jiro. Apparently he also has special lines for melee kills or something.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    You know what should only be in Deathwish heists? Turrets. Because turrets give me Tourettes, having to deal with that shit when I'm trying to do a gold bank heist on HARD. Turrets can lick my ballsack.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I did convert a turret on day 2 of framing frame that covered me while I gleefully moved my bags of money.

I think that's the only time I didn't hate them so much that I almost gave myself an ulcer.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Turrets are fine on most heists. The spawns on bank are the obnoxious ones alot of the time because they'll be right where you need to carry gold across and that aint fun.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Convert...a turret? You can do that? I had no idea!

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Employ an ecm anywhere on map, no skills needed.

• Options
    Yet another DLC coming out Thursday, having only been 3 weeks since the last one. Medieval weapons. Looks like a crossbow, longbow, sword, axe, and shield maybe?

Ok then.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXFHTfgTCNE

So, I took up grinding some achis a few weeks ago. Most of them I've had lying around since release and thought of as tough as shit to get, but they weren't that bad really (there's happened a lot to this game since those days of yore, I guess)! I thought I could as well write up a little how-to about some of them. These should all be readily soloable, and done on normal difficulty to minimize opposition.

This build will do a good job dealing with all of these. Lots of armor, lots of hp and regen and improved armor recovery on top of that. Ammo bags will never be used, they're just filler, so you can freely switch those points over to shotgun skills if that's what you want instead. I'm more of an AR (Car-4 with a quadmag and decent acc/stability for example) person though, as quickly picking off people at long range will be a necessity.

acda7ac453050557e58e852b0db96b0f61e69c15.jpg
    I Am the One Who Knocks
    This one is almost the easiest one, which I really didn't expect. You can cover most, nearly all of the house with 2 turrets and patrol the outside yourself. The sentry placements I found to be best ones are marked out with x1 and x2.
    2q0jz3d.jpg
    x1 will cover the cliffside entrance as well as both the nearby long and short sides of the house. The little cliff corner it's placed in will screen out cops out on the road as this would otherwise empty the ammo pool immediately. This is the sentry that will do the heavy lifting and therefore require the most reloading and, if you have the time, you should help it out by killing some of the reinforcements coming in from the road.
    x2 should cover the other entrance, you might have to experiment with an optimal placement since I don't remember exactly where I put it. :( It also keeps an eye on cops trying to climb up that short side of the building, as planks will have a priority on the top floor cliffside windows. The little storage house it's next to should act as a screen towards the road and the yardside next to it, since this is a heavily populated area.

You can put down any c4 on the stairs and may be some window climbing spots to act as insurance.

The cops'll have helicopter transports which are of note on this map. One will drop off a bulldozer at point A, and I prefer to stand ready for him and quickly finish him off with a salvo in the face as otherwise he'll eat too much x2 turret ammo for comfort. The other heli is more of a direct threat to the objective though, as it will rappel down swat officers onto the balcony from above the house. These should be killed mid-rappel, there's usually 2 of them but I might have seen 2 "waves" coming out of the same heli at some point.
    You should see both helicopters clearly though if staying at the backside of the house, area B, and anticipating their cargo. Area B is the best place to spend most of the time on imo, exterminating any cops coming over the fence or jumping down the cliffs, as long as you also keep a regular eye on the front yard from the cliffside cellar entrance. From here you'll easily spot any helicopters as well. Nothing says you can't do short patrol routes to keep check on things though, reload sentries or deal with cooking or ingredients, but the sentries really should be able to handle anything on their sides of the house. The critical exception is the occasional Shield that might wander in from the street. These should preferrably be killed off before walking into sentry x1's firing range.
    Even with reloading 2 sentries you should never really be starved for ammo. The Motherforker is a good fast melee weapon that'll make short work of normal diff cops if you're hard pressed for ammunition.

Bain will announce if any cops manages to get into the house, and if not the achi will pop as soon as you're done with the third bag.

1303547.jpg
    They see me Baggin', They Hatin
    This is a somewhat grindy thing, if you're not lucky as hell. No escape or wrong escape will unfortunately be the standard. But the only sensible place trying to do this on is Transport: Harbor, you'll need at least 3 vans so just restart if there's fewer than that.

We want to maximize the escape risk so first thing you should be doing is run out to the dock side and off every civ you find there, usually 3-5 dudes. They'll normally be running past the crane out to the street or into the thin, far-off alley between the Legitimate Business Ltd. brick building and the Taurus Bully workshop. Every civ killed adds 5% risk for an escape being triggered. After that immediately blow one of the vans since the dropoff vehicle is triggered by the first bag you pick up. Also, after you got the 8 bags make sure you move into the escape zone during an active assault phase, as this also adds to the escape chance.
    Other than that this should be easy pickings with ICTV/muscle, saw and C4, done in 4-6 minutes.

1256977.jpg
    King of the Hill
    This is another escape achi so getting there is the first issue. Armored Transport, Diamond Store, Ukrainian Job, Four Stores, Nightclub and Framing Frame d1 all have the chance of triggering a Park escape so just go with the one you'll be done with the quickest. Either Ukrainian or 4stores but I haven't done any testing which one beats the other. As with Transport: Harbor make a bloodbath off of civs and get out of there during assault phase to maximise escape chance.

The critical necessity here is 2 turrets, which should be placed at two diametrically opposed corners, just outside the park wall so the sentries can fire down both streets. Maybe set up the c4 at commonly used "climb spots" over the wall? After that it's just about running around outside the park, preferably next to the cop spawn zones, so they don't try to shortcut through the park to get to you, and kill them off until the van show up.
    Luck is somewhat involved in no copper slipping through the net if you're alone in doing this, otherwise you can just split up sitting tight at the sentry corners and cap everyone coming close to the park, so it might take a few tries getting it done solo. Achi pops when the van arrives, just restart if it doesn't.

2zny8np.jpg
    Precision Aiming
    This one really was a pain, before I discovered the trick to it. Much thanks to the Gewehr being such an incredibly shitty weapon... People used to spend ~10 minutes hoping for a helidropped dozer on Rats d1 or something with this... Fortunately, these days there is a so much better way: Meltdown normal! There will always be a dozer in one of the containers. So just run in, shoot that fucker in the face and restart. Should be done in a 90 seconds or less.

If you're up for it, Meltdown is also the best farming spot for those "bring down a dozer with melee" achis, but those are even more of a hassle...

Hope I didn't forget anything! Glhf!

Panda4You on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I tried to get there bagging and hating I even took and saw and I am always a mule/muscle bag tosser
    Alas they thought I was dumb sitting on 4 bags in the van as they shot their way to it
    This is one of the many reasons I just gave up on the game

• Options
    I'm surprised a DLC came out so early this month when we know there is another update coming in two weeks to add the new GenSec enemy and FBI files.

I guess it had to be timed with the Chivalry sale or something?

Anyways, it was hinted at in the last update when they put the medieval banners up on the museum for the Diamond, so people were kind of expecting this one. Today's update apparently also changed the "under construction" room from the Diamond to have a medieval exhibit, though it is still partly under construction (and the two paintings you could steal from that room are now in a different part of the room).

Also, the achievements for the masks in today's DLC suck. They even brought back the "beat a heist with 4 players who are all wearing masks from the DLC" type of achievement that everybody hates and thought we were done with a long time ago since they had stopped including them.

Overall, probably not buying this DLC for now and will see if it goes on sell next month during Crimefest. I am curious about the new GenSec enemy update that's coming up soon though.

• Options
    I'm hoping so much for PD1 heists coming this crimefest. I know I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment but it would be such a neat way of getting tons of "new" content and there isn't much else to cling onto right now.

And I'll have to agree on that this new weapon dlc looks tepid at best. it might have some use if you have disposable income and really need to be a bankrobbing LARPer I guess?

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    I'm baffled by this whole medieval weapons pack. It's so thematically wrong for the game as to be genuinely absurd. What's next, a DLC with laser guns and mech suits? Or maybe just a patch that includes the kitchen sink as a melee weapon...
    fonz_shark.jpg

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I'm baffled by this whole medieval weapons pack. It's so thematically wrong for the game as to be genuinely absurd. What's next, a DLC with laser guns and mech suits? Or maybe just a patch that includes the kitchen sink as a melee weapon...
    fonz_shark.jpg
    The part that really baffles me is that a bigass heavy crossbow is hilariously more concealable than a GL40, which is basically a tube with a handle.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    fonz_shark.jpg

This makes me want a Shadowrun mod for Payday now.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I mean, Payday's kinda wacky these days.

But I can't help but feel I'd rather just not have more DLC and instead get a whole look at weapon balance and combat mechanics/difficulty levels/crime.net/card rewards/the whole fucking game as it spirals more and more out of control with every new element added to it.

• Options
    Well we *did* get a DLC consisting of a minigun, flamethrower, RPG, and rotary grenade launcher before that. So yeah, they have been going off the deep end for awhile in that regard.

• Options
    Sure, in the heist planning screen all that medieval bullshit may seem jarring but you won't notice it while playing.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    Well we *did* get a DLC consisting of a minigun, flamethrower, RPG, and rotary grenade launcher before that. So yeah, they have been going off the deep end for awhile in that regard.

That was also the point at which I stopped playing.

Related? Mayyyybe...

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I will always be grateful to payday for putting the dodge playstyle out there. Hopefully that'll make a dent in the ubiquitous cover/blindfire tactics dominating every FPS nowadays

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    I will always be grateful to payday for putting the dodge playstyle out there. Hopefully that'll make a dent in the ubiquitous cover/blindfire tactics dominating every FPS nowadays
    There's also the Grinder perk now, being a sort of middle-of-the-road between dodge and armor. You regen hp so quick with it that you can make short excurisions out into enemy fire but still be at full hp as long as you play carefully for a few seconds after that, and the longevity this lends is nothing short of amazing.
    The perk can both be combined with dodge or a light armor setup, thanks to the lbv and fug.

• Options
    The medieval pack is a cross-promotion with a game called Chivalry.

In concept, they don't really bother me. I mean, we've been able to melee people with a stack of cash, boxing gloves, and the arm of a slots machine so some medieval weaponry isn't really that far out there. Especially since they kind of offered a canon explanation for it being loot in the Diamond that could have been stolen from the exhibit (unlike the Western pack which was basically...the Butcher likes cowboy movies I guess?).

That said, I'm also not terribly interested in picking it up right now (especially knowing there's probably a big sale right around the corner with Crimefest in a few weeks). Maybe if I'd ever played Chivalry it'd be different.

Almir recently created a thread on the Payday reddit asking about what people were expecting for Crimefest and giving out some masks codes. Someone mentioned having Payday 1 heists ported over, and Almir replied with:
    Hahaha, these PAYDAY: The Heist heists... I don't know guys. It's a ton of work making those interesting / work in PAYDAY 2.

Here's a code for giving me blast to the past nostalgia.

Then another posted about it and he replied:
    Haha! ;)

Note that right before the Car Shop heist released, he also specifically made mention of driving being impractical in the game, so coupled with all the files people have been finding recently, I have a feeling that they're probably coming. Maybe not all at once though.

• Options
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Two days away and still not entirely clear on what the FBI Files even are.

The new enemy is "the Captain" I guess though, but don't know much about it other than the concept art shows them carrying a shield. It's also possible the enemy is always Captain Winters, which would presumably mean it can only spawn once per map.

Unexpectedly excited about the overhaul of the Inventory system, especially since it looks like we'll now be able to change Skills and Perk Decks through it.

Also the "Simmons" that the Mayor called is actually the Elephant, so I wonder how involved he is with this, or if he's the reason that Agent Smith planted the spy cam in Garrett's office.

Lars on
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    overkillsoftware.com/games/fbifiles/

I like this comic book thing going :3

Panda4You on
  • Options
    Sigh I failed so many runs so far why are people so greedy when you have no med kits and no ammo left but we can get one more bag
    Or in stealth the guard's ai seems to have them dick around anymore
    I am so close to level 6 but I feel I am never going to get it

• Options
    edited September 2015
    The pub-build is grinder/inspire/aced meds/car4.
    You won't go down, you'll keep up the other fuckwits and you'll never need an ammobag. You'll hoover up ammo drops before anyone else in the suit, and it'll give you decent dodge with 10pts fug/sprinter.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Day 2 is up, no solid information on what he's capable of, but we have more background information on Captain Winters now, as well as a better picture of him. Hella patriotic, having the Great Seal of the United States on his chest like that.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Patch is live, captain winters, whatever it is the FBI files are, and new inventory system.
    :edit: site is getting hammered, looks like the FBI files are at http://fbi.overkillsoftware.com/

NEO|Phyte on
  • Options
    The FBI files are a separate website that combines the function of the PD2Stats.com fansite with a general database. It also has some flavor lore, like Garrett's emails and his comments on each of the heists and such.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    I like Winters! It's up to the player to make an assessment of "can we handle infinite assault with buffed cops", if you're close to the escape, vs taking out a fuckton of boofed shields. Though tbh the various dlc weaponry doesn't make it too much of a deal to eliminate them? But I'll admit I've only seen him on ovk, haven't played a lot of dw this weekend, and I can imagine the impact he's having on the game on that setting will be a bit more severe?
    That he's only supposed to show up on "big heists" fits the setting as well, but I was surprised by one of those being Xmas? :) I like the random element of him showing up, he's a cool little new feature simply put.

Edit: Oh, and the new inventory's a good overhaul! Especially in making the perks more visible, since running with 0/9 Crew Chiefs were more the rule rather than an exception. Extra inventory slots were quite welcome (masksss!) and having more of it visible on-screen is nice as well.
    Not much game-changing stuff in this patch, more ease-of-living and nifty details.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    I did not like how the new inventory messed up what weapons I had where. other than that I like it it's neat and far easier to use in a pinch.
    I like how winters shows up but not when it's going south or when he is right on top of you. He shows up all the time in a loud deathwish run.

Sadly I keep getting idiots in runs I really find people to do this with instead of the ugly run over and over.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »

?

This is the site from last year, is there a reason you posted this? :D

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Mother of fuck, I thought they'd launched a new one for this year. Never saw that page last crimefest.

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    What about it?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Godammit, you were quicker on the draw... :<

Time to equip the bottle I guess

• Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Weird. That site gives me an error page in Swedish. Assuming it's not some weird ARG I think it's down.

• Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Weird. That site gives me an error page in Swedish. Assuming it's not some weird ARG I think it's down.

Yeah, site got absolutely hammered, try http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:kAFSrnwWY4AJ:www.overkillsoftware.com/games/roadtocrimefest/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

• Options
    Jeeebus, 2 gazillion cloakers in 48 hours? glhf
    The rest seems possible tho