As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ryan Davis Memorial Giant Bomb Thread

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Bah, you alcohol snobs:

Skip to 9:02
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f_dxLiuXuw&t=9m2s

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Crayon wrote: »
    Khavall wrote: »
    Crayon wrote: »
    Finally watching UPF. Wow, that entire board knows nothing about whiskey or even proof. Kind of weird for a group of people that tend to drink a lot (mostly pointed at Dan).

Yeah it's really weird watching them talk about booze while clearly knowing, like, nothing about booze.

Rorie explaining that you have to water whiskey down to 40 proof was almost as offensive as Dan mixing it with Surge

I don't even know a bourbon that is 70 proof. Bottom shelf comes in at about 80 and most middle tier sits at 90 to 100. And it's also hilarious to describe a pilsner as "really light." Ummm...yeah, that's like a super given.

Yeah, it's pretty clear that they're saying 'proof' when they actually mean ABV.

EVEN THEN, suggesting that the point of adding a few drops of water to any sort of sour mash/whiskey/bourbon/scotch/rye so that you're "Watering it down" to an 80 proof is... just....

no

Khavall on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Alcohol is for jerks.
    It's basically anime you can drink

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Bah, you alcohol snobs:

Skip to 9:02
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f_dxLiuXuw&t=9m2s

I mean.....

Whiskey isn't a hard thing to understand.

Really, if you know that the different types of Whiskey are so named because they come from different places, that's a good head start. And if you know that the different types have very distinct tastes then even better.

Here's a quick guide:
    Scotch: From Scotland. Traditionally very strong flavour that is great to sip and enjoy.
    Whiskey: Normally without any other nomenclature this denotates that it's from Ireland. Smoother than Scotch. Some people prefer it sipping-wise, but Irish whiskey is also great for shots.
    Bourbon: From Kentucky. Fantastic for shooting and pretty ok for mixing
    Rye: Normally this term indicates that it's a Rye Whiskey, from Canada. Super Smooth. Amazing for mixing. Amazing for mixing.

That should get you at least through the basics.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Alcohol: From who cares. Tastes like so what get drunk already.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Yeah, I hate the flavor of alchohol. If I'm drinking it's exclusively to get drunk, and the less throat-burning the better. I hate the feeling of strong alchohol going down your throat.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I don't drink much but when I do it's Bahama Mamas

Mixed drinks are the shit

• Options
    Yeah, I hate the flavor of alchohol. If I'm drinking it's exclusively to get drunk, and the less throat-burning the better. I hate the feeling of strong alchohol going down your throat.

Straight liquor has so many flavours

What alcohol have you drank straight?

Heck, I used to dislike vodka, right up until I went to an Ice bar in Norway and had some super cold, top shelf Vodka straight. And then I went "Oh yeah ok I get this, this is pretty cool".

Like, yeah, if I'm drinking exclusively to get drunk, I'll go with whatever bottom shelf Rye exists(Stupid Canadian taxes making everything else so expensive) and is there, and mix it with some Coke Zero.

And if I'm feeling crazy or just want a nice smooth drink after a day without paying through the nose I'll go for some of the flavoured whiskey(Spicebox makes some amazing stuff, and Toasted Toffee Whiskey has become somewhat in vogue recently for the lower-cost whiskeys. It's kind of awesome).

But in a world where I have infinite money, a good scotch is just tasty

But I'm also a Scotch person. I'll drink good Vodka straight if it's sufficiently chilled, and if I can find good pairings I can enjoy wine, but I'm mostly a Scotch person.

Some people don't like Whiskeys, and that's fine.

But referring to straight liquor as "The flavour of alcohol" is just....

You haven't had good liquor.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I never really could figure out why people thought Vinny and Jeff's ads were funny

They were ads

Small business man was a good hook but it's not funny

Brad and Jeff's are no better or worse

The crunchyroll ad is the only funny one they've ever ever had because Jeff clearly thinks it is hilarious and is playing it up like crazy

It's almost like different people might find different things funny or something.

sigh.

Bubby on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Vodka, Crown Royal, Gin, Tequila, 151 and some kind of whisky that I don't remember now.

These days I just mix vodka in with soda and drink beer and occasionally I'll shoot some vodka when I need to catch up. (I hate doing that though.. the feeling of all the moisture in your throat being stripped way is one of my least favorite sensations that isn't flat-out pain)

• Options

Vodka, Crown Royal, Gin, Tequila, 151 and some kind of whisky that I don't remember now.

These days I just mix vodka in with soda and drink beer and occasionally I'll shoot some vodka when I need to catch up. (I hate doing that though.. the feeling of all the moisture in your throat being stripped way is one of my least favorite sensations that isn't flat-out pain)

I mean, like, there's nothing wrong with liking mixing either, that's a valid choice.

But I would recommend maybe trying some of the smoother Irish Whiskeys or Blended Scotch. Maybe something like Jameson. It's not the best, but it'll give you a general idea and boy it's smooth.

Also never drink straight Gin unless you know you like gin. However, Gin+Bitters and Gin+Tonic are two of my favourite drinks ever. They taste amazing.

It sounds like maybe you had some "party days" with straight booze and it made you not like it, mostly with shots and shitty versions of booze. I'll admit that I don't even understand people who like straight rum, and straight Vodka is something I only like if it's really good vodka and chilled as all fuck. Gin I would never drink straight, and Crown is basically the Jim Bean of Canadian Whiskey.

Also only 22-year-old white girls actually somehow like Tequila.

I'd just say that if you think straight liquor is "all the moisture in your throat being stripped away" then yeah that's probably just because you've had some low-quality stuff or tried just shooting it.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Tequilla is a lot like whiskey, there is a huge difference in between the cheapest stuff done as a shot and good sipping kinds, and there is also a lot of different flavor profiles between brands and how long its been aged.

Unfortunatly getting any of the good stuff outside Mexico itself can be a challenge.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Welp, thanks to this Metal Gear Scanlon I now know who Randy Johnson is and what happened with the bird

That poor bird :(

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Saying that if you don't like whiskey that is just fine but then stating that tequila is for 22 year old white girls is pretty dumb. Then again, tequila is part of my Holy Trinity (that also includes rum and whiskey) of liquors that I especially like so that declaration seems all the more sacrilegious to me because of that.

But there is also that tequila is the main ingredient in margaritas and given that those are basically alcoholic slushies they are pretty awesome. Tequila is also even simpler than whiskey in that if doesn't say "100 percent Agave" somewhere on the bottle then the quality is rather up in the air as opposed to being much more of a sure thing. Or, at least, it is something that you should use as a mixer and not something to really shoot or sip when it lacks those magic words. And if it comes in something that is shaped like a skull or has a cork top, chances are its pretty great, but also more expensive (that has been my experience in both regards anyway).

There is a bit to Undead Scottsman saying he doesn't like the taste of alcohol that is valid though. Alcohol is both kind of an acquired taste and also something you may not particularly care for until you find The One. There was a point in which I didn't care for alcohol and the most idiotic thing my friends did to get me to drink is go "durrrrp, here is a coke" and then it turns out they handed me an elixir that is 80 percent rum and 20 percent coke, or something along those lines. That is the kind or ratio I typically don't even care for now, much less when rum hadn't become one of my favorite things. The best thing to do if you actually want to enjoy alcohol and not just drink it to get drunk is start in the wading pool and not just jump into the deep end at some party.

(As far as shots of straight liquor go, Undead, I would suggest giving Fireball a try if you're ever shooting and its available. It isn't so much that a sense of throat burning is going to be completely absent, but the aftertaste is one of cinnamon candy. Its basically a liquified Red Hot.)

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I'm cool with whatever someone wants to drink, despite being a three fingers of bourbon and neat kind of guy. I don't mind in the least if I'm sitting next to a burly lumberjack drinking an appletini or a jack and coke. My snobbery really ends at me, but not knowing proofs of a bottle that literally has the number and the word proof on it is insaaaaaane. If I ever do cut bourbon it's always with just a little ginger ale for the bubbly fun.

Bookers is really really good and to see it mixed (especially with satans piss apparently) doesn't bother me in the least.

Crayon on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Bubby wrote: »
    I never really could figure out why people thought Vinny and Jeff's ads were funny

They were ads

Small business man was a good hook but it's not funny

Brad and Jeff's are no better or worse

The crunchyroll ad is the only funny one they've ever ever had because Jeff clearly thinks it is hilarious and is playing it up like crazy

It's almost like different people might find different things funny or something.

sigh.

So, any particular reason you're bringing that up several pages later, after I admitted that it was shitty of me to say and apologized? Or does acting superior on the internet just feel that good?

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Are the GotY podcasts dropping this week, or next?
    I want to listen to hours of argument

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So I'm listening to that 404 Podcast with Vinny and Alex on it. It's great to hear Vinny again after a Bombcast without him. Certainly not the same rapport with that crew (minus Alex, of course) but it's still quite good. Jeff Bakalar is great at moving subjects along briskly, but that might be because it's a Year in Review podcast and he has to move it along so they can get to everything.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Are the GotY podcasts dropping this week, or next?
    I want to listen to hours of argument

I think they start on Friday?

• Options
    I heard somewhere that they're dropping on the 25th or 26th.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Awesome. Thanks!
    The podcasts starting today would make the workdays more bearable before christmas break, but oh well. Can't win them all I suppose.

Back to audio editing!

• Options
    Awesome. Thanks!
    The podcasts starting today would make the workdays more bearable before christmas break, but oh well. Can't win them all I suppose.

Back to audio editing!

You listen to podcasts while editing audio? Doesn't that cause problems?

Also, if you guys want hints as to who is submitting GOTY lists this year, just check Twitter (people seem pretty open about it) and Alex's GB profile. He's got photos for some of the submitters. Looks like we're getting Xavier Woods again this year, and maybe a Hoodslam guy.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I hope it's Drugs Bunny!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Awesome. Thanks!

Back to audio editing!

You listen to podcasts while editing audio? Doesn't that cause problems?

Also, if you guys want hints as to who is submitting GOTY lists this year, just check Twitter (people seem pretty open about it) and Alex's GB profile. He's got photos for some of the submitters. Looks like we're getting Xavier Woods again this year, and maybe a Hoodslam guy.

Nah. I usually do audio editing when I don't have other stuff to listen to. I can operate reasonably well while livestreams are playing, but anything that requires a lot of attention doesn't work well for me.

I just keep the other volume lower than the stuff i'm editing so when I'm listening it's louder.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I just played through the end of MGS2. Man, I can not wait to see Drew's reaction.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    Alcohol is for jerks.
    It's basically anime you can drink

Alcohol is for gents and if there is any overlap here whatsoever anime would represent the hangover phase.

Vomit, headache, and just wishing it would go away.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Ugh...the episode playing on The Bombcast Rewind mixlr is the one before Ryan's wedding... :(

Edit:
    The following episode being the one with Sessler and "E3 Mysteries" helps to turn my frown upside down :)

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    I just played through the end of MGS2. Man, I can not wait to see Drew's reaction.

Oh hey someone else is doing this too

I'm actually going for the Platinum, which means all the dog tags

Which means every guard's dog tag on every difficulty

I already beat it on Very Easy the other day and I think I got all the tags, going through on Easy now, working my way up

This game is so perfect

• Options
    There was a discussion in the Mixlr chat on whether or not the creator thought to take out the Ryan memorial podcast.

It's a great podcast with a lot of funny moments, even for such a somber occasion, but it's not one you really want to be surprised with, you know? You want to listen to it on purpose, not by accident.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I listened to it at the time, it served its funerial-type purpose and I never plan on listening to it again.

• Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I listened to it at the time, it served its funerial-type purpose and I never plan on listening to it again.

Once was enough for me too. For a man I never met, his death hit me like a truck.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Forgot to mention, I finally finished the Persona 4 Endurance Run, since I finally got around to playing Persona 4. Anyone who hasn't seen that yet really, REALLY should. Holy shit there were so many great moments.
    Funky Student
    Fox and his "magic leaves"
    The reaction when Fox just showed up at the meeting in the Junes food court
    Jeff saying "What is even GOING ON??" at just about everything, especially Teddie's human form
    Random shoutouts to Ryan ("Hey Ryan, we're summoning Satan!")
    Ghoul just wanting to be loved
    "Are you a cop? You have to tell me if you're a cop"

I think my favorite joke in the whole run though was Yosuke being incredulous at the girls charging Teddie's clothes to his account and Jeff saying "well I just said to charge it to a biiitch, and here we are..."

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    I listened to it again a few weeks ago. It felt different now that some time has passed.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    WHERE IS MY METAL GEAR SCANLON

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Aww, they're still only doing the written top 10 lists this year

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Aww, they're still only doing the written top 10 lists this year

They did the same last year as well. Understandable, considering the circumstances, but there was no way they were going to be able to shoot 8 individual GOTY videos this year. Also not doing video gave them an extra week and a half to make personal lists.

And they've hinted that the stuff they did shoot is pretty awesome, so I'm excited to see how they utilized having three dedicated video guys (who aren't also shooting for Screened and Tested and Comic Vine at the same time). I wonder if they'll ever find a middle ground between the TV show parodies that were insanely tough to produce (I wish the scripts for those videos were still online somewhere: they used to be on the beta GB site) and last year's "sit on a couch wearing 5 different costumes" more bare bones production. I guess kinda like the FMV year.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Played Ground Zero. That is something.

Also I really suck at Metal Gear when I can't just set it to very easy.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I really hope they move ahead with Metal Gear Scanlon 3

Considering Drew's troubles with combat, I'd be really curious to see him take on CQC

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Penumbra wrote: »
    Ceno wrote: »

Once was enough for me too. For a man I never met, his death hit me like a truck.

My only cousin killed himself like 4 days after Ryan died.

That was a bad week.

aeNqQM9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.