As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Perfectly Innocent Anime Thread

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited October 2014 in Social Entropy++
hrMJ7SL.gif

They're finally back! That's right, this is the SE++ Anime Thread in which nobody will be infracted or banned for posting in! Yes, you can post about anime (and even manga) to your heart's content without fear of retribution from mods and their robot! I don't even know why you would even think that such a thing would happen, but I want to make absolutely sure that people will be infracted for posting in here. Not. Not be infracted. Yes, that is what I meant to say! So let's dive in, okay?

Anime, for those not familiar with "the lingo", are animated shows from Japan that are really cool and neat and I swear to god if you fuckers post about anime in here I'll haha what was I saying. Anyways, anime comes in a lot of different types, such as comedies, drama, romance, big fighting robots, and so much more! Many animes are actually adapted from mangas, which are basically Japanese comic books! So that's cool, right? Yup, pretty neat. Of course, there are things to worry about, such as the status of your account after Geth catches you the language barrier. Since animes are from Japan, they will be in Japanese and you have to decide how to deal with that. Sometimes they get professionally dubbed in English, but these aren't always very good! Subtitles are always an option, but not everyone is good at translating and sometimes the translation is too literate and stiff like your corpse is going to be. And of course one should always choose an age-appropriate anime, as some have adult themes and lots of violence. Hopefully, this thread will aid you in staying away from bad animes like that and you'll be a happy anime fan like all of the other nerd shitheads whoops why did I say that haha oopsie daisy! Just ignore it, because it will distract us from the wonderful land of animes! Anime: so fantastic. So fantastic.

Of course, every enthusiast of the craft has to start somewhere. You might be new to anime and thus wondering: "Rorus, how long will I be banned for posting in this thread?" and these answer is to watch the following ANIME RECOMMENDATIONS that should please everyone. These are three timeless series that just about everyone loves. I encourage everyone to post their own favorite series for newbies, and in return I won't delete your account, erasing every thread, post, and reaction making it as if you never existed. Nope, I won't do that at all. Why would you even think such a thing! That's paranoid! Stop being paranoid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA10XUaI3Mo
There's Cowboy Bebop, which everyone loves.

Dragon Ball Z is a classic for the ages! Some prefer the original Dragon Ball series, and that's okay with me!

Who doesn't remember Sailor Moon? A complete delight.

The Samurai Pizza Cats are awesome, and I will not hear otherwise.

Now, some of you might be thinking "Anime? That is for nerds. And also against the rules so I'm not going to get infracted for posting in here." To which I say: you are only half-right: anime has faced a lot of stigma for people that fear change and talking magic cats, but it's actually pretty cool for me to use as a way to callously issue infractions and you just have to give it a chance! Sure, not every anime is going to be good! Some are poorly written, and others have icky things like gratuitous violence and sexism. But is that so difference from Western animation? The answer is yes, because you won't get banned for posting about Wes- haha sorry lost my train of thought there. Where was I? Ah yes: anime is just another type of art, and you shouldn't judge a whole medium without sampling a bit of it. So I say: give anime a try. Preferably in a way that can be closely monitored.

Hey, before we go, you should check out the rules. We want this bold new era of anime threads to be fruitful and long-lived, so let's police ourselves to make that happen!
  1. Do not post about anime. You will be banned for posting about anime.
  2. Ignore rule #1. That was totally a joke.
  3. Seriously, don't post about anime or I will get Icy to remove your account from the database.
  4. Rule #3 is also a joke. Sorry, just joshing around!
  5. Badmouthing the Samurai Pizza Cats is strictly forbidden
  6. I shouldn't have to say this, but don't post hentai or any other kind of anime.
  7. In fact, don't be a creep in general. Weird shipping, the whole loli thing...we don't other reasons for people to be inf...uriated by anime. Haha, I covered that one up nicely, didn't I?
  8. Do not post links to illegal venues for anime or manga, or I will have to ban you twice. I mean once, because this is the only thing I'd be banning you for, right? Right.
  9. Please be careful with spoilers, and when posting them please mark the context so I know absolutely for sure that you are posting about anime.
  10. Seriously, do not fucking badmouth the Pizza Cats.

So enjoy this wonderful new period in SE++ history! I hope everyone that posts in here have long, fruitful posting careers, and I truly mean that in a sincere, unmenacing way!

YL9WnCY.png
Rankenphile on

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Geth, report in.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Eyes front, pond scum

• Options
    Haha, just checking! For reasons.

I don't think I'll be using him for anything! That would be weird, wouldn't it!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Everyone is unfamiliar with the term "honeypot", right?

Just curious. Don't dwell on it too much.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Raz, are you alright?

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Rorus which season of Sword Art Online do you like more

• Options
    GETH TERMINATE LALABO- Oh heeeeeeey, how are you doing? If you wanna, um, post about animes then be sure to do so near my chest. Please speak clearly when doing so!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Rankenphile on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    what are you doing, raz

this is madness

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    watch legend of galactic heroes

I will genuinely eat a ban in order to recommend logh

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Family Guy is my favorite anime

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    my favorite anime is house of cards

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    My head hurts so much right now.

I don't even know what to believe anymore.

• Options
    Dubh, if you could please list your favorite animes along with a list of other posters that have ever watched anime then it would be super cool, thanks!

Also a list of their fears and weaknesses would also be great for completely unrelated and not even remotely sinister reasons!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Obligatory linking of this:

Rankenphile on
  • Options
    let's just talk about ping pong, mushishi, nozaki and barakamon and shirobako while we can

let's just be sugoi together

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    I'm going to kiss your face off

• Options
    eat the cake anna mae

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    i

i liked death note?

sig.gif
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    so...naruto's finally ending

sure has been a ride for the last long while

• Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    i

i liked death note?

I like how you used the past tense

• Options
    My favorite cartoon is batman the animeted series

• Options
    Well I'm technically not watching it at this moment right now.

sig.gif
  • Options
    @SimBen, can you please give me a more confident response along with three kinds of torture that are likely to get an accurate response from you?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    i'm excited for this new dbz stuff

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Raz

You know that Cowboy Bebop is out on Blu-Ray in December, right?

I mention this because we all know that Cowboy Bebop transcends anime. It is good media, period.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Raz

I mention this because we all know that Cowboy Bebop transcends anime. It is good media, period.

It shares that pedestal with Ghost in the Shell.

• Options
    @SimBen, can you please give me a more confident response along with three kinds of torture that are likely to get an accurate response from you?

...no

sig.gif
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    Tal I need you to please refrain from using acronyms so I can fully determine what you are talking about.

For...conversational purposes? Yes, that should do the trick.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Attack on Titan was really popular with my students in Japan.

Especially my female students.

Especially my female elementary students.

Go figure.

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I watch parts of toonami when I get back in from work saturdays

I do not like hellsing ultimate

• Options
    Yes Inquisitor please take the heat off of all of us.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Anzekay wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Raz

It shares that pedestal with Ghost in the Shell.

And Legend of Galactic Heroes makes them both look like baby poop

(only half joking)

• Options

There was an episode of Supernatural where the bad guys tie up the boys and then one of them ripped Sam's fingernail off with a pair of pliers

Man that's a good show and I'm not bringing it up for any other reasons at all

• Options
    In a completely unrelated note, DarkPrimus was uh...selling pirated video games to toddlers.

SUCH A SHAME

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Haha I don't even care about my fingernails

I bet if someone removed them I wouldn't say anything at all

sig.gif
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    Tal I need you to please refrain from using acronyms so I can fully determine what you are talking about.

For...conversational purposes? Yes, that should do the trick.

sure

ssjg2 refers to super saiya-jin god two, son goku/kakarot's new form in the upcoming movie Dragon Ball Z: The Worst Wish in History

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Fingernails, who even needs them anyway?

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    The series finale of Space Dandy was legit one of the best TV series finales I've ever seen

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Attack on Titan was really popular with my students in Japan.

Especially my female students.

Especially my female elementary students.

Go figure.

Levi is apparently very popular with girls, despite being insane and all.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
This discussion has been closed.