As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CF Secret Santa 2014

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    whats the basis of Archipelago? It sounds like it could be interesting as the basic interaction between the guys in my gaming group is being huge dicks to each other.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Hope you enjoy it, @The Brayster‌!

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    whats the basis of Archipelago? It sounds like it could be interesting as the basic interaction between the guys in my gaming group is being huge dicks to each other.

Basically, it's a game for 4-6 players, with a theme of colonization. You are all effectively European powers, hitting a random mass of islands and exploiting the hell out of the island without upsetting the natives too much.

It's hex based, everyone starts with 2 meeples and a single ship on an open sea tile, then everyone places a hex down each of the first go to determine the initial beachhead. After that, more placements require specific exploration actions, with the entire landmass being uncovered slowly over the course of the game. Each new hex brings the possibility of new natural resources to collect.

Players will each have a secret condition they will strive for to gain Victory Points. ALL of these conditions count, so you need to try to guess what the other players might have to stay ahead. This could be anything from having the most of a certain resource, to having the most ports, to having the lowest unemployment figure etc. There's even a special card that allows a player to win if they manage to set of a native uprising (all players lose if no one has this card when this happens).

Players will spend their time trying to fine balance a bunch of variables. Crises occur every turn that demand the contribution of resources to keep the locals and the folks back home happy. The local market needs to be kept well stocked to deal with this, but not so stocked as to be wasteful and upset the locals. The foreign market (sending stuff back home) needs to be balanced so that the people see some results of the colonizing, but not so over-stocked as to cause exotic items to become worth little (and anger the locals who might want to keep some of it).

Unemployment needs to be managed. You want workers available so you can create more meeples from them. But too many unemployed will upset the locals.

So in short, explore some cool looking islands and get richer quicker than your friends, but don't upset the locals, even though everything that happens will probably upset them.

It also has a rad Single Player expansion, but it is brutally hard.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I come home to find another package on my doorstep!
    x4KLEfll.jpg?1

Gremlin too busy eating to help me out. I open it up to find:
    qtGwoojl.jpg?1

Awesome! What do I find inside?
    RuIhxWdl.jpg?1

This is really cool. Thank you very much for this, Secret Santa! King of Tokyo is a fantastic game that hits my table a lot, and now I will make everyone pay with a GIANT PANDA!

I check the tag and the adventure continues!!:
    jiTPh1Hl69Bft.jpg
    This is seriously the coolest thing ever. I will choose option C!

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
  • Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    How do I always miss the sign-up for this?
    Nov 7th?
    I'm still in my Halloween costume!
    (kinda)

stever777 on
    Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    Materials finally acquired ...
    Yessssssss ... It startssssss ...

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Hello Santee. You don't know who you are yet (well, I suppose you know who you are, but you don't know that I'm addressing you specifically), but I wanted to let you know that I've got all the pieces together for your christmas bomb.
    I still need to wrap stuff up, and address and ship it. But, progress is being made. Gifting will be god like.

Also, apropos of nothing, did you know that Toblerone makes a 400g bar? (For those of us in 'Murica, that's just shy of a full pound of delicious Swiss milk chocolate with honey and almond nougat)

see317 on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    D&Dear nerds, just wanted to drop in and remind you about that mini D&D haiku contest I'm running in this thread.

Dungeons & Details, in case you forgot them: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/31249621/#Comment_31249621

Tomorrow (by which I mean today, because it's past midnight and I should be asleep two hours ago), aka Wednesday, will be the last day for entering.

The entries to far:
    @see317‌: Entry 1, Entry 2 (Assuming that first entry is true, this is just for fun?)
    @webguy20‌: Entry 1, Entry 2 (just for fun)
    @Mikey CTS‌: Entry 1
    @Extreaminatus‌: Entry 1
    @Rend‌: Entry 1

Gotta be honest:
    If no-one can topple him,
    Rend will take the win

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    So, I got a box in the mail the other day, but only yesterday did I take pictures for today when I would be able to upload them. I was confused, because I forgot that by signing up for this, I would be getting a gift.

20141125_054542_zps1nkpozsv.jpg
    Who the fuck do I know in Daytona Beach?

20141125_054637_zpsisoimx0p.jpg
    Oh yeah, this is from an awesome PA forumer! I wonder what's in this delightful paper!

20141125_054701_zpss7h9b6ec.jpg
    Oh fuck! A spider a Talos Pain Engine!

But wait! There's another gift!
    20141125_054727_zps41anzmjy.jpg
    Awesome! Space ships to carry me way to a galaxy far, far away!

Thank you @Stationary‌! This is another awesome PA Secret Santa because of you!

Time to step up my Santa game!

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    I'm glad you enjoyed it and I'm sorry you had to suffer through my handwriting!

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Dude, what? Your handwriting is totally fine. I've had to decipher my mother's for most of my life, and I assure you, yours is clear as day in comparison. Even has some nice flow to it.
    *nod*

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Yeah, your handwriting was fine.

I can't wait to crack into that Talos after my other projects are finished.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    D&Dear nerds, just wanted to drop in and remind you about that mini D&D haiku contest I'm running in this thread.

Dungeons & Details, in case you forgot them: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/31249621/#Comment_31249621

Tomorrow (by which I mean today, because it's past midnight and I should be asleep two hours ago), aka Wednesday, will be the last day for entering.

The entries to far:
    see317‌: Entry 1, Entry 2 (Assuming that first entry is true, this is just for fun?)

Gotta be honest:
    If no-one can topple him,
    Rend will take the win

Yeah, they're just for fun
    Can't resist a good haiku
    Five syllables here.

• Options
    D and D you say?
    While I love a give away
    This ones not for me.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    The ending line of
    All my haikus is the same
    Wind blows in silence.

(Not entering the contest, as I already have most of the D&D computer games.)

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    An Age of Darkness
    Brave Warriors of Light Gather
    d20 Rules Our Fate!

The Wizard Stood Fast
    Master of Pyromantic Spell
    Evil Lich King Incinerated

Blade of Thundering
    Buried Deep Into The Beast
    New Legend Forged

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Gifts sent!

He knows when you are sleeping,
    He knows when you're on the can,
    He'll hunt you down and blast your ass from here to Pakistan, oh!

You'd better not breathe, you'd better not move,
    You're better off dead, I'm telling you, dude.
    Santa Claus is gunning you down!

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Just got back from visiting family to find another surprise on my doorstep today!:
    nX6T2Ffl.jpg

Opening it up I find another package from my Santa! My team of investigators was on the case:
    IAnv1lsl.jpg?1

What was inside the package?
    megNaXkl.jpg?1
    I've only heard great things about this game. I cannot wait to bring it to my table next weekend. This is absolutely perfect. Thank you so much!

The adventure continues....
    PO6khOil.jpg
    I pull out my bag from under the chair and put in on the table in front of me. Then I take a second look inside the bag, maybe for the last time. I worked pretty hard to get all these together, so I don't want to give them up so easily. I look the sheriff right in the eyes and pause for a few seconds... then i THROW MY BEER IN HIS FACE AND RUN!. They are going to have to kill me before they take these wizard bones!

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Damn, I've been tied up with family, work, and housing, so I've been coasting on what to do for my Santa. You guys are really making me have to set the bar high.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Damn, I've been tied up with family, work, and housing, so I've been coasting on what to do for my Santa. You guys are really making me have to set the bar high.

Same. At least I don't feel as bad as I had been about it.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    This thread warms my cold, black heart.

Glad I didn't participate though. You motherfuckers is cray. I couldn't compete with this shit.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    In his house at R'lyeh, @Delduwath waits dreaming - but on this day he rises from the depths to announce the winner of the D&D haiku contest, as determined by :snap:s: @Rend, with this entry.

It's a good haiku.
    The seasonal reference
    Probably sealed it.

The gift code has been delivered to @Rend already, but let's all remember that the real person to thank is my Mysterious Benefactor, the Secret Santa. From them flows the never ending spring of presents and felicity; to them goes our eternal loyalty and gratitude. Iä! Iä!

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I have received a large package that sounds suspiciously like plastic soldiers waiting to be assembled. More to come later, when I open it!

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    In his house at R'lyeh, @Delduwath waits dreaming - but on this day he rises from the depths to announce the winner of the D&D haiku contest, as determined by :snap:s: @Rend, with this entry.

It's a good haiku.
    The seasonal reference
    Probably sealed it.

The gift code has been delivered to @Rend already, but let's all remember that the real person to thank is my Mysterious Benefactor, the Secret Santa. From them flows the never ending spring of presents and felicity; to them goes our eternal loyalty and gratitude. Iä! Iä!

I now have enough sword and sorcery to last me until a real great old one decides to have a snack of all of us. Thanks very much to @Delduwath, and to his shadow Santa!

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2014
    tumblr_ng0b53Yq4i1rm7iyxo1_1280.jpg

IT CAME FROM AMAZON

tumblr_ng0b53Yq4i1rm7iyxo2_1280.jpg

INSIDE THE BOX, THERE WERE MORE BOXES

tumblr_ng0b53Yq4i1rm7iyxo3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ng0b53Yq4i1rm7iyxo5_1280.jpg

YES, MY SKELETRON ARMY CAN ALWAYS USE MORE BARGES

tumblr_ng0b53Yq4i1rm7iyxo4_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ng0b53Yq4i1rm7iyxo6_1280.jpg

FUCK YEAH, I'VE BEEN EYEING THIS SINCE IT CAME OUT

Thanks Santa, whoever you are!

Vanguard on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    It was me! I realised after I ordered the stuff I forgot to put my name on there.

Hope you enjoy!

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    My Santee's gifts have arrived. Just in time for my trip to Mexico!

I'll be gone for a week, and then when I return I will wrap, fancify, and send them out!

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Uh oh @Iron Weasel‌ It seems that the first part of a multi-part set of gifts has arrived. My wife thinking it was something she ordered for me already began the unwrappening. I will post pictures tonight when I get to see the gifts for myself!

Nealneal on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I feel like a punk - with everything piling up going into the holidays, I went the Amazon route. Gifts away, though!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Seeing this thread makes me wonder if I did enough for my secret santa. :(

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Seeing this thread makes me wonder if I did enough for my secret santa. :(

From the OP:
    >What would constitute a suitable gift?

This is where we unfortunately get subjective. I'd like to think we all have the good common sense to pick good gifts in this regard. For guidelines, I'd suggest something like $10/£6 (or $15/£9-ish with shipping) as a minimum.

Just because some of us in this thread are more desiring or more able to give big splashy gifts shouldn't make you feel bad. This (shouldn't be) a contest to see who can send the most swag. It's a chance to give another forumer a little joy by sending an unknown surprise. Take joy in the giving and the receiving, and let it stand at that.

The goal is not let the holiday gift-giving become a source of misery:
    When they find [Christmas] cards from any to whom they have not sent, then they beat their breasts and wail and utter curses against the sender; and having sufficiently lamented their misfortune, they put on their boots again and go out into the fog and rain and buy a card for him also. They also send gifts to one another, suffering the same things about the gifts as about the cards, or even worse. For every citizen has to guess the value of the gift which every friend will send to him so that he may send one of equal value, whether he can afford it or not. And they buy as gifts for one another such things as no man ever bought for himself.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Nealneal wrote: »
    Uh oh @Iron Weasel‌ It seems that the first part of a multi-part set of gifts has arrived. My wife thinking it was something she ordered for me already began the unwrappening. I will post pictures tonight when I get to see the gifts for myself!
    I am a-quiver with anticipation!

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Looks like the package I sent made it to someone's front door!

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    And Lo, there was much lamentation from the local WarmaHordes group with the arrival of Goreshade, The Lord of Ruin.
    cu38w7vtcmae.jpg
    23rn6bffnjdd.jpg

Yet that wasn't the only thing to arrive! A timely helper to bring the will of Toruk to all of the Iron Kingdoms!
    x76jxj25n4ra.jpg
    zxv6l1p7tv49.jpg

And more to come???? So much joy in this tiny shriveled Cryxian heart right now. I'm Grinching out over here!

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Man, Goreshade 3 is one of two warcasters in Cryx that make me wish there was ANYTHING else in the faction I wanted to use. :P
    Your Santa has great taste.

In news on my front, I'm going to be working late tonight, which means another evening of zero progress on my gift. Friiiiiiiiiiig ... I want so badly to get this to you before Christmas, but you might just have to wait it out, Santee. I promise it'll be worth it, but still, I am disappointed in myself.

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    So,my package just arrived, and my son tore through everything. I will post pictures tonight after he's in bed, but I just wanted to let my Santa know everything arrived perfectly and it's awesome. better post to come tonight.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Goreshade would be right at home on an Iron Maiden album cover. Just look at that dude!

Glad you are pleased, @Nealneal‌. The second package should arrive in the next days. Alas, the not-Amazon supplier offered neither gift wrap nor personalized messages, so please forgive me the absence of these. Don't worry, you'll know it's from me ;)

PS: Seriously though, Fuck Tyranids.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    He's the most metal. I swear his Goreshade the Bastard artwork should have been an Iron Maiden cover.

Nealneal on
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    gift get. on my phone for now so I will pretty the post up later. too tired last night to do photos justice.

my son loved opening the gifts and I forgot to take a picture last night of all the gifts but it was awesome. I think he squealed for the first time.
    pictures below spoiler ed for length