As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Agents of SHIELD] Age of Inhumans

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Entaru wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »
    There are people who don't have Amazon Prime?

But... how do you buy toilet paper? Do you just... go to the grocery store? Like an animal?

I go to Costco.

Yearly trips I take it?

About quarterly unless I really want a rotisserie chicken...

Until I read about the hammocks, I thought you were implying rotisserie chicken would make you need to get toilet paper more than quarterly, which is not a pretty visual.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    There are people who don't have Amazon Prime?

But... how do you buy toilet paper? Do you just... go to the grocery store? Like an animal?

I go to Costco.

Yearly trips I take it?

About quarterly unless I really want a rotisserie chicken...

Until read about the hammocks, I thought you were implying rotisserie chicken would make you need to get toilet paper more than quarterly, which is not a pretty visual.

No, but pretty accurate for Kirkland rotisserie.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I have my hammocks whittled by the finest gnomish hammock artisans from the Land of the Eternal Shadow. I'm actually not supposed to talk about it.

...but none of this has anything to do with Marvel's Agents of Shield. Probably.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    This wrote: »
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I think folks overvalue big moments and SHOCKING TWEETS in general in these discussions
    For me personally, spoilers increase my enjoyment of stories. For me, reveals that increase the depth of a story, that add nuance to what's already happened, that's fantastic and what I like to see. Spoiling that sort of twist means I can get a head start on getting more out of the story by noticing things that only otherwise come to the forefront after a twist. On the other hand, when the biggest effect of a twist is to make the audiance go "OMG, twist!" I don't care for it.

As I see it, if a plot twist (or anything, really) sucks because I'm spoiled on it, it's a pretty shitty plot point to begin with. A good story will virtually always be better on reread or rewatch, because I'll be able to get more out of it.

It's interesting to see this perspective, because it's pretty much the opposite of mine. What I really like about watching a show/movie/reading a book, is the feeling that I'm watching things as they are happening. I don't want to know anything about anything ahead of time, because then I know the future, and too many possibilities are eliminated. If someone is pointing a gun at someone, I want to be frantically waiting to see if they pull the trigger. I love to be surprised. For this reason I typically don't watch stuff I've already seen. Just doesn't interest me, because that in-the-present feeling is gone. Or if I do, I tend to let a decent amount of time pass so that I no longer remember dialogue and details.

As to "when the show got good", I agree it was before the Hydra reveal. That's certainly when it took off, but really for me the show got steadily better after the low point of episode 2 where I would have given up on it if it weren't Marvel, and really just continued its upward momentum all the way through S2. Can't wait for it to come back.

Spoilers/no spoilers is an interesting discussion for me, and it's one that very few people seem to like to ever talk about.

Ward in season one becomes retroactively much more interesting when you know he's Hydra. When Ward gets on the plane with Victoria Hand, there's no real emotional beat there. It's people getting on a plane. We see that happening multiple times an episode. When you know what's coming, that Ward is Hydra, it turns the moment into something a lot more emotionally wrenching. The same applies to Ward in the episode with Sif, and really, going back to the very start of the series. Everything he says and does gets to be examined in the light of how he was playing a role to ingratiate himself with the team. Even little things, like how he loves board games - that's suddenly no longer just a personality quirk, it's potentially Ward pretending to have a personality quirk.

To use another example of spoilers, from Game of Thrones. . .
    The Red Wedding didn't affect me emotionally much at all when I read through the series the first time. I never really emotionally connected with Cat or Rob; I was worried about Arya, but I saw she had chapters later, so her cliffhanger at the wedding didn't worry me too much for too long. I was into Jon, Arya, Daenerys and Tyrion and (to my surprise) Jaime and Brienne, but the Red Wedding didn't really interest me much the first time around. The second time through the series, I was seeing conversations between secondary characters in a different light, I was mayhaps noticing parallels between the game between played by the boys in Winterfell and by Lord Frey in his conversation with Robb. Knowing it was coming, I was able to see the extent of the groundwork that Martin was laying down, and sections of the books that had been somewhat dull suddenly became absolutely incredible.

As another example, knowing that Darth Vader is Luke's father informs how a viewer watches the first 90% of the Empire Strikes Back. Watching that movie without knowing that he's Luke's father and with knowing would probably be two very different experiences. I think that knowing adds to the film, and to me it's an example of how a shocking twist should work. The story up until the point of that twist works absolutely fine, and the story would work absolutely fine without the twist. Having the twist there comes as a major, shocking moment to viewers, but the major shock isn't as important to the viewing experience as how that information contextualizes everything up to that point.

I recognize that opinions on spoilers are going to differ, and there's no specific answer that will work for everyone. It'll also depend on what exactly is being read or watched or listened to. For me, knowing what's coming frees up worrying about what's going to happen and lets me focus more on why and how things are happening. For me, better shows benefit most from being spoiled. Take the Americans. When I watch an episode wondering what's going to happen, I get virtually no enjoyment out of it. I spend too much time worrying about whether someone is going to see something, or whether this character will shoot that character, etc. When I've read spoilers for an episode, I can sit back and enjoy the dialog, the set up of the situations, the acting, some of the subtle quirks that the actors bring, and I can get much, much more out of the show. Watching the Americans unspoiled, I don't care at all for the show. Watching it spoiled, it's one of my favorite shows on TV.

But again, to each their own.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I pretty much feel the exact same way about spoilers. Spoiler bros!

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I have my hammocks whittled by the finest gnomish hammock artisans from the Land of the Eternal Shadow. I'm actually not supposed to talk about it.

...but none of this has anything to do with Marvel's Agents of Shield. Probably.

Someone hasn't read the leaked synopsis for the season finale, apparently. ..

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    My preferred way of watching really good stuff is to see it twice. The first time gives you the visceral thrill of seeing something surprising, the second gives you the show been appreciation of seeing how it unfolds.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I tend to spoil myself only on shows where I feel a character has been particularly wronged.

Mostly the thought process goes: "Holy shit they did what? He gets revenge, right? Right? Two weeks? Fuck that, I need to know right now."

Todd and Jesse from Breaking Bad are a good example of this motive.

RT800 on
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    My preferred way of watching really good stuff is to see it twice. The first time gives you the visceral thrill of seeing something surprising, the second gives you the show been appreciation of seeing how it unfolds.

I can understand that point of view. It's a best of both worlds approach.

For me, there's just so much media out there - there's so much good stuff I haven't even seen once. Spoilers also help me narrow down what I think that I'll enjoy, and what I won't enjoy.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I think what you guys are describing is foreshadowing, not spoiling. The difference between the two is about the same as the difference between George R. R. Martin and a bad fanfiction writer.

Also, if you were unaffected by reading the Red Wedding the first time, then you are very much in the minority. Which is fine, since you're perfectly entitled to your own opinion and experience, but the vast majority of people probably consume content differently than you do. That difference is probably why they abhor spoilers while you generally don't seem to care.

• Options
    I think what you guys are describing is foreshadowing, not spoiling. The difference between the two is about the same as the difference between George R. R. Martin and a bad fanfiction writer.

Also, if you were unaffected by reading the Red Wedding the first time, then you are very much in the minority. Which is fine, since you're perfectly entitled to your own opinion and experience, but the vast majority of people probably consume content differently than you do. That difference is probably why they abhor spoilers while you generally don't seem to care.

No, I'm big on spoiling. I like to go read the end of the book first, and I'll brave visiting movie spoiler sites to read about what happens in a movie before deciding whether to go see it or not. It's not that I don't care about spoilers, it's that I enjoy being spoiled, and will actively seek out spoilers. When I'm not spoiled, I read a book (or watch a show, or movie, or whatever) to find out what happens next. Why and how it's happening, what it means to the people being affected, I don't really process that nearly so much. Foreshadowing is just one of the layers that I'm more likely to pick up on while spoiled. I'll go so far as to say it becomes harder for me to tell the difference between good writing and bad writing when I'm unspoiled, since I'm significantly more likely to miss any layers in the story - I'll just race to the end, quality be damned, no lingering.

I'm not so sure that the "vast majority" of people consumes content that much differently than I do. I know that a very vocal group of people dislikes being spoiled, and they may very well be the majority. But there are definitely people like me out there (hell, my habits were influenced by my mother, who got it from her mother, whose father also read the end first), and one of the very few bits of research done on spoilers that I'm aware of indicates people really do prefer to be spoiled.

• Options

That one group is really loud and dominates the narrative on a subject does not mean that other groups don't exist.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    But people who spoil things are the next worst things to lawyers and telemarketers, regardless of number!

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    But people who spoil things are the next worst things to lawyers and telemarketers, regardless of number!

Spoilers for Henry VI (Part II):
    The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    That one group is really loud and dominates the narrative on a subject does not mean that other groups don't exist.
    No one is saying that they don't exist. But just because you feel that way, and have found one study backing you up, doesn't meant that your conclusion of "...people really do prefer to be spoiled" is at all justified.

Yeah, you may feel that way. That's cool! I don't. Spoil yourself all you want, don't force it on others.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    All this talk about people not just not minding but actually liking spoilers is making me pretty nervous. I am going to have to be cautious around you heathens.

• Options
    I don't think he ever said he planned on forcing spoilers on others.

He was just pointing out that lots of people like being spoiled (which is true). I know I do, but I don't plan on dropping any spoiler bombs, even though I'll definitely read them.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    All this talk about people not just not minding but actually liking spoilers is making me pretty nervous. I am going to have to be cautious around you heathens.

im a spoiler watch out

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

Just because some of us don't mind being spoiled, or even like it, doesn't mean we're assholes and will ruin your experience for funsies.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options

im a spoiler watch out

One year for halloween I went as a spoiler. I was wearing a suit of construction paper with things like "Aeris dies" and "Vader is Luke's father" written on them.

The party host was not happy with me. I pointed out that my hat read "spoiler warning!" so it's not like people weren't warned.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    If I'm paying for a service i don't want fucking commercials HULU

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Just because some of us don't mind being spoiled, or even like it, doesn't mean we're assholes and will ruin your experience for funsies.
    Every one and a while we get someone who spoils something then refuses to apologize, claiming that it doesn't matter then citing that study. Just wanted to head that off at the pass.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Ward in season one becomes retroactively much more interesting when you know he's Hydra. When Ward gets on the plane with Victoria Hand, there's no real emotional beat there. It's people getting on a plane. We see that happening multiple times an episode. When you know what's coming, that Ward is Hydra, it turns the moment into something a lot more emotionally wrenching. The same applies to Ward in the episode with Sif, and really, going back to the very start of the series. Everything he says and does gets to be examined in the light of how he was playing a role to ingratiate himself with the team. Even little things, like how he loves board games - that's suddenly no longer just a personality quirk, it's potentially Ward pretending to have a personality quirk.

My wife and I watched without spoilers.

When Ward got on the plane, or more specifically asked to go on the plane, my wife turned to me and said "He's fucking Hydra!" and I replied "He must be!". The whole episode is about the audience guessing loyalty - everyone bar Skye is suspect (due to her role as audience insert) until proven otherwise. Ward in that episode never proves otherwise.

And then he makes the most fatally suspicious act of all - he deliberately splits the party.

Ward getting on the plane is a massive awooga alarm of epic proportions. If Ward not being Hydra would have been the bigger shock after that massively obvious signpost.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

No, I'm big on spoiling. I like to go read the end of the book first, and I'll brave visiting movie spoiler sites to read about what happens in a movie before deciding whether to go see it or not. It's not that I don't care about spoilers, it's that I enjoy being spoiled, and will actively seek out spoilers. When I'm not spoiled, I read a book (or watch a show, or movie, or whatever) to find out what happens next. Why and how it's happening, what it means to the people being affected, I don't really process that nearly so much. Foreshadowing is just one of the layers that I'm more likely to pick up on while spoiled. I'll go so far as to say it becomes harder for me to tell the difference between good writing and bad writing when I'm unspoiled, since I'm significantly more likely to miss any layers in the story - I'll just race to the end, quality be damned, no lingering.

I find it super bizarre that somehow those things are mutually exclusive for you. I want to try to dig into why this might be, but it'll probably just come off as me telling you that you're wrong to like things the way you like them, so I won't.

I will take a stab at that study, though. The methodology of the experiment was that each participant would show up on three separate occasions, each time being asked to read three short stories and then rate and comment on them. As someone who has conducted and participated in psych experiments in a university setting - participants are usually curious about what the study is trying to measure. If they're being asked to sit down and read a story , they're going to be wondering why... why this story? It's a totally different situation to the way someone would normally read something that they'd chosen for themselves. This isn't what any of these people really wanted to be doing with their afternoon, they did it either for a few bucks or as course credit for their psych class, and the sooner they get through it, the sooner they can head to the campus pub. They're handed something they didn't choose and may not normally have wanted to read, and my guess is that in this case they're happier knowing the "spoilers" because that gives them more clues as to why they're being asked to read the story in the first place. And actually, it depended on how the spoilers were presented. In some cases, it was an introductory paragraph from the experimenters before the story, and in other cases it was disguised as the beginning of the story itself. The "spoiler bump" only occurred in the first case, suggesting that it wasn't "knowing what happens" that increased enjoyment, but more something to do with being given the information as an introduction to the story. I don't really see how the results of this study can be taken very seriously as a generalized conclusion of "people like being spoiled!".

This on
  • Options
    edited January 2015

My wife and I watched without spoilers.

When Ward got on the plane, or more specifically asked to go on the plane, my wife turned to me and said "He's fucking Hydra!" and I replied "He must be!". The whole episode is about the audience guessing loyalty - everyone bar Skye is suspect (due to her role as audience insert) until proven otherwise. Ward in that episode never proves otherwise.

And then he makes the most fatally suspicious act of all - he deliberately splits the party.

Ward getting on the plane is a massive awooga alarm of epic proportions. If Ward not being Hydra would have been the bigger shock after that massively obvious signpost.

It's funny you mention that because my wife and I were positive Hand was Hydra and Ward was gon' die. Until the last scene, of course.

A friend of mine absolutely insisted that the next episode would reveal that Ward and Hand were in it together setting a trap. He kept insisting for the next couple episodes that the ruse would be revealed SOON.

minor incident on
  • Options
    If I'm paying for a service i don't want fucking commercials HULU

For real why can't it be more like cable.

Wait.

• Options
    We should probably veer away from general discussion of spoilers and back to the series at hand.

Though yeah, by the time Ward was in the plane with Hand, it seemed pretty clear to me that he was Hydra. I wasn't expecting him to actually kill her, though. That bit caught me off guard a little.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Edit: sorry, Jeffe, didn't see your post when I made mine.

Shadowhope on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    hands not dead, LMD!

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    We should probably veer away from general discussion of spoilers and back to the series at hand.

Though yeah, by the time Ward was in the plane with Hand, it seemed pretty clear to me that he was Hydra. I wasn't expecting him to actually kill her, though. That bit caught me off guard a little.

Also that was done super-cold. Like, damn.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    You're all a number of episodes into Carter now right? Not going in the proper thread to avoid spoilers (topical) so I'll ask here. Is it shaping up to be a central part of the ongoing Shield plot or is it mainly its own side thing? Like I'm expecting the odd reference but when Shield comes back am I going to be expected to have watched the Carter's to keep up with the plot (probably re: the monolith)?

I'm going to be hunting down Carter at some point (no UK broadcaster currently), just wondering how urgent it would be as I'd much rather watch it on TV/DVD than streamed on the computer.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    You're all a number of episodes into Carter now right? Not going in the proper thread to avoid spoilers (topical) so I'll ask here. Is it shaping up to be a central part of the ongoing Shield plot or is it mainly its own side thing? Like I'm expecting the odd reference but when Shield comes back am I going to be expected to have watched the Carter's to keep up with the plot (probably re: the monolith)?

I'm going to be hunting down Carter at some point (no UK broadcaster currently), just wondering how urgent it would be as I'd much rather watch it on TV/DVD than streamed on the computer.

It's separate at the moment.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Spoilers for Henry VI (Part II):
    The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

Jack Cade was the best part of that play, and no mistake.

• Options

To elaborate on Harry's post, it's basically about the early days of SSR, pre-SHIELD, and handles some of the fall-out from the events in Captain America. It has pretty much no ties at all to AoS, other than that we know this group eventually creates SHIELD.

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    It's also a very different show in terms of style and tone. There will be people who love SHIELD and won't like Carter and vice versa.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Yeah, I really love SHIELD and I'm pretty meh on Carter. I'll stick around to see what happens, mostly because I like Howard Stark, but I'm not recommending it to my friends like I am SHIELD.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm not very fond of Carter because boy, everyone was an asshole in the 1950s. I mean yes this is probably accurate when it comes to professional and personal relationships between men and women during that time, but that doesn't mean I enjoy watching it. It's fun watching Peggy Carter kick ass, it's not fun to watch her deal with these jerkasses.

• Options
    I love Agent Carter based on her super dashing hats.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I love Agent Carter based on her super dashing hats.

it's the Carmen Sandiego show we never had

This discussion has been closed.