As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Agents of SHIELD] Age of Inhumans

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    oh my god civil war is going to be so bad

well I was wondering what was going to kill the MCU

That was the comics, have faith in the MCU.

If anything I think Civil War works much better in the MCU. Super heroes are a THING, but they're relatively new and the public's exposure to them (via Avengers, AOS, Dark World, etc) has mainly included shitloads of collateral damage. I could see the setup from Civil War working much, much more believably on film, without eons of backstory weighing so heavily.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I don't think we can say whether Civil War will be good until we've seen the state of the world post Ultron. I think that'll give us a much clearer picture toward how they're going to deal with the adaptation and what sorts of thing we can expect.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    hippofant wrote: »
    Thank you sir.
    So while Coulson's "dead" but secretly trying to keep the world from falling apart, Hill's knocking glasses with the cool kids, huh?

Edit: Also, Thor was totally worried when Captain America moved it just a little, and then tried to laugh it off and pretend he didn't.

Double also, is that Scarlet Witch falling to her knees in some sort of terrible distress, perhaps at the loss of her brother? Surely, that can't be a plotline in the MCU....
    Maria Hill works for Tony Stark

Oh sure. I'm just saying. Someone got the short straw.

Also her hair looks fabulous, whereas his... well... err....

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Whatever happened to Agent Oswalt?

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Invisible wrote: »
    Whatever happened to Agent Oswalt?

If I had to guess, probably recording voiceover for The Goldbergs.

minor incident on
  • Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Re: last night's episode,
    I am totally digging Bobbi's fight scenes. That whole sequence in Bruges was some of the best action on the show, in my opinion, especially May's bit. Buffy would rage with jealousy.

I found myself truly conflicted as to whether Grant or Christian is telling the truth. It really is impossible to say at this stage. Someone needs to find that third brother and clear up some things.

Ravenhpltc24 on
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I am totally digging Bobbi's fight scenes. That whole sequence in Bruges was some of the best action on the show, in my opinion, especially May's bit. Buffy would rage with jealousy.

I found myself truly conflicted as to whether Grant or Christian is telling the truth. It really is impossible to say at this stage. Someone needs to find that third brother and clear up some things.

RE: The second item:
    I definitely got the "one of us always tells the truth and one of us always lies" vibe from them during the split scene with Coulson/Christian and Skye/Grant.

Which means it's likely they were both lying.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    My money's on "both".

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be shocked if one or both of them killed the third brother.

But Senator Ward is a republican, so he's obviously the liar.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    I wouldn't be shocked if one or both of them killed the third brother.

But Senator Ward is a republican, so he's obviously the liar.

And Grant was the double agent, who has been shown to lie as well.

So I'd just say the Ward family are full of liars.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    I don't think we can say whether Civil War will be good until we've seen the state of the world post Ultron. I think that'll give us a much clearer picture toward how they're going to deal with the adaptation and what sorts of thing we can expect.

Without even seeing AoU yet, it seems like a story that could push Tony toward what his stance would be in Civil War.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    My money's on "both".

Or... ORRRR... what if they were both telling the truth?!

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Re: Wards
    "Oh so it's a well this time." This is not the first time they've played off someone to achieve what they wanted. Elder Ward is evil for sure. The only question is if he's Hydra, or a fourth faction.

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »
    "Oh so it's a well this time." This is not the first time they've played off someone to achieve what they wanted. Elder Ward is evil for sure. The only question is if he's Hydra, or a fourth faction.
    He could just be an ass. I mean, not every asshole has to be with AIM or HAMMER or what-have-you.

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Man, I would be very interested to see them talk to the third brother in an upcoming episode.

Ward's become the kind of character I generally don't care for - the recurring villain who's more sleaze than threat, bad but not evil, competent but pathetic, and not of much importance in the grand scheme. Kinda like Lindsay from Angel. Or Faith near the end of Buffy season 3 - Angel season 2. Like, you'd feel bad for them if they weren't such a huge asshole.

So I'm kinda surprised how much I'm interested in figuring out wassup with the Ward fam. They've handled him well.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    He could just be an ass. I mean, not every asshole has to be with AIM or HAMMER or what-have-you.
    agent of ASS

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    If they hadn't set him up to be the power behind Talbot, I would be more inclined to agree. But he was going hard after Coulson in the premier. He was the senator bankrolling the deal to get Hunter to give Coulson up. There's a reason for that.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Wash wrote: »
    Man, I would be very interested to see them talk to the third brother in an upcoming episode.

Ward's become the kind of character I generally don't care for - the recurring villain who's more sleaze than threat, bad but not evil, competent but pathetic, and not of much importance in the grand scheme. Kinda like Lindsay from Angel. Or Faith near the end of Buffy season 3 - Angel season 2. Like, you'd feel bad for them if they weren't such a huge asshole.

So I'm kinda surprised how much I'm interested in figuring out wassup with the Ward fam. They've handled him well.

I loved Lindsay in Angel. Hell, he's half the reason I started watching Leverage

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    If they hadn't set him up to be the power behind Talbot, I would be more inclined to agree. But he was going hard after Coulson in the premier. He was the senator bankrolling the deal to get Hunter to give Coulson up. There's a reason for that.
    it really could just be that he wanted to cover up his brothers involvement in the whole SHIELD/Hydra situation. What better way to do that than bring the last few agents into custody and make them disappear before anyone else can question them.

• Options
    I'll kick in with Wraith and agree, mainly on the basis of me having no way of actually watching the show. I've only just seen the first Season recently. Still, perhaps he is an interested "third party". One can never have too many poorly acronymed evil organizations. ;)

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    what if they're actually working together? Not in a "they talked and made a plan for this exact situation" way, but
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    it really could just be that he wanted to cover up his brothers involvement in the whole SHIELD/Hydra situation. What better way to do that than bring the last few agents into custody and make them disappear before anyone else can question them.
    I like the notion that they're both Evil™. @Mvrck gave me the idea, but what if they don't actually hate each other, but profit from everybody else thinking that they are at odds with one another? That way nobody would suspect them helping each other. And in the end, in the last episode, Senator Ward used that to make Coulson transfer Ward, thereby allowing him a chance to escape.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    qwer12qwer12 PhilippinesRegistered User regular
    He doesn't need to be HYDRA, or AIM, or whatever, he's already part of an evil organization: the Republicans.

steam_sig.png

PSN: jrrl_absent
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    qwer12 wrote: »
    He doesn't need to be HYDRA, or AIM, or whatever, he's already part of an evil organization: the Republicans.

Let's let this one go.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Back on the subject of what the "average person on the street" thinks of SHIELD, or anything else:

If there's one constant in the Marvel Universe, Cinematic or otherwise, it's that most people - with notable exceptions - are ignorant, reactionary, ungrateful and/or bigoted. They are horrible, especially to the very same people who semi-regularly risk their own lives to save them and/or the world. And not just to the mutants, the designated stand-ins for whatever oppressed minority you care to name, but even to the likes of Cap.

Crossovers with the DC universe, where heroes tend to be much more respected, often lampshade this difference in tone.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    They did show that most people seemed pretty grateful at the end of Avengers. Iron Man has been portrayed as a big celebrity. There's also the first episode of AoS where they showed stores selling Avengers merchandise.

They never really showed people being that suspicious or ungrateful towards superheroes or SHIELD. In the AoS episodes until the Hydra reveal, most local authorities don't seem resentful towards SHIELD and are kind of happy that there's someone else to take care of the weird stuff so they don't have to deal with it. When people betray SHIELD, it's for money or some political gain, not because they fear SHIELD's unchecked power.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    They did show that most people seemed pretty grateful at the end of Avengers. Iron Man has been portrayed as a big celebrity. There's also the first episode of AoS where they showed stores selling Avengers merchandise.

They were also people that feared the Avengers on the streets and the WSC wanted them in custody immediately afterward since they thought they were threats and "freaks," Fury protected them ever since. Celebrities can be polarizing figures, Stark felt those consequences in Iron Man 2.
    They never really showed people being that suspicious or ungrateful towards superheroes or SHIELD. In the AoS episodes until the Hydra reveal, most local authorities don't seem resentful towards SHIELD and are kind of happy that there's someone else to take care of the weird stuff so they don't have to deal with it. When people betray SHIELD, it's for money or some political gain, not because they fear SHIELD's unchecked power.

Half way into season 1 SHIELD is labeled as a terrorist organization and hunted openly by the American government.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    It would have been nice if they had dealt more in-depth with the dismantling of SHIELD. It was backed by the most powerful nations in the world. The people working for SHIELD are citizens of those countries. SHIELD has all sorts of extremely dangerous technology and weapons. They even had nuclear weapons. Overreaction on the part of any government could have led to cities getting blown up.

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular

My thoughts?
    Both Christian and Grant are terrible, terrible human beings.

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Wards:
    Christian's got to be lying. We saw flashbacks to Grant's story in season 1 and he wasn't telling anyone the story. So unless the show's now deciding he was lying to his own mind...

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »
    Wards:
    Christian's got to be lying. We saw flashbacks to Grant's story in season 1 and he wasn't telling anyone the story. So unless the show's now deciding he was lying to his own mind...

yeah, i agree
    it's one thing to do a false flashback when a character is telling a story to another character, that's unreliable narrator shenanigans

but when you show a character having a flashback to their own memories you can't bullshit around with that unless you're like, trying to illustrate that character is so mentally ill their own memories of the event are unreliable?

it's bad writing otherwise

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I think Grant Ward was probably telling the truth. He's a rat bastard, but being honest with Skye is the one link he has with any kind of stability. He doesn't much benefit from lying anyway, considering nobody trusts him without independent verification anyway.

Meanwhile, his brother has every reason to lie.

Fairly simple to decide on a direction to lean when suspicious here.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I think that
    As far as Ward is concerned, Skye is the new Garrett. She's also the only one that didn't totally turn their back on him.

sig.gif
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It doesn't even matter. Fuck them both. Coulson has the right idea.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    oh my god civil war is going to be so bad

well I was wondering what was going to kill the MCU

That was the comics, have faith in the MCU.

And have faith that its a Cap3 movie and so won't have the pants on head retarded ending that the comics did. They won't make Cap a chump in his own movie.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Just watched the episode last night and in one word: Fantastic!

This show is just keeping that momentum going.

Also:
    Stop treating him like a child Jemma. Mack knows what's up.
    Also, the moment Coulson agreed to transfer Ward, I knew what would happen.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

I have to disagree with you. End of Episode spoilers
    I think its pretty clear that the episode showed that Coulson made the wrong decision. His hate for Ward blinded him, and he ended up putting Ward in a position where he could easily escape. This is going to come back and bite Coulson in the rear.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Just remember that no one else knew Coulson was director of SHIELD. HYDRA especially.

• Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »

I think its pretty clear that the episode showed that Coulson made the wrong decision. His hate for Ward blinded him, and he ended up putting Ward in a position where he could easily escape. This is going to come back and bite Coulson in the rear.

Coulson still
    got what he needed out of the deal. ward escaping is an annoyance, and it may cause trouble for him down the line, but it needed to be done to turn the heat off SHIELD.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular

Jemma agrees with me, so there!:
    Only because of TV Prisoner Transfer Procedures. I mean, Coulson stated why Ward can't/shouldn't be trusted period just in case anyone forgot. It's perfectly logical, unlike what happened.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

Jemma agrees with me, so there!:
    Only because of TV Prisoner Transfer Procedures. I mean, Coulson stated why Ward can't/shouldn't be trusted period just in case anyone forgot. It's perfectly logical, unlike what happened.

The best part will be when...
    Jemma goes through with it, and then Fitz calls her a terrible monster who he wished he never knew. Because Fitz isn't a murderer, and when Jemma murders Ward, the Jemma he loved will truly be gone, and he won't be able to even look at the new Jemma anymore.

Because if you're Whedon, why not give the fans what they want, only to rip their hearts out and devour them a minute later.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
This discussion has been closed.