As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pBp][IKRPG] Bitter Medicine - Adventure Over! Thanks for Playing!

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I always sort of visualize this kind of stuff as involving a lot of swings and misses and a roll being to make one telling. Like if you were RPing a boxing match, you wouldn't roll for each punch, it would be a few rolls a round to see who's landing more meaningful hits. So in my mind, there's a lot of assumed dramatic flailing around between "real" swings.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Fair enough. Just wanted to make sure we're on the same page.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    So sorry for the delay, folks. Let's do this!!!

Round 3

The whine of the chain gun's rotating barrels dies down as the bandit manning it slumps over the pintle, blood flowing from Aiden's headshot. The top hatch opens and another bandit climbs out awkwardly, as if he's being pushed from the inside, and goes about manhandling the dead body off the chain gun. After a moment, he manages to untangle the limbs and ditch the body over the side. It lands on the side of the road in a bloody splat. The impact forcing the effects of the Bloody Sweat to leave the body all at once. Its an unpleasant image and one that brings to mind the consequences of not being able to save Dr. Gateau.

The Roller itself slows, the driver working hard to negotiate the sharp hairpin turn in the road. As it is, the Roller tips up slightly on two wheels as it makes the turn. Once past the apex, the driver lays on the reins again, spurring the horses on. One of the side ports opens and a carbine points out at the charging Trollkin and fires! The bullet, fired from extreme range, plinks off of Stompy's harness. Eliciting an alarmed snort, but not much else.

The Roller slowing to take the turn allows both Aiden and Vetta to automatically gain a space. Their horses can make the turn with no issue. Chase check on your turns will let you catch up one more space if you pass the checks.

Tavish needs to make his Ride check (difficulty 14) to be able to intercept the Roller be in the same space on his turn. Rolling a 12 means you'll end up one space behind. 10 means two spaces. Below 10 and Stompy takes a spill on the slope.

Geth, roll 2d6+1 for shooting a carbine at Tavish

Stats:
    Rookwood: 6/4/4, DEF:15, ARM:13, FP:1, Inside the Roller
    Driver/Veteran: 8, DEF:14, ARM: 11, FP:1, Cannot be Targeted (along with horses)...yet
    Rider 1: 8, DEF:13, ARM:11 DEAD
    Rider 2: 8, DEF:13, ARM:11, Manning the Chain Gun
    Rider 3: 8, DEF:13, ARM:11, Inside
    Dr. Gateau: Inside
    The Roller: Damage Capacity:18, DEF:10, ARM:16, SPD:8, Damage Threshold: 4, Enclosed Body, Weapon Mount, Gun Ports.
    Aidan: 5/4/4, DEF:13, ARM:10, FP:3
    Tavish: 7/3/3, DEF:9, ARM:15, FP:1
    Vetta: 7/1/3, DEF:9, ARM:16, FP:2

The Driver/Horses Cannot be targeted unless you are alongside the Roller
    Anyone inside the roller cannot be targeted UNLESS they are using a gun port and then you fire at them through it at a -4 penalty
    Effective Weapons range is 2 squares, Vetta can make her jump from 1 space behind the Roller.

Chase Tracker: Aiden is 2 spaces behind the Roller & Vetta is 3 spaces behind the Roller. Tavish is careening down the rough hillside trying to intercept the Roller.

shooting a carbine at Tavish:
    2d6+1 11 [2d6=6, 4]

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    @Nealneal @OtakuD00D @JohnnyCache

Geth, roll 2d6+10 for Tavish's damage
    Geth, roll 1d6 for spiral

Tavish's damage:
    2d6+10 13 [2d6=2, 1]
    spiral:
    1d6 5 [1d6=5]

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Aiden di Ormino

Aiden does his best to keep pace with the bouncing Roller.

Geth roll 2d6+4 for Ride

Ride:
    2d6+4 10 [2d6=4, 2]

Nealneal on
  • Options
    Spend a Feat point to reroll

Geth roll 2d6+4 for Ride but for real this time

Ride but for real this time:
    2d6+4 15 [2d6=5, 6]

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Augh, I managed to roll awesomely and I'm still 3 spaces behind? VERY WELL THEN. Gonna roll harder.
    Boosting.
    Geth roll 3d6+2 riding.

riding.:
    3d6+2 6 [3d6=2, 1, 1]

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    That was just awful. Rerolling.

Geth roll 3d6+2 riding.

riding.:
    3d6+2 10 [3d6=1, 2, 5]

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Hmm...did you roll double sixes too? *goes back to check* ...Son of a bitch you did!

Correction: Vetta started this turn TWO spaces behind the Roller, not 3.

• Options
    WELL THEN. Did you say I could rocket jump on from two spaces away? Or was it one? If it's two, forget the whole rolling thing I just did. I'm going to Mighty Leap instead and smack some dudes.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Ha ha. Nope, still need to be one space away. That was an unfortunate use of two feat points btw...

• Options
    @Nealneal - Aiden is now 1 space behind the Roller and he still has an attack action, if you want to shoot at the Gunner this turn. 'Cuz, you know....he has a chain gun now and will be pointing it at you next round.

@OtakuD00D - You still have your attack action (and 1 feat point) if you want to try another Ride check again.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Aiden di Ormino

Now, with the Roller's occupants well within range of his magelock, Aiden lines up a shot on the newest member of the band to take up residence at the chain gun. His shot takes the poor bandit's head from his shoulders in a shower of blood, bones, and brains back into the interior of the Roller. Calmly he reloads his magelock and awaits the next target.

Geth roll 3d6+7 for Brutal Accurate Shot vs Gunner
    Geth roll 3d6+10 for Damage vs Gunner

EDIT: Crit Hit, Dead Dude. Takes me back to 3 Feat points.

Brutal Accurate Shot vs Gunner:
    3d6+7 19 [3d6=6, 3, 3]
    Damage vs Gunner:
    3d6+10 24 [3d6=5, 3, 6]

Nealneal on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Graaaaaargh. Going to roll again then.

Geth, roll 3d6+2 riding

Sadly, no crit this time, but I am now within a space of the cart. Is there any sort of detection roll or SOMETHING I can do to try and spot a good place to approach the cart from? Maybe a good landing spot, etc.

riding:
    3d6+2 14 [3d6=6, 5, 1]

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Fantastic! Three rolls and three feat points later, you are finally in position to jump on something!

Sure, give me a Detection roll. If you beat a 12, you'll earn a +2 bonus on your Jump check next turn.

....I really hope the Driver of Roller doesn't advance a space on his turn...I am dying to see a steam propelled flying dwarf crash land on top of an armored wagon...

• Options
    C'moooon. I gotta get my feat point back somehow. Rode my ass off to do it.

Geth, roll 2d6+4

Vetta just kept her head down, urging her horse to go as fast as it possibly could, through winding mountain roads and hail of gunfire. It took all her concentration to get this far, but does she have the means to make the jump? Is there enough pressure built up and can she focus enough to find a good spot to land on?

2d6+4 11 [2d6=6, 1]

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    @JohnnyCache - you're up!

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    shit, sorry guys, I got logged out and wasn't getting notifications.

Geth, roll 2d6+4 for Ride Check

Lol. I rolled the one number you didn't list a result for

Ride Check:
    2d6+4 11 [2d6=4, 3]

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    That 11 will let you drop into position 2 spaces back from the Roller. Not an ideal job, but hey....you aren't rolling down the mountainside in a giant ball of bison hair and trollskin! You can still take an attack action or make another Ride check instead of an attack.

There are also Feat points to spend if you'd like.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I will opt for the second ride check, and boost it. If I can get close enough, what will I have to do to board the roller?
    Geth, roll 3d6+4 for ride check

As the roller rounds a switchback with the company in hot pursuit, Tavish, lost to view during his desperate attempt to close the gap, smashes out of the underbrush, and for a moment, beast and rider teeter on the edge of falling, but long years of travel together pay off, and somehow the pair fight off the insatiable hunger of gravity and scramble ever closer to the fleeing roller, at a pace faster than most would think the huge bison could move.

ride check:
    3d6+4 17 [3d6=3, 4, 6]

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    Super busy at work again this, my father-in-law has made a surprise visit to stay with us this week, and my daughters big first birthday party is on Saturday. But I WILL have an update for the game this weekend. Maybe tonight depending on how well loot bag packing goes.

For now...enjoy an updated stat block and a completely random pic of an Iron Kingdoms monster party "having fun" in a human tavern.

tumblr_ngwi6acSEA1qff9quo1_1280-972x607.jpg

Stats:
    Driver/Veteran: 8, DEF:14, ARM: 11, FP:1, Cannot be Targeted (along with horses)...yet
    Rider 2: 8, DEF:13, ARM:11, DEAD
    Rider 3: 8, DEF:13, ARM:11, On the Chain Gun
    The Roller: Damage Capacity:18, DEF:10, ARM:16, SPD:8, Damage Threshold: 4, Enclosed Body, Weapon Mount, Gun Ports.
    Aidan: 5/4/4, DEF:13, ARM:10, FP:3
    Vetta: 7/1/3, DEF:9, ARM:16, FP:0

Anyone inside the Roller cannot be targeted UNLESS they are using a gun port and then you fire at them through it at a -4 penalty
    Effective Weapons range is 2 squares, Vetta can make her jump from 1 space behind the Roller.

Chase Tracker: Aiden & Vetta are both 1 space behind the Roller, Tavish is 2 spaces behind.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I'mma have to shoot another chain gunner in the face aren't I?

Nealneal on
  • Options
    Did I make it to one space behind as a result of my last roll? God I hope. Either way no more FP. :( No jumping for me.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    @Nealneal - Yes! Although this time, he gets to shoot at you guys first! :P
    @OtakuD00D - Yes! Current chase tracker positions are at the bottom of the stat block.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    The Roller continues down the mountain road, thundering down the path with our heroes in hot pursuit. The road narrows again, this time with fatally steep drops on both sides of the road, the mountains giving way to a chasm and an old wooden and stone bridge. As the Roller hits the bridge, it creaks ominously and portions start to crumble behind it. The massive weight of the wagon is too much for the structure to bear. The horses know something isn't right as the bridge cracks and crumbles beneath your passage, only the desperate kicks of the riders keep the mounts from bucking and turning.

The newest chain gunner swivels his pintle mounted weapon and takes aim, unloading a withering storm of covering fire behind the Roller. The hail of shells impacting both Aiden and Vetta as they give chase. Multiple rounds strike them, and blood flows.

The rear firing port slides open as well....a mechanical weapon poking out and the runes flaring as Rookwood takes a shot further behind at Tavish. The rounds strikes true, but the tough trollkin can thank his armor for helping him take the hit.

Actions:

The old stone bridge is crumbling behind the Roller's passage. I hope nobody rolls Snake Eyes on their Ride checks this turn... Crossing the bridge will take this full turn, next turn everyone will be safe.

Geth, Roll 2d6+5 for The Roller's Drive Check

The Chain Gunner leaves a POW10 zone of fire one space behind the Roller, hitting Aiden and Vetta

Geth, Roll 2d6+10 damage vs Aiden & Vetta
    Geth, Roll 1d6 for Aiden's Spiral
    Geth, Roll 1d6 for Vetta's Spiral

Geth, roll 2d6+7 to hit Tavish
    Geth, roll 2d6+12 vs. Tavish
    Geth, roll 1d6 for Tavish's spiral

Stats:
    Rider 3: 8, DEF:13, ARM:11, On the Chain Gun
    Aidan: 0[//color]/4/0, DEF:13, ARM:10, FP:3
    Vetta: 7/1/0, DEF:9, ARM:16, FP:0

Anyone inside the Roller cannot be targeted UNLESS they are using a gun port and then you fire at them through it at a -4 penalty

Chase Tracker: Aiden & Vetta are both 1 space behind the Roller, Tavish is 2 spaces behind.

The Roller's Drive Check:
    2d6+5 12 [2d6=3, 4]
    damage vs Aiden & Vetta:
    2d6+10 19 [2d6=4, 5]
    Aiden's Spiral:
    1d6 6 [1d6=6]
    Vetta's Spiral:
    1d6 6 [1d6=6]
    to hit Tavish:
    2d6+7 13 [2d6=3, 3]
    vs. Tavish:
    2d6+12 15 [2d6=1, 2]
    Tavish's spiral:
    1d6 5 [1d6=5]

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    @Nealneal @OtakuD00D - Let me know how you guys want to handle that damage.

• Options
    I'll spend a Feat Point to Heroic Dodge, leaving me with a 3/4/1 Spiral.
    Geth roll 2d6+4 for Riding to keep up with this Roller.

Riding to keep up with this Roller:
    2d6+4 11 [2d6=5, 2]

• Options
    Spend a feat point to reroll Ride
    Geth roll 2d6+4 for Ride check...again

Ride check...again:
    2d6+4 11 [2d6=1, 6]

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Aidan loses some ground due to being shot and having his clothes ripped up. That's not what he wanted to deal with today. He takes aim at the chaingunner and puts a round through the bandits eye.

Geth roll 3d6+7 for Brutal Accurate Shot vs Chaingunner
    Geth roll 3d6+10 for Damage vs Chaingunner

Dead Chaingunner, get back one of the two spent Feat Points.

Brutal Accurate Shot vs Chaingunner:
    3d6+7 21 [3d6=3, 5, 6]
    Damage vs Chaingunner:
    3d6+10 21 [3d6=6, 2, 3]

Nealneal on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Man, Aiden is on fire taking out these chain gunners! I don't know whether or not to be impressed at your mook killing expertise or to be sad that all the mooks have been killed.

@OtakuD00D - How did you want to handle that damage? Also, I really wish you had feat points left. You should at least make your ride check and pray for doubles...

@JohnnyCache - You are also up...

And Because I want to make things a tad more interesting....and let you fish for feat points....everyone make a Detection Roll!

Stats:
    Driver/Veteran: 8, DEF:14, ARM: 11, FP:1
    Rider 1: 8, DEF:13, ARM:11, DEAD
    Rider 3: 8, DEF:13, ARM:11, DEAD
    Aidan: 3/4/1, DEF:13, ARM:10, FP:2,
    Vetta: 7/1/0, DEF:7, ARM:16, FP:0, Crippled INT (-2 DEF, cannot upkeep)

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Geth roll 2d6+6 for Detection

Detection:
    2d6+6 12 [2d6=5, 1]

• Options
    Shouldn't my Spiral be 3/4/1? I got hit in the 6 column which knocks out three bubbles, then it transfers over to the 1 column knocking out two more. I should still have one bubble left in the 5 column under INT.

• Options
    Time to make a detection roll I guess. I'll also do ride after, depending. Yeah, I wish I could. :(
    Geth, roll 2d6+4 for detection

detection:
    2d6+4 15 [2d6=6, 5]

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Damn it. Well, here's my ride check.

Geth, roll 2d6+3

THERE'S MY CRIT. I'm gonna fly. Maybe that boss detection roll gives me a prime landing spot or something.

2d6+3 11 [2d6=4, 4]

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Vetta - Awesome! My plan worked! Leap away!!

Aiden - 5/4/4 spiral...you took 9 damage, halved to 5 by Heroic Dodge, applied to the 6-Hole. Which means you are correct. I started counting from the 5 column.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Bloodied but not out, Vetta spurred her mount on, reaching up to get her weapons drawn and ready. She weathered literal hell to get this close to the carriage. She wasn't about to go down yet! Taking a quick look, she spots a landing. Not wasting any more time, Vetta engages the steam vent! Built-up steam blasts out of the vents on her feet and ankles, sending her leaping into the air! Vetta lets out a hoarse battle cry, disease be damned, and lands on the carriage with a heavy, metallic thud. She gets up and lowers the visor on her helmet.

"Let's do this."
    Feat point spent.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    geth roll 2d6+4 for detection

detection:
    2d6+4 12 [2d6=3, 5]

• Options
    @JohnnyCache - Go ahead and take your turn now, I'll post the results of your detection checks at the start of the next round.

• Options
    I will Ride to beat the band. I just gotta get where I can grab a railing.

Geth roll 2d6+4 for Ride

Ride:
    2d6+4 11 [2d6=1, 6]

• Options
    d'oh! Need a 13 to advance a space. You still have your attack action in case you want to do something more....