As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I spent 90 hours at the [job] thread last week and all I got was this lousy paycheck

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Hey guys I love my job...

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I hate this teacher so much. No matter what she's calling about she is guaranteed to waste at least ten minutes of my time, usually a lot more, because she explains every fucking thing to the point where I have to cut her off and state that I know what she's talking about because I've done that thing for months now. There's also the bit where she keeps calling me for tech-related issues which are the calls I dread the most because even with a set of printed instructions and personal coaching from the Comp Lit teacher she still can't figure out how to do simple things and I get to spend a half hour or more trying to guess what screen she's managed to land herself on every couple of seconds because she doesn't listen and talks constantly.

I know that this sort of thing goes part and parcel with an IT job, but at least then it actually would be my job to help her. As things stand the only thing she's doing is wasting my time because I don't have the means to help her and I don't have the time to help her when I need to be doing my actual job instead of listening to her drone on and one.

Madican on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Sassori wrote: »
    I don't understand the overuse of ellipses in e-mails. It just reads as so sarcastic.

I would love to be accepted into your program...
    or
    It was so great seeing you today...

Yeah. Sure. You liar.

Sassori...

Senpai ...

2zzyix4hs2kq.png

• Options
    My supervisor is the best. Two boxes of peach gummi rings for Halloween.

• Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    133 minutes of sexual harassment training.

One the one hand, I'm happy to get the training because it means my employer finally recognizes that I'm a supervisor.

On the other hand...good gravy this is boring.

Huh...
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    FF wrote: »

One the one hand, I'm happy to get the training because it means my employer finally recognizes that I'm a supervisor.

Over two hours of training?

You're gonna be able to harass like a pro after that.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

They're standing right behind you aren't they?

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

They're standing right behind you aren't they?

If you need us to send help, blink twice.

• Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »

Over two hours of training?

You're gonna be able to harass like a pro after that.

I've already learned a new slur and I'm only 10 minutes in.

Huh...
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Just finished up a week and a half on site installing converted test cell software (moved them from Unix to Windows) that I've been working on for half the year. Felt real good when that shit worked on the first boot.

Can't wait to fly home and crash in my own bed finally though.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    God I suck at goodbyes.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    things that happened at the warehouse this week...it was so slow my boss fell asleep at his desk for three hours

What woke him up?

the cacophonous slurping sounds of his pit bull licking its dawg balls

You can't buy memories like this, folks.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    This was going to be a good day, I wasn't going to complain about anything to do with my job, everything was going to be relaxed....then I found out that when my boss told me that I wasn't allowed to dress up at work, she told everyone else that they could dress up if they wanted...
    ...and there's a company wide costume contest for today that pays out $300.

I just....ugh!

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    This was going to be a good day, I wasn't going to complain about anything to do with my job, everything was going to be relaxed....then I found out that when my boss told me that I wasn't allowed to dress up at work, she told everyone else that they could dress up if they wanted...

I just....ugh!

are you the only person that works with customers or something?

• Options

I just....ugh!

No.

She made a comment about how few people dressed up.

"Wait, you told me I couldn't dress up"
    "What? No, there's a company costume contest today, why would I say that?"
    "I don't know, but when you handed me the flier for it I asked you if we were allowed to dress up this year and you said 'No'"
    "I don't know why I would have said that"
    Neither do I!

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular

I just....ugh!

No.

She made a comment about how few people dressed up.

"Wait, you told me I couldn't dress up"
    "What? No, there's a company costume contest today, why would I say that?"
    "I don't know, but when you handed me the flier for it I asked you if we were allowed to dress up this year and you said 'No'"
    "I don't know why I would have said that"
    Neither do I!
    I am so annoyed just reading this.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    So this isn't really work related, other than I found it after getting let out of work early, but the storms that I thought could result in a snowy commute have no so far produced snow. What they have produced is wind. Enough wind to lift a metal-framed chair off of our deck (which has a foot and a half tall bench all the way around it) and deposit it about 2 feet from said deck.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    woooooo

won the company costume contest

+1 vacation day for me.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    usually I am with the behaviorally challenged kids. today I was with the mentally challenged kids. nope. never again. the ones I usually spend time with at least have an opportunity to turn things around, the ones today have nothing. forget about being a functioning adult, they will be lucky if they can go to the bathroom on their own. It was an incredibly depressing experience.

Jars on
  • Options
    wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    woooooo

+1 vacation day for me.

OK, now that is a prize. I'd dress up for that. Not for a gift card to Chili's.

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I would take the Chili's gift card, because vacation day, WTF is a vacation day!? I come to work because I'm too broke to do anything else.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    woooooo

+1 vacation day for me.

What'd you dress as?

• Options
    My boss has fallen asleep at her desk after our lunch.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »
    I would take the Chili's gift card, because vacation day, WTF is a vacation day!? I come to work because I'm too broke to do anything else.

Certainly he means he got +1 PTO day.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

Resist the urge to slap some asses to relive the boredom.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Another teacher trying to figure out how to print out a report. Okay, yeah, it's a new system. I wrote down the exact steps to reach the submission screen. All he has to do is input his information, hit submit, and the report will be emailed to him so he can print it out. Easy.

Instead he prints out the submission screen and says my directions didn't work.

How.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    woooooo

+1 vacation day for me.

What'd you dress as?

The Mad Hatter

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Today I got to see one of my former bosses throw a pie in another former boss's face. Then the pied pied the pier. A+ good day, would day again.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Video it with your phone

• Options
    V1m wrote: »

Video it with your phone

The tech who was here took a picture with her phone but didn't turn off her shutter sound.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

Video it with your phone

The tech who was here took a picture with her phone but didn't turn off her shutter sound.

I think on some phones you can't actually turn the shutter sound off

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Video it with your phone

I think on some phones you can't actually turn the shutter sound off

Pretty sure you can't even mute it anymore. I tried covering my iPhone's speaker and it still was loud.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Truly this office is the pinnacle of security if the code to the copy machine, since inmates aren't to use it without permission, is any indication.

Let's just say I was reminded of Spaceballs.

• Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    Give the prison system a hand folks.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I am kind of hoping that the
    "So can I get actual confirmation that you're OK with me going on the christmas holiday I booked before I applied for this job and mentioned at the interview even though the interviewer didn't seem to care much or ask about any dates, and I have asked about on 5 seperate occasions since starting here plus outright asking for written confirmation today"
    situation at my new job isn't going to turn into a "OK so like I told you a bunch of times, I am going on holiday over christmas. Do you want me to come back afterwards?" situation

Apparently the most recent, mildly bruesquely worded enquiry did the trick. My 11-day xmas holiday is confirmed in writing.

Now to eat & drink myself to death!

• Options
    Fuck me.

Right as lunch is winding down, the power goes out in the facility.

Queue me running around like a maniac shutting shit down.

Power restored. The FTP server didn't really want to turn on, but I coaxed it back up.

on the plus side I've scared the shit out of two people who didn't expect me to walk through the door in costume.

A+ on that front.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Awesoming the A+ part

• Options
    Fuck me.

Right as lunch is winding down, the power goes out in the facility.

Queue me running around like a maniac shutting shit down.

Power restored. The FTP server didn't really want to turn on, but I coaxed it back up.

on the plus side I've scared the shit out of two people who didn't expect me to walk through the door in costume.

A+ on that front.

"I'm late for the tea party! Also have you any idea why a server is like a writing desk?"

• Options
    I really want to send an all staff email that just says "Why is a server like a writing desk?"

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    And now the museum's fully shut down for the next seven months while we build a new exhibit, double the floorspace and do various other nifty things.

Dismantled exhibition halls stripped back to the fixed exhibit panels (which all had to be defaced with spray paint before being removed) feel weird to walk through, especially since the stuff had been set up there for fifteen years.

(And sad that the interpretive staff are largely out of work until May too. There'll be more positions and the like once it's back up, but that still sucks for them until then..)

This discussion has been closed.