As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black Knight vs White Knight IRL?

The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
...I'm just curious:

Does the motif of black knights vs white knights have any sort of historical roots? Like, was there ever a major conflict between two houses where one house used a mostly black scheme for it's banners / uniforms while the other house used a mostly white scheme?

With Love and Courage

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I seriously doubt it. Mankind has always used light and darkness as metaphors for good and evil, and since knights were the elite warriors of their day who represented countries, houses, and causes on the battlefield and through traditions of heraldry, it was natural and inevitable that people would conceive the idea of a knight who represents light/good or a knight who represents darkness/evil.

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Originally they weren't knights, just horses. And the colours weren't black and white, but any two opposing colours. Red, Green, Blue. Whatever helped differentiate the pieces.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    Originally they weren't knights, just horses. And the colours weren't black and white, but any two opposing colours. Red, Green, Blue. Whatever helped differentiate the pieces.

You seem to be thinking about chess. I believe the OP is asking about real life, historical conflicts.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Well, to be honest, my curiosity was sparked by the color representations in chess - so thanks for that, @PedroAsani‌ .

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_knight

looks like it lists a few people. Mostly known that way because of black armor, not because they were evil or something.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    In the earliest forms of chess the Knight was actually representative of an entire unit of cavalry, rather than a single soldier. Pawns were infantry, bishops were elephants, and rooks were chariots.

Then France got involved.