As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] the strange civility of the friendly neighbourhood captain panther

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I meant a big thing like Abomination appearing and having a scrap mid movie! Not just mentioning a name.

Also beware the AoS spoilers. In the UK we're only up to episode 2 of season 2 tonight.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I meant a big thing like Abomination appearing and having a scrap mid movie! Not just mentioning a name.

Also beware the AoS spoilers. In the UK we're only up to episode 2 of season 2 tonight.

All that stuff was from season one.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I figured it was probably the case. Mainly just wanted to moan that we're so behind on Shield and I can't read the thread.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Has there been any reference to what happened to Blonsky since Hydra went public? I assume he's not under SHIELD guard any more.
    I see three possibilities:
    He's in Hydra 'custody/control'.
    He's in the hands of the military (and might be able to convince Talbot that he's a loyal soldier who was framed for the Hulk's rampage (which the WSC seemed to believe already, with SHIELD as the ones saying he was dangerous), and a possible resource he can use.
    He's loose.

I'd like it if he shows up for a rematch in Age of Ultron of something, and just gets clobbered by the entire team in five seconds flat.

Dunno, the abomination is a pretty nasty customer. He's stronger than the hulk is to start, he just doesn't have the "madder he gets the stronger he gets thing". Plus he's a trained fighter in the film version with lots of experience. Give him a few months to get used to the new body and he'd likely be more than anyone but Thor and Hulk could deal with. He could just about ignore capt/widow/hawkeye, and he'd tear stark apart unless he was able to keep well away.

Even the Hulk has to be able to fight him for a bit to get worked up.

• Options
    BigWillieStylesBigWillieStyles Expert flipper of tables Inside my mind...Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I think the main reason they have Sam Jackson in so much is because he's apparently so damn game for it.

Renner, on the other hand, is becoming bigger and bigger, so yeah, nailing down his schedule even on a Marvel TV series might be a tall order.

Though I do get the feeling that if they had the space, any of the big ones would be willing to do a walk-on. They all just really seem to love the fuck out of the work for Marvel, at least on camera. :wink:
    If they have to, they could do a flashback episode examining Black Widow and Hawkeye's relationship with different actors. Like a very early case they worked on has some relevance to something Coulson's team needs to do.

BigWillieStyles on
    3DS Friend Code: 1006 - 0121 - 6969
    PM me with yours if you add me
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    It's just you. "Superhero" isn't a genre, it's a theme.
    Actually...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superhero_fiction
    wikipedia lol... but seriously:
    The form is a type of speculative fiction examining the adventures of costumed crime fighters known as superheroes, who often possess superhuman powers and battle similarly powered criminals known as supervillains.
    "Superhero fiction" isn't meaningful as a genre, because you can tell any type of story with people who (often) possess superhuman powers. Avengers was a team-up/disaster film. Cap2 was a spy/intrigue movie. GotG was space opera. Doctor Strange will might be horror.

Honestly that description is about as useful as fantasy fiction. And if there's on thing that Terry Pratchett has shown it's that fantasy is just a backdrop for the type of story you want to tell.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Actually...

The form is a type of speculative fiction examining the adventures of costumed crime fighters known as superheroes, who often possess superhuman powers and battle similarly powered criminals known as supervillains.
    "Superhero fiction" isn't meaningful as a genre, because you can tell any type of story with people who (often) possess superhuman powers. Avengers was a team-up/disaster film. Cap2 was a spy/intrigue movie. GotG was space opera. Doctor Strange will might be horror.

This just really makes me want to see a Tony Stark / Bruce Banner buddy road trip movie.
    Hear hear.

I never liked how the comics sort of try to position Cap as Tony's best friend.

Tony and Bruce? Thats a magical bromance I can get behind.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Actually...

This just really makes me want to see a Tony Stark / Bruce Banner buddy road trip movie.
    Hear hear.

Tony and Bruce are science-club buddies. I find it more believable that Tony would hate the Cap'n than like him, honestly. Tony has daddy issues, and Howard Stark liked Steve better.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I think the main reason they have Sam Jackson in so much is because he's apparently so damn game for it.

Renner, on the other hand, is becoming bigger and bigger, so yeah, nailing down his schedule even on a Marvel TV series might be a tall order.

Though I do get the feeling that if they had the space, any of the big ones would be willing to do a walk-on. They all just really seem to love the fuck out of the work for Marvel, at least on camera. :wink:
    If they have to, they could do a flashback episode examining Black Widow and Hawkeye's relationship with different actors. Like a very early case they worked on has some relevance to something Coulson's team needs to do.

They're not going to do that with different actors, except when Renner and Johanssen leave the MCU.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Actually...

Hear hear.

The movie guys are completely different than the comics guys. In the comics, they all take turns being completely insufferable, for example.

• Options
    BigWillieStylesBigWillieStyles Expert flipper of tables Inside my mind...Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Tony and Bruce are science-club buddies. I find it more believable that Tony would hate the Cap'n than like him, honestly. Tony has daddy issues, and Howard Stark liked Steve better.
    It should be noted that Howard Stark must have been pretty old when Tony was born. If he was 30/40 during WWII.

3DS Friend Code: 1006 - 0121 - 6969
    PM me with yours if you add me
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Reminder that in the comics, Tony was part of the group that launched Hulk into space, where he settled on an alien world, freed it from Tyranny, fell in love, and then the spaceship he was sent on got blowed up, killing most everyone (Because a ship that can explode like that seems like a great vessel to convey the Hulk in)

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Is it me or have superhero movies become the new Westerns? Or the 1980s action flick. Like the go to flick for escapist entertainment.

Yes. Your superhero comic book action-adventure is the new blockbuster formula for the past while and for the foreseeable future. (PantsB even mentioned this whole idea specifically a few pages back)

Actually...

Sure it is. You can do different things with comic adaptations, but superhero fiction is a genre.

Cap2, for instance, is not a spy thriller. It's a superhero movie that's stealing a few things from spy thrillers, but it's still firmly in the superhero fiction space.

War movies or Westerns can be all over the map too in alot of ways, but there's still alot of stuff they do that makes them a genre.

shryke on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Taramoor wrote: »
    It should be noted that Howard Stark must have been pretty old when Tony was born. If he was 30/40 during WWII.
    Well, WWII was 1939-1945, and Tony was born in 1970. So yeah, Howard would have been at least 49.

Edit: 53, I was close.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Reminder that in the comics, Tony was part of the group that launched Hulk into space, where he settled on an alien world, freed it from Tyranny, fell in love, and then the spaceship he was sent on got blowed up, killing most everyone (Because a ship that can explode like that seems like a great vessel to convey the Hulk in)

And there's what he did in Civil War when he tuned full super-villain. That said, the Hulk isn't a flower child in the comics - he conquered NYC to get revenge on the Illuminati over something they never did.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014

And there's what he did in Civil War when he tuned full super-villain. That said, the Hulk isn't a flower child in the comics - he conquered NYC to get revenge on the Illuminati over something they never did.

Also, it wasn't the ship that blew up, but a bomb placed in the ship by agents of the king he deposed. So yeah, the Illuminati basically found a place where Hulk wasn't inherently a danger to anyone, where he found acceptance happiness and love, and then one of the people he killed hurt him back and he smashed his way back to earth and proved the Illuminati right because why not?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

I thought it was more complex than that. They weren't the ones who actually blew up the ship (it was a traitor on Hulk's Planet Hulk team), but they were the ones who set it up so that it could be blown up as a fail-safe in case the original "Shoot Hulk into space" plan backfired.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Also, it wasn't the ship that blew up, but a bomb placed in the ship by agents of the king he deposed. So yeah, the Illuminati basically found a place where Hulk wasn't inherently a danger to anyone, where he found acceptance happiness and love, and then one of the people he killed hurt him back and he smashed his way back to earth and proved the Illuminati right because why not?

Er...wasn't an unexpected wormhole involved? They intended to send him to a barren planet, not Hulk-topia.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

Er...wasn't an unexpected wormhole involved? They intended to send him to a barren planet, not Hulk-topia.

An uninhabited planet, not barren. Also, Hulk broke the ship from the inside or whatever. The very beginning of Planet Hulk, and everything leading up to WWH was not great.

• Options

An uninhabited planet, not barren. Also, Hulk broke the ship from the inside or whatever. The very beginning of Planet Hulk, and everything leading up to WWH was not great.

Conveniently Hulk omitted this detail when he confronted the Illuminati.

• Options
    Like I said, they took turns being insufferable.

• Options
    We're not getting a Planet Hulk adaption. Though I hope we do get a new Hulk solo movie eventually.

• Options

I mean, in all fairness they DID go track down the Hulk, who was living nice and quietly in seclusion, convince him to go on a dangerous mission, then turn around and betray him.

I mean, the Hulk getting mad and trying to trash the ship doesn't take a super genius to expect. They were certainly culpable in the whole issue, even if they didn't directly cause it. Which is also part of why the Hulk flipped out so bad when the truth came out at the end of WWH.

• Options

I mean, in all fairness they DID go track down the Hulk, who was living nice and quietly in seclusion, convince him to go on a dangerous mission, then turn around and betray him.

I mean, the Hulk getting mad and trying to trash the ship doesn't take a super genius to expect. They were certainly culpable in the whole issue, even if they didn't directly cause it. Which is also part of why the Hulk flipped out so bad when the truth came out at the end of WWH.

That's vacation for the Hulk, he isn't going to stay there forever. Either he's gonna get bored and start shit or someone's going to try to capture him because reasons.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

That's vacation for the Hulk, he isn't going to stay there forever. Either he's gonna get bored and start shit or someone's going to try to capture him because reasons.

Hadn't he just created a giant cluster fuck right before that? I thought that was why the Illuminati voted him off the planet.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

Hadn't he just created a giant cluster fuck right before that? I thought that was why the Illuminati voted him off the planet.

Can't remember. Probably, it is the Hulk.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Actually...

Sure it is. You can do different things with comic adaptations, but superhero fiction is a genre.

Cap2, for instance, is not a spy thriller. It's a superhero movie that's stealing a few things from spy thrillers, but it's still firmly in the superhero fiction space.

War movies or Westerns can be all over the map too in alot of ways, but there's still alot of stuff they do that makes them a genre.

Academically, the classification of a superhero film is also pretty important. It's really not unlike the notion of "science fiction" - a science fiction movie can be a spy/intrigue movie, or a space-opera, or a horror movie. So can fantasy. But a superhero movie is, in particular, really interesting because it explicitly posits a world in which the audience is actually insignificant and not special. A lot of science fiction and fantasy feature protagonists that are "normal", thrown into strange situations, but a superhero movie has as its primary thesis the conception of characters that are supernatural. The stories they tell are, then, somewhat allegorical, exploring the nature of undue, "undeserved" power. There's a not-uncommon interpretation of superhero fiction as our new religious fiction; in a largely atheist world, these characters are our new Olympus, exemplifying specific aspects of the human condition and magnifying them to play out in almost fantastical interactions with the other complexities of human-ness and the universe.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

He wrecked Vegas.

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The comics always treated Hulk as destroying, never killing. There was an entire run where Hulk was framed for killing one boy and it was made into a manhunt.

Then they started adding him killing people when he Hulked out, which is valid to do, but was a response to the Ultimate Universe where Hulk killed people.

Then they tried to walk that back in that Hulk sees "numbers" and can assess damage in a predictive way so that when he punches that building it won't really kill someone because he already accounted for the force and the angles.

• Options
    I don't know why but that Infinity War trailer makes me feel abit verklempt.

Makes my Marvel fan patriotic pride swell.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The comics always treated Hulk as destroying, never killing. There was an entire run where Hulk was framed for killing one boy and it was made into a manhunt.

Then they started adding him killing people when he Hulked out, which is valid to do, but was a response to the Ultimate Universe where Hulk killed people.

Then they tried to walk that back in that Hulk sees "numbers" and can assess damage in a predictive way so that when he punches that building it won't really kill someone because he already accounted for the force and the angles.

Basically, he had Amadeus Cho powers.

• Options

The green hulk doesn't really get bored. And Banner was content with living there and letting the Hulk do whatever he liked in the seclusion.
    I mean, of course SOMETHING was going to happen, cuz comics, but logically speaking he had no reason to leave until shield basically forced him to action and then said "oh, since you gotta move anyways, mind helping us out with something?".

And he often causes issues, but usually he's not directly at fault for the incident. That's pretty much the entire "schtick" behind the green hulk. He just wants to do his thing in peace but people keep hounding after him or attacking him then wham, property damage.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »

Basically, it was dumb.

• Options

The green hulk doesn't really get bored. And Banner was content with living there and letting the Hulk do whatever he liked in the seclusion.
    I mean, of course SOMETHING was going to happen, cuz comics, but logically speaking he had no reason to leave until shield basically forced him to action and then said "oh, since you gotta move anyways, mind helping us out with something?".

As much as he whines about people leaving him alone he whines just as much when people stay away from him for being alone. You can't win with the Hulk. He also never takes responsibility for his actions, while he might not cause every fight he's in he has no restraint in using your building to flatten Absorbing Man's nose. I like this aspect, since he has serious flaws as a character, unfortunately this never gets bought up in arguments with the Hulk. And he's got a history of trying to punch anyone who tries to calm him down or leave peacefully, like Spider-man.
    And he often causes issues, but usually he's not directly at fault for the incident. That's pretty much the entire "schtick" behind the green hulk. He just wants to do his thing in peace but people keep hounding after him or attacking him then wham, property damage.

His thing meaning whatever the fuck he wants, Hulk's mere presence demands the authorities and super-heroes react since his first response to any situation is to punch it. He doesn't truly understand the destruction he's causing or how people get hurt when he hits them but there's so much sympathy people can give him before he needs to be kept somewhere with a population over 5 people.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Not crazy about Ultron's face. Too Optimus Prime in Bayformers looking.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options

I dunno. I have faith that Whedon isn't going to make his fight scenes look like a crockery running down a highway.

• Options
    His thing meaning whatever the fuck he wants, Hulk's mere presence demands the authorities and super-heroes react since his first response to any situation is to punch it. He doesn't truly understand the destruction he's causing or how people get hurt when he hits them but there's so much sympathy people can give him before he needs to be kept somewhere with a population over 5 people.

Not really. When talking classic green, he only turned that way when Banner was pushed or in serious danger. Often because someone was trying to get him or use the Hulk for their own purposes.

There were only a few times Banner was actually in control of that power. Most of the time it was either the mind of a child (classic green), a rather surly and selfish brute (grey hulk), or a few times a completely rage filled almost mindless version of the green hulk.

I agree it doesn't come up often, but Banner himself has used the argument many times in saying why he wanted to try and either get rid of, or eventually be in control of the Hulk. He's never really gotten there, but towards/during the whole Planet Hulk thing, they had a fairly decent understanding of each other.

• Options

I dunno. I have faith that Whedon isn't going to make his fight scenes look like a crockery running down a highway.

I just really love Ultrons weird jaw/beak/thing is all

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Film I'm most curious to see what how it turns out is Inhumans since theres a lot riding on that one. They've been giving a push recently in the books to become more of a thing but it's kind of just been average so far. Good concept but kind of by the numbers writing so far.

Some people think they'll go the cosmic route and do something like War of the Kings but with the way Feige is talking about them having the potential to have spin offs and be a franchise of it's own, I wouldn't be surprised to see terragenesis (the recent event in the comics that unleashed thousands of new inhumans across the globe) happen and Atillan coming out of hiding from whatever snowy Himalayan mountain or whatever it's been based in to help/deal with them.

I'm hoping it's a combination of Paul Jenkin's run and abit of the direction they're going now in the comics with inhumans becoming more widespread with the potential for new inhuman kingdoms to rise and get into some game of thrones royal dickery and mind games with each other.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    A lot of the Inhumans are kind of dumb, to be honest. Goat guy with super stomp! Hair lady!