As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Reveal Knob's embarrassing repressed fetishes in the [Indie Games] thread

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Mr. G wrote: »
    What makes Star Wars and Star Trek not cyberpunk

Being set after the Eugenics War rather than before it.

Lack of focus on the slums of Denon or CoruscaImperial Center.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Star Trek is, in the original series, a utopian, hippie love letter to the idea of cooperation and optimistic exploration

Star Wars is, in the original trilogy, a space opera about drama within a rebellion, albeit with a gritty aesthetic and mashed up with wuxia and samurai tropes

the raw, angry sense of youthful rebellion (multiplied by a forward-looking and rather pessimistic sense of technological and social speculation) was designed very much as an avant-garde movement against codified tropes within science fiction of the late 70s and early 80s, such as space operas, so cyberpunk was the exact opposite of Star Wars and Star Trek

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    cyberpunk and post-cyberpunk, at a literary level (which is the medium that matters most when discussing the cyberpunk genre, though post- has a lot more contemporary and properly good works of non-literary media due to its longer tenure), tend to also have this very characteristic fascination with the way information moves and shifts as it percolates through society, and how people make use of the resources they have at their disposal.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    For whatever reason my brain interpreted that 2-3 year completion time for Americana Dawn as how long they plan for it to take to beat and was excited to see the 3 month long speedrun.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Similar to 'corporations being the government'. A handful of companies run everything in cyberpunk. This is true in the real world too. However, Cyberpunk had it being very obvious, so you drank Coca Cola, watched Coca Cola TV, drove a Coca Cola car. In real life everything is controlled by a few companies but these companies don't run everything themselves, they own other companies that do their work for them.

It's similar to the corporations are the government thing, corporations are not the government in the real world, but they do own it in many ways (the power and influence of lobbyists is very worrying, it could be worse but not by much).

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Private Military Contractor, Google Inc

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Had there been anything like cyberpunk but from today's view of the future? Would that be included in post-cyberpunk? Or would it be post-post-cyberpunk?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Darmak wrote: »
    Had there been anything like cyberpunk but from today's view of the future? Would that be included in post-cyberpunk? Or would it be post-post-cyberpunk?

This is exactly what post-cyberpunk is. There's a varying degree of futuristic-ness to the genre, too, even within the works of individual authors. For example, Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon takes place in the late 90s, and his Reamde in the late 2000s, but both have nuances of post-cyberpunk that are very apparent if you follow his more futuristic works such as The Diamond Age. Gibson is similar - Pattern Recognition is very contemporary in setting, but with the aforementioned fascination with data flow and the corporate, but his Bridge series is very futuristic while still being an extrapolation of late 90s and 00s tech and social trends.

Essentially, post-cyberpunk is taking the speculative magic of cyberpunk and running with it, while stuff that's still cyberpunk or steam- or diesel- or bio- is largely running with the aesthetic nature of the genres.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Unreal just sent out a tweet remind everybody that their engine is free to any student above the age of 12. That's really fucking cool.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Fuck 12

Stay away from my game engine yah kids!

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Fuck 12

Stay away from my game engine yah kids!

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    states are so archaic compared to corporations

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I live in Florida

So, you know

Maybe corporations would be a better alternative

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sessler worked for G4

He hated G4

He is happy it is shutting down

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Yeah. G4 bought out tech TV and absolutely gutted it. It was a real fucking bummer

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I live in Florida

So, you know

Maybe corporations would be a better alternative
    You mean Disney hasn't just bought Florida already?

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Neal Stephenson:
    It evolved into birds.
    *chef fingertip kissing motion* mwah mwah

Twitter, dinosaurs, massive flocks, gradual change, natural process, what a statement.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    hey this is the wrong thread so lemme repost this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFFf5xOFyr0

this is the first kickstarter I've posted in awhile that I'm actually going to back, so here's a summary

Americana Dawn is a JRPG in the vein of Suikoden, drawing influence from the stories of Mark Twain and traditional colonial tall tales. You follow the story of Foster, a spirit from the depths of the sea, as he witnesses the birth of what will become the United States over the course of a hundred years and beyond.

Much like Suikoden, it will feature grid based microbattles and larger scale macrobattles.

Microbattles:
    Turn-based combat in which players select from a roster of options to control a maximum of three characters. Rather than using ‘ability points’ as penalties for actions, Americana Dawn utilizes cooldowns, forcing players to strategize their approach to combat. Enemies deal devastating blows enough to knock out a character in a few hits; players must make deft use of the DIS (Dynamic Interrupt System) to keep enemies on the backfoot, carefully timing abilities to disrupt their maneuvers and limit incoming damage to the party. Using powerful but slow abilities will stifle the flexibility required to emerge victorious.

Each main character is given different weapon types that grant various strategic approaches to combat. As there are no random battles, EXP, or statistical improvements offered, progression is measured by skill acquisition. Characters who are naturally adept at specific weapons have fifteen levels of mastery per item. To further improve the innate strengths or weaknesses of a character, each character has three slots of accessories, which have a large variety of properties.

The music is being crafted in its very own engine and sounds gorgeous.

Estimated Completion Time is around 2.5-3 years.

441855d6071317958d12e6b9c664bded_large.png?1412207270

Rewards:
    Lowest Tier
    Pledge $1 or more

● .jpeg of an eagle tear

Your patriotism is admirable.

Highest Tier:
    in addition to a bunch of goodies,
    58feb57f037cc4807704c2778f5b3536_large.png?1409902972

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    http://i.imgur.com/dLDx66g.gif

Occulas Rift scultping

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Man, Danganronpa

that's a game, alright

sig.gif
  • Options
    I wouldn't have thought it was possible for a visual novel to be a hundred times darker than VLR but there you go I guess.

Also it's an Ace Attorney with social links.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought it was possible for a visual novel to be a hundred times darker than VLR but there you go I guess.

and Super Dangan Ronpa is even better in a whole ton of ways

• Options
    qwer12qwer12 PhilippinesRegistered User regular
    http://i.imgur.com/dLDx66g.gif

Occulas Rift scultping

Holy crap. We're getting closer to the Iron Man virtual computer thing. I love it.

steam_sig.png

PSN: jrrl_absent
  • Options

Just finished chapter 1 and I had to put the game down for a bit because man that game is just an unrelenting assault on your gut.

sig.gif
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Just finished chapter 1 and I had to put the game down for a bit because man that game is just an unrelenting assault on your gut.

Chapter 1 of the first game?

Because, I gotta tell you, as a favor...
    It gets worse.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Chapter 1 of the first game?

Because, I gotta tell you, as a favor...
    It gets worse.

I guessed as much.

The characters don't yet seem to have caught on to the ultimate implication of the rules of the game, which, man.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    oh Super Dangan Ronpa is the sequel woops

yeah the sequel does a magnificent job of out-doing the first game at its own shtick, while also breaking up the formula enough to keep it from being a re-hash

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Yeah I figured that was DGRP2's Japanese name or something.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Tales From The Borderlands starts today, and the reviews are great

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBBeZ9WNY9c

David Jaffe is making a game that's half LA Noire half Ghost Busters.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Is that your interpretation of the logo in the trailer?

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    crossy road is pretty excellent

pretty excellent

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Is that your interpretation of the logo in the trailer?
    PlayStation Experience takes place in Las Vegas in early December, and it's sure to have plenty of announcements and surprises. One of those is getting teased today with a rabbit hole of information (starting with this notebook trailer), and all signs point to a new game by David Jaffe.

A sharp eye will notice a URL in the teaser that points to a site for Bartlet Jones that only contains a video titled "Haunted" (below). A quick Internet search for "Bartlet Jones" leads to The Bartlet Jones Supernatural Detective Agency, which specializes in "ghost hunting, ghost removal, and spectral analysis." Toward the bottom, it lists David Jaffe and Nick Kononelos as employees of the agency. Oh yeah, and it says they make videogames when they're not ghost bustin'.

Judging by this, whatever this game may be looks to focus on tracking down and removing supernatural threats such as spirits, werewolves, and demons. Here's to hoping that this is playable at PlayStation Experience; we'll make sure to bring you all the news and impressions that we can.

David Jaffe's Ghost Problems.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Titlebig.jpg

The guy who made Last Knight created a pretty cool demo of UE4's physics that makes me amazed at how it is now a possibility that one dude can create the core mechanic of Red Faction.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    that's a good game name

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Game of Thrones starts Tuesday

6F32U1X.png
This discussion has been closed.