As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars Rebels] Season 4: May the Fourth Be With Uth

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Uh....Obi-Wan cut him in half.

That undoes a whole lot of personal bonding right quick.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Uh....Obi-Wan cut him in half.

That undoes a whole lot of personal bonding right quick.
    It didn't do anything he didn't already do to himself.

He was already working on killing Padme before Ben stopped him. He already hated everyone and was consumed with the idea that everybody is his worst enemy, the darkside took hold and he became sith. He saw Obi-Wan as nothing more than an obstacle and I doubt he would feel any differently about Ahsoka at this point either.

Darth Vader is a very different person than Anakin Skywalker. Him destroying Ahsoka was always inevitable to me if they crossed paths, I couldn't see it ending any other way if she refused to serve him or the empire.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    That is a different kind of argument and doesn't contain the absurdity of
    ...but he really liked Obi-wan before he cut him in half.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Well, not really.
    I mean, I don't think even cutting Ben down in A new Hope was supposed to be an emotional act or a form of revenge though, just disturbingly cold and detached unfinished business.

He was already going to kill Padme and Obi-Wan (before he cut off Anakin's legs) which goes back to the point I'm trying to get across here.

If he's willing to kill them for speaking against him, why would he spare Ahsoka? Darth Vader at this point is as dead inside as he ever would be at this point in the tale, killing Ahsoka would be a natural course of action for him. Not mercy.

The most I could see him doing is ordering her to die or surrender and serve the empire as one of it's force sensitive agents. Anything more than that, it makes Vader look weaker. But this may just be the way I see the character clouding my judgement on how this would go down.

I always saw his humanity not even beginning to truly resurface until ROTJ and before then he was lil more than a machine husk rather than him just denying it and blocking out the guilt.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I think we're running into the problem of The Clone Wars Anakin vs. Revenge of the Sith Anakin. While they are, technically, the same character, the discrepancy in the skill of the writers for the two installments makes it a Schrodinger's box situation. Would the makers of Rebels make Vader the youngling-slaughtering revenge monster from the movies, or more like the noble-but-extremely-flawed protagonist of the series they created previously, where they tried to subvert and contextualize the movie version at every opportunity?

The thing of interest to me here is that it's still five years before A New Hope, and is, effectively, uncharted territory as far as how to depict Vader. You know, Obi-Wan thinks that he's more evil machine than good man, but what if, you know, there was a different conclusion you could look at from a certain point of view?

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Watching the episode again, looks like the blaster on Ezra's saber functions more like a high powered version of those lil blasts from his slingshot? I could be crazy but doesn't seem like normal blaster fire.

I'm crazy about this weapon. I love the crappy cobbled together look of it and the dual functionality. Its the kind of lightsaber I would want.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Well, not really.
    I mean, I don't think even cutting Ben down in A new Hope was supposed to be an emotional act or a form of revenge though, just disturbingly cold and detached unfinished business.

He was already going to kill Padme and Obi-Wan (before he cut off Anakin's legs) which goes back to the point I'm trying to get across here.

If he's willing to kill them for speaking against him, why would he spare Ahsoka? Darth Vader at this point is as dead inside as he ever would be at this point in the tale, killing Ahsoka would be a natural course of action for him. Not mercy.

The most I could see him doing is ordering her to die or surrender and serve the empire as one of it's force sensitive agents. Anything more than that, it makes Vader look weaker. But this may just be the way I see the character clouding my judgement on how this would go down.

I always saw his humanity not even beginning to truly resurface until ROTJ and before then he was lil more than a machine husk rather than him just denying it and blocking out the guilt.

I thought the OT was pretty clear that Vader is a straight-up murder machine at all times, but Empire begins to show that there's still a man in there, one who would much rather have his son by his side than have to kill him. I mean, still evil, but, as Luke pointed out in Jedi, Vader couldn't bring himself to kill him.

The OT is the story of Anakin's Redemption, hidden in the guise of Luke's fairly standard Hero's Journey.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Watching the episode again, looks like the blaster on Ezra's saber functions more like a high powered version of those lil blasts from his slingshot? I could be crazy but doesn't seem like normal blaster fire.

I'm crazy about this weapon. I love the crappy cobbled together look of it and the dual functionality. Its the kind of lightsaber I would want.
    It looks like it only has a stun setting and a low rate of fire, yes.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Yeah, it's definitely not regular blaster fire. I'd guess he probably used some parts from his slingshot in the construction. Well, I hope he did, because anything that makes the slingshot less likely to show up again in the future gets a thumbs up.
    IIRC, it shoots blue bolts instead of the yellow the slingshot fired. Maybe they're affected by the lightsaber crystal in some way?

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    The Tarkin novel sheds an interesting light on Vader. He runs around with the last of the Clone troopers as his squad leader, and while he threatens him multiple times about failing, he always gives him another chance.

Vader seems to have a soft spot for the things he truly cared about as Anakin. Imperial officers and Rebel Scum just aren't on that list. Ashoka definitely is though. It's even hinted at in the book that Vader doesn't particularly like working with Tarkin because of his role in the trial.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Ahsoka replaces Starkiller (ugh, that name) as Vader's secret apprentice.
    BAM!

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    "Starkiller" is a nod to Luke's last name from the original script.

Also, nah. Though I could see Vader being unable to finish her off because of sentiment, then calling in his new apprentice to do it. Witwer needs more Star Wars voice work, dude is awesome.

• Options
    The Force Unleashed was such a fun, cheesy game.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I liked that game a lot. Its too bad the second one sucked.

Going bonkers with Force powers in the first game was awesome fun. Going super bonkers was just too much.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    BAM!
    Didn't Force Unleashed get nuked out of canon?

It kind of contradicts the concept of the rebellion starting in Rebels aswell.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Yeah. Rebels already established in the last episode that Force Unleashed isn't being kept. In FU, isn't the Rebel symbol based on Starkiller's family crest or whatever? But in the last episode of Rebels, Sabine had painted it inside the Ghost, and Lando mentioned it was the work of a famous artist.

• Options
    I don't think FU was even considered part of Expanded Universe canon. It was just a goofy video game.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I don't think FU was even considered part of Expanded Universe canon. It was just a goofy video game.
    Some of the video games are quite good expanded universe material though.

KOTOR in particular set up a really great/fun era.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    BAM!

Well, the whole EU did. Not quite nuked though, just "probably didn't happen, but we might bring it back if we want."

Rebels takes place between Vader recruiting Starkiller and the attempted coup of the Emperor, so I'm not so sure it "overwrites" anything. Then again, I hadn't really considered that the events of Rebels would literally lead to the founding of the Rebel Alliance.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    \
    jdarksun wrote: »
    BAM!

Well, the whole EU did. Not quite nuked though, just "probably didn't happen, but we might bring it back if we want."

Rebels takes place between Vader recruiting Starkiller and the attempted coup of the Emperor, so I'm not so sure it "overwrites" anything. Then again, I hadn't really considered that the events of Rebels would literally lead to the founding of the Rebel Alliance.

I think Rebels is either going to explicitly lead to the forming of the rebellion or the theft of the Death Star plans, if not both. I'm curious whether the show is going to continue into the rebellion - post Star Wars - or if the last episode will lead directly into A New Hope.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Yeah. Rebels already established in the last episode that Force Unleashed isn't being kept. In FU, isn't the Rebel symbol based on Starkiller's family crest or whatever? But in the last episode of Rebels, Sabine had painted it inside the Ghost, and Lando mentioned it was the work of a famous artist.

IIRC, The symbol that Sabine paints is different from the symbol the Rebellion uses though.
    It's similar, yes, but not identical.
    And Lando's critique sounded (to me anyway) like it was less commenting on the subject of the painting and more on the style used being similar to the famous artist.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    InkSplat wrote: »

IIRC, The symbol that Sabine paints is different from the symbol the Rebellion uses though.
    It's similar, yes, but not identical.
    And Lando's critique sounded (to me anyway) like it was less commenting on the subject of the painting and more on the style used being similar to the famous artist.

Its like me asking a gal if she wants to come up to my place to see my etchings. Lando wanted to tap that Mando.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Well, not really.

Because Palpatine had planted the seed of doubt for both Ben and Padme. He felt betrayed by both of them and wanted revenge. To Anakin, he was defending the Galaxy against the tyranny of the Jedi, the same tyranny that was so quick to judge Ahsoka. If anything, he would see the two as kindred spirits and legit want Ahsoka to join him.

Javen on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I've seen Spark of Rebellion now. It does a lot better than the first episode at actually giving people names, setting up their roles, and explaining what's going on. I'm not really sure I understand why it's a thing on its own, rather than being fully part of season one. Especially considering that it's a 44 minute program with a clear cliffhanger break about halfway through. Spark of Rebellion also let things breath a bit more than the first episode, and held its shots for more than a second, which I appreciated.

After giving it about an hour in hopes it would grow on me, I'm still not fond of the animation in the show. It feels like the character models are designed for a much lower polygon count than they actually have, if that makes sense.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I've seen Spark of Rebellion now. It does a lot better than the first episode at actually giving people names, setting up their roles, and explaining what's going on. I'm not really sure I understand why it's a thing on its own, rather than being fully part of season one. Especially considering that it's a 44 minute program with a clear cliffhanger break about halfway through. Spark of Rebellion also let things breath a bit more than the first episode, and held its shots for more than a second, which I appreciated.

After giving it about an hour in hopes it would grow on me, I'm still not fond of the animation in the show. It feels like the character models are designed for a much lower polygon count than they actually have, if that makes sense.

They released Spark of the Rebellion as a movie on disc before the series actually started, I believe. So it was sort of a marketing thing. It also let them play it on ABC as a "movie" instead of just two episodes of a show that wasn't actually on the channel.

And the animation will get better as they get more resources from more episodes. I personally like most of the character models, as they feel like toys, which makes the toys that much cooler when they look a lot more like the characters--I wouldn't be surprised if they took Disney Infinity as a bit of inspiration.

• Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    The animation certainly has a style to it. I'm not fond of the wookiees, but overall I like it much better than Clone Wars which always seemed off to me.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Well, The Clone Wars took a few seasons for the animation to really take off, too. It's all about building up a library of resources, as InkSplat said. They can only create so many new models per episode, which is why you get a lot of generic looking clone/stormtroopers early on. By later seasons of The Clone Wars, you had episodes entirely about theoretically identical clone troopers who you could identify on-sight by their unique armor, weapon, or mannerisms.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

Well, The Clone Wars took a few seasons for the animation to really take off, too. It's all about building up a library of resources, as InkSplat said. They can only create so many new models per episode, which is why you get a lot of generic looking clone/stormtroopers early on. By later seasons of The Clone Wars, you had episodes entirely about theoretically identical clone troopers who you could identify on-sight by their unique armor, weapon, or mannerisms.

Also just in general the early seasons were way more about having big battle scenes and fights. Which they often did pretty good at, but they were real limited at doing even rudimentary character moments or dialogue.

Later on the focus clearly shifts a bit, and they do a lot better with the quieter moments.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    The Lando episode was great. Running cons all over the place, and still coming out ahead. I think he came off a bit too slimy, but still a fun episode.

Best Parts?: Chopper not being an asshole (I prefer my droids cranky, not jerks) and the puffer pig!

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    The Lando episode was great. Running cons all over the place, and still coming out ahead. I think he came off a bit too slimy, but still a fun episode.

Best Parts?: Chopper not being an asshole (I prefer my droids cranky, not jerks) and the puffer pig!

Lando was basically sleaze impersonified in that episode.
    Like, he was the kind of character that I would've capped on principle in KOTOR or something.

• Options
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Steelhawk wrote: »

Lando was basically sleaze impersonified in that episode.
    Like, he was the kind of character that I would've capped on principle in KOTOR or something.

Yeah, OK. I was going easy on him. He was pretty sleazy.

Still fun though!

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So the new episode is up on demand and thus probably the Disney site.

Spoilers for Vision of Hope
    Good episode. Again Imperials are not just idiot punching bags. Using the senator to basically honey pot into Rebel groups through out the galaxy is pretty genius. The fact that the rebel groups haven't picked up on it yet shows the Imps do a good jobs of messing with the communications of the Rebel groups.

Makes me wonder about this Fulcrum character more now. Since they still thought the senator was one of the good guys. Also it seems Ezras folks are more well know then we thought.

Also some good fights. Sabine showing how bad ass she really is. Also how the Empire knows who the crew is by name now. If anything their life is becoming harder not easier.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Am I the only one still watching?

Sad if true because it keeps getting better.

This episode Call to Action has an excellent set up already.
    Tarkin landing in a Lambda Shuttle escorted by ties. Executing the incompetant imperials who have failed. He has the cold calculating side that full believes in the Empire and gives no fucks on who must die to accomplish his mission.

Fear will keep the population indeed.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Sad if true because it keeps getting better.

This episode Call to Action has an excellent set up already.
    Tarkin landing in a Lambda Shuttle escorted by ties. Executing the incompetant imperials who have failed. He has the cold calculating side that full believes in the Empire and gives no fucks on who must die to accomplish his mission.

Fear will keep the population indeed.
    I've actually been expecting Tarkin, as the show seems to be connected to his novel in some ways, so I've been trying not to talk about things too much.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I watch constantly! Well, when there are new eps. Really enjoy it.

• Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    That episode was really good.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I think the issue is new eps are going up on digital and on demand before the tv premeire and nobody wants to post a whole discussion in spoiler tags.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    New episode
    Have the makers explained why this Senator in exile looks exactly like David Niven? Seem likes a weird choice.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    tarkin does not fuck around

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    So where can you get this show on streaming the earliest?

I'd be perfectly happy paying for it, but it seems like it's on 4 different services who all get the episodes at different times.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.