As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars Rebels] Season 4: May the Fourth Be With Uth

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I'm honestly not hugely interested in the characters so far. Hopefully it'll get better.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    She is attractive, but so is everyone else.
    Uh... Hera? Not so much. I find her kinda annoying in that "Team Mom" sort of way. That episode you're talking about ("Out of Darkness") put that to the forefront in a way that had me rolling my eyes at her "I know everything and I know best" comments.

Yup.

0.jpg

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Let me know when Ezra is in one of the movies.

Don't be this guy. Disney says it's cannon, it's cannon.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

What they say is irrelevant without action. As long as the flow of continuity is in only one direction it's an expanded universe.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    So I watched this show and it's a pretty cool show

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Houn wrote: »

What they say is irrelevant without action. As long as the flow of continuity is in only one direction it's an expanded universe.

The flow of continuity is in Disney's hands, what they say is law on canon. The movies don't have to reference Rebels to be canon - the EU is Legends.

edit: The PT didn't reference any of the events in TCW or Ahsoka, yet they were considered canon. And still are.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Also, your friendly reminder from someone with an English degree:

Cannon: Something you fire at charging cavalry during a Napoleonic skirmish, or at an orbiting blockade, if the ion variety.
    Canon: Something that is "bible truth" for a franchise.

A historian firing a cannon at you means something different than if he brandishes firey canon at you.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Is it weird that I kind of like the EU a lot more now that the stuff from before the cutoff date is definitively non-canonical? I enjoy some of the pulpier EU stuff but I am also pretttty okay with not letting that stuff define the shape of my expectations.

I like to think of some of the EU as though it were fiction from that galaxy far, far away. So, not canon because it was just stories told within the fictional world. Nested fictions in my head canon.

This is pretty much the way I view it as well, though maybe less anachronistic? It's cool to be able to spend more time with characters you like, even when it's not strictly speaking "true."

I feel like this show shouldn't have a ton of impact on the stuff I care about in-universe, so it's hard to worry about it much. It's more like, hooray, more Star Wars flavored thing, for me.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Greeper wrote: »
    sabine is way more badass than boba fett

need i remind you that boba fett was accidentally killed by a blind man

he isn't exactly the pinnacle of mandalorian prowess

Boba Fett wasn't a graffiti artist either

Sabine: 2
    Fett: 0

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »

He was. You just weren't able to see it since Vader said "No disintegrations."

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I hope HK is canon, but even if he's not, Chopper seems to be channeling his spirit.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

Meh, any ametuer can take 'em in dead. It takes a real professional to take someone in alive.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

Meh, any ametuer can take 'em in dead. It takes a real professional to take someone in alive.

I think he meant Boba Fett's artwork was the splash of gristle and remains.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

Hardly any challenge to it when Vader packs the damn crate for you

• Options
    Yeah, Boba's greatest accomplishment in the movies was figuring out how a starship too small for a cloaking device could disappear from radar. All he did from there was tell Vader and then followed his coat tales.

Then in Jedi, when Leia busted out the thermal detonator, all he did was point his gun at it, as if that would stop a grenade. Boba Fett is overrated.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Yeah, Boba's greatest accomplishment in the movies was figuring out how a starship too small for a cloaking device could disappear from radar. All he did from there was tell Vader and then followed his coat tales.

Then in Jedi, when Leia busted out the thermal detonator, all he did was point his gun at it, as if that would stop a grenade. Movie Boba Fett is overrated.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

Then in Jedi, when Leia busted out the thermal detonator, all he did was point his gun at it, as if that would stop a grenade. Canon Boba Fett that is overrated.

• Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    Non-movie boba fett is what happens when a bunch of neckbeards are like: HE MUST BE SO COOL then jerk off onto three hundred pages and pretend it's a book.

I fucking hate nerds.

• Options
    What makes me just the tiniest bit sad is that judging by the timeline and everything else
    The guess that Sabine is probably Some Other Fett Clone feels uncomfortably plausible.

I'm going to say that if this is true, it is just the teensiest bit of poetic justice that Sabine is already cooler than the rest of the Fett clan.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I fucking hate nerds.
    So...
    Does someone else want to tip Greeper off as to where he is right now? Or should we just let it go?

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Non-movie boba fett is what happens when a bunch of neckbeards are like: HE MUST BE SO COOL then jerk off onto three hundred pages and pretend it's a book.

I fucking hate nerds.

I'm always amused by the Clone Wars Mandalorians

Cuz that's basically what Death Watch is, too.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options

I fucking hate nerds.

That's how he began, yes. But they actually did make books about this, no pretending required. It's not like the books were fanfic. Have you read Bounty Hunter Wars? It's really good.

What happened with Fett wasn't an isolated case. Characters obscure and popular all got that in the EU. Sith and Jedi became ungodly powerful in the EU, which dwarfed their abilities in the movies. Darth Vader himself got this, despite his average performance with the Force in PT and constantly telling is he's the greatest Jedi/Sith ever man. Palpatine created Force Storms that devastated planets and had clone bodies he resurrected himself into after dying in the OT.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    The EU makes my head hurt

why does every single jedi have to be laser sword ninja superhero, why does palpatine have to be able to lightning an entire planet, the worst thing is that Lucas bought into all of this

before I had seen the PT I thought Yoda's greatest strength was as a teacher and his wisdom, after the PT apparently it's because he's the best lightsaber wielding volleyball in the galaxy. Before the PT I thought the emperor's greatest strength was manipulation and that he was nonetheless imposing on a personal level because of his force powers, but apparently he's also a lightsaber ninja and you could just replace the death star with his force ejaculate

override367 on
  • Options
    WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    Yeah, all the lightsaber fights in the original trilogy were way more subdued, Lucas got way too into flashy special affects and choreography in the prequels. Things couldn't be subtle, or subdued anymore they had to be super awesome, and everyone suffered power creep because of it.

• Options
    edited November 2014

I fucking hate nerds.

That's how he began, yes. But they actually did make books about this, no pretending required. It's not like the books were fanfic. Have you read Bounty Hunter Wars? It's really good.

What happened with Fett wasn't an isolated case. Characters obscure and popular all got that in the EU. Sith and Jedi became ungodly powerful in the EU, which dwarfed their abilities in the movies. Darth Vader himself got this, despite his average performance with the Force in PT and constantly telling is he's the greatest Jedi/Sith ever man. Palpatine created Force Storms that devastated planets and had clone bodies he resurrected himself into after dying in the OT.

Yeah, that's part of the problem. The EU taking some minor character, like Biggs, and turning them into some crazy superhero whom would actually overshadow the established characters in the movies if they shared the same characterization.

Which is why I dismiss Boba Fett. If his EU stories get to make him a super-badass, ninja-pirate-bounty hunter, then all of a sudden you have to accept that Biggs was too.

Which is stupid.

Biggs was simply a pilot and a friend of Luke's. Boba Fett wasn't special either.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Yeah, all the lightsaber fights in the original trilogy were way more subdued, Lucas got way too into flashy special affects and choreography in the prequels. Things couldn't be subtle, or subdued anymore they had to be super awesome, and everyone suffered power creep because of it.

That has more to do with the "movies" rather than Star Wars. You can't expect a movie made in our modern times, with special effects, technology and etc. to be have the same visual impact as movies made in 1977-83. Hell, even between ANH and ROTJ, everything got amped up. The whole industry is different and today's movie going audiences expect a modern style of action.

Many, many things can be blamed on George. I don't think this is one of them.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    My favourite thing about Biggs is that in the X-wing minature's game, if you shoot at a fighter next to Biggs, you end up shooting at Biggs instead.

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Steelhawk wrote: »

That has more to do with the "movies" rather than Star Wars. You can't expect a movie made in our modern times, with special effects, technology and etc. to be have the same visual impact as movies made in 1977-83. Hell, even between ANH and ROTJ, everything got amped up. The whole industry is different and today's movie going audiences expect a modern style of action.

TCW had the proper power levels for Force users. Not too powerful like the EU, nor too weak when technology has made what they did in the OT look weak.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I have never been a fan in the equivalency to force power and lightsaber prowess. Yoda picking up a lightsaber was the point where the PT fell completely off the wagon.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I have never been a fan in the equivalency to force power and lightsaber prowess. The Phantom Menace was the point where the PT fell completely off the wagon.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I have never been a fan in the equivalency to force power and lightsaber prowess. Yoda picking up a lightsaber was the point where the PT fell completely off the wagon.
    I don't know if it was Yoda picking up his saber, jumping around like a cracked out muppet with his lightsaber, or deciding that his fight with Dooku would be better solved with lightsabers as opposed to force mastery. But it was definitely around that point that I got that sinking feeling that things weren't suddenly going to turn around towards awesome.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I do like how Ezra's babby force awareness is mostly on the level of scrunching his face up to push a button a few feet away. It feels on par with Luke pulling the light saber to his hand in Empire Strikes Back.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »

TCW had the proper power levels for Force users. Not too powerful like the EU, nor too weak when technology has made what they did in the OT look weak.

Which Clone Wars cartoon? The animated movie and ongoing series? I agree. And that was the same power level as the PT, I would say. Which is consistent. And we haven't seen that much Jedi action on Rebels yet, but it looks to be consistent as well. There are no Knights or Masters here. Just a lapsed Padawan and a youngling.

However, the first set of Clone Wars cartoons (the 20 or so five minute shorts) were bonkers in the most awesome of ways. Yoda throwing space ships, Mace using the force to tear the bolts right out of Battle Droids, causing them to fall apart. The three episode long duel between an angry Anakin and Asajj Ventriss. General Grevious actually being frightening and a challenge to multiple Jedi on the battlefield...

I can appreciate different takes on the Star Wars universe via different media. Comics are different from video games are different from novels. Its all good with me. Getting bent out of shape between the various forms or interpretations of our favorite movie universe is a waste of time and energy. I'd rather enjoy them as they come, and appreciate them for what they are.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

I fucking hate nerds.

Yeah, that's part of the problem. The EU taking some minor character, like Biggs, and turning them into some crazy superhero whom would actually overshadow the established characters in the movies if they shared the same characterization.

Which is why I dismiss Boba Fett. If his EU stories get to make him a super-badass, ninja-pirate-bounty hunter, then all of a sudden you have to accept that Biggs was too.

Which is stupid.

Biggs was simply a pilot and a friend of Luke's. Boba Fett wasn't special either.

In the film, Fett was a guy Darth Vader considered valuable and useful. Useful enough that he could fucking mouth off and Vader's response was "Don't fucking worry about it, I'll pay you if this goes to shit." instead of his response to pretty much everyone else's whining. (IE, Force Choke or "I am altering the deal. PRAY I do not alter it any further.") And Darth Vader treats this guy like a LOOSE CANNON.

There's a reason people assumed he was a major badass.

Which is just as well, as he's probably going to be a regular supporting player in the upcoming Darth Vader comics, and odds are low he's going to be shown as a fuckup there.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

I fucking hate nerds.

Which is stupid.

In the film, Fett was a guy Darth Vader considered valuable and useful. Useful enough that he could fucking mouth off and Vader's response was "Don't fucking worry about it, I'll pay you if this goes to shit." instead of his response to pretty much everyone else's whining. (IE, Force Choke or "I am altering the deal. PRAY I do not alter it any further.") And Darth Vader treats this guy like a LOOSE CANNON.

Which is just as well, as he's probably going to be a regular supporting player in the upcoming Darth Vader comics, and odds are low he's going to be shown as a fuckup there.

I dunno, it seems like Vader was being ... professionally courteous? He typically gave each of his underlings at least one opportunity to not fuck up, generally speaking

we're getting pretty far off the track of the TV show here, though.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

I fucking hate nerds.

Which is stupid.

I dunno, it seems like Vader was being ... professionally courteous? He typically gave each of his underlings at least one opportunity to not fuck up, generally speaking

How many of his underlings talked back, though? The "He's no use to me dead" line - especially with the original voice acting - sounds a bit like a threat.

And, man, I miss the original Boba Fett voice acting. Yeah, it was stereotypically growly, but I like it a lot more than hearing a polite New Zealander.

• Options

I fucking hate nerds.

Which is stupid.

I always interpretted that as Vader being, well not happy, but less an a-hole cause he finally got Luke's friends. So he treated Boba's aggresiveness the same way I treat a playful kitten. If he wanted to, Vader could crush a Boba as easily as I crush kittens. But Vader was in a good mood and Boba was being so adorable.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Vader's always been a bit odd in the first movie. Like, he'll force choke random dudes, but then there's random space admirals who can tell him to knock that shit off with seemingly zero concern for their own safety.

...Y'know I really need to rewatch the OT again

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2014

I fucking hate nerds.

Which is stupid.

I always interpretted that as Vader being, well not happy, but less an a-hole cause he finally got Luke's friends. So he treated Boba's aggresiveness the same way I treat a playful kitten. If he wanted to, Vader could crush a Boba as easily as I crush kittens. But Vader was in a good mood and Boba was being so adorable.

That seems an awful lot like reading past the situation instead of accepting the situation as presented. We're told that bounty hunters are scum. Vader ignores most of them, but singles out one guy in armor to tell them not to disintegrate anything - and the bounty hunter gets a line in English. Later, we see them following Our Heroes - an indication of suspense.

Later, the bounty hunter gets more speaking lines and interaction with Vader. That hunter is presented as being a big deal, shoots at our heroes to stop them from following him, and escapes with Han.

The bounty hunter (who isn't referred to by name, iirc) is presented as a real threat, a minor villain, and successfully kidnaps one of the heroes. That's not supposed to be cute, it's presented as menacing.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Vader's always been a bit odd in the first movie. Like, he'll force choke random dudes, but then there's random space admirals who can tell him to knock that shit off with seemingly zero concern for their own safety.

...Y'know I really need to rewatch the OT again

Well you figure by this point, he had known Tarkin for over a decade. Vader was toying with that officer, but he was also not Vader's direct subordinate, like in other cases, he was Tarkin's. Alternatively:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jdQqjcsfC8