As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Daylight Savings

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I think it's a big fat dumb.
    Same with factory work. When I worked in a manufacturing plant, there was no cares given to sunlight, we worked 12 hour shifts year round. No sunlight for you!

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    edit: DST doesn't prevent double posts? Wtf refund!

davidsdurions on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Chicago and New York should be on separate schedules.

Chicago and New York are on separate schedules because they're in different timezones. And since they both observe daylight savings time that doesn't change their schedules relative to each other.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    So, I commute to work, and during certain days of the year (let's say, the middle two weeks of October), the sun is right in my frickin' face in the morning and blinding my rear-view mirrors in the evening (or worse, reflecting off of the car in front of me so it STILL blinds my face). If DST didn't exist, then it would only be two weeks out of the year that this happens. But NOOOooo. Because of DST, I have to suffer the blinding sun on my morning and evening drives for another frickin' two weeks! Because it just so happens that when DST occurs in the fall, it moves my schedule back to the solar rhythm which shoves the sun into "blind my eyes" region.

Down with DST.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    The whole point of mechanical clocks is to aid in coordination. Having a universally agreed upon time when 11:00 is 11:00 is 11:00 makes sense because it is universal. Having that change to a different time, the change itself occurring on different days, and going in different directions depending on being in the northern or summer hemisphere is the antithesis of the problem that clocks were invented to solve. And it isn't even universally applied anyway.

370px-DaylightSaving-World-Subdivisions.png

Ben Franklin was wrong, and sleepy french whores were right.

You'd think some of that would have... rubbed off on him.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    It's easy to remember when the fall change in the states is, though. The Sunday after Halloween. I believe this was due to the candy lobby wanting more sunlight for trick-or-treaters.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Echo wrote: »
    B1ckAYhCEAAHYnM.png:large

Love it.

And I'm no libertarian, but I always liked this:

TodUA.jpg

As well as being dumb as bricks, it's an anachronism that does more harm than good. I totally agree that it's here mostly because of inertia; if we didn't have it and anyone suggested it now, they'd be laughed at.

Jazz on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I regard daylight savings positively.
    I'm all for DST because I like listening to people whinge about it.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Who is a farmer anymore anyway? It's not like we have all these family farmers that get to choose when they start and end the day. They're all employees of factory farms working defined shifts.

• Options
    KongoKongo Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Unless I'm misunderstanding (which is very possible) some of the complaints I'm seeing, based on what's being said, it seems like some of y'all think that DST is what just started today. In fact, what started today is Standard Time, not DST (we just finished with DST). So yeah, if you like the time schedule we're now on, you're anti-DST, and vice-versa.

EDIT: I prefer Standard Time (what we're on now) because I find it easier to wake up when there's daylight outside. If it's still dark out, getting out of bed is much harder for me. But as others have said, I'd be okay if they just picked a time and stuck with it.

Kongo on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    It seems like most of the time I hear someone complain about DST, they don't realize that it starts in the Spring and ends in the Fall. What we're seeing right now is normal time. Personally I prefer DST hours because I would rather it be dark when I wake up than when I get out of work. Though I think the jumping back and forth is stupid so I would prefer we just kept normal time and did everything an hour earlier.

Zek on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Who is a farmer anymore anyway? It's not like we have all these family farmers that get to choose when they start and end the day. They're all employees of factory farms working defined shifts.

All the farmers I knew in school hated DST with a passion. Cows don't wear watches and don't give a shit so long as you milk them at the same time every day.

• Options
    Daenris wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »
    Chicago and New York should be on separate schedules.

Chicago and New York are on separate schedules because they're in different timezones. And since they both observe daylight savings time that doesn't change their schedules relative to each other.

Eh, we are and we aren't. A lot of businesses will have their shift be 8-4 instead of 9-5 so that it'll line up with a New York office. Not everybody, but it isn't all that uncommon. But DST has nothing to do with it.

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    B...b...but, farmers, guys! Or something. Economic impact, etc.

My stupid state didn't observe this shit for the longest time, then we were all like "hey, let's join the stupid-train" in 2006.

It'd be less of a pain in the dick if I didn't have a kid. Kids don't like going to sleep when it looks like it's noon outside, apparently.

Gosh, is not that truth. I'm originally from Indiana, and what drove me bonkers was the fact that the majority of the state goes to the EST time zones while only Northwest an Southwest Indiana stay in the central zone? WTF?
    intimed.gif

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I'm kinda glad that the only effect DST has on me is whether I'm late for a raid or not, because I live in Honolulu.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    B...b...but, farmers, guys! Or something. Economic impact, etc.

My stupid state didn't observe this shit for the longest time, then we were all like "hey, let's join the stupid-train" in 2006.

It'd be less of a pain in the dick if I didn't have a kid. Kids don't like going to sleep when it looks like it's noon outside, apparently.

Gosh, is not that truth. I'm originally from Indiana, and what drove me bonkers was the fact that the majority of the state goes to the EST time zones while only Northwest an Southwest Indiana stay in the central zone? WTF?
    intimed.gif

Well, it was basically because Lake and Porter counties are essentially part of Chicago and wanted to make it easier for shift workers at Gary and South Works. Don't know why anybody else decided to change.

• Options
    KongoKongo Registered User regular

You live in DC, right? Take a drive out here to Central MD, and all of our farms are family owned. A lot of private Mennonite farms too (we just bought a 1/4 cow from one to put into the big freezer). It's pretty nice as we get free-range organic meat and dairy for much less than at a grocery store and have developed pretty good relationships with the people we buy our food from (many are happy to give tours). We mostly just go the grocery store for stuff like snacks and "little things" now.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    every state should have its own time zone and change at least three times per year

"sorry pardner, I can't help you this afternoon... it's 5PM on Texas Time"

spool32 on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    dst was dumped in the uk for 3 years in the late 60s and it was great

then it came back because mass crying by idiots

dst is a huge waste of time

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    WASTE OF TIME GEDDIT

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Who is a farmer anymore anyway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_P7yWnAAd0

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    Obviously, Daylight Savings Time is a load of horseshit.

In addition to all of the other terrible things about the switch, every goddamn year I have to hear people slander the memory of Benjamin Franklin.

Folks, Ben Franklin did not "invent", "propose", "come up with", or in any other way endorse this nonsense.

Here's the letter he wrote to the Journal of Paris in 1784 that people point to:

http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/franklin3.html

Anyone who actually reads the thing can see that it's a hilarious piece of eighteenth-century trolling and not an actual proposal.

Daylight Savings Time was actually invented by some jackass from New Zealand; leave Ben out of it.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

All the farmers I knew in school hated DST with a passion. Cows don't wear watches and don't give a shit so long as you milk them at the same time every day.

Yeah I see this weird idea that DST is supposed to be a benefit to farmers. It isn't. Animals and plants don't have clocks and having the same time the whole year round is better.

The purpose of DST is to have longer evenings and daylight after work. It is for the benefit of the 9 to 5 workers in the rest of society. The world was already heavily industrialised in the early 1900s after all.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    There's no way to get rid of Daylight Savings. Even though many enlightened liberals here are opposed to it, the masses take comfort in routine and will resist change.

You're stuck with it for the rest of your life.

• Options
    There is also an idea of keeping DST year round. As Russia did.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Same with factory work. When I worked in a manufacturing plant, there was no cares given to sunlight, we worked 12 hour shifts year round. No sunlight for you!

Well we have electric lighting now so they wouldnt care so much about sunlight.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    By the way, Alabama is the state that is going to consider the DST issue, and the senator in question isn't my senator, but as this article says, if he were my senator, I'd vote for him.

http://www.nola.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2014/10/legislator_pushes_to_make_dayl.html

The proposal is to eliminate standard time, as opposed to DST.

Which is most people's preference, but as has been said before, either would be preferable just fucking pick one.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Julius wrote: »

Yeah I see this weird idea that DST is supposed to be a benefit to farmers. It isn't. Animals and plants don't have clocks and having the same time the whole year round is better.

The purpose of DST is to have longer evenings and daylight after work. It is for the benefit of the 9 to 5 workers in the rest of society. The world was already heavily industrialised in the early 1900s after all.

Exactly, which is why it's even more ridiculous.

Fucking with the clocks of an entire country is obviously way more rational than just letting people go home from work earlier.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I prefer winter time to summer time.

I also live in the subtropics so it's not as great a change for me as it would be for a northerner

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    I dislike time changes.

The argument against daylight savings time even has a test case in the US - Arizona. I've spent a few months there and they seem to get along just fine without it.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »

Exactly, which is why it's even more ridiculous.

Fucking with the clocks of an entire country is obviously way more rational than just letting people go home from work earlier.

Well, it allows for uniformity. Though seeing how any individual firm can set their hours however they want, that only really materializes in the sense that people have a social expectation of when places are open and when you should be at your desk, and its hard to fight that inertia as a random company. "Whaddya mean you decided to close at 8:00, but only when it's cold out?"

Still idiotic, though.

• Options
    BaalorBaalor Registered User regular
    Most people associate time with the sun so it makes perfect sense for some regions.
    We can get rid of DST the day we all switch to a global time where 12.00 means its 12.00 everywhere!

• Options
    By the way, Alabama is the state that is going to consider the DST issue, and the senator in question isn't my senator, but as this article says, if he were my senator, I'd vote for him.

http://www.nola.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2014/10/legislator_pushes_to_make_dayl.html

Which is most people's preference, but as has been said before, either would be preferable just fucking pick one.

Yeah put me in for "always summer time". The biggest disadvantage I see is the sun will come up really late in the winter.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

Yeah put me in for "always summer time". The biggest disadvantage I see is the sun will come up really late in the winter.

Since the choice is between driving to work/school in the dark or driving to work/school with the sun directly in my eyes, I know which one I'll take every time.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    DST can go pound sand.

It being dark at like 5PM is the worst worst worst.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    DST can go pound sand.

Ain't that standard time?

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    redx wrote: »
    DST can go pound sand.

Yes that is standard time. DST time is when it's still dark when you get into work at 9.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Just an aside: We're going to use the "yes" people to generate a list for who is going to help the harvest next year right?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    DST can go pound sand.

Yes that is standard time. DST time is when it's still dark when you get into work at 9.

But I get to work at 8, so that doesn't make a difference.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Hah yeah I never really think about which is which. Think of it more like a shitty awful poop switch that makes it darker earlier and that's the worst yuck.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu