As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to MOUTHFEEL an American [BEER]MOUTHFEEL

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Or actually what is a good online supplier of equipment? Noe of this sounds incredibly complicated.

Mind you I only want to make a small batch.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Here's my collection for the night. Some might not get drank since I have to work tomorrow.
    ivy8nbj7u3ao.jpg

I am bad at taking photos.

Magell on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Please remove the beer goggle lens from your phone and try again.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Please remove the beer goggle lens from your phone and try again.

Shit, I should have read the instructions to learn how to do that.

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Does anyone here do any brewing and filter their beer? I have some questions.
    I do pretty entry level home brews. 5 gallon batches with very basic filtering techniques. Cold crashing, gelatin, maybe irish moss in the boil.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    It's too bad all the alcoholic beverages I like are distilled.

Home brewing sounds like it'd be neat.

Depending on the state you can distill your own spirits for private consumption.

No. Your state may not have a law against it but distilling spirits without a permit is a federal felony, with a 5 year sentence. And the TTB has been getting a lot more aggressive about policing the law.

http://reason.com/blog/2014/07/15/feds-take-a-sudden-interest-in-busting-h

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I do pretty entry level home brews. 5 gallon batches with very basic filtering techniques. Cold crashing, gelatin, maybe irish moss in the boil.
    Cool, I have some non beer questions for you.

Basically I've been making my own tonic, and it's pretty simple, but the difficulty comes when it comes to filter fines out of the boil.

The bark that makes the tonic crushes easily and crushes ridiculously fine. After I boil it I can filter it using coffee filters, but it takes over twenty filters to do a litre of concentrate I've tried muslin cloth and it immediately jams with sediment. I'm hoping beer filtration techniques might be able to increase the fine size of the bark and allow me to use coffee filters again, or if anyone knows a better / easier way. Do you have any advice regarding this?

• Options
    Here's the beer I'm drinking now.
    wp6norokplou.jpg

The lime really mellows out the habanero pepper. Still got a nice burn in the aftertaste, but nothing too bad.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Oddside is so good.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Holy shit you guys, I just found out I left a bottle of Vertical Epic in my parent's freezer. 11.11.11

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular

Basically I've been making my own tonic, and it's pretty simple, but the difficulty comes when it comes to filter fines out of the boil.

The bark that makes the tonic crushes easily and crushes ridiculously fine. After I boil it I can filter it using coffee filters, but it takes over twenty filters to do a litre of concentrate I've tried muslin cloth and it immediately jams with sediment. I'm hoping beer filtration techniques might be able to increase the fine size of the bark and allow me to use coffee filters again, or if anyone knows a better / easier way. Do you have any advice regarding this?

I'm not sure our homebrew filter techniques will work for that.

Most of homebrew filtering takes place in the boil (Irish moss) or cold crashing, which is just chilling it to get all the crap to settle and then siphoning the beer out.

I don't know if tonic can be cold crashed.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

Have you tried using a French press?

The only other thing I can think of is to let your batch sit long enough for the fines and sediment to settle to the bottom, and then siphon the tonic off the top of it, trying not to disturb the sediment.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    This thing is five years old, I can't wait.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I recently moved out of San Diego. About 300 miles away.

Sculpin 6 packs are some how $4 cheaper here.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options

Cold crashing, along with gelatin should reduce the amount of bark particulate circulating in the tonic before you transfer it into the next container (should make it easier to filter through a coffee filter (you may have seen this http://www.alcademics.com/2012/05/homemade-tonic-water-filtration.html).
    Getting the liquid cold for a couple days should help the solids settle out (the beer cold crash is supposed to be getting it down to around 33F for around 48 hours). Hitting it with a pasteurized gelatin solution (I've been using around 1/2 tsp of plain gelatin powder in 1/4 cup filtered water) should pick up some of the loose stuff still floating around and keeping it cold will get the gelatin to settle out and out of the way for when you transfer the tonic out.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I read that link Buttons, but to be honest, I have no idea how that system works.

How I did it yesterday was let it settle for a day and carefully ladelled off the top liquid and I got about half of it very clear and used minimal filters for that half.

The second half I first dropped a muslin cloth on top of the bowl so anything I was scooping had passed through it but was too close to the settling material and stirred up too much sediment. I ladelled off about half of that (and comparatively it was not very clean compared to the first lot) before I just got too close to the sediment and then couldn't ladel anymore so I threw the rest in muslin cloth along with the fines and squeezed the rest through. That last part was super sedimenty though and it took a lot of filtering for me to clean up that part.

I'm hoping for something that can really clump everything together to allow for less stir up when I interact with it.

A large volume french press may work ok? I could put it in, let it settle, then press it slowly and hopefully keep the majority of the sediment down if I pour it off again, but I'm not sure if it will work well or not.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Actually reading that again link again, I understand what he did.

I'm not sure if that would work particularly better though.

Reading his recipe, he is talking about filtering only half a cup of liquid. I'm around the four cup stage. I'm not sure if his setup is really scalable that scalable.

Aeropresses I've found have their own issues in that once the clog, they just push liquid to the side and bypass the filter and no actual filtration takes place.

Blake T on
  • Options
    getting success with just letting it sit around to settle out makes me think you'd see good results with putting it in the fridge for a couple days before decanting. If you can find out whether the bark powder is positively or negatively charged, you can get the proper clarifying agent to bind with and drop more of it from the solution.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    It's too bad all the alcoholic beverages I like are distilled.

Home brewing sounds like it'd be neat.

Depending on the state you can distill your own spirits for private consumption.

No. Your state may not have a law against it but distilling spirits without a permit is a federal felony, with a 5 year sentence. And the TTB has been getting a lot more aggressive about policing the law.

http://reason.com/blog/2014/07/15/feds-take-a-sudden-interest-in-busting-h

Good to know. I'm going to pass that on to my buddy, he has been getting into the whole concept of distilling pretty hard. He even said he looked it up. Guess not!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    So Laughing Dog Huckleberry Cream Ale is probably the beer of the summer for me.

And the "get messed up quick" beer of the summer is Ballast Point Barmy. Apricot and Honey Golden Ale - at 12% ABV.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I read that link Buttons, but to be honest, I have no idea how that system works.

How I did it yesterday was let it settle for a day and carefully ladelled off the top liquid and I got about half of it very clear and used minimal filters for that half.

The second half I first dropped a muslin cloth on top of the bowl so anything I was scooping had passed through it but was too close to the settling material and stirred up too much sediment. I ladelled off about half of that (and comparatively it was not very clean compared to the first lot) before I just got too close to the sediment and then couldn't ladel anymore so I threw the rest in muslin cloth along with the fines and squeezed the rest through. That last part was super sedimenty though and it took a lot of filtering for me to clean up that part.

I'm hoping for something that can really clump everything together to allow for less stir up when I interact with it.

A large volume french press may work ok? I could put it in, let it settle, then press it slowly and hopefully keep the majority of the sediment down if I pour it off again, but I'm not sure if it will work well or not.

I think the first thing you should do is get yourself an auto-siphon and length of tubing and use that instead of a ladle. You could try lining a fine mesh filter with a double layer of cheesecloth too and siphoning through that into another vessel.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    ..... if you want to get experimental... you could try a gelatin filtered consumme technique (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consommé#Gelatin-filtered_.22consomm.C3.A9.22)
    (I believe the wiki references this (http://www.curiouscook.com/site/2007/10/curious-cook-in-the-new-york-times-clarifying-liquids-with-gelatin.html) specifically)

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    Going through my wallet today I found a growler punch card for a defunct brewery..,and I was only 6 growlers away from a free fill.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Going through my wallet today I found a growler punch card for a defunct brewery..,and I was only 6 growlers away from a free fill.

Alright, Costanza.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Noisymunk wrote: »

Alright, Costanza.

To be fair it only got shut down in Feb.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Grabbed Tioga-Sequia Mt Whitney XPA. Good stuff. Has the flavor of a DIPA, but the alcohol is just over a session.

I almost wrote T-S off because their Firefall red wasnt very impressive. Glad gave them another go. Will have to stop by the brewery some time.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Perrin's No Rules was on tap so I had to get it even though it's only a five ounce pour. 14% and damn good.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I mentioned this shit in another thread and now I can't stop thinking about it and I know I'm never gunna find another bottle of it ever again and it is killing me.

Fuck it, I'm hitting the bottle shops on the way home.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    MillerCoors bought Terrapin (GA).

The press release was cookie-cutter as hell, so Beervana created this for easy use in the future and it's so spot-on it hurts:
    ========================================

Introducing the Buy-out
    [ _______________ ] announced today an agreement to acquire a majority interest in [ ________ ]-based [ __________ ] Brewing Company.

Expression of Delight in Finding the Perfect Buyer
    “Bringing [ __________ ] on allowed us to get to know each other better and realize the incredible potential of becoming a majority-owned partner with [ __________ ] ,” said [ __________ ] , co-founder and vice president of brewing development. “With [ __________ ] 's dedication to helping us grow and their passion for creating high-quality craft beers, we knew it would be the perfect partnership. We look forward to continuing to create innovative beers to share with beer lovers nationwide.”

Anodyne History of the Acquired Brewery
    [ ________ ] founders [ ________ ] and [ ________ ] set out in 20## to craft beers unlike any that were available in the [ ________ ] at the time, choosing [ ________ ] as home base because of its distinctive culture and shared appreciation for [ ________ ]. The 84,000-square-foot brewery and 100-barrel brew house creates year-round and seasonal beers including [ ________ ], [ ________ ], and [ ________ ].

Expression of Delight in Finding Perfect Craft Brewery to Buy
    “The team at [ ________ ] is so passionate and committed to brewing such terrific beers that we are thrilled to welcome them deeper into the [ ________ ] family,” said [ ________ ], president and CEO of [ ________ ] . “As owners, our job is to work collaboratively with their team to support their continued success with their innovative, award-winning beers that complement our portfolio perfectly.”

Concluding Corporate Statements

[ ________ ] Company joins other leading crafts in the [ ________ ] portfolio, including [ ________ ] Brewing Company, [ ________ ] Brewing Company and [ ________ ] Brewing Company. For more information on [ ________ ] Company and its portfolio of brands, visit [ ________ ] .com. The transaction is expected to complete in MONTH/YEAR. The terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Saw a poster for a small town brewfest.

Only brewer on the poster was Budweiser.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

That makes sense.

• Options

That makes sense.

Googling the event turned up a news article from a previous year listing the interesting brews such as "Red Hook Longhammer” and “popular Japanese brew Kirin Ichiban"

<sigh>

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Tonight is Denver Summer Brew Fest woooo!

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    It's like Christmas in July.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Tonight is Denver Summer Brew Fest woooo!

Both days have brewery lists that look preeeeeetty good.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I just found out that a brewery called Three Weavers is less than a mile from my apartment. Going to have to check them out sometime soon.

• Options
    Brewfest happening this Saturday. There shouldn't be any budweiser there, but I haven't seen any listings for who will actually be there (It's central Wisconsin, I'm not too worried. New Glarus and Central Waters should be there). Last year it was around 95 degrees and everyone brought their stouts and porters... Supposed to be cooler and some cloud this year, but hopefully they've all decided to bring more sessions and saisons just in case.

• Options
    Yeah, it seems like the OBF has slowly adapted to the weather over the last decade or so to the point where if dark beer selection hits double digits, I'm surprised.

Speaking of which - IT'S THIS WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK.

Really looking forward to the international side tent this year. Besides the Dutch contingent continuing to fulfill an oath that they'll keep showing up until somebody stops them, for 2016 they invited Germany, Japan, and China.

• Options
    Brunch. Parade. Metric ton of beer. Nap. Salmon.

Today did not suck.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    After years of pouring from my keg through a picnic tap like a heathen I finally made an upgrade;

NbSdgPcb.jpg

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
This discussion has been closed.